• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Yeah about the calibration. I did that myself last time using some recommendations from rtings.com . I just feel like I can never tell if changing the picture settings makes it worse or better lol. I just want to get hdr right.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Just the most important one: Enjoy your TV.

Don't go out of your way to search for defects. Don't worry about burn in, if it happens that's too bad but at least you were able to enjoy your TV to its fullest.

For calibration you can always use rtings.com baseline settings that should serve you nicely for the most part.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I would not change the color settings without equipment to check the results, because you can't tell if it's getting better or worse. The LG CX has some pretty good out of the box calibration and I would just change some settings like brightness or color temperature to warm 2 (like advised on rtings.com).

And what's the reputation for best buy calibrations? Do they know what they are doing ? For me the LG "calibration" and pictures modes are good enough, I don't know if I would see a difference between that and a calibrated display.

rting quote
Most colors are slightly inaccurate, and white balance is off, but it's hard to notice.
"hard to notice" .. i mean do you really see the e.g. color delta difference between 1.9 and 1.0 if you don't have 2 TVs side by side?

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Just the most important one: Enjoy your TV.

Don't go look for defects you would never notice if you hadn't gone out of your way to look for them. Don't worry about burn in, if it happens that's too bad but at least you were able to enjoy your TV to its fullest.

For calibration you can always use RTINGS baseline settings that should serve you nicely for the most part.
Oh I definitely will thank you šŸ˜Š. The burn in if it happens it happens but I heard with these later models there's ways to prevent it and it's not as common as it used to be.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Review the HDTV Test youtube channel for CX configuration.

There, I just saved you $250.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Just got a C9 myself for next gen, so I'm keeping my eyes on this thread! Extremely worried about burn in but is it what it is.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Also check out this thread for all your settings needs

www.resetera.com

LG 2017-2023 OLEDs - Optimized Settings for Xbox One/Series X|S, PS4/PS5, Switch, PC and webOS/Movies (SDR, HDR, DV) Sony - Microsoft - Tech

Hello everyone, I would like to share my FINAL set of Optimized Settings for all LG OLEDs from 2017 to 2023 Series for both SDR / HDR / DOLBY VISION Movies & TV Shows + Xbox One/Series X|S , PC, PS4/PS5 and Switch gaming with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (from 4ms to 21ms...

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Use it. thats my tip.
Calibration: what exactly are they doing?
A colorimeter would cost you 150$ (like the SpyderX Pro)

But, even better: there are some charts/color maps that you can use to calibrate to good enough levels for personal consumption. No need to invest to much money/time into it. Just display them on your tv, and dial it in yourself.

Also: calibration changes over time since every display ages. Don't fuss about it.
Take an evening and just go through every menu, look up what it does, and check if you want it enabled, dissabled, changed,...
Play around with it, and enjoy your new tv.

Some resources:
www.rtings.com

How To Calibrate Your TV

Here is a guide to calibrating the essential settings on your TV. The first setting to adjust is the picture mode. This is what makes the biggest difference in the calibration.

RTings has a great conclusion on calibration:
Most TVs are able to achieve decent accuracy with only a few minor settings changes, most of which can be easily done by beginners at home, with no specialized equipment. For most people, having a TV professionally calibrated isn't necessary. In the end though, not everyone enjoys an accurate image, so you should adjust your TV to whatever looks best to you, adapted to your viewing conditions.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Changing the settings is not actually calibrating it, you need special tools to do so, which I guess you don't have.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
should i pay the $250 for Best Buy to come and calibrate it

Good fucking lord, i wish i had money i could wipe my asshole with.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The rtings calibration tips are a good way to go, but there are a handful of key things for me.

Firstly, unless you're in an HDR mode, don't turn your OLED light up too high (70 is the roof I've seen expressed). Going too high is just going to increase risk of burn-in.

Secondly, the rtings guide keeps mentioning Warm2 for color temp. I tend to disagree, I usually go Warm1. That's almost across the board. I'll also typically boost color up to 60 or 65.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Also check out this thread for all your settings needs

www.resetera.com

LG 2017-2023 OLEDs - Optimized Settings for Xbox One/Series X|S, PS4/PS5, Switch, PC and webOS/Movies (SDR, HDR, DV) Sony - Microsoft - Tech

Hello everyone, I would like to share my FINAL set of Optimized Settings for all LG OLEDs from 2017 to 2023 Series for both SDR / HDR / DOLBY VISION Movies & TV Shows + Xbox One/Series X|S , PC, PS4/PS5 and Switch gaming with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (from 4ms to 21ms...
Would you recommend those preset choices on the first page? Thank you for that thread ill look through it.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
The rtings calibration tips are a good way to go, but there are a handful of key things for me.

Firstly, unless you're in an HDR mode, don't turn your OLED light up too high (70 is the roof I've seen expressed). Going too high is just going to increase risk of burn-in.

Secondly, the rtings guide keeps mentioning Warm2 for color temp. I tend to disagree, I usually go Warm1. That's almost across the board. I'll also typically boost color up to 60 or 65.
Isn't warm 2 considered the industry standard I thought? I might need to try warm 1 then.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Use it. thats my tip.
Calibration: what exactly are they doing?
A colorimeter would cost you 150$ (like the SpyderX Pro)

But, even better: there are some charts/color maps that you can use to calibrate to good enough levels for personal consumption. No need to invest to much money/time into it. Just display them on your tv, and dial it in yourself.

Also: calibration changes over time since every display ages. Don't fuss about it.
Take an evening and just go through every menu, look up what it does, and check if you want it enabled, dissabled, changed,...
Play around with it, and enjoy your new tv.

Some resources:
www.rtings.com

How To Calibrate Your TV

Here is a guide to calibrating the essential settings on your TV. The first setting to adjust is the picture mode. This is what makes the biggest difference in the calibration.

RTings has a great conclusion on calibration:
Thank you for the informative write up. I'll definitely tinker with it and enjoy šŸ˜‰.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
What are some recommendations on cleaning the OLED Panel? For my last tv I used a microfiber cloth which came with a bottle of spray so I used that. Im reading that LG recommends against using the spray and just use the cloth.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I heard it is good to wait a bit with calibration when buying a new OLED as the picture might change in a few months (and thus the colors). Can anyone confirm?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

Did someone here went from the Samsung KU6500 to the LG CX ? Is there a really big gap here, image quality wise ?

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Is there a way to have the CX display the current picture info? As in, resolution, hdr on/off, etc...

Press repeatedly 5-6 times the green button with the little 3 dots and you should see the resolution / hrz etc or you can go in the Chanel setting just put the cursor on change channels or tune not sure and press #1 button 5 times which should bring you a complete description of what's going on behind the scene litterally loll

revizion

Oct 28, 2020
Press repeatedly 5-6 times the green button with the little 3 dots and you should see the resolution / hrz etc or you can go in the Chanel setting just put the cursor on change channels or tune not sure and press #1 button 5 times which should bring you a complete description of what's going on behind the scene litterally loll

Now I'm confused b/c the green button has 2 dots & the yellow button has 3....

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Just to point out most colorimeters do not come with the correct hardware color profiles for a WOLED panel like the LG CX. The meters work with filters and hardware tables to interpret readings, and without the right profiles you cannot calibrate them correctly using the included software. If you are going to buy a new colorimeter and plan to use included software, check that it supports woled.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The CX is pretty well calibrated right out of the box, $250 is too much for whatever Best Buy would do.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
What's the issue with what ppl were saying? Just that the picture doesn't look good?

That the OP has a 2017 TV and is recommending settings that don't translate to the 2020 models. There's been some discussion where some people claim the settings are fine, others say they aren't. So I think it's best to stick with the experts.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
That the OP has a 2017 TV and is recommending settings that don't translate to the 2020 models. There's been some discussion where some people claim the settings are fine, others say they aren't. So I think it's best to stick with the experts.
Oh okay thank you for the tips. Much appreciated friend šŸ™.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I just bought the 55"! Upgrading from a Samsung MU7000 to the LG CX seems like it's going to blow my mind when it comes on Sunday. Finally I get to see what 120hz and VRR is all about.