• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This person has been wanting to talk to me for some months now. We decided to go take a coffe and talk, and he introduced me to Jeunesse and it's compensation program.

Look, I'm 21 years old and fucking stupid because just now I'm learning about the professional world, but this shit REEKS of pyramid scheme. Basically sell their products, or better, emphasize on selling their name to other people, and try to recruit other people to do the same so you and your recruits gets bonuses and everybody wins through Jeunesse compensation program woo. Ok that was a really bad explanation but it's what I understood.

Another thing that reeks of pyramid scheme is the story that anybody can join in, you don't have to be anything special.

Like, I'm fucking stupid, but does someone here has any knowledge to warn me if my suspicions are correct about Jeunesse?

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Just from your description alone that's a pyramid scheme. Stay as far away from it as possible.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This person has been wanting to talk to me for some months now. We decided to go take a coffe and talk, and he introduced me to Jeunesse and it's compensation program.

Look, I'm 21 years old and fucking stupid because just now I'm learning about the professional world, but this shit REEKS of pyramid scheme. Basically sell their products, or better, emphasize on selling their name to other people, and try to recruit other people to do the same so you and your recruits gets bonuses and everybody wins through Jeunesse compensation program woo. Ok that was a really bad explanation but it's what I understood.

Another thing that reeks of pyramid scheme is the story that anybody can join in, you don't have to be anything special.

Like, I'm fucking stupid, but does someone here has any knowledge to warn me if my suspicions are correct about Jeunesse?

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
If your first assumptions is a pyramid scheme then it's a pyramid scheme.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Tell them it's a pyramid scheme and to not contact you again until they're out of the scheme.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is multilevel marketing, which is basically a legal pyramid scheme. I see people trying to sell MLM products in my Facebook feed all the time now. Avoid

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
50289124_397548154327282_8591060073117771485_n.jpg

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Tell them you'll do it if they can get five other people to sit down and convince you.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Era, is the pyramid scheme I just described a pyramid scheme?"
Like I said in the OP, I'm fucking stupid about the professional world, I'm just starting my career and have a lot to learn, this was the first time I got approached by a pyramid scheme which I only heard about what it was.

What is the product?
Cosmetics stuff, but the person emphasized on selling the brand and recruiting other people

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you need to sell their products? When you answer that you know the answer

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
That's not a pyramid scheme. It's a multi tiered, reverse profit cone!

Now have you ever considered selling herbal life products.

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said in the OP, I'm fucking stupid about the professional world, I'm just starting my career and have a lot to learn, this was the first time I got approached by a pyramid scheme which I only heard about what it was.

Cosmetics stuff, but the person emphasized on selling the brand and recruiting other people

You can just google 'Jeunesse + pyramid scheme' or 'Jeunesse + MLM'. They're a well-known multi-level marketing aka pyramid scheme.

As a general rule, if someone approaches you trying to recruit you into a company like that, it is usually an MLM.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's a scam.
Multi-level marketing. Direct marketing. Network marketing. Direct selling. All these terms translate to "scam". Only the people in early make anything and the rest either make almost nothing or lose large amounts of money.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Climb the pyramid, OP. Climb to the top, become the pharaoh, and then get buried inside the pyramid.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You can just google 'Jeunesse + pyramid scheme' or 'Jeunesse + MLM'. They're a well-known multi-level marketing aka pyramid scheme.

As a general rule, if someone approaches you trying to recruit you into a company like that, it is usually an MLM.

For real if being recruited to work at a company doesn't involve "apply for the job and I'll put in a good word for you" it's a marketing scheme.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haee

Don't beat your self up over this friendo. As you said you're young and you're only just getting exposed to the horseshit that is MLM (pyramid scams). A trusted friend of mine pulled this shit on me. We would text once in a while to keep in touch but one day he called me up and said he had an awesome business proposition for me. He was super emotional on the phone, crying at the excitement and he wanted me in on the ground floor. I had no reason not to trust him and thought he had some invention or something that he wanted help with, so I was game. He invited me to a luxurious house that was not his, but his friend's. This is a tactic they use to show you how "rich" people in the company can get to entice you, but usually its rented property for the night. Several people were there, something that he did inform me of prior to arrival. This included his friends and some family. Had us sit down and watch a video and one of the first lines I remember hearing was the dude in the video saying "this sounds like a pyramid scam, but it isn't!".

I think the company was ACN or something, I don't remember, but they offered inter and phone services and even though we were told we were operating our "own" business and selling products, it would cost us a $500 startup. We were not allowed to make phone calls in specific regions or areas, because that would cannibalize those who already had a footing in there...I was asking a lot of questions that they were not too impressed with. The real money is made by recruiting people under you, cause you get a commission off that $500 sign-up, hence why he invited his entire address book that night. Urgh, it was frustrating.

The worst thing about all this is that my friend was so emotionally wrapped up in this, trying to pull him out basically destroyed the relationship between us, I haven't spoken to him since.

Anyhow...if you're approached by someone who's telling you that you gotta front money in order to join, or buy their stock and then sell + recruitment to make money, it is always a pyramid scam.

edit: it was ACN, because stupid Donald Trump was in the video I remember watching. Did a quick youtube search.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
If you have to pay to attend a "meeting" and there's no food, that's when you know it's a pyramid scheme

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
When I was in college there was a house painting company that showed up at the end of the spring semester that was looking for people to sign up and join the team. The guys doing the promotion were in their mid 20s and seemed kinda sketchy: talked really fast, glossed over questions, promised big profits, and said we'd basically be managing our own businesses with others doing the hard work once we got started.

Of course there was some fee associated with it. One girl I knew from class was at the meeting too. She was a hard worker and I always wondered if she signed up cause she seemed super into it. I got a weird vibe from the guys and it definitely felt too good to be true so I walked. I was 20 though and if it had had a less rushed and sketchy vibe I totally could have gotten caught up in it.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
general rule of thumb, if something trigger's your "pyramid scheme" senses even a little bit, then 99% chance that yes it is a pyramid scheme

not worth sticking around for the 1% chance this is incorrect

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I almost got roped into one at the age of 20 (so pretty close to how old you are now). I was naive and hadn't had a job up to that point, so when one of my high school buds came to me about how I could be a financial adviser for a summer gig, I thought "heck yeah!" The title sounded nice and could be a great resume booster. But after mentioning it in passing to my parents, they struck some healthy skepticism into me by telling me who the heck would hire me to be an FA without certification/training and without even a bachelors. So I did some research online and quickly realized it was a MLM.

Tried to convince my friend to bail on it too (but not before he got his supervisor to call me on my personal phone number to convince me to join; that phone call definitely triggered my alarm bells). I was kinda shocked at how adamantly he denied that he was in a MLM. I always pegged him as someone who was street smart. I think from that point, I distanced myself from him and our friendship withered. I met him a couple years later briefly, and wanted to ask him so badly about it, but decided not to.