• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
If it's been a year or more since your last raise - ask for a raise - but ask for the maximum amount you think they realistically give you, not just $1. Look for something new regardless - even just as a backup.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you taking a higher position with no pay raise? If anything, you should have negotiated that. Don't mention her wages, try and negotiate based on your new position?

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Believe me, I was pissed that the promotion didn't come with a raise, I was going to mention during our annual raise that I deserve a bigger raise, however with this now I'm extra pissed.

Also no reason for her to lie, a previous manager who got fired was getting paid the same as her.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If you are in the USA, I believe it is technically illegal for an employer to retaliate or enforce any policy that prevents talk of salary amongst coworkers unless you are a government employee. Though, that doesn't mean they can't retaliate under some fake reason.

Who's going to take the time and money to sue instead of just moving on? Retaliation is rampant and HR works WITH the company to accomplish this.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Believe me, I was pissed that the promotion didn't come with a raise, I was going to mention during our annual raise that I deserve a bigger raise, however with this now I'm extra pissed.

Also no reason for her to lie, a previous manager who got fired was getting paid the same as her.

If they don't want to pay you what you think you are worth then they probably wont pay you what you're worth. In your shoes I would take the title change and start applying for a new job.

Mortis

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even have to be fake. There are usually reasons they could fire/punish you unless you are the perfect employee. Those days you ran late and nobody gave a shit? If you get on their bad side it will suddenly matter and it's hard to argue that it wasn't the "real" reason you were termed unless you want to deal with the courts. Depending on the company and where you live, union status, etc. it may differ, but personally I don't want to do anything that would put me on an "adversarial" relationship with my employer. But then again I like where I work, so that matters too.
Who's going to take the time and money to sue instead of just moving on? Retaliation is rampant and HR works WITH the company to accomplish this.
Yeah, you definitely wouldn't want to try anything unless you had the means to defend yourself, or had the intent to leave. Many states are completely at will, and can use any tiny thing to justify termination.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Is that some general rule in the USA?
It's absolutely a "rule" that employers encourage, but it is illegal to actually enforce. I made sure when I worked retail anyone knew what I made. I wasn't allowed to disclose anyone else's pay as a manager, but nobody could stop me from revealing my own.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I was about 2.5 years into my old construction job the boss asked me to look at his computer. Everyone's hourly rates were in one of the open windows, clearly visible. The guy they'd just hired with no experience was making $2 an hour more than me.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Ask for a raise. The reason bosses don't like sharing who makes what is to keep you ignorant and not asking for what you deserve.

I really wish workers and supervisors would be more open to having this discussion. If someone asks for a raise and doesn't get it they get all bent out of shape. If someone asks for a raise in the first place their supervisor gets bent out of shape.

I understand that these things aren't normalized on purpose, but I wish there was more maturity around the discussion in general.

Your supervisor should be able to tell you "we're paying this person more than you because even though the workload is the same they are more qualified and we see long-term value in retaining with the company." There are plenty of times that people are intentionally compensated differently for the same job title.

These are hard conversations to have without creating animosity, even if it is one-sided. Because, at the management/leadership level, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for two laterally ranked employees to get paid differently and none of them are easy to say or hear.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The best way to get a raise is to switch jobs unfortunately. Maybe your coworker negotiated better, but they're not going to retroactively give you a raise just because a new employee is being paid more than you.

Talk to your boss about a raise. Be prepared to justify why you deserve it. List out your accomplishments, your change of duty, how much the job typically pays in the industry.

If they are not willing to give you a raise, work out a plan with your boss so that you can get one after review. If it doesn't happen, your only other choice is to accept it or to find another job.

Be prepared for them not to be able to do anything. Unfortunately, for companies it's easier to pay a new hire more than it is to give existing staff a raise. It's even harder in a pandemic.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Pragmatic solution - take that payless raise, then in 3 months apply at other companies/places at that new positions level.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
if you're in the USA, you can likely talk about your salary openly, no matter what policy is in your office, and any enforcement of such a rule is likely against the law:

www.govdocs.com

Can Employees Discuss Pay and Salaries?

In recent years, this discussion has primarily focused on hiring and whether prospective employees can be asked about their salary history.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if you're in the USA, you can likely talk about your salary openly, no matter what policy is in your office, and any enforcement of such a rule is likely against the law:

www.govdocs.com

Can Employees Discuss Pay and Salaries?

In recent years, this discussion has primarily focused on hiring and whether prospective employees can be asked about their salary history.
Why does no one read the thread?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This happened in my team a few years ago. We'd been there for years and were training four new people and learned they made $15/hour whereas we made $14 (and some cents for those who had been there longer). It was just insulting. Someone from our team decided to send an email to HR to show our discontent and we all signed it. They weren't happy we did that because salary is confidential, bla bla bla, bullshit, but they said they were gonna raise people soon. We got a $1 raise not too long after but I'm not convinced it was due to our email, I think it was gonna happen regardless and they had just upped the starting wage earlier than they did the raises they were planning on.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
During my initial training of any new employee, I usually tell them how much I make. It is important for them to know where they start vs where they can end up. Since management keeps everything hush hush, all of us coders are very open with each other about our pay/bonuses/raises. We're all in the same boat together so we help one another out.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You got a promotion, did you ask for a raise? Either you ask for a raise or you don't, that's all there is to it really. If you feel you should get paid more and they don't agree you can look for opportunities at other companies or determine if you can meet whatever requirement they would give you to justify a pay increase.

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
Definitely don't bring up your coworker/friend. Instead, use that information to ask for a proper raise when you get the opportunity.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This happened in my team a few years ago. We'd been there for years and were training four new people and learned they made $15/hour whereas we made $14 (and some cents for those who had been there longer). It was just insulting. Someone from our team decided to send an email to HR to show our discontent and we all signed it. They weren't happy we did that because salary is confidential, bla bla bla, bullshit, but they said they were gonna raise people soon. We got a $1 raise not too long after but I'm not convinced it was due to our email, I think it was gonna happen regardless and they had just upped the starting wage earlier than they did the raises they were planning on.
Happens a lot with minimum wage increasing annually like it is in a lot of states.

You get hired on making 50 cents more than minimum, for example. Minimum goes up 75 cents, you get a 25 cent raise. The new guys get the new minimum plus the 50 cents for the positions.

It's bullshit, but it's common. Not sure if that's what you were experiencing, but it sounds similar.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think a lot of employers would prefer that you NOT discuss salary, as it does lead to a lot of drama, especially with regard to people who simply don't deserve to be paid as much as the higher-paid employees. That said, legal or not, I think the problem with discussing salary is that it's one thing for a person to discuss their own salary, but it's an entirely different thing for someone else to discuss another person's salary. As is the case with something posted online, once it's out there, it's out there for good, and not everyone is mature enough to use that information responsibly.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One time my sister's boss was getting my sister ready to take over her job. The boss retired, and my sister was given her position. She was also expected to still do her current workload. The boss had been making more than triple what my sister made. My sister was told that a raise of any kind was not on the table. She quit on the spot, with no backup plan. They didn't blink.
They tried to fill both positions with low-paid temps. Eventually they filled the department head position with someone who'd been at the company for years, but in a different department.
The business failed in six months. They'd been consistently profitable for 50 years before she left.

Last edited:

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I would say negotiate for a better wage or leave if they don't offer it... but the situation the world is in right now with the pandemic and people not having jobs, I personally wouldn't recommend walking away unless you have a GUARANTEED position to go to.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Get your resume together, ask for a raise and double down if they deny you.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
She negotiated a better wage than you.

Remember to aim high when an Interviewer asks you, "What kind of salary are you seeking?".

It's happened to me also. I learned it doesn't hurt to ask for something high and then meet in the middle.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you agreed to a promotion that doesn't come with a pay raise. More responsibilities for the same pay? Fuck that.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Go to your manager and ask for an increase. Use your experience, new responsibilities, and what the current industry average is.

Don't expect them to give it to you just because.

And believe me, I know how much this sucks. I've had to do the exact thing (hire someone new to the organization at a higher salary than someone on my team with experience).

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
I think a lot of folks are afraid to upset the apple cart in 2020.
But I remember back in the days, the implied rule was that you never discussed compensation. Now that I think of it the rule was never published in the employee handbook. It was always implied so that unions would never be discussed when folks found out the discrepancies in compensation. This was in the southern USA in the 80's and 90's. It was probably something the Chamber of Commerce taught executives and owners. "Don't rock the boat!".

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
pretty sure studies have shown you have faster career advancement hopping between places
I once left a job and came back a year later. Everyone was upset that as the "newest" manager I made significantly more money than them lol. Retail tends to have pretty strict pay guides, and it's just a fact that having outside experience meant as a "new" hire I was worth more - they couldn't pay me less even if they wanted according to policy.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Same position you SHOULD get the same pay, however people coming from different companies usually always get paid more, that's how you usually get a decent bump in your wage.

I would not rat her out, but you should maybe ask for a pay rise.

You could say like the market values this position at x amount, I think I deserve y amount.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if you are getting a new position ask for an increase there. Don't worry about the other people around you, set a goal in your head for how much you want to make and go do it.

Oct 26, 2017
My company always says to not discuss your salary---but they say it in a kind of, "We're making this sound like it's a rule, but it isn't a rule, but I want you to be confused enough about it to treat it as one and not talk about your salary."

As others said---just ask for a raise.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
My company always says to not discuss your salary---but they say it in a kind of, "We're making this sound like it's a rule, but it isn't a rule, but I want you to be confused enough about it to treat it as one and not talk about your salary."

As others said---just ask for a raise.

I worked at a firm once where a new HR person actually tried this crap, imagine telling a bunch of lawyers something that any HR person should know is against the law to a bunch of ATTORNEYS. Needless to say, nobody listened to that "rule."

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously, she shouldn't have told you anyways, but the whole HR thing can get messy, so yeah...
It is illegal for an employer to ban their workers from discussing their salary.
The enforcment of our labor laws is a joke and it can be hard to prove why your employer punish you, but legally they can't do anything.
It's also good to discuss your salary with your coworkers, not talking about it only cause people to get paid less than what they deserve, which often goes alone predictable race and gender lines.

I always tell all my co-workers my salary. It's weird that it's an awkard thing for so many Americans, but I think it's only for the best for people here to get over it.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
When i was a kid, i found out that some of my coworkers were making more an hour than I was, so I made a big deal about it. They gave me a pretty good raise at the time and then made a big deal about not talking about how much people make. They don't want people talking because they want to get away with paying people less if they can, and it sucks. Could you or her get in trouble for talking pay? Sure, but fuck them for paying someone they don't rely on as much more money. Or fuck them for thinking its okay to pay you less. Either way, fuck them.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I think you know what you have to do op get a raise or find a new job.

I'm in a union so in general we all know how much we make but there are certain jobs/roles that demand a higher salary than what the cba dictates. When it comes to those jobs I always bring up salary to make sure guys are getting paid and are aware what those jobs generally pay and even come with perks if you ask for it.