• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The weirdest thing about this game (well, they did it in Dream Drop Distance, too) was how they dropped 80% of the story in the last few hours. Some of these twenty minute cutscenes could have happened earlier after beating a set amount of worlds, like they did in Kingdom Hearts II. It really does become kind of exhausting. The actual worlds themselves were very good though and quite fun overall.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Cutscene direction is so odd and bad in KH3 that I almost think it's a design choice based on other things like the 7 remake lol

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I still don't understand when Mickey said "Aqua is a lot like Sora" and Riku nearly has a heart attack and goes "WHAAAAATT!!?!!" causing Mickey to go "No no no no, I just mean LIKE Sora"

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe that's exactly why it's so stilted in English. If English is the Canon version I guess, that means Nomura was probably more hands on with it and with him not being really an English speaker, it makes even more sense why it feels so off. Instead of just handing it off to someone to translate and localize, he probably had a bigger part in it.

Not at all. Nomura doesn't mess with the localization because of his lack of familiarity with the English language. He has Yasue proofread things since he's fluent but he's not really involved with the story and has a gazillion other things to do as co-director.

It's stilted in English for a number of reasons. Having to match the timing of the Japanese script for example. They also have the Japanese voice director is also on call during overseas recording sessions, which doesn't seem like a great method due to the language barrier as they're only listening to the sound and tone. But even without that, voice direction for this series has always been hit or miss.

Hopefully MoM is an indication that they're making improvements since Kirk Thorton is credited with voice direction for that game. Having someone experienced with both the series and its voiceover process should be helpful.

I still don't understand when Mickey said "Aqua is a lot like Sora" and Riku nearly has a heart attack and goes "WHAAAAATT!!?!!" causing Mickey to go "No no no no, I just mean LIKE Sora"

"Like Sora" = a dumbass

So he had to clarify that she's *strong* like him.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Wtf is the difference between Dark Riku and Replica Riku UGHHHH

Like someone said they're the same person. Riku Replica is the guy you beat in COM and upon his defeat his heart ends up in the Realm of Darkness. Dark Riku is him before his defeat (which is why he's still evil and cocky) but before you find that out the game makes you think he's the Ansem-possessed Riku you fight in KH1.

Riku thought Mickey was implying that Aqua is a big dumb-dumb like Sora when he was implying that she's steadfast and strong-hearted, also like Sora.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest gripes with KH3 were fixed with the updates and Re:Mind but I really wish a lot of Re:Mind was just put into the base game.

Still wish Twilight Town was fleshed out more and that story wasn't loaded into the latter bit of the second half of the game.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The cutscenes were so poorly directed, shot and voiced that I ended up skipping them when playing, pausing the game then finding the corresponding scene on youtube at 1.5 speed. I was ready to forgive the dumb dialogue - it is Kingdom Hearts after all - but watching a bunch of weird 3d Unity plastic dolls talk at each other instead of with each other (complete with notable dead air between every line of dialogue) was grating to me. Made me really worried for FF7 remake, and was legitimately surprised how human everyone sounded in that game, opposed to this. The voice direction was terrible across the board - prior games' voice acting was much better directed (barring Terra from BBS).

The first scene of this video was a standout in my head, because it was so unlike any other scene. They talk over each other! And as hammy as their performance is, I'll take it over everyone's "dead inside" tone any day, was a fresh of breath air. Upon rewatching it just now, it's not even amazing, but a cutscene that is simply acceptable really stands out when literally every other cutscene in the game is subpar at best.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember, and not that this necessarily has a bearing on what you said, (might though) is that the game is "canonically in english" because it's Disney inpsired, Nomura views the english version as the official version.
Regardless, the team is still Japanese, so some stuff probably comes off better in Japanese.

Also, am I the only person who like, didn't have any issue with the story up to Kingdom Hearts 2? Kingdom Hearts 2 didn't bother me at all, but then things really went off the rails for me.
DDD is honestly where it goes off the rails. BBS story I loved, it provided some really cool answers and a tragic backstory

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cutscenes were horribly directed, with dumb awkward pauses. Not saying the dialogue was amazing or anything, but it'd be a lot better if it was timed properly.
Vanilla KH3 was a good game. Since the Critical update and the Re:Mind DLC, it's amazing. Those Data Boss fights and Secret Boss fight are some of the best fights in all of gaming, period.
Agreed on the last part. I'm glad I waited to play it until after remind came out. Playing it in critical mode from the start and doing the Data boss fights was a really, really fun experience.

I have many gripes with how some characters were handled, but overall I enjoyed it a whole lot.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure the kingdom hearts in 1/2 are just artificial and not the real deal. Either way the entire concept of this evil dude making 2 fake doorways is the must asinine shit ever. I've tried asking diehard fans of the lore how this tracks logically and the best answer I got was that Xemnas/Ansem didn't have Xehanort's full breadth of knowledge so they carried out his plan the wrong way.

I guess KH2 never directly stated the one in KH1 was artificial. It was confirmed in like DDD or something. The issue arises where KH2 has the villains chasing to build a kingdom hearts separate from the one we see in KH1. It kind of just takes away from the accomplishments of the first game as apparently there's like multiple ways to get to kingdom hearts. There was a simplicity that was lost and the concept becomes crazy muddled with 2.

I am not so sure about the KH in 1, but I am pretty sure it has been said in secret files or something that Xemnas created the artifical KH in 2 specifically to use its power to infuse his heart into every Org 13 member and Nort-ify them. From there he planned on clashing against light, forging the X-blade, and using that to summon and unlock the true KH. Xemnas does say that the Org getting wrecked in 2 was actually a good thing since it highlighted which members weren't cut out for the job.

Jul 24, 2018
I think the combat in KH3 is vastly better than KH2 since they added in all the new abilities with ReMind and the patches. KH2 feels limiting in compariso, the boss fights in the actual game though is lacking compared to that game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Huge KH fan. I said for over a decade that it's my favorite game franchise, but I haven't said it since KH3 came out. It's beautiful, but the stories for each world made me feel like Sora was just a passenger along for the ride and hardly doing anything most of the time for the Disney stories, and the way the overall plot tied into those Disney worlds felt very inorganic. The plot moves at a snail's pace until the end. I really loved the last few hours of the game, because they gave me conclusions to theories I and others had for years (things like Ansem's guardian being Terra had me really excited to see confirmed). I just wish the rest of the game was as entertaining. The combat didn't grab me much, because of the over-reliance on attractions, I think? I just recall not being very engaged. I suppose I also missed forms, though the combat definitely didn't bore me. I still had fun with that most of the time. For me, the game was very disappointing. I hope to enjoy the next main entry more.

Maybe I'll enjoy 3 more when I get Re:mind. The Japanese version is still too expensive, so I haven't bought it yet.

Sora has never felt well integrated into the Disney plots imo, and since like 2 and even parts of 1, he has felt more like a passenger in a story that isn't his own with his story being badly paced with the meat almost fully at the very beginning and very end. Also attractions can be like fully ignored even in the base game (that's how I played), and forms are the best implemented here imo.

Crit + re:Mind helps a ton by adding some more abilities to help sora feel better as well as just generally having some of the best bosses legitimately ever.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It can't be overstated how great the ReMIND bosses are. I've never played a game with super hard bosses like Souls, I never even did KH2FM data battles. But I thought I'd give it a shot in KH3 since I bought the DLC anyway. They were indeed hard. But they were one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Single handedly made all of organization XIII some of my favorite villains of all time too. The connection you feel to a strong boss is crazy

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020

The first scene of this video was a standout in my head, because it was so unlike any other scene. They talk over each other! And as hammy as their performance is, I'll take it over everyone's "dead inside" tone any day, was a fresh of breath air. Upon rewatching it just now, it's not even amazing, but a cutscene that is simply acceptable really stands out when literally every other cutscene in the game is subpar at best.

Also the characters are actually allowed to emote and gesticulate, look at how much energy Demyx has and how Vexen's barely able to restrain himself from walking away from this manchild. Others have mentioned how KH1 had a different and better cutscene director and you can really tell the difference in scenes like this:

(The first 2 minutes)

So many little character tics: Donald off-camera correcting Goofy with a raised finger, the Queen of Hearts tapping her wand on the stand around 1:46 as some mix of curiosity and defiance. Adds a lot of flavor even to small scenes like this.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Sora has never felt well integrated into the Disney plots imo, and since like 2 and even parts of 1, he has felt more like a passenger in a story that isn't his own with his story being badly paced with the meat almost fully at the very beginning and very end. Also attractions can be like fully ignored even in the base game (that's how I played), and forms are the best implemented here imo.

Crit + re:Mind helps a ton by adding some more abilities to help sora feel better as well as just generally having some of the best bosses legitimately ever.
More abilities does sound nice...

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
You enjoyed collecting all the crabs and the drawn-out boat battles? I guess we just enjoy different things, but I thought that world was not fun.
That's what I hated about Caribbean too, which is a shame because it looked beautiful. I liked the rest of the worlds though, and the game in general, even though I agree with the criticism about the super cheesy cutscenes and wasn't really a fan of attractions.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
KH never had stellar voice acting but KH3 was awful

Dissidia NT also had bad voicing. Did both games have the same voice director?

and the pacing was so weird. you fuck around in disney worlds and don't face any organization 13 members or disney villains like in 2 and then in the final world the story gets going and you fight every organization member in the game, go through a 3 phase xehanort battle that uses 1 song for every phase that uses Terra's leitmotif for some reason