• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
So I was extremely lucky to get the Series S even though I bought the Series X on the Microsoft store. (Long story) so I'm a bit confused. In order to get faster load times for some games if not all, you have to download them on the internal hard drive to get that experience?

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
So I was extremely lucky to get the Series S even though I bought the Series X on the Microsoft store. (Long story) so I'm a bit confused. In order to get faster load times for some games if not all, you have to download them on the internal hard drive to get that experience?
Yes to load faster you need to put it on the drive that loads faster.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Congrats. Yes, in order to get all the console benefits is best to install the games in the internal drive. You can also get the same results with the official external drive.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
no. an external SSD will load back-compat games at nearly identical speeds as the internal NVMe drive. this has been known for about a month. an external HDD will be a bit slower, but not that much slower.

but "optimized for series x/s" games will *only* install on internal NVMe, or the Seagate proprietary 1TB card.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
no. an external SSD will load back-compat games at nearly identical speeds as the internal NVMe drive. this has been known for about a month. an external HDD will be a bit slower, but not that much slower.

but "optimized for series x/s" games will *only* install on internal NVMe, or the Seagate proprietary 1TB card.
This is correct. I tried to play Forza 4 off the external and it DID NOT work.

Best set up for me is internal for X/S games, SSD for back compat games, and a bulk HDD for storage (so I never have to re-download anything.)

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Best set up for me is internal for X/S games, SSD for back compat games, and a bulk HDD for storage (so I never have to re-download anything.)
Forza 4 has an optimized for X|S version, which makes sense it doesn't work from externals.

I don't believe you aren't getting the Xbox One version on an X|S

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How else would you get the faster loading speeds? It's not magic.
Well the faster CPU does decompress XB1 games faster, so loading off an external HDD is significantly quicker than it was (although obviously not as fast as the internal SSD).
Forza 4 has an optimized for X|S version, which makes sense it doesn't work from externals.

I don't believe you aren't getting the Xbox One version on an X|S
That's a bit limiting. Is there no way to choose the BC version from the store if you want to run it from the external?

Naner

Oct 27, 2017

Forza Horizon 4 is X|S optimized.

Try Forza Motorsport 7 or Forza Horizon 3 and see what happens.

And it's an SSD, not a hard drive.

OP
OP
Derktron

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I figured as much, I guess I'll download some games that I want to see the benefits from on my Series S since it didn't come with a lot of memory.

bluemax38

Nov 3, 2020
sure, but at that point, we're splitting hairs a bit. that's not an "install," it's a "backup."

I'm really confused about this. For example, MW/Warzone are listed as X|S optimised in my games library but I'm able to play them from the external SSD I have... Does this mean that it's not actually fully optimised?

OP
OP
Derktron

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I'm really confused about this. For example, MW/Warzone are listed as X|S optimised in my games library but I'm able to play them from the external SSD I have... Does this mean that it's not actually fully optimised?
Same, I'm able to play Call Of Duty Black Ops, even if the servers are down and some games that are optimized for X/S.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Are you sure you have the optimised (cross-gen bundle) version though?