• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yesterday at night everything was just as usual, when suddenly I started to notice this weird colorful disruption at the lower part of the computer screen. At first I thought my eyes were just adjusting to some new screen or light but it wasn't going away. As I started to look around I noticed it had nothing to do with the screen and was just something that was there no matter where I looked. It was this weird ball shape blurr surrounded by very bright and changing colors. It was on the lower right of my vision of vision, not quite at the center but easily enough to notice that I could make no mistake it was there.

Further investigation told me not only it was in both eyes, but it was still there even if I closed them both. This whole thing might have taken some 15 minutes, than I decided to google: "weird color edge vision" and the very first result was thsi one: "PSYCHEDELIC, SURREAL, MULTI-COLOURED SHAPES IN MY VISION!". It was quite an accurate description. It was like there was a lot of small pieces of glass on my left side constantly moving and zigzagging. If I wans't convinced I surely must either be having a stroke or a brain turmor and would be dead in 3 months, I might even have quite enjoyed it.

It changed ships a bit and there was an additional blurry spot on the center of my vision at one time. It was something like this, but constantly shifting.

kaledscopes-blog.png

Anyway After some 40 minutes or so it was gone. Just like that. As I understand it's nothing to worry about too much. I'm be going to an eye doctor just in case but wished to share this here to see who else had the dubious pleasure of an ocular/visual migrane.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
My supervisor gets these. Says it can be incredibly distracting and scary when behind the wheel. Also described them as kind of colorful and psychadelic.

And here I thought he was full of shit. Very weird.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get them a lot. I also have a ton of floaters and occasionally I'll weird spark kind of draw a line across my vision. If you're getting them for the first time I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Oh btw the spot itself is called a scintillating scotoma.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have those on the regular tied to my chronic migraine and yeah, they can be really distracting and obnoxious to deal with. They usually precede the headache part of my migraines if it comes down fast, but I've also had them when I had issues with circulation/blood pressure.

Have you been hydrating well, OP? With the heat, more than ever, it's important!

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Sorry to hear that, this has been happening to me for 10+ years around every month. Sucks when I'm trying to work or something but oh well it always goes away after like 45 minutes. If it does keep happening you'll get used to it, it's annoying each time but it's just one of those things I guess.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday at night everything was just as usual, when suddenly I started to notice this weird colorful disruption at the lower part of the computer screen. At first I thought my eyes were just adjusting to some new screen or light but it wasn't going away. As I started to look around I noticed it had nothing to do with the screen and was just something that was there no matter where I looked. It was this weird ball shape blurr surrounded by very bright and changing colors. It was on the lower right of my vision of vision, not quite at the center but easily enough to notice that I could make no mistake it was there.

Further investigation told me not only it was in both eyes, but it was still there even if I closed them both. This whole thing might have taken some 15 minutes, than I decided to google: "weird color edge vision" and the very first result was thsi one: "PSYCHEDELIC, SURREAL, MULTI-COLOURED SHAPES IN MY VISION!". It was quite an accurate description. It was like there was a lot of small pieces of glass on my left side constantly moving and zigzagging. If I wans't convinced I surely must either be having a stroke or a brain turmor and would be dead in 3 months, I might even have quite enjoyed it.

It changed ships a bit and there was an additional blurry spot on the center of my vision at one time. It was something like this, but constantly shifting.

kaledscopes-blog.png

Anyway After some 40 minutes or so it was gone. Just like that. As I understand it's nothing to worry about too much. I'm be going to an eye doctor just in case but wished to share this here to see who else had the dubious pleasure of an ocular/visual migrane.
Those are the only migraines I get, and they suck. I have to lay down in the dark for an hour or so to get rid of them. Glad I don't get the headache part afterwards though.

Last edited:

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good representation of what I see too. It's suddenly very scary when you don't take your vision for granted.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
My supervisor gets these. Says it can be incredibly distracting and scary when behind the wheel. Also described them as kind of colorful and psychadelic.

And here I thought he was full of shit. Very weird.

It's definitely a real thing. As much as you believe in reality that is. I'm quite a wuss in the driver seat so I would be definitely try to stop the car as soon as possible.

I get them a lot. I also have a ton of floaters and occasionally I'll weird spark kind of draw a line across my vision. If you're getting them for the first time I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

Oh btw the spot itself is called a scintillating scotoma.

Yep, that's it.

I have those on the regular tied to my chronic migraine and yeah, they can be really distracting and obnoxious to deal with. They usually precede the headache part of my migraines if it comes down fast, but I've also had them when I had issues with circulation/blood pressure.

Have you been hydrating well, OP? With the heat, more than ever, it's important!

I'm the south so not heat (at least not much of it), it's definitely not cold either. Anyway, I was thinking about what might have caused it and come up with nothing. It was quite an ordinary day.

Sorry to hear that, this has been happening to me for 10+ years around every month. Sucks when I'm trying to work or something but oh well it always goes away after like 45 minutes. If it does keep happening you'll get used to it, it's annoying each time but it's just one of those things I guess.

The main problem for me is that I didn't know what the hell was happening. When I closed my eyes and the stuff that still there I just concluded that it was in my brain and that I was screwed.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I will. Although 24 hours after the incident everything is normal.

Classic scinitillating scotoma. Typically an aura or warning sign of an impending migraine (though is migrainous activity itself) but it can be seen without the headache/migraine issue (also called acephalgic migraine).

From your description, this is not retinal detachment. Those may have light flashes, but typically have more negative phenomena (loss of vision, "curtain" being pulled over the eye, peripheral vision loss and essentially progressive blindness) as opposed to the scotomas which have more of the positive phenomena of "wavy lines, moving across your visual field."

Stay hydrated, sleep well. Take some ibuprofen/naproxen or Tylenol or if you're not caffeine averse, drink some coffee/take excedrin, especially if these progress to migraines.

/neurologist

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
The main problem for me is that I didn't know what the hell was happening. When I closed my eyes and the stuff that still there I just concluded that it was in my brain and that I was screwed.
Oh I don't blame you, the first time for me I thought I'd just looked at a lamp too long or something and definitely freaked out when it didn't go away. It worried me a lot the first few times actually but it made me feel better when I eventually looked it up and realized it was a known thing and that I wasn't going blind or something.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah I've had these since I was about 14. They've eased off in adulthood though. The way I described them to people was the cloaking visual effect from Predator in the corner of my vision. Did you throw up afterwards? That's always how my migraines ended.

If you have the symptoms again I'd recommend getting some preventative migraine tablets. The moment I saw the visual distortion, I would take them and only end up with a slight head ache and minor nausea. They would stop the migraine from lasting for days as well.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Classic scinitillating scotoma. Typically an aura or warning sign of an impending migraine (though is migrainous activity itself) but it can be seen without the headache/migraine issue (also called acephalgic migraine).

From your description, this is not retinal detachment. Those may have light flashes, but typically have more negative phenomena (loss of vision, "curtain" being pulled over the eye, peripheral vision loss and essentially progressive blindness) as opposed to the scotomas which have more of the positive phenomena of "wavy lines, moving across your visual field."

Stay hydrated, sleep well. Take some ibuprofen/naproxen or Tylenol or if you're not caffeine averse, drink some coffee/take excedrin, especially if these progress to migraines.

/neurologist

Luckily I didn't have any further problem. It happened late at night and I went to sleep soon after. Just as soon as I new for sure it was gone and I felt confident that I would either die on my sleep or wake up blind. I did wake up with a suggestion of headache but it was gone soon.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Luckily I didn't have any further problem. It happened late at night and I went to sleep soon after. Just as soon as I new for sure it was gone and I felt confident that I would either die on my sleep or wake up blind. I did wake up with a suggestion of headache but it was gone soon.

That's good. Obviously try to avoid caffeine if these happen late at night and maybe go ibuprofen/naproxen solo.

If that's not knocking it out, see a PCP for like a sumatriptan script or something.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah I've had these since I was about 14. They've eased off in adulthood though. The way I described them to people was the cloaking visual effect from Predator in the corner of my vision. Did you throw up afterwards? That's always how my migraines ended.

Hah that a good analogy, only very colorful for me. It was like the a prims-diffused light under moving water.

It's quite weird to know that other people had this. In a way it feels very intimate because it's something you see.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can only echo Fman's suggestions (but I am not a neurologist, I just went to see one).

As said, it might have been your circulation or blood pressure being a bit iffy at that moment, so I would definitely recommend taking your blood pressure for a few days if you have a measuring device, see if there's any anomalies. Otherwise, keep some Ibuprofen handy and if it happens during the day, caffeine helps, as does a good nap. If it happens more frequently or the migraines get worse, definitely see a neurologist.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I get these every time I have a migraine. About half of the time I just experience the aura but the pain never actually ends up happening, but I always anticipate it.

I was in my early 20s the first time it happened and it scared the crap out of me.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I got these once a month or so through my 20s. Had to leave work a few times because I couldn't see enough to do my job.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I get these once or twice a year on average. Usually after not drinking enough water for a day or two and/or wearing tight pants and sitting too long.

As soon as I notice the lines, I immediately go and pound back as much water as I possibly can, almost to the point of puking, and lay down. If I am quick enough, it's gone within 5-10 minutes. It has taken up to a few hours before though.

A precursor to this for me is the loss of peripheral vision. If I all of a sudden realize my vision has become a bit tunneled, I know one of these are coming.

Sasha

Oct 27, 2017
I recently had this for the first time and I would describe it as some kind of "diamond sparkle" in your vision.
Was a bit scary because I didn't know what the hell was going on but thankfully it didn't last very long.

Oct 27, 2017
I get these when I don't hydrate, too much caffeine, too much stress, sedentary too long , or especially with too much time looking at screens. Freaky but it's only happened about 4 or 5 times for me

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My son used to get those when he was 5 or so. It was crazy because he was talking about all the floating colors. The doctor nailed it though, which was awesome.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Sof, I get these too. There is a prescribed pill you can take on the onset of it and it lessen the duration and prevents (or lessens) an overwhelming headache that many times happens afterwards.

Discuss this with your doctor so you can get the pill to help out if it happens again.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I get these between every few years. Half an hour later the most intense pain kicks in and feels like you have hot needles being pushed in to your eyes. Only sleeping helps, painkillers do nothing.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My migraines are horrible, I get them when the barometric pressure has wild swings (usually spring/fall when it goes hot to cold to hot again real quick).

My migraines usually always consist of the following events:

1) My vision becomes filled with starbursts (similar to the OP's 'visual migraine') that make it seem like I can see through things. Think: Spot-blindness.

2) Either my left or right hand will go numb / tingly. If my left hand goes numb, about 20 minutes later, my opposite leg will go numb, so in this case, it'd be my right leg.

3) The numbness in my hand and leg will go away, and my tongue will start to tingle like coming out from freezing at the dentist. This is usually the last step before the worst happens...

4) I lose the ability to properly speak and form sentences, and while I can talk, I speak about what I'm visualizing in my mind. For instance, when someone called the house, I was asked who it was, I responded with "the man with the hand". When pressed for further info, I said "The man with the phone in his hand" -- because in my mind I was picturing someone holding a phone to his head.

After this point, If I hadn't made my way to bed, I pretty much need to lay down and pass out, as I'll get chills if I don't.

My migraines are BRUTAL and Thankfully I don't get them as often as an adult any more, they were the worst in my teens/early 20s.

Because of this thread, it was the first time I saw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(symptom) - and man, my list checks out:

• Kaleidoscope effects on visual field
  • Temporary blindness in one or both eyes[6][7]
  • Heightened sensitivity to light
    • Bright lights and blobs
    • Zigzag lines
  • Blind or dark spots in the field of vision
  • Numbness or tingling sensation (Paresthesia)[7]
  • Weakness on one side of the body (Hemiparesis)[7]
  • Feeling of overheating and sudden perspiration
  • Inability to speak (Aphasia) or slurred speech
  • Confusion; forgetting how to do common tasks or comprehend spoken words

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
My migraines are horrible, I get them when the barometric pressure has wild swings (usually spring/fall when it goes hot to cold to hot again real quick).

My migraines usually always consist of the following events:

1) My vision becomes filled with starbursts (similar to the OP's 'visual migraine') that make it seem like I can see through things. Think: Spot-blindness.

2) Either my left or right hand will go numb / tingly. If my left hand goes numb, about 20 minutes later, my opposite leg will go numb, so in this case, it'd be my right leg.

3) The numbness in my hand and leg will go away, and my tongue will start to tingle like coming out from freezing at the dentist. This is usually the last step before the worst happens...

4) I lose the ability to properly speak and form sentences, and while I can talk, I speak about what I'm visualizing in my mind. For instance, when someone called the house, I was asked who it was, I responded with "the man with the hand". When pressed for further info, I said "The man with the phone in his hand" -- because in my mind I was picturing someone holding a phone to his head.

After this point, If I hadn't made my way to bed, I pretty much need to lay down and pass out, as I'll get chills if I don't.

My migraines are BRUTAL and Thankfully I don't get them as often as an adult any more, they were the worst in my teens/early 20s.

Because of this thread, it was the first time I saw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(symptom) - and man, my list checks out:

• Kaleidoscope effects on visual field
  • Temporary blindness in one or both eyes[6][7]
  • Heightened sensitivity to light
    • Bright lights and blobs
    • Zigzag lines
  • Blind or dark spots in the field of vision
  • Numbness or tingling sensation (Paresthesia)[7]
  • Weakness on one side of the body (Hemiparesis)[7]
  • Feeling of overheating and sudden perspiration
  • Inability to speak (Aphasia) or slurred speech
  • Confusion; forgetting how to do common tasks or comprehend spoken words

Wow. Did you have to do any treatment or they got less frequent by themselves?

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I have an ex girlfriend who did acid several times and she would occasionally get colorful shapes and prisms in her vision. She never said that it was related to migraines but that's what I thought of reading your description. What others have suggested sounds more plausible for you.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I get these about once a year. Once I see that "thing" I know a tremendous headache and nausea are on the way for a couple of hours. Completely debilitating.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I get these about once every three years. They come with no pain and I usually just sit in a dark room for about 10 minutes til it goes away, but those are 10 really frightening minutes because, as others said, it is also very similar to what you see when you retinas are detaching, of which I'm a prime candidate for and have been my entire life. So even if you haven't had any previous issues, you should go get your retinas checked.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I get these sometimes, but it's never a blast of color like that. It's a bunch of (actually pretty beautiful) silver star things that sparkle in front of me for a minute or two. It would be interesting if my head didn't also hurt along with it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The aura for my migraines is black and blue blotches on my peripheral vision. Lasts for about an hour before the pain starts.

Haven't had one in about 10 years though fortunately.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
My doctor prescribed me Sumatriptan . Totally check with your general medical practioner to see if it is an option.

The kaledoscope vision hits, I take it and it lessens the severity of the headache to come.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I go through periods where they happen every few days then periods where none happen for months like now. I have no idea what effects the frequency.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I had a visual migraine once where I witnessed a black and white pinwheel effect in my left eye. My ophthalmologist said if it doesn't happen again, it's nothing to worry about. Seven years later, it hasn't happened again. Instead, I now get vomit-inducing regular migraines without any cool visual effects.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've also only had one once, and exactly how you describe. I kept expecting a splitting headache go start, I had to lie down, started freaking out. But it never came. Doc said it's pretty common That was years ago.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I found that I can pound back a ton of water and I hastens the retreat of these Halos or auras. That's all I know.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I used to get these all the time and they really fucked me up. They were followed by real migraines about 30% of the time. Especially when I was in college, living in the dorms. Haven't had one since. Maybe it's environmental. 🤷

SinOfHeart

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I get these types of migraines with warning signs (although I don't get them very often compared to when I was younger). Mine are usually like the effect of looking into a camera flash and seeing things strobe for a bit, except only part of my vision would have the strobe effect and it doesn't go away for 30+ minutes. I don't get them as much and I found that if it was possible just not focusing on the flashing part tended to help make the actual headache that followed less intense. There was one that I had where I lost all my color vision for like 30-40 minutes, that one was scary (and I'm glad that only ever happened once, the headache that followed was awful).

Last edited: