• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Man, what a shitty movie.
All the pop culture references felt so forced, the cast was terrible, the effects were decent i guess.
What the hell happen with Spielberg, the soundtrack, i get what they were going for but it was just bad, like the visual cultural references, this also failed miserably IMO.

It was just sad to see and know Spielberg has completely lost it

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think he did a good job adding any sense of actual depth to the setting beyond pop culture by having it relate to the creator's personal failures. The book definitely didn't have that

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
without the references the movie's runtime would be 1 minute and 23 seconds

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
liked the movie.

idk man, i see shit i like in real life in the movie, therefore i like the movie.

thats it.

🤷‍♂️

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people actually hate the movie?

Woah.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
The scenes in the real world had a very Spielberg flair regarding how they were directed, but overall it was godawful, one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memory (Mortal Engines takes that prize).

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was an 80's family adventure movie in modern packaging. I enjoyed it once I figured that out.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I actually thought so many gaming and movie references made the movie worse.

Cuz they didnt do anything. They were there.

The main girl blows. Obvious love interest is boring, her ""hideous deformity"" is a slightly bad sunburn, and her avatar is somehow even shittier despite all the potential of future-tech.

Olivia-Cooke-Ready-Player-One-e1535097948726.jpg

WE LEAD A REBELLION..... THE. REBELLION. THE...! Against....stuff...worth rebelling against!! Yes.

It's fun, I'll give it that. But it otherwise feels so cheap, cheesy (and not even in that cozy 80s way), and pretty unmemorable.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
just needed to post 8 minutes after my last post to say this movie is fucking garbage

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cuz they didnt do anything. They were there.

The main girl blows. Obvious love interest is boring, her ""hideous deformity"" is a slightly bad sunburn, and her avatar is somehow even shittier.

Olivia-Cooke-Ready-Player-One-e1535097948726.jpg

WE LEAD A REBELLION..... THE. REBELLION. THE...! Against....stuff...worth rebelling against!! Yes.

i dont think i can ever have a problem with that, because even people with no "scars" or "deformities" at all are self concious about their appearance.

also holy shit at you rebellion thing, do you realize her father died in a concentration camp right?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i dont think i can ever have a problem with that, because even people with no "scars" or "deformities" at all are self concious about their appearance.

also holy shit at you rebellion thing, do you realize her father died in a concentration camp right?

My complaint is Hollywood's shitty tendency to undercut physical issues in the name of keeping a character pretty. Her slightly dark birthmark around her eye gets covered (and even blends in nicely) by hair and skin and is barely noticeable unless you're zoomed in.

I honestly remember nothing about a concentration camp (I'm vaguely sorry about that but...) ; back to what I ended my post with: I don't remember the finer details like her dad dying (presumably off-screen). The movie is a smacking together of lots of dorky/dumb/stereotypical ideas.... for a fancy online video game.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I just rewatched it and it's super corny and shallow. The actions is pretty well directed, but it feels like someone doing a Steven Spielberg impression in the same way the movie is obsessed with the aesthetics of the 80's-90's.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The movie was gross and lame, and if you think about it beyond anything surface-level it gets even more gross and lame.

Related:

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
The prose of the book is pretty embarrassing on multiple fronts but the plot could be genuinely intriguing at times and I loved how the "game" was structured. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the journey, the puzzles and clues kept me more engaged than most books.

I didn't hate the movie but it kinda fails to capture the specific brand of pop culture that Klein is obsessed with, it's too sleek and modern and more sterile compared to the pre corporate consolidation flavor of nerdery.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i liked it ok. the best parts were obviously the stuff in the game. i could have done with less cringey pop culture stuff, but whatever. that's what the movie is about

never

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it more than the book, but I wish they did the tomb of horrors sequence.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It was a surprisingly good movie I thought, but I think that's mostly due to Spielberg, who can direct in his sleep. A lesser director would have made the movie insufferable. The main issue were the constant and unnecessary pop-culture references, but that's part of the deal I suppose.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
All the pop culture references felt so forced, the cast was terrible, the effects were decent i guess.
What the hell happen with Spielberg, the soundtrack, i get what they were going for but it was just bad, like the visual cultural references, this also failed miserably IMO.

Yeah, it stayed very true to the book.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Clusterfuck" describes it well.

Literally the only few good scenes in this movie are at the very beginning when it sets the tone and introduces the viewers to its (real) world.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles

I found it a fun, popcorn movie and the book is much, much worse.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017

Yes. This movie is so bad...it felt so uninspired and boring when it had all means to be fun as all hell. I was sad after I watched it knowing it was a "Spielberg" flick.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. It was a big, silly, jolly romp with good effects, a million HEY I REMEMBER THAT references scattered everywhere which I enjoyed spotting, a story that whizzes along at a good pace, characters that grow in a precise and predictable way.

Fun, brain off fluff and sometimes that's just what I like.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah it was a bit shitty and like 30 minutes longer than what it should be. I was bored out of my mind near the end.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ready player one (both the book and film) are for people who have replaced their own personalties, with the media they consume.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Meme Generation in movie form. Remember that thing?! How about this other thing?!

I still enjoyed it though.

Oct 26, 2017
IP License Lawyering The Movie

It's also horribly ugly, with the two main avatar characters looking like rejects from a 2002 wannabe Xbox JRPG. And it's completely stupid, with no consistency to the VR world and how it works. And it's based on a book that is offensively annoying.

The only things that weren't entirely bad were the Shining homage, and that enemy character who treated the entire thing as a joke, because it was.