• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: oops, premature mobile post

It was absolutely fantastic. I could go on and on about how I love the depth the characters have, the animation, and the soundtrack, but I think the ending is what will stick with me forever. Many people have recommended that I watch it over the years and I've enjoyed a lot of Gainax's other works, but the recommendations for this specifically were pretty much all "it's a weird mecha anime, you should check it out."

The whole process of Shinji's self-discovery during his...Instrumentation (?) kind of inspired me. Sure, the whole show is filled with depressing events, and even the ending itself is a downer since I guess everyone is assimilated or something, but I feel happy after seeing it.

I've suffered from anxiety and depression since my preteen years, as I'm sure many people here have, but Evangelion helped me think about things in a different way. Like Shinji, I feel like I've always hated myself and that I have never been and will never be good enough for anyone. I don't pilot a mech, but I'm decent at a handful of my hobbies and the praise from that keeps me going. Shinji's father feels almost like a mirror image of my own - absent and unloving, always absorbed in his work. Even Shinji's nature of constantly apologizing for the smallest things feels like a reflection of me.

Shinji's realization that maybe he only hates how he thinks others perceive him instead of actually hating himself really spoke to me. I've always been super self-conscious and wondering what others think of me, but maybe that's not so important. I'm not going to say that my anxiety or depression were magically cured by watching an anime series, but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. I'm just trying to look at things from a different point of view, you know? Anyway, that's all I really have to say.

OP
OP
Green Mario

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Make sure to check out End of Evangelion (the feature film) if you haven't yet.

Yeah, that and another Evangelion movie are on my Netflix watch list, but I know there's a bunch of other stuff that isn't currently on there, so I'll have to see if I can find them somewhere else. I can't wait to check it all out.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that and another Evangelion movie are on my Netflix watch list, but I know there's a bunch of other stuff that isn't currently on there, so I'll have to see if I can find them somewhere else. I can't wait to check it all out.

So that other movie on netflix is just a recap of all the episodes with a new frame narrative and some scenes.

The Rebuild movies are what you'll want to see after EoE.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017

Skip Death/Rebirth or Death^2 or whatever they're calling it. It's just a cash grab recap of the series, and a pretty bad one at that. There's some unique animation that depicts the kids playing musical instruments if you're into that kid of thing.

End of Evangelion is essentially the climax of the series.

The other films are the "Rebuild" movies that are a remake/reboot of the series. They tone down the character melodrama and introduce a lot of elements that are very non-Evangelion. Because of this a lot of people hate them, but the animation is absolutely stellar. The first movie is mostly recycled animation from the series, the second movie is all unique animation, and the third movie is so off the rails it departs from the tv show entirely. The fourth movie isn't out yet. The third movie hit theaters in 2013 and didn't come to home video until like 2017.

OP
OP
Green Mario

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I didn't realize the other movie was basically a recap. I'll definitely watch End of Evangelion, but I might hold off on the other stuff until another time if it's viewed as being so different from the original.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I didn't realize the other movie was basically a recap. I'll definitely watch End of Evangelion, but I might hold off on the other stuff until another time if it's viewed as being so different from the original.
Oh wow, yeah, watch EoE and post your thoughts afterward! It's very different from the ending depicted in the show, despite some connections.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

The Rebuild films are great in their own right but I probably wouldn't view them this soon after finishing the series.

End Of Evangelion is a must watch though. Just be prepared for the madness. And look up its history AFTER watching.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Yay!!!! I just watched the series fairly recently for the first time myself. Wild isn't it? Feel free to join us on the OT!

Nov 14, 2017
It's good that you like the ending. Lots of people seriously hate the ending of the series. I think it totally makes sense in context, even if it is clearly a result of their production breaking down.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
tenor.gif

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
End of Evangelion is sort of the real ending of the series, not that episodes 25 and 26 aren't.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Before going into EoE, be sure to remember that it's a different beast than the og ending. From the sounds of it you connected somewhat with the TV series, so just wanna set set expectations properly.

Always glad to see a newbie enjoy the show though! I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but genuinely think it holds up pretty well.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I'm gonna go against the grain and say that Death/Rebirth is worth a watch even if the recap isn't necessary for you. Personally just feel like the second half (setup for EoE) is really well told and builds tension a little differently than the opening of EoE. Asuka vs. Production Evas in D/R was way stronger a scene to me than its EoE version if my memory of them serves me correctly.

Def wouldn't say it's required tho

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go against the grain and say that Death/Rebirth is worth a watch even if the recap isn't necessary for you. Personally just feel like the second half (setup for EoE) is really well told and builds tension a little differently than the opening of EoE. Asuka vs. Production Evas in D/R was way stronger a scene to me than its EoE version if my memory of them serves me correctly.

Def wouldn't say it's required tho
Rebirth is just the first 30 minutes of EoE. There are no substantial differences.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I know I am in a minority here, but the first time I saw Evangelion, I was blown away by Ep. 25 and 26. And I still love those two chapters to death

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love NGE but the ending (EofE) is confusing and weird. It puzzles me.

Still one of my fave anime tho

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I know I am in a minority here, but the first time I saw Evangelion, I was blown away by Ep. 25 and 26. And I still love those two chapters to death
Yeah as someone who watched for the first time when it came out on Netflix last year, I really loved and was inspired by the end of the show.

I watched EoE the next day and it made me feel lousy for a couple days

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I want to address the elephant in the room. Who actually jerks it into their hand? Even in a hospital there should be plenty of tissues available. If you're home you should have paper towels or even a sock for use.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź

Another point I really like about the ending is that the evas are essentially the children's idealization of what they think an ideal adult should be/act, but at the end Shinji realizes he could just be himself. I love the psychoanalysis in the work, especially in the last couple episodes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Glad you took away the positive message the story was trying to get across, I felt the same when I first watched.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I want to address the elephant in the room. Who actually jerks it into their hand? Even in a hospital there should be plenty of tissues available. If you're home you should have paper towels or even a sock for use.

It's more environmentally friendly

Also, the OP who hasn't watched EoE yet will be very confused by this question lol

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I still randomly think about End of Evangelical from time to time.

Easily one of the strangest, most thought-provoking movies I've ever watched.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to OP's thoughts on EoE. I prefer the show ending more, but EoE still gets me.

It's wise to take a cool down before diving into Rebuild, in my opinion. I didn't and loathed Rebuild on first watch. I rewatched recently, and it worked much better.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I still randomly think about End of Evangelical from time to time.

Easily one of the strangest, most thought-provoking movies I've ever watched.
I said this in the last thread, but after 32 years of being terrified by the concept of mortality, I saw EOE for the first time and it made me less afraid of dying. It's truly a mind blowing unforgettable experience.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I'd only seen the regular series ending until recently, so over a decade that was how Evangelion ended for me. I recently saw EoE when it went up on Netflix and it blew my mind. It tied the series together well and gave it meaning imo while being marvelously bizarre. I love the whole "What is humanity really and where do we want to go?" theme. I think it could resonate with anybody and is pretty powerful.

OP
OP
Green Mario

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I finally watched End of Evangelion.

While I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on the themes of the anime series' ending, End of Evangelion was a different beast entirely. I'm going to have to read the synopsis of someone much more intelligent than myself to understand what the hell it is I just bore witness to. It feels like I dropped some acid and then got onto a roller coaster. After this, I'm going to need to watch something a bit more upbeat, to put it lightly.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

While I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on the themes of the anime series' ending, End of Evangelion was a different beast entirely. I'm going to have to read the synopsis of someone much more intelligent than myself to understand what the hell it is I just bore witness to. It feels like I dropped some acid and then got onto a roller coaster. After this, I'm going to need to watch something a bit more upbeat, to put it lightly.

Or Or....You can start Rebuild of Evangelion.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Kimochi Warui my friend

While I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on the themes of the anime series' ending, End of Evangelion was a different beast entirely. I'm going to have to read the synopsis of someone much more intelligent than myself to understand what the hell it is I just bore witness to. It feels like I dropped some acid and then got onto a roller coaster.

Here is some reading/watching i can recommend

thoughtsonstuff.blogspot.com

The End of Evangelion: In Depth

I just finished my second viewing of The End of Evangelion this week. While rewatching the series, I was most looking forward to seeing End ...

After this, I'm going to need to watch something a bit more upbeat, to put it lightly.

May i suggest Madoka Magica

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on the themes of the anime series' ending, End of Evangelion was a different beast entirely. I'm going to have to read the synopsis of someone much more intelligent than myself to understand what the hell it is I just bore witness to.

i know just the man

wOQN4oV.png