• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
The fact that you used the word "discovered" . . .

As you "columbused" Korean food when it was actualy Vietnamese. (Or at least it probably was Vietnamese with some KBBQ options.)

Edit: To clarify, I am indeed kinda breaking your balls, OP. :P

I don't appreciate when people say they "discovered" something, because that implies that it hasn't been previously found, which is false. I'm clearly being picky.

I usually say, "I just experienced/tried/tasted . . . for the first time." Especially, since discovery has that Columbus conotaton that I avoid.

There's this place in LA called Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong that's pretty high-end, and they cook eventing for you, albeit on the grill in front of you.
How does it compare to Chosun Galbee?

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Go visit Ktown in Los Angeles if you ever have the chance. The best of ktown is pretty comparable to the best in Seoul.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Try some pork neck too next time, OP.

3314b469efd268f2b3a1122019_original.

And if you're not afraid of eating raw food, some Yukhoe, tartare with pear and egg and sesame. Soooo good

koreansteaktartare.jpg

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
I've read of this, but in CT, we have shit experiences for restaurants. Will have to drag my wife to NYC one day and experience this.

Ok but OP enjoyed Pho, and not Korean BBQ.

Pho is a Vietnamese dish:

Here is a vid of Korean BBQ:

If you want Vietnamese, get
- Summer Rolls or Spring Rolls​
- Rice Vermicelli with Pork or whatever meat they have. Shrimp is good too@​
- Pork Chop with Rice​
If you want Korean, try
- Bibimbap (mixed ricebowl goodness, google it)​
- For BBQ get Pork Belly or Bulgogi, or if you wanna get fancy good restaurants have prime rib​
- Kimchi Chigae (their soup)​
- Korean food is known to serve side dishes (Banchan) that comes in every meal so expect that when you order​
- KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN (brands like Pelicana, Bonchon or BBQ chicken are the best) and make sure to eat this with beer.. preview:​

This is just a start there are so many more foods like Korean Corndogs, mandoo, Kimbap etc

ENJOY!!!!!!!

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard it *multiple* times. It's wild.

This is literally the conversation I had yesterday with my Discord bumper (pregnancy) group (with two moms out in the Midwest)... and I've seen this sentiment all over from Americans in the Midwest as well. These aren't other Californians talking about what they know as "Midwestern" food with no exposure. To me, it's more like someone saying that "traditionally, Chinese people eat a lot of vegetables and not as much beef." That's true, historically, generally, for many East Asian countries since ox/cows are for plowing the fields and not for eating. Even in Taiwan now, if a dish has the word "rou" in it without a qualifier before it, it's assumed to be pork because that's the most common meat. Dishes that have beef usually have to explicitly specify it's "niu rou" (cow meat) since it's just not historically as common of an ingredient. (Chicken is common too but it's referred to as "ji" in dishes.)

I mean, I personally still find it weird because there are lakes and rivers in the Midwest so I would think it would provide fresh fish, but again if I ask people from there and they tell me it's not so, it makes less sense for me to challenge them, you know? It's not like our Discord group is particularly troll-y-- we're a bunch of moms on social media, after all-- and it's fairly large.

<Person 1> Yesterday at 4:06 PM
You'd be surprised how many people assume fish is just bad no matter what during pregnancy because sushi and high mercury fish are on the no no list
If you dont know why, then I can see why it could be confusing

<Me> Yesterday at 4:16 PM
Oh maybe
I did hear once that people in the Midwest don't really eat fish
But I thought that was kinda outdated...fish is so healthy for you I figured it was common knowledge by now tbh
[4:17 PM]

<Person 2> replied to <Me>|Yesterday at 4:20 PM
I mean its not entirely untrue
It's not like we get a lot of fresh fish ha

<Me>Yesterday at 4:23 PM
oh really?

<Person 1> Yesterday at 4:23 PM
We lack oceans lol

<Me> Yesterday at 4:24 PM
I feel like half the fish I see in the stores come from Canada or Mexico
Always thought if it could get that far, a few more states wouldn't be an issue haha

<Person 2>Yesterday at 4:24 PM
Yeah but I think it tends to be more in the culture places where you get it fresh

<Me>Yesterday at 4:24 PM
Plus lakes have lots of fish right?
Ah haha
I thought the not eating fish was a stereotype like all Californians eat kale or something haha

<Person 1>Yesterday at 4:26 PM
I mean it definitely is, it's not like no one eats fish, but it's also not entirely untrue? Like I definitely think when I travel to coasts there is more fish consumption happening

Another thing I've heard, at least here in California, is that Korean-style Japanese BBQ, like Manpuku, which comes out of Tokyo, serves Korean-style sides because they're imitating Korean-style BBQ. Their sides includes a whole selection of kimchi, this yukjaegang like soup, garlic rice in a hot stone pot, etc.

I was *told* but never confirmed that Japanese BBQ is actually based off Korean BBQ, but I have NO idea if that's true.

edit: It looks like it might be partially true if wikipedia is to be believed.
Midwesteners do eat fish. More fresh water, though, so you're looking at cat fish, trout, walleye, perch, etc.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I won't say landlocked people never eat fish, but it's certainly less common because it's not considered fresh. I never ate a bite of seafood until my late 20's, and I still don't voluntarily eat it.

Not eating fish until your late 20's would make you an outlier anywhere in the Midwest. I was born and raised there, and fish was a regular mainstay. If you bought lunch at grade school instead of bringing it, fish was more common than pizza.

I've heard it *multiple* times. It's wild.

This is literally the conversation I had yesterday with my Discord bumper (pregnancy) group (with two moms out in the Midwest)... and I've seen this sentiment all over from Americans in the Midwest as well. These aren't other Californians talking about what they know as "Midwestern" food with no exposure. To me, it's more like someone saying that "traditionally, Chinese people eat a lot of vegetables and not as much beef." That's true, historically, generally, for many East Asian countries since ox/cows are for plowing the fields and not for eating.

I mean, I personally still find it weird because there are lakes and rivers in the Midwest so I would think it would provide fresh fish, but again if I ask people from there and they tell me it's not so, it makes less sense for me to challenge them, you know? It's not like our Discord group is particularly troll-y-- we're a bunch of moms on social media, after all-- and it's fairly large.

You're not talking to people who grew up in the Midwest then. That convo sounds like someone who is a transplant, and is making a lot of assumptions.

I'll keep this short as I can, since it's not the topic of the thread (if you're curious about anything I say, feel free to start a thread about Midwestern stereotypes, or just shoot over a PM).

Fish is a common dish in the Midwest. What's not common are good sushi restaurants. They exist, but they're not as solid as what you'll find on the West Coast. Part of that may be cost (average income in the Midwest is a LOT lower), and part of that may just be cultural. But cooked fish? TAKE YOUR PICK. :)

Trout, salmon, bass, catfish, walleye, etc. (and versions of each) are easily found in both restaurants and stores. If you order fish, you're usually ordering a specific kind of fish. And you can cook it up however you like. Filleted, fried, fish sticks, chopped up in soup, sandwich, seared, salad, breaded, grilled, smoked, steamed, tacos, etc.

You also have a number of ethnic groups with fish as part of their traditional dishes, (not to mention the large Catholic population) and you're overlooking the fact that fishing is both sport and recreational in the Midwest. Because travel can be expensive, it isn't uncommon for family vacations (or weekend trips) to include camping on a river or staying in a cabin by a lake. As you noted, there are a LOT of lakes, rivers, streams, etc. in the Midwest (not the least of which are the Great Lakes). Getting a fishing rod and tackle box as a kid is a common thing, as is learning how to fish and gut/fillet a fish. If you caught more than you could eat, you'd just put them on ice and bring them home.

If you still don't believe me, feel free to google "Midwest fish fry" for an example of what's considered a traditional Midwestern comfort food dish. There's plenty more where that came from.

I will admit, as someone who grew up in the Midwest, I didn't try sushi until after I had moved out to the West Coast. Not because I thought it was "foreign", but because I naively thought it had to be a scam. From my (at the time limited) PoV, sushi was just fish that had been chopped up. They didn't even bother to cook it, and were charging a premium! ;)

Needless to say, I was schooled (by a very kind sushi chef in SF) and shown the error of my ways.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Go visit Ktown in Los Angeles if you ever have the chance. The best of ktown is pretty comparable to the best in Seoul.
When my friends visited from FL I took them to Oo-Kook. It was life changing for them lol. They constantly reminiscence over it and are desperate to come back just to try it again.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I'm in the UK. I live in a rural area. Korean food is not a thing here. I cook a lot of SE Asian, Japanese and Chinese food. Never Korean. During lockdown, I discovered bibimbap. I cook it every week now. It is truly delicious, the best comfort food ever. I also love that my five a day is one bowl. Gochujang was a real revelation. I slap the stuff on everything now.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm craving this so badly now and it hurts that it'll be... a long time before I can have it again, given enough of my friends are vegetarian that the next chance would probably be with family over the holidays, in a literal year.

I wonder if there's at least a Korean restaurant near me I can order lunch from...