• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Never had real wagyu in a kbbq joint before, only at a Steakhouse or a Yakiniku joint

Could be interesting

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I should have done kbbq before they locked down outdoor dining. Also miss Japanese bbq. I think we will go to Gyu-Kaku when they reopen again.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's fantastic.

I used to go to an all you can eat restaurant near my office once in a month with my co-workers before the pandemic.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Gyu kaku opened in our small town in Indonesia few months ago
I was surprised at the quality of their wagyu and chateaubriand

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Kbbq and Chinese hot pot are probably the things I miss most since the shutdown began. I've made my own bulgogi and galbi a few times in the last couple months, but I miss having the variety of meats I could get at restaurants (H-mart has a decent selection, but not everything).

I'm pretty tempted to get an electric hot pot cooker to satisfy that itch.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that in Korea, most of the places will grill it for you. Same here in Koreatown for the more expensive places.
Ah that is true! You can just eat away without the worry of flipping or adding more stuff to cook. Also, they don't want you to overcook the meat especially the expensive ones like hanwoo or wagyu lol.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, but we did buy our own grill and start cooking it at home, almost as good and much much cheaper. We might still do it sometimes after the pandemic is over.
We sometimes buy galbi and CJ Foods marinade from either the Korean supermarket or the new Asian grocery delivery service and then cook it at home. The marinade gives it good flavor.

The funny thing is that in Korea, most of the places will grill it for you. Same here in Koreatown for the more expensive places.
There's this place in LA called Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong that's pretty high-end, and they cook eventing for you, albeit on the grill in front of you.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a sec, you went to a kbbq spot and ordered pho and are raving about kbbq? Oh boy.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
as an asian (singapore specifically), are the common americans really that limited in their diet exposure.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
We sometimes buy galbi and CJ Foods marinade from either the Korean supermarket or the new Asian grocery delivery service and then cook it at home. The marinade gives it good flavor.
Paying for galbi in a restaurant is a rip off. We save so much money grilling our own--meat from Sam's and marinade from HMart.

(We grilled on Thanksgiving instead of turkey. Just determined we'll go with CJ going forward)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
as an asian (singapore specifically), are the common americans really that limited in their diet exposure.
Yes. Asians in general only make up like 6% of the population here, and most congregate in coastal cities. So if you go to, say, LA or SF or NYC, you'll readily find pretty much whatever cuisine you want, but outside of those and other major cities, not so much.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
i feel like most korean bbq joins ive been to has offered pho

i think everyone just likes pho

I've...literally never been to or know of a place like this haha.

But, I also live somewhere with an extremely high Korean population, and an extremely high Vietnamese population.

This. If you don't smell like the food for the rest of the week, you didn't have KBBQ.

^

Nowhere is this more true than Ktown in LA in my experience.

There's this place in LA called Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong that's pretty high-end, and they cook eventing for you, albeit on the grill in front of you.

Yeah doing bbq at home is nice. We don't use an open fire grill at my house, but we have an electric grill to cook meat on.

I've been to Kang Ho (in OC) and they cook everything for us but I didn't like it as much. I don't want the waiter there every time I want to eat-- lot of awkward pauses in the conversation haha.

Dude I just learned last week that most Midwestern Americans don't even eat fish often. I was seriously shocked... thought it was just a stereotype but apparently fish isn't a regular part of their diet!

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
as an asian i like to eat western style food more lol, maybe that's the "grass is greener on the other side" things. But yes, Korean BBQ is very good, the quality depends on their dipping sauce and the sauce they put on the meat. Mmmm I may try Gogi later after work.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Dude I just learned last week that most Midwestern Americans don't even eat fish often. I was seriously shocked... thought it was just a stereotype but apparently fish isn't a regular part of their diet!

man...wait till you guys come to southeast asia and learn about the number of fruits we have!! There are more fruits in this world than just apples, oranges, strawberries, grapes and pineapples!

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Paying for galbi in a restaurant is a rip off. We save so much money grilling our own--meat from Sam's and marinade from HMart.

(We grilled on Thanksgiving instead of turkey. Just determined we'll go with CJ going forward)
Yeah, CJ is apparently like the Korean company, like Samsung's big bro (incidentally, it was literally established by Samsung's founder's big brother).

Yeah doing bbq at home is nice. We don't use an open fire grill at my house, but we have an electric grill to cook meat on.

I've been to Kang Ho (in OC) and they cook everything for us but I didn't like it as much. I don't want the waiter there every time I want to eat-- lot of awkward pauses in the conversation haha.
Yeah, same. I prefer to cook it myself at cheaper AYCE places.

At home, we usually use the Ninja Foodi Grill, since it's super easy and consistent. I was going to mention it earlier, but I didn't want to post too many brands at once and sound like a commercial.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
man...wait till you guys come to southeast asia and learn about the number of fruits we have!! There are more fruits in this world than just apples, oranges, strawberries, grapes and pineapples!

Haha, I'm East Asian so I'm very familiar with fruit!

But you reminded me of someone on reddit that was saying how they were shocking their friends/family with showing them fruit like donut nectarines, and meanwhile I'm over here like dude have you seen a cherimoya or rambutan or longan or any of the three colors of dragonfruit or persimmons? hahaha

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You simply have not lived if you have not had grilled pork belly from korean bbq:

f52d8c0b7ae9d411f5c2a35f6f1fcf20.jpg

The first thing I'm doing after getting the vaccine is going to get Korean barbecue.
Same. Like damn.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you missing KBBQ--see if your local restaurants are doing take home family packs. And since it's hot pot season, the Asian markets should have the portable stove and gas cans on sale.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
i feel like most korean bbq joins ive been to has offered pho

i think everyone just likes pho

Do you live somewhere with a really small Asian population? Because that's definitely a really random combination.

That's... odd. I've never seen that before. Do you live somewhere where the Korean population is really small? You usually only see cross-cuisine offerings in restaurants where the owners aren't from the country the cuisine represents, i.e. Korean at Japanese restaurants or Vietnamese at Chinese restaurants.

Yep, but even then, those examples make sense given the history of those countries and how they're more geographically close to each other. Like I guuueesss maybe you could market a galbi tang as pho or something to the non-discerning eye but they're still really not the same thing.

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
God damn I miss being able to go in and get some KBBQ

or just some Pho

a hot pot ? please ?

UGHHHHH

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
OP, now that you have tried it just remember that it is 1000% cheaper to get a smokeless grill at home and buying the meat from basically any Asian supermarket. That's what we do. And you will notice the quality of the meat is either the same or way better. Cannot really do that with hot pot, though.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Whoever told you that is either lying or pulling your leg because it's about as accurate as saying that all Asian food is greasy and unhealthy.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OP, now that you have tried it just remember that it is 1000% cheaper to get a smokeless grill at home and buying the meat from basically any Asian supermarket. That's what we do. And you will notice the quality of the meat is either the same or way better. Cannot really do that with hot pot, though.
You absolutely can.

We have a Zojiroshi electric one, but you can always get a gas or induction portable range (one burner) and use that. My family has been doing that for decades.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
You absolutely can.

We have a Zojiroshi electric one, but you can always get a gas or induction portable range (one burner) and use that. My family has been doing that for decades.
What I mean is depending on the place you eat, you aren't going to replicate a hotpot base like you can by grilling Korean BBQ meat.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Cannot really do that with hot pot, though.

Say what?

They make single burner electric stoves that are perfect for this. Slap it on the middle of your table, run an extension cord down the side and go to town.

If you enjoy Hot Pot and have a good local grocery for fresh ingredients it's not that hard to do at home. Just keep little kiddos away from the power cable.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What I mean is depending on the place you eat, you aren't going to replicate a hotpot base like you can by grilling Korean BBQ meat.
You can. The easiest, of course, is the shabu shabu konbu base, where you get a thick seaweed from the Asian market and then book it in water. Second easiest is to just use chicken or beef stock/broth.

I'm pretty sure there are premade sukiyaki and other bases, as well. Personally, I like to use the premade Japanese udon soup base.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

We do hot pot at home all the time. The only drawback is you have to buy a lot to get the variety of ingredients.

Whoever told you that is either lying or pulling your leg because it's about as accurate as saying that all Asian food is greasy and unhealthy.

I won't say landlocked people never eat fish, but it's certainly less common because it's not considered fresh. I never ate a bite of seafood until my late 20's, and I still don't voluntarily eat it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
You can. The easiest, of course, is the shabu shabu konbu base, where you get a thick seaweed from the Asian market and then book it in water. Second easiest is to just use chicken or beef stock/broth.

I'm pretty sure there are premade sukiyaki and other bases, as well. Personally, I like to use the premade Japanese udon soup base.
For sure. Little Sheep is always on sale in the winter here.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
KBBQ is great, but man I miss Galbi Jjim (spicy braised beef short rib...oxtail is available as well).

Sun Nong Dan in LA's Koreatown was the last restaurant I went to right before the pandemic, would love to go back someday when we're all done with it.

sun_nong_dan_koreatown_farley.0.jpg

If you want to challenge your lactose intolerance, try it with jack cheese on top.

sun_nong_dan.0.jpg

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Korean BBQ is amazing. What I hate though is when the waitress comes and like starts to "help" cook your shit. Like...I laid it all nice out on purpose with little bits of each type of meat so I can enjoy a variety freshly cooked. I don't want you coming over and just dumping all the daeji bulgogi on it at once in a giant pile. WTF is up with that?!

Better than Korean BBQ though? Japanese BBQ/Yakiniku. Nobody comes and fucks with your grill either.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
My wife and I were looking for an antique shop to visit in CT (she loves this kind of shit), and I was in charge of lunch. I spotted a "fusion" BBQ restaurant nearby and took a shot.

OH MY GOD.

I have never had Korean BBQ or any Asian/fusion type before but holy shit, this was amazing. I had Pho with smoked brisket and thai basil, my wife had pulled pork with pickled onions.

I think i have delved into something I must try more of. What should I look for? Any suggestions?

I need more of this.
Hold up where is this place in CT??? I need more Korean bbq in my life. Thought I'd have to go to ny for it

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I've heard it *multiple* times. It's wild.

This is literally the conversation I had yesterday with my Discord bumper (pregnancy) group (with two moms out in the Midwest)... and I've seen this sentiment all over from Americans in the Midwest as well. These aren't other Californians talking about what they know as "Midwestern" food with no exposure. To me, it's more like someone saying that "traditionally, Chinese people eat a lot of vegetables and not as much beef." That's true, historically, generally, for many East Asian countries since ox/cows are for plowing the fields and not for eating. Even in Taiwan now, if a dish has the word "rou" in it without a qualifier before it, it's assumed to be pork because that's the most common meat. Dishes that have beef usually have to explicitly specify it's "niu rou" (cow meat) since it's just not historically as common of an ingredient. (Chicken is common too but it's referred to as "ji" in dishes.)

I mean, I personally still find it weird because there are lakes and rivers in the Midwest so I would think it would provide fresh fish, but again if I ask people from there and they tell me it's not so, it makes less sense for me to challenge them, you know? It's not like our Discord group is particularly troll-y-- we're a bunch of moms on social media, after all-- and it's fairly large.

<Person 1> Yesterday at 4:06 PM
You'd be surprised how many people assume fish is just bad no matter what during pregnancy because sushi and high mercury fish are on the no no list
If you dont know why, then I can see why it could be confusing

<Me> Yesterday at 4:16 PM
Oh maybe
I did hear once that people in the Midwest don't really eat fish
But I thought that was kinda outdated...fish is so healthy for you I figured it was common knowledge by now tbh
[4:17 PM]

<Person 2> replied to <Me>|Yesterday at 4:20 PM
I mean its not entirely untrue
It's not like we get a lot of fresh fish ha

<Me>Yesterday at 4:23 PM
oh really?

<Person 1> Yesterday at 4:23 PM
We lack oceans lol

<Me> Yesterday at 4:24 PM
I feel like half the fish I see in the stores come from Canada or Mexico
Always thought if it could get that far, a few more states wouldn't be an issue haha

<Person 2>Yesterday at 4:24 PM
Yeah but I think it tends to be more in the culture places where you get it fresh

<Me>Yesterday at 4:24 PM
Plus lakes have lots of fish right?
Ah haha
I thought the not eating fish was a stereotype like all Californians eat kale or something haha

<Person 1>Yesterday at 4:26 PM
I mean it definitely is, it's not like no one eats fish, but it's also not entirely untrue? Like I definitely think when I travel to coasts there is more fish consumption happening

Yep, but even then, those examples make sense given the history of those countries and how they're more geographically close to each other. Like I guuueesss maybe you could market a galbi tang as pho or something to the non-discerning eye but they're still really not the same thing.

Another thing I've heard, at least here in California, is that Korean-style Japanese BBQ, like Manpuku, which comes out of Tokyo, serves Korean-style sides because they're imitating Korean-style BBQ. Their sides includes a whole selection of kimchi, this yukjaegang like soup, garlic rice in a hot stone pot, etc.

I was *told* but never confirmed that Japanese BBQ is actually based off Korean BBQ, but I have NO idea if that's true.

edit: It looks like it might be partially true if wikipedia is to be believed.

Last edited:

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Pho is viet.... but true korean BBQ is amazing so is hotpot. Best thing living in NJ and ny is the asian cuisine. Glad u got a taste of Asian food and hopefully u experience more of it