• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife and I were looking for an antique shop to visit in CT (she loves this kind of shit), and I was in charge of lunch. I spotted a "fusion" BBQ restaurant nearby and took a shot.

OH MY GOD.

I have never had Korean BBQ or any Asian/fusion type before but holy shit, this was amazing. I had Pho with smoked brisket and thai basil, my wife had pulled pork with pickled onions.

I think i have delved into something I must try more of. What should I look for? Any suggestions?

I need more of this.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A whole new world has opened for you. Although if it's fusion, it's not really the same thing (pho is Vietnamese).

Edit: Anyway start off with bulgogi.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Welcome to civilization.

The fusion version of any Asian food is usually shit - go for the ones with Asian names.

Also what kind of KBBQ place has pho?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Korean BBQ (the cook your own meat sort) is definitely the dining experience I have missed the most during the pandemic, followed closely by churrascaria. It'll be nice to have that again after vaccines are distributed.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
It might be hard to find where you are, but legit kbbq where you cook the meat on the grill in front of you is some of the most fun you can have eating out. I miss it dearly :(

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wagyu kbbq

b0lcrzzegwl21.jpg

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it ain't Korean BBQ if you didn't grill the meat yourself, and I'm not sure if you did based on what you have ordered.

Korean BBQ is bomb though, me and my gf went to an all you can eat at least 3 or 4 times a month last year lol.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
When I worked in the city, I was in Midtown less than a block from K-town. Korean friend chicken is the best thing ever

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I...don't think this is KBBQ...?

Pho is Vietnamese, pulled pork is american, it sounds like a sitdown and order place? KBBQ is, at least when I've had it, not simply asian bbq things, but rather, when you are served korean meats from a menu and then grill is yourself.

Sounds like an Asian/American BBQ fusion place. Which I'm sure is still tasty! But just you wait, a whole new world of KBBQ still awaits, on top of this recent discovery.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umm, it doesn't sound like you had KBBQ.
I...don't think this is KBBQ...?

Pho is Vietnamese, pulled pork is american, it sounds like a sitdown and order place? KBBQ is, at least when I've had it, not simply asian bbq things, but rather, when you are served korean meats from a menu and then grill is yourself.
OP did mention it was a fusion place
Maybe some kind of grill your meat then add to soup type deal.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
OP did mention it was a fusion place
Maybe some kind of grill your meat then add to soup type deal.
There was no korean dishes as described, and OP didn''t do any grilling himself. Or at least, that it was more sit down and order, which I suppose is still possible within the array of KBBQ, but pretty different from how I've normally seen it done. Asian Fusion BBQ isn't quite the same as KBBQ, in my mind.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clearly i'm missing out. What can i look forward to?
A more focused version of whatever you had. It's common for Asian "fusion" restaurants to serve Korean cuisine next to Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai and Chinese.

I would say look for a KBBQ place where you're expected to grill for yourself (the staff will usually help if you're not confident in your grilling) and go from there.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
For me, it ain't Korean BBQ if you didn't grill the meat yourself, and I'm not sure if you did based on what you have ordered.

Korean BBQ is bomb though, me and my gf went to an all you can eat at least 3 or 4 times a month last year lol.

This. If you don't smell like the food for the rest of the week, you didn't have KBBQ.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was no korean dishes as described, and OP didn''t do any grilling himself. Or at least, that it was more sit down and order, which I suppose is still possible within the array of KBBQ, but pretty different from how I've normally seen it done. Asian Fusion BBQ isn't quite the same as KBBQ, in my mind.
In my experience Fusion means combining something with something else as opposed to traditional dishes.
Like Tacos with Kimchi, Burgers with egg rolls.

When someone mentions we are going to a Fusion restaurant that's what I expect

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think what's available will heavily depend on how diverse your area is. Like, that pan-Asian style of restaurant wouldn't do so hot in my area.

Yeah I have NEVER seen pho at any Korean places here. Army stew or the tofu soup, instead. Some sell sushi, if anything, but a lot of Bay Area sushi places are Korean-owned.

Korean burritos/tacos on the other hand are an amazing fusion combo!

OP
OP
Culex

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Look up Strictly Dumpling's channel on Youtube and look for his Korean bbq videos. There's... a lot. Both from Korean and North America.

Thanks, I'll do that. I've had traditional Dim Sum in NYC last year, so I really want to try all these foods i've missed out my entire life!

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds more like u went to a fusion restaurant 1st and foremost, not a kbbq joint

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Korean BBQ is awesome but who the fuck thinks its OK to go to and eat in restaurants right now? Extremely irresponsible OP.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, I'll do that. I've had traditional Dim Sum in NYC last year, so I really want to try all these foods i've missed out my entire life!

His channel will definately have a good array of options, then. Especially if you are new to assortments of Asian food.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how the Asian food situation is at CT but definitely try a KBBQ restaurant one day where you cook it yourself, it's a lot of fun.

Korean BBQ (the cook your own meat sort) is definitely the dining experience I have missed the most during the pandemic, followed closely by churrascaria. It'll be nice to have that again after vaccines are distributed.

Agreed, but we did buy our own grill and start cooking it at home, almost as good and much much cheaper. We might still do it sometimes after the pandemic is over.

The funny thing is that in Korea, most of the places will grill it for you. Same here in Koreatown for the more expensive places.

OP
OP
Culex

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
His channel will definately have a good array of options, then. Especially if you are new to assortments of Asian food.

Thanks, i've had Sushi and Thai my whole life, but never "true" traditional chinese or Korean. I really want to get a sense of everything before I die.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like most korean bbq joins ive been to has offered pho

i think everyone just likes pho
That's... odd. I've never seen that before. Do you live somewhere where the Korean population is really small? You usually only see cross-cuisine offerings in restaurants where the owners aren't from the country the cuisine represents, i.e. Korean at Japanese restaurants or Vietnamese at Chinese restaurants.