• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
60 FPS is nice. I can certainly feel the difference, and for certain genres it's absolutely paramount. But by-and-large, and maybe this is because I work as a video editor, I'm a bigger image quality nerd than a framerate nerd. I'll usually choose quality over performance settings in console games that offer both.
I prefer quality over performance too in single player games, performance for the few multiplayer games I have played.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Remastered was the biggest eye opener for me. Switching between the two modes, 30fps felt like I was moving in mud.
I can't tolerate 30fps anymore.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If there's a 60fps option in games, devs should have that set as the "default" mode.

Let the more casual person discover what 30fps feels like after having first experienced 60, maybe that'll push more 60fps games heh

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Cool that you finally noticed, but yeah, like many have said, 60Hz/fps has been a thing since the beginning. It's what ancient consoles like the Atari 2600 ran at, and it's what I was used to with most console games. It wasn't until the N64/PS1 days when 3D was introduced that we really started to see more games running at lower framerates, although there were exceptions throughout the old console generations (like Blazeon and Lagoon on SNES, which IIRC were 30fps) or really choppy stuff like 1942 and Ikari Warriors on NES. While we had the 2600 and Master System, I was also playing games on an Apple IIe, which I *think* could only output 30fps max? Seems like none of the software ran any faster than that, so I was used to a wide range of fps output. It's probably why, while I will always appreciate 60fps+, playing games at lower fps doesn't bother me (SOTC PS2, Demon's Souls PS3, etc.). Unlocked fps that constantly jump between 30, 60, and everything in between IS annoying though, and screen tearing is the absolute worst IMO.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
What is going on?? I feel like I'm in some bizzaro world where people can't differentiate 30 and 60... Just didn't realize it was so indistinguishable. I mean most of PS2 era games were 60.

There's been a lot that around here lately, it seems. People claiming not to notice a difference between 1080p and 4K, or HDR and SDR. Really weird for an enthusiast website.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
There's been a lot that around here lately, it seems. People claiming not to notice a difference between 1080p and 4K, or HDR and SDR. Really weird for an enthusiast website.
30-60 jump is much much more noticeable than anything else graphically i think, don't see anyone would miss it, bar some biological reasons.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
It is incredible and i feel you OP. Sometimes in games now i just turn them down to 30 just to see how it looks and i just cant believe what 30fps looks like. I dont remember it ever being THAT bad, but it was.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been able to tell the difference, and even experimenting with MM on my PS5, the only thing I can differentiate are the inferior visuals on display.

I genuinely wonder why some people just can't tell the difference.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
giphy.gif
Honestly, it's not that strange. When I change from 30 to 60 fps, in all honesty I don't feel the difference either. Maybe I am too casual? :)

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Man, I've been playing majority of my games at 60fps for 13 years. Im beyond 60fps now. My experience is 144fps and up.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I had the same thought.

I must say, it's been wild seeing how the general mindset of primarily console gamers has changed recently. I can recall numerous instances of people mocking PC players down the years for "obsessing" over things like frame rate and resolution and performance, criticising them for being FPS snobs and such. And now, the general feeling on this forum among console players seems to be "wait, no actually, 60fps does make a difference! SSDs are important! Being able to change the resolution is a welcome benefit!"
Yep, it's been both frustrating and amazing to watch the shift over the years. Every new feature doesn't matter while you don't have access to it, and once you do it's something you can't live without.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Going from 60 to 30 is jarring as hell but honestly? After five minutes my eyes have accustomed and it's all good.

I always find it weird when some people are like "30 fps makes me wanna physically throw up," like damn, that must suck.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
It's really weird to me that there are people that genuinely can't see the difference between 30+60, let alone even higher than that.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm starting to realize this.
I've never been able to tell the difference, and even experimenting with MM on my PS5, the only thing I can differentiate are the inferior visuals on display.

Its weird.
You show me one of those like 24, 30,60,120 fps animation things and I can clearly see the difference. Show me like 30/60/120 fps of the same game side by side, I notice far less. Give me a game at 30 and I could never tell you what the fps is. Maybe with everything else going on in the game it distracts a lot of people from the framerate?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's really weird to me that there are people that genuinely can't see the difference between 30+60, let alone even higher than that.

That's the thing. Everyone can look at that gif and see the difference. You put a game at 30 and 60 besides eachother and the difference isn't even close to that glaring.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Same experience here. I found myself doing the indoor areas with the ray tracing as it really pops in these locations, but the swinging is so much better at 60 FPS.

Nov 1, 2017
If there is a 60 FPS mode that will knock back the graphics i will choose it, every time. I played all of Forza Horizon 4 in 60 FPS and the game still looked stunning even if it was running at 1080p. However i will say if there is only a 30 FPS option i don't generally mind. It's all a matter of consistency. I can get used to 30 FPS if it's all a game offers. I've recently played through the entirety of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and still enjoyed it at 30 FPS. But yeah games that offer the option, especially if it's a seamless switch like MM does where you can see the difference straight away, i would say most people would find it hard to go back.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the big thing is unless it's side by side most people can't tell what framerate it's running at. Of course 60fps is better and a game at 60fps may feel better but for most they will never really notice, especially if the framerate is consistent.

What I've never understood is when people call 30 fps literally unplayable

Feb 9, 2018
My initial exposure to 60 fps, and the only real exposure I had to it throughout the 360's lifespan, was through Call of Duty. It looked unnaturally smooth and stilted, kind of like the "soap opera effect" or watching regular TV with the TV's motion interpolator on. But having played more games in 60 fps over this past generation, I've gotten used to it, and my opinion of it has softened after seeing more games feel more "natural" running at 60 fps.

But is it essential?

For me, it depends on the game. Fighting games and most shooters? Yeah, 60 fps is arguably essential. But many if not most slower-paced single-player games are perfectly fine in 30 fps. I played FF7 Remake on my base-model PS4, and it seemed plenty smooth given the nature of the gameplay experience despite running at 30 fps. And that's only the most recent example from this past generation.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its weird.
You show me one of those like 24, 30,60,120 fps animation things and I can clearly see the difference. Show me like 30/60/120 fps of the same game side by side, I notice far less. Give me a game at 30 and I could never tell you what the fps is. Maybe with everything else going on in the game it distracts a lot of people from the framerate?

I can kinda tell when you put them side by side, but only in that instance, and only if they're labeled (and even then, tbh, I'm putting a lot of trust in those labels lmao).

Whatever the reason, yeah, I'm not gonna prioritize it if I can't tell the difference when I'm actually playing it, especially since I can clearly see the graphics downgrade.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I was going to make a joke about how Insomniac doesn't believe R&C needs 60 fps like they used to but meh. haha. There will be a 60fps mode:
kotaku.com

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Will Have A 60 FPS Mode

Insomniac has confirmed today that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will have two different modes, one running in 4k at 30 frames per second and the other mode running in “lower resolution” at 60 frames per second.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Its weird.

You are not wrong. Games have tricks to use to mask the jitteryness. FF7R uses motion blur and other vfx stuff to a marvelous effect. Now when that same game gets bumped up to 60 put side by side to the base version? It would be like rubbing your face in silk after rubbing it in a paper towel.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You are not wrong. Games have tricks to use to mask the jitteryness. FF7R uses motion blur and other vfx stuff to a marvelous effect. Now when that same game gets bumped up to 60 put side by side to the base version? It would be like rubbing your face in silk after rubbing it in a paper towel.
So it feels nice but ultimately doesn't matter cause the paper towel does the job with no complaints except that it could be better?

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere

This might not be an accurate theory... but I wonder if it has anything to do with your display... Yes, I know almost all TVs refresh at 60hz, and this probably sounds crazy, but 60fps looks different on my PC monitor than it does on my TV, even though technically, they're both refreshing at the same rate. Displays are weird though, lots of them have smearing effects or other issues you don't notice until you switch your display type. So maybe it's not your eyes, but the type of screen you are using.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Yes there is going to be a Dynamic 60FPS Performance Mode. Similar to what is found in Miles Morales, Spider-Man Remastered, and Demon's Souls.
I was going to make a joke about how Insomniac doesn't believe R&C needs 60 fps like they used to but meh. haha. There will be a 60fps mode:
kotaku.com

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Will Have A 60 FPS Mode

Insomniac has confirmed today that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will have two different modes, one running in 4k at 30 frames per second and the other mode running in “lower resolution” at 60 frames per second.

Great news! This bodes well for future titles. This is proof that 60fps is not only reserved for cross gen games but next gen exclusives as well like Demon's Souls and the next R&C.
It's going to be a good gen.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing. Everyone can look at that gif and see the difference. You put a game at 30 and 60 besides eachother and the difference isn't even close to that glaring.

it's absolutely that glaring to me. 30fps feels and looks disgusting

On a side note, why was 30fps not as shit on crts (sd) but as soon as we went "he"
On flat panels it's gross as fuck? Is it the motion handling of flat panels?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This console generation launch was my first time noticing.

I was playing Demon's Souls in 30fps and then switched to 60fps... going back to 30fps felt like I was over encumbered.

Ghost of Tsushima felt noticeably smoother as well.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So it feels nice but ultimately doesn't matter cause the paper towel does the job with no complaints except that it could be better?

For single-player player games pretty much. Its why I'm asking for a toggle. There is no reason why a game can look good and not target 60 when graphics configurations have been a thing for years now.

Spiderman ps5 has that toggle and honestly you lose very little if all you are doing is swinging around the city. The rtx stuff looks great in indoor missions though. Having the choice means all of the difference in the world vs mandatory graphics mode at all times.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For single-player player games pretty much. Its why I'm asking for a toggle. There is no reason why a game can look good and not target 60 when graphics configurations have been a thing for years now.

Spiderman ps5 has that toggle and honestly you lose very little if all you are doing is swinging around the city. The rtx stuff looks great in indoor missions though. Having the choice means all of the difference in the world vs mandatory graphics mode at all times.
I am absolutely not arguing against a toggle. Options are always good and there is nothing wrong with preferring a higher frame rate.

My point this thread is it's baffling to me when people think that 30fps is so awful terrible bad that they literally can't play games at that frame rate. Like I'm literally watching side by side comparisons for the last 10 minutes and I can notice the difference but it's far from glaring. And even in the few moments where I feels it's much more noticible. 30 looks anything but bad.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For the most part I agree, but I think it does depend on the game. 30 FPS can be fine when it's stable and Miles Morales is a good example. I tried both fidelity and performance modes for both of my playthroughs, and 60 FPS feels great in that game but 30 FPS also feels pretty good. The raytracing and extra effects were hard to give up in Miles for the first playthrough and I was already used to the framerate from the original game so it was fine for me.

That being said, I tried both modes in Godfall and the 30 FPS mode in that feels rough and choppy compared to the 60 FPS which was entirely smooth. Demon's Souls is also one that I have to go 60 FPS for. Genshin Impact is another one that was 30 on PS4 and is now 60 FPS BC on PS5. It's a night and day difference with that one and that was one that really had me impressed by it after over a hundred hours of playing it on PS4. So yeah, majority of the time I'll pick the 60 FPS mode but there are some games where it's stable enough in 30 that it's perfectly fine.

If I had to guess which games were 30fps, I absolutely could not.

Just enjoy playing games for their content - if it's a high frame rate, then good.

This increasing obsession for hating on games with 30fps is getting ridiculous.