• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'll buy everything again, though I'll probably spend most of my time on Xbox, it's not only where my friends are but considering the cross gen compatibility it means I'll still be able to play with my friends who can't afford to upgrade.
This is where I'm at and probably always will be.

I always owned a Sony console just for the exclusives (and will do so again with the PS5) but I will always spend more time on Xbox due to a preference to the controller, where my friends are and the ecosystem.

Nov 18, 2018
Gamepass, BC of X360 games and more reliable BC from this gen and a more powerful system for like 96% of the same games come next gen...I am a owner of both a PS4 Pro and XB1X, but Im going with the XSX first as Im too invested in the ecosystem. The Sony exclusives take years to make so I'll just pick up a PS5 in a year or two when there are a few that I want that only works on PS5 and not PS4 as well.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, way to invested in the Xbox Live ecosystem and the Xbox controller is just perfect ergonomically.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox being poised to be the best they've ever been makes me think that I might not need two consoles that perform 98% the same function.
Based on what?, I see a lot of posters saying pretty much the same thing. We know they invested in new studios but we don't really know what they're working on, and MS's output this gen was sub-par both in quality and quantity. Sure they will increase their output next gen but we don't want them to churn out more Crackdowns, quality is what needs to go up (personally speaking they didn't have a "must-have" exclusive this gen) hopefully that's the case.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the consensus here. Buy the system with the types of exclusives you like. I'm a multiplayer guy and love that that's the focus of Microsoft's exclusives. I also like that 90% the games out there are 3rd party and generally ran better on the Xbox one x.

If you want the single player exclusives that Sony offers then by all means do your thing bro. I'll buy the ps5 like 3 or 4 years in when it's on sale for $200 and grab those exclusives for dirt cheap. That's what I did this gen and I haven't regretted that decision. To each his own. This loyalty sentiment is so fucking weird to me lol.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you're saying but I have all the PS4 games to catch up on so I will have plenty of great games to play on PS5 day 1. And I don't expect Xbox to potentially release something great for several years down the road.
How did you come to that conclusion when we don't know anything of each company's first party next gen plans?

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking the opposite actually. Gamepass and BC are quite enticing for me. Plus, if Microsoft's console is the "stronger" one, I'll probably jump in. I went from 360 to PS4 because the console and ecosystem were far better than what MS was trying to push in the beginning. Now, I kinda look at the Xbox X with a bit of envy. If only MS could capture the same Japanese exclusives though...I couldn't imagine going this console cycle without Yakuza, Nier, Persona 5, Danganronpa, etc. Sigh, I don't know.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I say go where your friends are. Mine all have Xboxes and we all play together and we love gamepass. So I'll get a Series X first. That said I'll get a PlayStation 5 at some point too. I like owning all the consoles and the PlayStation is great to own later in life when all the great exclusives are out and cheap.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Gamepass to me looks like an interesting concept and great value, but I'm not giving up Sony exclusives since I love them so much. I've played a ton of Gears on 360, but I'm not into it and Halo anymore. And I prefer GT to Forza.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just go where the games are. Loyalty to any one particular platform is overrated.
This, a million times this.

What do you want to play? Go where those games are. It may even happen over the course of a generation that more than one system is worth your time as new games are released. Just follow your taste.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Whatever works for you. It's just entertainment.

I will say it's a little odd to make a decision like this before either platform has really detailed their next-gen game plans, or shown anything.

I'm probably going Series X first this time, versus PS4 first the last time. But ultimately it'll still come down to what those early game lineups look like.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Go wherever your friends and favorite games are I say.

I don't really care about the companies themselves nor the power of the system. I'm personally going to pass on the Xbox this time because of PC and will get a PS5 down the line when there's games I want for it are on it. Probably Uncharted again like on PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok op.

(Not trying to be a dick but your proclamation is kind of your own personal thing which doesn't really need validation. Do you)

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I've jumped between platforms since SNES and Mega Drive days, sometimes within same generation. Nothing wrong with it. Its ultimately your time and money.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently thinking the opposite, been PS this gen and thinking of going Xbox next. However I am basing this purely on hardware at the moment, I'm having noise issues with my Pro and with the current MS console being so quiet and the crazy cooling solution for the XSX I have faith that they'll make a quiet, reliable console. Then throw on top the power advantage and I feel like MS' console will be the one to have next gen. I also like the ecosystem with game pass and the BC program seems exemplary. I also prefer MS controllers.

However from a software standpoint Sony has the advantage, and currently by quite a margin. But maybe MS can turn that around next gen?

So yeah, Sony has the better software but currently MS has the better hardware. Maybe both these things will change?

I won't be diving into either at launch so I have plenty of time to decide.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Xbox has everything to prove next gen in terms of exclusives.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I'm on the "why not both" boat like with gen 7 & 8. I'll play mainly on Xbox but I'm loving some Sony's exclusives. For the first time I even may buy both at launch.

Honestly with Game Pass and Accessories BC, any Xbox owner could save enough money to get a PS5 within a few months

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Didnt get a Xbox this gen, but I have happy memories of both Xbox and Playstation (and Nintendo).

Will get a Playstation for the exclusives. Won't get a Xbox at launch probbably, but interesting to see what's going to come out of all the studio acquisitions. And I love Halo so really interested in that as well

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I actually expect that next generation Microsoft will give many playstation gamers are reason to also own their console thanks to their all powerful game pass offering.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
No way. Game Pass fits as a glove for my gaming needs, and I'm not willing to give that up.

drag00n18

Banned
Dec 7, 2018
I love what Phil has been doing with Xbox since he took over but I don't think I can roll the dice again with exclusives that likely won't interest me, and also being the odd one out again with my friends who mostly play on Playstation. I honestly feel kinda bad about leaving when they could possibly be right around the corner from finally producing some quality exclusives that I might care about. But I'm tired of missing out on Sony exclusives, and nothing besides Hellblade 2 has even slightly peaked my interest about their future exclusive projects. I don't care about Halo, Gears, or Forza. Gamepass seems like a great service but I don't have a ton of time to play games, so It's not a huge draw for me. I also have no desire to own two consoles so, after being on "Team Xbox" for over a decade, it's almost time to say goodbye.

Anyone else in this boat?

Not in the same boat. I'm invested in both Xbox and PlayStation ecosystems. With that said, I only use my PS4 Pro for exclusives. Everything else is on Xbox One X and mostly performs better. I expect this trend to continue performance wise and I'll have the best of both worlds. I prefer the Xbox controller and most of my friends and family game there too. I do not and refuse to play on PC for any games that aren't indy or strategy. I use a computer for work all day and generally can't stand to be on one any longer than needed. I prefer consoles and couldn't go the PC/PlayStation route many on here seem to implement. Lastly I have been "team green" from the beginning and will never forgive Sony for killing the Dreamcast. I'm mostly joking.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Glad I don't have to choose between A and B or C in gaming, all platforms have games that interest me. It's why I envy PC gamer, one box for all.

I will get all next gen console, but when the price is right for me and the library is mature.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
User warned: Thread whining
Does this really need a thread? Do whatever you want bro..

Oct 25, 2017
At least wait till we see what the two have to offer, lol.

I'll end up getting both boxes like I did this gen, though I'm not spending $1000 in a month so I'll probably get the second one later down the line. Unsure of which I'll get first, though I have Game Pass Ultimate for the next two years so kinda leaning in that direction. We'll see what MS and Sony have cooking soon.

Oct 28, 2017
I will buy everything, but the loudest machine will be played the least.
I went from a 360 to a PS4 at the start of the gen. I legit traded it in for an XB1 solely due to the unbearable fan noise. So distracting. I've since realized how much I love the Xbox ecosystem and controller, and with BC across all gens I know I can buy digitally confidently.

Will probably buy a PS5 for the Sony games down the line but my main console is for sure going to be XSX.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This is a weird time to make this decision, but it's your choice. Consoles are relatively expensive for many, so I can imagine many would be thinking long and hard about which way to go next gen, especially after both MS and Sony show their games.

as for me, I always buy everything. Will pick up the XSX and PS5 day one

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, PlayStation has some excellent games, but they still don't have something that would outdo Halo for me. Both Zelda/Halo are my favorite IPs of all time. I'll be getting both the PS5 and the XSX at launch.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I've been a supporter since the fat OG days and Xbox One is going to be my last Xbox. It's unbelievable the lack of first party games I even care about anymore.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really need a designated 'Team' ? Just get them both!
Sony will have some amazing exclusives no doubt and MS look to be making a roaring comeback with both their hardware and software.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
welcome to the family son greatness awaits!

Ojmrsb.gif

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I always buy both consoles but not both straight away at launch. For me it will be the PS5 unless MS shows me some good first party titles. I mainly use my X for third party and gamepass. But the first party titles are lacking. And people can sum up a list, but it was crap for how long the console has been out.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I always get both, but yeah Xbox has dropped the ball so hard this gen that I've decided not to jump in for the next one.

Having said that, if they finally get their act together then I may buy one mid gen. I'm just not convinced that'll happen still.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I started this gen with a PS4 and it was a fine ride of 100 games I got to own and play. I made the switch to Xbox with the One X and now I own over 500 games. I want to carry that digital library into next gen and beyond. I don't see myself leaving this ecosystem ever again.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Next Gen will be the first gen I don't have the Xbox console because I have a gaming PC and all Xbox exclusives are launching on PC so I don't see the need in having an Xbox anymore. 100% down to keep my Switch and get the PS5 though.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost everyone did this gen. Look at those PS4 sales. They saw what games are gonna end up with sequels on PS5. I buy consoles for exclusives, and Microsoft, from what I've seen, isn't planning on having exclusives on Xbox (all Xbox games are on PC). I'll be going PlayStation + PC again. I won't be missing anything as that is the ideal combo to have access to all games.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are in for one hell of a ride op. Get ps now whenever you do get the ps5, and you will have instant access some of the best exclusive.

I can see alot of the best sony exclusives getting added onto psnow permanently by the time ps5 comes out so you will be busy for a while.

Ps5+Pc+Nintendo is the killer combo next gen.

With Xbox I can see where you coming from alot of it is a facade and lip service and I've yet to see anything convincing. And hellblade 2 trailer does nothing for me until I see the gameplay.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For me it is always Playstation and Nintendo as a trusty 1-2, I usually pick up an Xbox later on in the gen. I did buy an X but I hardly used it compared to my Pro and Switch. If MS can release more quality and variety in their exclusives then that would really improve them, the OG Xbox is still their best effort on that part.

I really hope the new Xbox does well though because healthy competition is great for all. I also think the digital libraries people have bought into will make a huge influence on what console they will buy this gen.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah judging by your post history I would say you made that choice some time ago. Plus your posting this sentiment in a forum largely populated by PS owners and in a generation where PS sold like hot cakes, what kind of response where you looking for here?

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah, it's hard to go back to Xbox. I love Xbox and had the original and 360. Made the switch to PS4 this gen. Don't think I could go back because I know I would miss out on the superior first party support next gen

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Yeah, it's hard to go back to Xbox. I love Xbox and had the original and 360. Made the switch to PS4 this gen. Don't think I could go back because I know I would miss out on the superior first party support next gen
While your looking into the future can you let me know the powerball numbers for next week?