• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Yep

So I randomly applied for a pastry chef position at a lodge in Alaska thinking the chances of it happening were slim to none with it being just a shot in the dark.

After several weeks of talking to two women chefs there via email, they selected me and offered me a contracted job which includes paid travel to move there + room and board. I signed the contract and am set to leave in 5 weeks.

I've never been to Alaska so I have no idea what I'm in for but I'm pretty damn excited for the experience especially considering I'll be saving most of my dough while there and only paying for my apartment here in Chicago basically.

Anyone here live in Alaska (I'm going to be in Homer specifically) and have any tips on what I'm about to get myself into? 🧐

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and a few other posters here all live in the same town in Alaska actually. If you wanna PM me we can discuss specifics.

But basically it is cold, and then really hot in the summer. The temperature isn't crazy but basically no apartments will have AC and the 24 hour sun makes it hotter than normal.

Things are also more expensive pretty much across the board. So try not to be too shocked when your 4 for $4 Wendy's deal is actually for 4 for $6.

Edit: oh just saw you said homer. Bring a rain coat if you're going in the summer lol

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Used to live in Alaska. Homer isn't super cold, but pretty rainy.

All of Alaska in the summertime is my favorite place in America, easy. You'll be shocked by how much fresher the air is up there.

I have no actual experience with Alaska, but I wanted to say how hella awesome that is! Congrats, and you are going to be bathing in natural wonder and sweet, sweet simplicity. I would recommend (based purely on Alaska's general isolation and weather) to pack with an eye on being stuck inside a lot. Perhaps time to pick up/invest in a new book or TV series pre-bought or DL-ed for the adventure? Or get supplies for a new personal project (art stuff, or cooking experiments or writing, etc.)?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Used to live in Alaska. Homer isn't super cold, but pretty rainy.

All of Alaska in the summertime is my favorite place in America, easy. You'll be shocked by how much fresher the air is up there.
The air is straight up nasty here in the winter. And we voted to not let the city regulate wood burning and fix it 🤔

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be like 600 miles north of you. Homer is a chill place, small hippie town. Not a bad place to land when going to Alaska. Go get drunk at the Salty Dog.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Homer is actually quite nice in the summer not sure in the winter how much snow they get. I stay in anchorage all winter haha.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations on the Job! That's a great adventure and a great addition to your CV. I wish you best of success and a great time there! :)
Looking forward to pics.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Visiting Alaska is on my bucket list.

How come everything is so expensive? Is it because it's so remote from the lower 48? Is Hawaii also as expensive as Alaska then?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You will no longer need ice to help your finger heal because it's so cold in Alaska that it's like you're always wrapped in ice.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Living in NYC so long, that sounds like a dream. Enjoy the relative peace & good luck with the new job!

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I had no idea pastry chefs were in such demand.

It's actually pretty amazing. I used to work at high end hotels and the pastry chefs that would go there would be from all over the world with crazy stories. A year later they'd be off on some other adventure. Once you get into the hospitality business you can pretty much work anywhere on earth.