• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
In this version you can't even share the town visiting experience that was definitely a huge part of the original and the gameplay loop of the original is already muddled by not being made with direct communication between players in mind.
I don't think there's voice chat in the game so good luck organising like it's 2003...

hey! - let's play crystal chronicles! with all the charm removed!...

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
At this point I'm worried it's about to get delayed again. Surely it'd at least have a coming soon page on eShop if it was on track to release so soon. The official site hasn't been updated in ages either, which is odd if it's out so soon.

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
hey! - let's play crystal chronicles! with all the charm removed!...
A landmark for Crystal Chronicles!
The 1st game without charm!
Seriously though, I've said it before and I'll say it again it is meant to be played all in the same room.
And I can already see the trading sequence for this.
Player 1 gets the plan to build for endgame loot.
Player 2 gets the material
They give that to Player 3 or 4 (depending on the plan) who craft the loot to give back to the player that needs it.
Oh and all the trading happens in the Dungeons OF COURSE.

Worst part is that there's a degree of personalisation to the town they could have added that visiting the towns with other players would have made awesome.
Kinda like My Life as a King or Animal Crossing (to a significantly lesser extent).

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
D-does this mean no cow racing mini game?
Why would you want that to begin with?
I think only Crystal Bearers managed to have a racing minigame that wasn't a total disaster!
Also mog stamps are supposedly still there so no reason for them to not have the minigame out.
I mean even without GBAs you could play that in single player I think.
As eurogamers put it
The Blazing Caravans racing minigame is both utterly joyless and - thankfully - completely optional.

You can still bet on cow racing though from a guide that seems to be about the remastered version...
samurai-gamers.com

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition - Cow Racing Mini Game Guide – SAMURAI GAMERS

A guide on the Cow Racing Mini Game in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition. Included are the mini game's objectives, availability, how to access, rewards, and strategies to win.
How the fuck does that work?
Probably a repurposing of the guilde of the old game till the new one is released and then they update the parts that are different I guess.

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think Nintendo is aware of when the game is gonna come out
www.nintendo.co.uk

FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES™ Remastered Edition

Create unforgettable memories with this beloved co-op adventure!
There's no page at all on nintendo.com.
the EU pages are all similar with TBD as release date.
I can get that they're only marketing the game for the ps4 but there's not even a page on Google Play!

final fantasy – Applications Android sur Google Play

Profitez de millions d'applications Android récentes, de jeux, de titres musicaux, de films, de séries, de livres, de magazines, et plus encore. À tout moment, où que vous soyez, sur tous vos appareils.
(although the SquareEnix page does say that the release date isn't set in stone for Android or iOS).

Is the game coming out elsewhere than on ps4 and in Japan on Switch?

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Any information if it is possible to play with GameCube controllers (100% compatibility)?

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Any information if it is possible to play with GameCube controllers (100% compatibility)?
Is the Gamecube controller supported like a special classic controller?
Like are there games that were released before SSBU that support Classic Controller and don't support GC Controller?

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Game is being sent to die. Like the marketing around the remaster has been bizarre.
I follow Kumi Tanioka on twitter and I can tell you they fully expect some good results in Japan at least.
The rest of the world? That's apparently a contractual obligation they barely feel like indulging.

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Shame because I remember the original game selling well overseas.
It's one giant missed opportunity, there's a lot this could be that could make this special.
The original was a lot of things but high budget it wasn't.
I don't think it's a good idea to halfass a remaster like that.
At least we got Trials of Mana out of recent Square Enix.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
People are gonna buy this game based on all the buzz they've heard over the years, but then become baffled because half of the stuff that made it great has been removed. I started a new playthrough recently and was trying to work out how some of these mechanics would work with online-only and it sounds like they're just not in it lmao

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Is the Gamecube controller supported like a special classic controller?
Like are there games that were released before SSBU that support Classic Controller and don't support GC Controller?

You can use in any game, but the display of the buttons in the game maybe can have buttons missing.

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You can use in any game, but the display of the buttons in the game maybe can have buttons missing.
then it should work as is.
There's some games that take special care to exclude Pro Controllers but it would be a pretty shitty remaster if it didn't support even that.

e:
The game support Pro Controller per the Japanese Eshop game
ec.nintendo.com

ファイナルファンタジー・クリスタルクロニクル リマスター ダウンロード版

任天堂の公式オンラインストア。「ファイナルファンタジー・クリスタルクロニクル リマスター ダウンロード版」の販売ページ。マイニンテンドーストアではNintendo Switch(スイッチ)やゲームソフト、ストア限定、オリジナルの商品を販売しています。
対応コントローラー Nintendo Switch Proコントローラー
I like digging stuffs and archeology in general but this game is pushing boundaries.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
There's some games that take special care to exclude Classic Controllers but it would be a pretty shitty remaster if it didn't support even that.

e:
The game support Classic Controller per the Japanese Eshop game
ec.nintendo.com

任天堂の公式オンラインストア。「ファイナルファンタジー・クリスタルクロニクル リマスター ダウンロード版」の販売ページ。マイニンテンドーストアではNintendo Switch(スイッチ)やゲームソフト、ストア限定、オリジナルの商品を販売しています。

I like digging stuffs and archeology in general but this game is pushing boundaries.

When you say Classic Controller, do you mean Pro? As far as I know the last controller Nintendo branded "Classic" was for the Wii.

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
When you say Classic Controller, do you mean Pro? As far as I know the last controller Nintendo branded "Classic" was for the Wii.
Yeah I mean Pro Controller,
they're the same for me for some reason.
Functionally the Pro Controller for WiiU took the place of the Wii Classic Controller so I guess that's why I merge the 2
I edited for clarification

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
There's some games that take special care to exclude Classic Controllers but it would be a pretty shitty remaster if it didn't support even that.

e:
The game support Classic Controller per the Japanese Eshop game
ec.nintendo.com

Maybe not. Depending on the buttons mapping, they could have added another commands. So, it will not work with 100% of fidelity.

I hope they used the same mapping of the original. So, it will work 100%.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean Pro Controller,
they're the same for me for some reason.
Functionally the Pro Controller for WiiU took the place of the Wii Classic Controller so I guess that's why I merge the 2
I edited for clarification

There was the Classic Controller, and then the Classic Pro. I think the Classic Pro was what evolved into the Wii U Pro controller and eventually the Switch Pro controller. I love it when Nintendo charges extra for a regular controller. 😞

Jan 2, 2018
Do we know yet if you can play the whole game with friends online or just the dungeons?

There was the Classic Controller, and then the Classic Pro. I think the Classic Pro was what evolved into the Wii U Pro controller and eventually the Switch Pro controller. I love it when Nintendo charges extra for a regular controller. 😞

What do you expect? A free Pro-controller in addition to the Joy-con?

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
That's very confusing. I would have presumed it would check the system region, not the game region, which obviously would not matter with a physical copy.
It is likely the game region, Splatoon 2 works the same way. I have the JPN version of Splatoon 2 but my Switch has a US region (and I use my US account to play Splatoon 2). I am only matched with people who also have the JPN version. The game is also only in Japanese unlike other cross region multiplayer Switch games, so I would presume regional versions of CC would only be available in that language though I could be wrong.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Dungeon only in online, region lock online, no local coop...
And then that.
It's basically almost completely pointless to play.
You're not sharing the experience anymore, it's barely half the game it was.
Depressing release.
It is likely the game region, Splatoon 2 works the same way. I have the JPN version of Splatoon 2 but my Switch has a US region (and I use my US account to play Splatoon 2). I am only matched with people who also have the JPN version. The game is also only in Japanese unlike other cross region multiplayer Switch games, so I would presume regional versions of CC would only be available in that language though I could be wrong.
That can't be right for Splatoon...
I have an european vereion and I'm matched with people from countries around depending on where I live.

At first it was a lot of french and people from countries around, now mostly japanese and so on as I'm living much closer to there. Can't be just a coincidence.
I didn't even realize this wasn't coming to Pc. What in the fuck Square??? Hope the Switch port is good.
Why would the Switch version specifically be bad ? Or are you wondering if every version of the port is ok but mentioned switch because that's your platform of choice ?

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Why would the Switch version specifically be bad ? Or are you wondering if every version of the port is ok but mentioned switch because that's your platform of choice ?
Yeah since there isn't a PC version I would prefer to get it on my Seitch rather than my PS4. Just hope the disparity between the 2 consoles aren't too big.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
On Switch, it's very likely that it's the very same copy since everything is released at the same time...
Unlike Collection of Mana.
We don't have a precedent for what's happening here I guess.
Still at least it should be 30$ over the usual 40/50 pricetag :/

Japan's SKU is japanese only and region locked to JP servers. You cannot import this game for EN play physically.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I already pre-ordered it and can't wait to play! Wasn't expecting it to be $30, which was a nice surprise.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I have a North American copy of Splatoon 2 and I match with Japanese players constantly. I don't think that it has regional matchmaking?

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
eShop UK just updated listing dlc which includes skins, from all the other FFCC games (My Life as King/Darklord/Crystal Bearers, etc.) and other stuff like a moogle weapon bundle, but it seems like preorders still aren't up.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question: Is there any indication if the western version is dual audio? This wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it feels like a big oversight if it doesn't, since Square Enix is generally been really good about this (minus Kingdom Hearts, which might honestly be a combination of Disney and Johnny's being the problem). Heck, SaGa Scarlet Grace was supposed to and then once it released, information was removed and game was monolingual.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
People are gonna buy this game based on all the buzz they've heard over the years, but then become baffled because half of the stuff that made it great has been removed. I started a new playthrough recently and was trying to work out how some of these mechanics would work with online-only and it sounds like they're just not in it lmao

the original game requires constant communication simply in order to do well (among other things), something which was second nature with local co-op. so, unless square has somehow put together some form of easy-to-use, cross-platform voice chat for this remaster, you are correct - much of the game, as it was in its original form, anyway, simply won't work any more...

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Here's the preorder theme. I love it.

Thanks,
I added a threadmark, I'll also add that to the OP

the original game requires constant communication simply in order to do well (among other things), something which was second nature with local co-op. so, unless square has somehow put together some form of easy-to-use, cross-platform voice chat for this remaster, you are correct - much of the game, as it was in its original form, anyway, simply won't work any more...
That's why I'm really thinking that the ideal way to play this game is everyone in the same room with the ps4 on TV and the rest either on Switch handheld or mobile.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bummed that my review copy for FFCC probably won't come with the pre-order theme. Most digital review codes don't include the bonuses.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
That's why I'm really thinking that the ideal way to play this game is everyone in the same room with the ps4 on TV and the rest either on Switch handheld or mobile.

without easy to use voice chat, this's basically the only way to play the game that'll actually work...

which, of course, raises the question: why not just separate controllers, with screen-in-screen when necessary?...

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
without easy to use voice chat, this's basically the only way to play the game that'll actually work...

which, of course, raises the question: why not just separate controllers, with screen-in-screen when necessary?...
For me that's about the way I intended to use the game because that suits my very specific stupid needs.
single screen with just separate controllers is kind of inelegant because you're gonna spend quite a few time in the menus and the GC original dealt with that by not interrupting the action and the 2nd screen doing all the menuing.
That way people could still play and move while the player(s) was fiddling with inventory (it's one of these games with limited inventory).
Even the worst single screen solution wouldn't have been ideal but even I would have found a way to accomodate.
I really think that's an even lower budget project than stuff like Trials of Mana and so they didn't have the budget to rework the game for single screen co op.
No online would have been unacceptable in this day and age so they focused on that.
They gave us cross play because that's probably easy to implement and good PR for them since Sony is no longer against and they can recoup any risk with mobile versions, Switch being too big to ignore especially in 2020.

I think we're giving more thoughts than any higher ups ever did, I still think the people making it are pretty passionate about it. They wouldn't have included FFCC franchise fanservice otherwise (and the bean counters won't mind because they just have to lift models from old existing projects with minimal rework).

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Does Square Enix release preorder themes to the store eventually? I would love to buy that theme.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Bummed to see that the Japanese physical likely doesn't have English language option on the cart. Makes me wonder if I should cancel my amazon jp copy. No point in buying it at full price if is just going to sit on my shelf.

Still a part of me that want's to believe it will have English though.