• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
EsjzISRXMAAdW2B

So she's a hero to the tory voters right? And the brexit voters too? Or is ths torygraph now trying to spin brexit as a bad thing the tories were forced into rather than the thing the tories, their media friends and the idiots who parroted their shit for years demanded be done because it would be the best thing ever for the UK and unburden us from the EU and set us free?

Honestly I find it hilarious they've pivoted to try and act like the issues aren't the UK government's fault.....they had 5 years to figure out a deal and plan and instead wasted it doing jack shit for most of the time. They allowed their prime minister at the time to activate a 2 year countdown without a single plan of what they actually wanted before doing so.

Honestly as others have mentioned I may be a dick for it but all I can do now is laugh my ass off at anyone who voted for brexit and any industry that voted for it in huge numbers and are feeling the pain of their stupid decisions now. People had not 1, not 2 but 3 chances to stop this madness after the first vote and they decided to charge full speed ahead without a care for the people who would always be the forgotten ones in the tory run UK without an EU to stop their evil shit.

So I will continue to be a dick and laugh at the selfish fucks who are now feeling the consequences of their actions, consequences that once again, they were warned about for years before hand and they chose to ignore and call lies.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Uk business has been told that if it wants to sell products in the EU to set up EU subsidiaries to get around the insane forms and costs of brexit. Fine for amazon and the like, shit for Sheila who makes decorative boxes or Steve who makes cheese etc.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Labour are still thinking that they can't possibly re-negotiate anything with the EU if they will (ever) win the next elections.

What an absolute shit show, but then again: they overwhelmingly voted for a clown, we get a circus in return.
Fucking hate all of them.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
EMPeqoaXUAE2t-j.jpg:large

It was a fantastic year for Britain last year and it just keeps getting better. ar soverenity iz aut ov dis werld!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think the impact has been felt by the public yet due to lockdown and pandemic. There's been a few shortages with vegetable and fruit stock, but it's businesses and those that manage imports that have felt the immediate impact of Brexit so far. The paperwork and red tape has increased significantly. HMRC have moved import tax from being paid upon entry to point of sale, meaning external businesses have to register with HMRC and keep up with tax laws, now imagine the precedent that sets, if other nations start doing this, imagine a company having to admin all that, it's ridiculous. So some businesses have stopped selling to UK customers!

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen a couple of stories on BBC News

1) Cheese company that sells products around £25-£30 in value. Exported £180k worth of goods to EU last year. Now needs to get each item they export to the EU signed off from a vet at cost of £180 i.e. not feasible. Advice from DEFRA (UK Gov Dept) was to set up shop in the EU to avoid such fees.

2) People buying clothes online from EU retailers - price on website - £200. Item ships, goes through customs, £150+ added to the cost in customs fees. Retailer from EU doesn't know what the fee is so can't warn you in advance.

It's going good!

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
So many fucking idiots have been conned.
I know we should hate the con men and not the conned, but when people were warned over and over again and ignored it, I've lost all sympathy.

Ian Perkes - Before Brexit - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/l...exit-deal-could-cause-major-disruptions-in-uk
A load of old tosh. There is never going to be any fish left on the dock. Every fish here for the last 30 years is sold. Nothing is ever left. There'll be no fish left rotting on the dock, I can assure you of that. I think business will continue, and we will thrive, which is why I voted out.
After Brexit - https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/22/...r-brexit-ruins-his-business-almost-overnight/
I was taken along on the ride we were all on

June Mummery - Another Brexit champion.
Before Brexit - Here she is telling James O'Brien to ignore the facts and figures then proceeds to quote estimates as her own facts and figures...
www.lbc.co.uk

Brexiteer Tells James O'Brien To Stop Giving Her Facts During Argument

This Brexiteer stopped in the middle of an argument with James O'Brien to ask him to stop quoting facts at her.
After Brexit - https://twitter.com/writesbright/status/1352597757857566722?s=21

This was all about the rich avoiding the EUs crackdown on tax havens. They didn't give a fuck about anything else. So they sold people unicorns and false promises that remain couldn't compete with. All of these politicians need dragging in front of a judge and questioning. It's disgraceful the mess we're in and there's absolutely no consequences for politicians.

A lot of firms have halted UK deliveries as they don't know how to deal with the red tape. I'm still stuck waiting for a few items.
Even courier firms that should be prepared are struggling. DPD had stopped EU deliveries up until last week.

Edit: I think want really pissed me off about these people is that if they weren't effected by Brexit, you just know they wouldn't have any sympathy for industries or people that were. They only regret it because it hurt them.

Last edited:

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Regarding the customs fee, if I ordered something from within the EU (Poland) in late December, am I going to get slapped with a fee? The items haven't been delivered yet.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Its on a pandemic break. Companies stockpiled goods, some didn't prepare, some that could afford to set up new legal entities in EU to deal with the new beauracracy, did.

People in NI noticed some supermarket shelves were emptier, some shoppers found they were being charged customs for overseas purchases.

Probably won't have a clearer idea of the impact for months or years.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There's a certain irony that the UK was at the same time trying to lock itself out of Europe with Brexit and kind of being a dunce about conducting proper lockdown for COVID.

"We want to be isolationist!"
"Okay, well let's isolate ourselves so as not to spread this disease."
"Sod off, we want to holiday in Spain now!"

Oct 30, 2017
Not noticing a difference so far because of the COVID mess in my bubble.

Might also hide the real impact of brexit/be an excuse for it forever....!

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Reddit the other day, I can only think of how many other people think the same way

I ordered an amazing product from the UK for deliver to NL. Before Brexit no charges just seamless delivery. Today on a purchase of €140 I've received a customs and duty charges of €60! I'm devastated for UK businesses as this will impact a lot of people's purchases, once they realise these added additional costs.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
My sister had deliveries from the UK returned to the sender.

I believe some delivery companies are pausing deliveries from the UK altogether.

Ditto, my brother and sister-in-law in London have had problems and delays getting stuff from the continent.

I think everyone thought with the 'free trade deal' there wouldn't be these problems - but red tape alone is causing big problems, not to mention reports of customs afterall on various products.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It'll actually be worse after June. From what I understand there are more customs/tax laws coming in around then.
You pay customs charges on products shipped from the UK as of now, but after June UK people will pay customs charges on things shipped to the UK.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
But Brexit is a huge success right? so what they are saying is Merckel saved us and the Tories have done nothing right? or are they saying Brexit is bad and we should fight against it?

How are the right wing readers meant to know which way the wind is blowing?

Brexit is the shambles i always expected it to be, its going to get worse and the sooner all the brexit voting idiots know this and fall on their swords the better! we need to go back to the EU and sort this mess out, i don't know by rejoining fully? hell fuck the pound lets have the euro! its only weaker because of the pound?

I don't get how right wing people can look to the USA and thing wow look at how amazing that is, and then the idea of a federal Europe is the devil..........wait i do know Murdoch media told them thats the way to think

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Seen a bunch of EU based websites flat out refusing to dispatch orders to the UK now, including some stuff I was looking at buying. Some sites just have a splash screen on their storefront if you're coming from a UK IP address that basically says "lol, no"

So... Yeah, it's going about as well as everyone who thought about it critically for half a second expected.

Little Englanders are the worst.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Its great! Back to the glory days of blitz spirit, eating spam and blue passports!

I am going to become a chimney sweep next week and cant wait to shine the fat cat house owners boots! :)

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
My local Sainsbury's has to stock own-brand products from Spar (a competitor) because of the food shortages here in Northern Ireland imposed by the new Irish Sea customs border. And the government's line on it is that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

So about as well as I expected

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Do you guys think it may get better in the future?
Every thing is such a mess right now with virus jamming folks up and causing so much business activity to go downhill.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Domestic british fashion returning any minute now ...

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Domestic british fashion returning any minute now ...

As an America who continues to stare in bewilderment at all the garbage Trump's "trade wars" have brought on us, I can only continue to ask:

Who the fuck actually likes tariffs? Like when you know tariffs are the thing that's on the table, what dumb-fuck actually signs up for that?

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Every thing is such a mess right now with virus jamming folks up and causing so much business activity to go downhill.

There are teething issues regarding paperwork which should resolve themselves. Not all businesses might survive to get to that point, though.

However, additional costs and barriers (such as country-of-origin certification amongst many others) are here to stay. British exporters are now fundamentally less competitive than EU-based suppliers.

We are almost certain to see continued negotiations with the EU, to bring us closer to the trading relationship we previously had. Brexit is the only major trade negotiation to insert more barriers to trade between nations but, as continental Europe remains our nearest geographic neighbour, future talks will aim to remove some of these restrictions.

And if that strikes you as underlining the pointlessness of leaving the EU in the first place, well, join the club. We could have used you back in 2016.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017

It absolutely will get better in the future, and this will be trumpeted as a great win for Brexit and proof that Remoaners were just making a fuss over nothing, and all the problems were caused by Kier Starmer's approach to Coronavirus.

Meanwhile for most people it will never get better to the point where it's remotely as good as pre-Brexit.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Short-Term (3-6 months): No, it's going to get worse.
Medium-Term: Yes, in six months to a year or so they'll have some of the paperwork automated or reduced.
Long-Term: No, the customs and tax charges will stay, so once that is realized companies will be doing more drastic things like leaving the UK.

Wallers

May 9, 2020
I'm waiting to see how much my order from the Bodum sale costs me when it arrives on Wednesday. I've been waiting since early December, it was supposed to be a Christmas present, but the border closed and Brexit happened. My wife wants me to work out a figure that if the DHL man says it's over I'll send it away.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding COVID-19, the pandemic (I believe) has meant fewer goods crossing the channel overall. While many businesses chose to stock up in advance, which meant a shortage of space to offload shipping containers - due to the uncertainty of a deal being likely until the last minute - we aren't seeing the usual levels of traffic.

I mentioned rules-of-origin certification - this won't actually be required until 2022. So, we're not actually seeing the reality of Brexit on our exports just quite yet, aside from fishing. Unless more concessions can be secured, the true pain is yet to come.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Leopards, faces, etc.

I'm lucky enough to have not been affected yet, but I'm sure something will happen.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if travel from mainland to, e.g., Scotland, is already a different affair from before brexit? I remember reading that travel benefits would remain for some time after day zero, but i'm not sure. I would still probably like to visit, if not this year (what with things right now), probably in the next.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the customs fee, if I ordered something from within the EU (Poland) in late December, am I going to get slapped with a fee? The items haven't been delivered yet.
Customs can be somewhat random in certain countries, so it is not impossible that your order will slip through without customs, but it will be eligible for customs. The order date won't change that and you should be prepared for some kind of fee.

Some parts will get better. Any of the current issues that are being caused by procedural misunderstandings - like people filling in forms incorrectly or not understanding what process they need to follow - will improve over time.

However some of the issues are structural. Most of the rules and regulations surrounding EU imports and exports for third countries are not going to change. Things like customs and inspections and bureaucracies will still exist and EU/NI <-> GB trade will continue to be subject to them. Some businesses on either side will choose not to deal with that, and some will simply become non-viable. Some of those business decisions haven't happened yet. In that sense, the structural effects are likely to gradually get worse.

As an America who continues to stare in bewilderment at all the garbage Trump's "trade wars" have brought on us, I can only continue to ask:

Who the fuck actually likes tariffs? Like when you know tariffs are the thing that's on the table, what dumb-fuck actually signs up for that?
There's no tariffs involved in that story. The fees there from other things - customs, VAT, VAT on customs, processing charges for the companies who now have to take care of the bureaucracy around customs).

Tariffs are only one of the many potential costs and headaches involved in international trade. The deal between the UK and EU avoids tariffs in general, but there is a reason why a zero-tariff trade deal is normally called a "thin" (or sometimes "skinny") trade agreement.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Thanks for the responses.
We had our own "Brexit" these past 4 years. The Trump tariffs really did us no good business wise. The last one he imposed was on German and French wines with a 25% tariff. It will take a while for the Biden administration to deal with this since it was retaliation for tariffs on Boeing.
What a mess!
You guys have the virus, Brexit, and the weather the past few weeks to deal with. Hopefully it gets better. Spring is coming one day.

Nov 8, 2017
I live in the Netherlands and for years I've been ordering Indian curry kits from a small local business in the UK. Sounds like that won't be feasible any more after reading this thread. :(