• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix's….memorable conference reminded me that this was in fact a game that released a few months ago.

I'm on Era almost every day to check the news, yet I haven't seen anyone mention this game since it came out.

How did it end up being?

Would love to hear how it compared to the original too, as I'm a huge fan of it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. It's a little less boring than the original Bravely but it still didn't hold my attention for very long.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much a "next-gen" Bravely Default in terms of looks. Aside from that, the gameplay is very similar and the story follows the classic "4 heroes of light hunting for the 4 Crystals".

It's okay, but don't expect anything drastically different from past two games.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I was kind of excited to play it, played it for like an hour and felt very lukewarm on it after realizing I might not have been in the mood for a rote JRPG experience.

Hoping someone here can convince me it's worth going back to.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty forgettable in terms of story and characters. The battle system is still fun to exploit though.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
It's fun! If you're looking for just a fine jrpg with the fun bravely default system and an amazing ost, that's bravely default II.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some fun boss battles, but probably among the most generic stories I've experienced in a while.

No more 4 warriors of light stories please guys.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I fucking loved it, put over 130 hours into it grinding up a dozen combinations of teams to smash the endgame challenges and final boss
es.

Pretty much everything I want out of a job-based JRPG. But I guess I'm in the minority?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. There were things I liked about BD1 more than BD2, but it was definitely a worthy successor overall IMO. If you like turn-based combat and job systems it scratches those itches.

Pretty easy, although there are some challenges towards the end (plus of course some broken job combos that can trivialize them).

Jul 3, 2019
Really enjoyed it, it's not breaking any new ground though.
The soundtrack is excellent and is worth listening to even if you don't play it.
Still one of my favorite turn based battle systems and after beating it I prefer how turn order is in this game compared Bravely Default and Bravely Second.

Some cute meta twists in the end of the game which aren't as long in the tooth as prior entries.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
It was alright. Put about 10 hours into it and dropped it though. Fun battle system, standard story.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
It's pretty good. The battle system and job customization is still great, as are the asterisk holders and the main characters are pretty likeable. It's very "safe", and kinda of what I expected. There's a typical Bravely style twist in the story, as in you need more than gathering the 4 crystals to save the world, but you don't have to repeat the same story beats 5 times so it's better paced than the first one.

Soundtrack is great but IMO not as much as the original.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Personally loved it. My favorite game of the year so far, which to be fair might not say that much, as it has been abysmal.

But lots of fun build combinations to toy around with, in a good combat system, which is very much the sole star of the game. Story etc. is quite forgettable.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Good gameplay, horrible everything else. I couldn't stick with it because I hated the story and characters.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It's a JRPG that would've got lost in the shuffle in the PS1/PS2 era due to it being just fine and there being far better options available. But as there are less options available in the genre nowadays, it might be worth a try.

That's how I see it at least

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wanna play it just to see what kind of meta twist they're going for this time, but I'm still considerably less interested in it than I was in the first two games. I don't know how much I should be judging it for just having played the first demo, though. I should play the final demo sometime when I'm not too busy playing something else.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The story was extremely generic. I hope you aren't playing it for that.

The gameplay was probably the best in the series.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Best of the 3. Really solid voice acting. It's pretty too.

i liked it more than Ocotpath.
It's not amazing, or overly special. It's just the best of this series so fAr

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I kind of wanna play it just to see what kind of meta twist they're going for this time, but I'm still considerably less interested in it than I was in the first two games. I don't know how much I should be judging it for just having played the first demo, though. I should play the final demo sometime when I'm not too busy playing something else.
The only meta twist is
the secret class Bravebearer which is sort of supposed to represent you, the player, "bearing" the game "Bravely Default 2" and breaking the game by exploiting all the mechanics. All of Bravebearers abilities scale based on time played, money earned, battles won, etc.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
It got better at least with character writing after I played BD and BS on 3DS. I spent 57 hours total and I got most major quests done and I liked the new job outfits except for really cursed outfits like a gambler.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
It was okay. It felt like a step back from the DS games in a lot of ways. I liked the voice acting, and the writing itself was decent, but the story was boring.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I loved it. I was so-so on the two 3DS games but I think most of the gameplay changes in this game were very good. I was a big fan of them ditching round-based actions and moving towards individual turns. Spent a lot of time completing as much of the game as I could.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
It's a decent game with the usuals great gameplay the team is known for, but it's easily the worst of the three. It just lacks any of the creativity BD or especially BS had.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
It's good if you need something to scratch that old school FF itch. IMO, the story and gameplay don't quite live up to the original and it's sequel, though.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it a ton. Card game was surprisingly engaging too.
Cast was better imo. The first BD was too tropey for my taste in general.

Oct 30, 2017
Really enjoyed it.
Plot was like a 7/10 but was propped up by the great voice acting. Enjoyed the wide range of jobs as well.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I beat the game, and would give it like. a solid 6.5-7/10. It's fine. Some of the characters are fun and have decent interactions. Some moments are interesting. Boss fights are interesting but some of the late game scaling is unpleasant. A lot of the actually dungeon aspects felt tedious, including normal encounters. The job system was by far the most interesting aspect of the game--which is why I play BD games, tbh, but I've always enjoyed the music and characters a lot more for previous titles.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, story and characters being okay, but not anything to really praise is disappointing.

Might just hold out hope for a Black Friday sale.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat it (like beat the shit out of it beat it; nothing in the game could stand up to my final party load out) and I have difficulty recommending it. It's very grindy, very light on meaningful content, and even its best moments are just merely ok to good as far as JRPGs go. It filled a couple of slow weeks on my gaming calendar, but that's about it.

And holy shit does some of the music suck. Hope you like the sound of trumpets on helium.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
I loved it. Great job system, and while the plot could have used some more twists, I liked the story and the characters.

GARU

Oct 16, 2020
VERY simple and straightforward RPG. The first few hours are meh, the boss battles are pretty hectic and fun though.

At one point it picked up and the gameplay loop with the mix and matching of the jobs got pretty cool and addicting for me and the story got a bit more interesting. I ended putting 95 hours into it which I didn't expect.

Edit: If you are gonna play it, put the voices in Japanese. I usually dislike putting my games in Japanese but the delivery there is leagues better than the one in English, Elvis in particular was the worst offender of the English dub, completely different character.

Last edited:

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
Is thev story bad enough that it has impeded people's enjoyment? I liked the first one but never finished it. Mainly because I rarely finish most games

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
The only meta twist is
the secret class Bravebearer which is sort of supposed to represent you, the player, "bearing" the game "Bravely Default 2" and breaking the game by exploiting all the mechanics. All of Bravebearers abilities scale based on time played, money earned, battles won, etc.

There's another one.

The Night's Nexus save file in Lady Emma's book.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome, totally lived up to the other Bravely games for me.

Gameplay systems are a clear iteration on what they had before, really strong fundamentals with some subtle tweaks that make it feel a bit different. Familiar but also new to me.

I agree that the foreground plot is kind of dull, but the characters and background lore were really great in my opinion, and develop the Bravely universe in an interesting and meaningful way.

Music is just incredible across the board. There are so many battle themes it's kind of extra, but they are all amazing.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The only meta twist is
Don't forget that
The party is able to "see the future" of Gloria's death, because the player wrote that memory into their book by saving the game after the ending. The main meta element in this game is how the player manipulates the book to help the party. In effect the player takes the role that the Adventurer used to have in the previous Bravely games.