• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you cook rice

• Rice cooker

Votes: 195 20.5%
  • Pot on stove

Votes: 735 77.1%
  • Oven

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Don't eat rice

Votes: 11 1.2%
  • Freezer method

Votes: 6 0.6%

• Total voters

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I grew up as PWT in the '70s & '80s. I never even knew rice cookers existed until I moved to Japan in my 20s. I can cook rice in a pot all day every day if I had to. But I've got a rice cooker, so it's all good.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What in the absolute fuck.

You put twice as much water as rice, put in a little salt and turn off the heat when it comes to the boil. It's literally the easiest shit in the world to cook.

There's a little more to it than that, and there are so many different ways to actually cook it too. Rinsing it can also help to prevent it from becoming really sticky, although then you end up losing some of the "enrichment" that was added to it. Different rice types also call for different amounts of water. Sometimes simply adding "twice the water" is wrong, and you're better off with slightly less.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
0.5 + (1 x cup of rice ) cups of water
Some onion
Some garlic
Some evoo
Some rice

sautée onions in 1-2tbs of olive oil until almost translucent on med high
Add garlic, sautée 30s-1m until raw edge is gone
Add rice, sautée until fragrant and mildly nutty smelling (1-2m), add salt
Add water, bring to boil over med high
Once at a boil, reduce to low, cover let cook 15-17m depending on burner

remove from heat, cover with paper towels, and put lid back on. Let steam with the lid and paper towels 10m
Remove lid, fluff with fork, enjoy amazing perfect rice

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll sometimes use my instant pot if I've got a bunch of other things cooking on the stove, but I'll normally just do it on the stove.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a very mediocre cook but cooking rice on the stove is super easy. Only issue I run into is some getting stuck to bottom of pot but the rice itself is always nice and soft.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Cooking rice on a stove is easy as shit. Half cup of rice per cup of water.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know you could struggle with boiling rice... what the hell? lol

Also why would you use oil?

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
There's a little more to it than that, and there are so many different ways to actually cook it too. Rinsing it can also help to prevent it from becoming really sticky, although then you end up losing some of the "enrichment" that was added to it. Different rice types also call for different amounts of water. Sometimes simply adding "twice the water" is wrong, and you're better off with slightly less.

I can't think of a single other thing you would do outside of what I posted for some plain-ass white rice. Obviously you have to let it sit for a bit to "fluff up" but in terms of anything someone actively has to do, that's the step-by-step the process.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of a single other thing you would do outside of what I posted for some plain-ass white rice. Obviously you have to let it sit for a bit to "fluff up" but in terms of anything someone actively has to do, that's the step-by-step the process.

I mean it's not hard, but again it's not just "dump in the rice, dump in the water, boil and shut off". A lot of people can cook rice, but sometimes it takes a few tries to even get it to come out edible.

I've been cooking it in a pot for almost two decades now, and I still end up with issues at times due to a handful of variables.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I use jasmine rise. About 1 1/4 cup water to every 1/2 of rice. Boil for a few minutes, then reduce to simmer. Stir every once in a while until done. Stirring is the most important part to avoid sticking. Easy peasy.
I use a rice cooker but I learned a HUGELY valuable tip for not sticking. It might or might not apply to cooking rice in a pot. Basically. Once it's cooked leave the lid on, take it off the heat and leave for a few minutes and then it won't stick to the bottom.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019

always always wash your rice unless it's organic.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Key to cooking rice is to put in the rice right after you add water to the pot. Prevents rice from sticking together. There's your pro tip for the day.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Admit it Era, cooking rice in a pot is hard as fuck. Finding the right amount of water and oil to use is a pain and is NEVER consistent

What the fuck are you on about, rice cookers are handy but they are pretty lazy.

Making savoury rice is better in a pot but it's not impossible in a rice cooker.

No format of rice cooking is hard.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's not hard, but again it's not just "dump in the rice, dump in the water, boil and shut off". A lot of people can cook rice, but sometimes it takes a few tries to even get it to come out edible.

I've been cooking it in a pot for almost two decades now, and I still end up with issues at times due to a handful of variables.

I don't know what to tell you man. I've never once fucked up rice in a way that didn't just involve me accidentally forgetting about it. The notion that there's nuance to it outside of not putting in an excessive amount of water and looking for bubbles doesn't make any sense to me. I've probably fucked up scrambled eggs more times in my life than I've fucked up rice.

Actually, scratch that. I've definitely fucked up scrambled eggs more times in my life than I've fucked up rice.

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any filipinos in here wanna share the secret?

Edit: I'm filipino myself. To cook rice on the stove, all you need is a finger.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
1. Drop some oil in the pot
2. Add rice, careful to ensure it doesn't burn
3. Add 1.5x cup of water per cup of rice
4. Add in 0.5x cup of chicken stock per cup of rice
5. Once water comes to a boil, turn to lowest heat with lid on for 40ish minutes.
6. Add garlic, parsley onion powder to taste

I cook on the stove more than using my rice cooker, despite it taking longer.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Let's see, two cups of rice and same amount of water?

I could do it eyes closed, but now I think I would mess up the first try.

Last time I did, was for a funeral tho, a little over 15 years ago. Daily grub has almost always being made with a rice cooker, even before they were fully electric. I miss my old ass gas Tiger, it would clicky and clanky, but always deliver a fine cooked rice.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I don't make rice often, but I do make it when I have taco nights at home since rice in tacos/burritos is killer. I always use a pot and I've never had an issue.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
The only rice I've ever had trouble with is short grain "sushi" rice. Outside of not putting enough water in to begin with I'm not sure how you can fuck up any other. It's okay to pour a shitload of water into the pot. Just pour the extra off after it's cooked.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I buy frozen rice pack and put it in the microwave.

Moving on to cauliflower "rice", and same method for that.

If I go back to regular rice, I'll make it via my instant pot

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I just buy Boil-in-Bag rice and throw that in a glass bowl with water and microwave it for 10 minutes.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Admit it Era, cooking rice in a pot is hard as fuck. Finding the right amount of water and oil to use is a pain and is NEVER consistent

For short white rice, water is just the same amount as the rice, plus half a cup. 1 cup rice, 1.5 cups water. 2 cups rice, 2.5 cups water. I use half a cup of shaoxing rice wine instead of water. Oil is just for flavor, you don't really need it. Different kinds of rice might need different amounts of water, but only slightly.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cook with a rice cooker, but only bc I'm lazy. I can cook rice in a pot. You literally just YouTube rice cooking videos if you're having issues.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
white rice is always in the cooker. but other types of rice like yellow it's always on the stove. if i'm going to have to melt the butter and cook the spices i'm not making another dish to wash

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
0.5 + (1 x cup of rice ) cups of water
Some onion
Some garlic
Some evoo
Some rice

sautée onions in 1-2tbs of olive oil until almost translucent on med high
Add garlic, sautée 30s-1m until raw edge is gone
Add rice, sautée until fragrant and mildly nutty smelling (1-2m), add salt
Add water, bring to boil over med high
Once at a boil, reduce to low, cover let cook 15-17m depending on burner

remove from heat, cover with paper towels, and put lid back on. Let steam with the lid and paper towels 10m
Remove lid, fluff with fork, enjoy amazing perfect rice

This is close to how I do it with butter, gonna try the onions and garlic next time.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I normally nail rice but I made rice tonight and just undercooked it :( Did it pot in the stove cause I was using my instant pot

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Cooking rice on the stove in a pot is easy

Cooking rice on the stove in a pot without boiling that shit over the edges and getting ricewater residue everywhere is the stuff of masters

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
In my 34 years of living, 24 or so if it cooking rice, I've had access to a rice cooker for 2 of those years

Pot on stove is what I know