• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use default or inverted look controls

Votes: 497 47.0%
  • Inverted

Votes: 539 51.0%
  • Inverted....and I'm also a pilot with passengers lives in my hand.

Votes: 21 2.0%

• Total voters

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, and I wish I was at home to test it out.

Is Borderlands default inverted? I do remember one game where I changed it to inverted, I think.

Damn I wanna know what side I'm on in this debate!!!!!

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I bet folks playing normal are moving the crosshairs, whereas folks playing inverted are moving the gun.

Think about it. 🤔

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I've said this before, but I really miss the 360 and its system-level Invert Y preference you could set.

Every game I play nowadays I need to go through the settings first to find the Invert Y option. Games that just start you off with gameplay before allowing you to go to a Settings menu are the worst.

It was much better to just smoothly have every game know I was an Invert King.

To quote myself from another thread:

Other than standardizing paddles, i'm less interested in hardware evolution [of controllers] and more interested in a focus on abstracting inputs at the software level. Developers should be coding to abstract actions, not locking things down to specific button presses. Sure, a default is needed, but the users should always have the option to tweak as desired. Steam Input/SCAPI should be the gold standard for this, and I really hope that Microsoft and Sony enforce this type of thing at a system level on their next gen consoles. Something that even SCAP doesn't have now that would be great if there were some generic system level actions like "jump", "reload", "zoom", "fire" etc that users could set once according to their preference and have an expectation that any game would honor those.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
For analogs this is how the look stick is for me. FPS or TPS.

s8aXxfr.jpg
Unless you also invert X, this explanation never works.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I can play fine with default and double inverted, I have a hard time playing with only Y-axis inverted though.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Playing FPS on a console is already a flawed system, so I don't know why you would think inverted makes it any worse. ;) Anyways, during the days of the original Xbox my controls for Halo got inverted and I never bothered with changing them back so every Halo after that I just ran with inverted controls.

There is nothing flawed, everyone has the same control. It's just different.

MrMattamus

Oct 27, 2017
Inverted. I don't know when it started, I just remember playing GoldenEye as a pre teen and it not feeling right. Once I switched to inverted, everything clicked.

On KB+M though, I play FPS normally.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always play with inverted for FPS. It started for me with playing flight arcade games in the early '80s and playing FPS always felt natural that way. I can deal with "regular" for rail shooters if I have to as many early console ones were set that way.

I'm surprised inverted is winning given how young this board is.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Older gamers trend toward inverted as it used to be the standard. I still use inverted Y-axis for every game I play and don't see any advantage to conditioning myself to play standard at this time.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Inverted since...oh geez, probably Quake 1 on PC, which was the first FPS I can remember that actually required you to aim up and down. I was about 18 at the time I played it.

I can't remember the last time I tried non-inverted, but it felt just as wrong to me as it always has. I don't say "default" because it's not always the default; thank you, Xbox 360, for remembering my inverted preference and applying it to all games automatically.

My daughter is 11 months old so she won't be playing FPS games for a while, but I'm not going to force any specific settings on her. She can do whatever she feels like.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I think the first FPS I ever played with dual analog sticks was Medal of Honor for PS1, and I'm pretty sure Y axis was inverted by default, so I think that just stuck with me.

Then I played a lot of Time Splitters, and I think that was inverted by default as well, so I just assumed it was normal.

The first time I played non-inverted was Halo. I didn't know you could switch to inverted, so all my friends kicked my ass until I figured out you could change it.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Inverted always! Since I was a kid.

Think of your head as an analog stick, put your hand on top; when you pull your head with your hand you look up and when you push your head with your hand you look down.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
All of this type of stuff just needs to be done at the system OS level with SCAPI-like functionality that's a requirement for certification by the platform holders. If Microsoft is serious about their accessibility push they should be on all devs about this.

1) remember when you could toggle look inversion as a default preference on X360? genius stuff. I will forever assume that change on XB1 was somehow Mattrick's fault.

2) some of E3's demos are running in a specifically incomplete, PC-first state, and they rarely get all the way to a shipping game. I can forgive most "WiP" issues, but I get a damned headache when I can't enable flightstick orientation for right-stick aiming.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you also invert X, this explanation never works.
It's a bad concept that just causes confusion. Should be more like this.

fixd5kpi.jpg

Your view is like a camera mounted on tripod. Pushing down tilts down, pulling back tilts back. Pushing to the left turns the view left, and pushing right turns the view right.

I bet folks playing normal are moving the crosshairs, whereas folks playing inverted are moving the gun.

Think about it. 🤔
This is a good way of thinking about it too. Inverters are thinking about 3D movement, whereas non-inverters seem to be thinking of it as moving sights around the screen.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Non inverted people are always so aggressive with this shit. It's annoying.
Yeah and they always think it's hilarious for some reason when it just makes them look like dumb kids who don't understand how 3D space actually works. Inverts don't see the game as a flat TV surface but as an actual environment with depth. Likely why inverts also take to real world skills quicker as well such as drone operation and VR simulation.

Default sticks are the flat earthers of gaming. "Huh huh hey guys! Up is up am I right? High five! What disgusting scum people who invert Y are har har!"

Eye effin' roll.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a pilot, and you best believe that I have Y-axis inverted, like God intended. X-axis is normal since I am not a heathen.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bad concept that just causes confusion. Should be more like this.

fixd5kpi.jpg

Your view is like a camera mounted on tripod. Pushing down tilts down, pulling back tilts back. Pushing to the left turns the view left, and pushing right turns the view right.

This is a good way of thinking about it too. Inverters are thinking about 3D movement, whereas non-inverters seem to be thinking of it as moving sights around the screen.
This still doesn't make sense. If you put the stick on top of the character's head when you push the stick left or right their head would tilt not turn.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Inverted-Y. I really don't remember what early PC DOS game made me change. It might have been a Descent or MechWarrior game. Once I changed, it made total sense and never went back.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
This still doesn't make sense. If you put the stick on top of the character's head when you push the stick left or right their head would tilt not turn.
Again, think of a camera on a tripod. There is no tilting. That direction of movement is normally locked off, there's no use for it under most circumstances. So pushing to the side causes the view to turn instead of tilt. Don't get hung up on trying to map the sticks movement directly to what the in-game camera is doing.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
At least I guess we can rest easy in the knowledge that most of these old-ass inverted users are probably close to getting arthritis and back pain and removing themselves from the game.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Inverted since i started as PC gamer and played a lot with joysticks back then. Consoles and m/kb inverted is going to stay for life.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again, think of a camera on a tripod. There is no tilting. That direction of movement is normally locked off, there's no use for it under most circumstances. So pushing to the side causes the view to turn instead of tilt. Don't get hung up on trying to map the sticks movement directly to what the in-game camera is doing.
It's too hard for some people it seems. Their way or the highway.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Default is a bad term for it. Some games default you with inverted. Default makes it sound like you don't care, you just play it however it's set up instead of changing it immediately.

I think logical controls are a better name for it.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
invert-y fo life

we're here, we're inverted, get used to it

respect to my invert-x brethren, I got ya back here

please don't try to explain us, and dismiss us, but instead learn to respect

PEACE!

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Signed onto my friend's account the other day, he was out of town and wanted me to get him a gun in Destiny.

Dude had his controls all jacked up.
Down was up, up was down, I couldn't function properly in game and fixed it.

So to those who follow the path of the inverted I have some questions.

1)At what age did this start?
2)When was the last time you tried default
3)If you have children do you let them decide on their own or do you also corrupt them with this (imo) flawed system.

Was inverted once the default? I think ... I remember it being the default in COD4 and I would have to change it.
At least on consoles inverted was definitely the default for an entire generation and it was way way earlier than freaking CoD4:

Super Mario 64
LoZ OoT
LoZ MM
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Gemini
Turok
and many many more N64 games all had "inverted" as not only the default but in many cases as the ONLY option. Wanted to play Ocarina of Time without inverted controls? Tough shit, you can't because this is the way it was always intended!

The N64 and flight simulator games are the reason why I control my camera inverted (Y axis) since the mid 90s. I blame Halo 1 for reshaping aiming inversion on consoles back to non-inverted by making the latter the default.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Inverted - not that I think it's "better", it's just what my brain is trained on for first person views and camera sticks since I grew up with flight simulators and other PC joystick games in the 90s.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Only use inverted for flying. Got used to that I think during ps2 days with ratchet and clank especially.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
My girlfriend is someone who plays inverted. First time we sat on the couch decided to play Overwatch and to swap whop's playing upon each other's death, that's when I found out, it's literally unplayable, which is weird because anything involving flying I do play inverted,.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to make a lot of people sick to there stomachs. I play inverted x and y axis.
Then you must have a miserable time trying to play videogames since so so many dont even give an option to invert the X-axis, and those that do are still fairly recent. You must've not been around during the PS2 or earlier gens then or if you were you mustv'e had a miserable time.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My god I always knew this forum was FUBAR.

Half of you play with inverted wtf? No wonder you guys hate FPSs.

Or we were around and gaming when camera controls and 3D gameplay began and we used the default... star fox on SNES was one of the first games I think I experienced this, followed through the N64 years / generation
I don't think it was until Halo on the original Xbox 2001 MS started introducing up is up & down is down as the default...
So anyone born around 1997 onwards (22 or younger) or started gaming 2001 onwards Probably grew up thinking inverted was strange