• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm still convinced the MS and Nintendo bromance has more to do with google and amazon than Sony anymore. I think sony should honestly start to up their PSNow service and really expand more into PC and put their 1P up on it day and date to compete with google/amazon. I think MS/Nintendo are looking forward to the future. Hell, I could be wrong.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Unless Sony also becomes platform agnostic, they're fucked. I know that's thought will upset some of you but it's true. Companies die all the time by not adapting, or adapting too slowly. In the back of your heads I think you know it's true, too.

I disagree with you in the absolute strongest terms.

You do realize that neither Nintendo or Sony has ever been "platform agnostic", right? And that between them they've been at the top of every single console generation they've been in?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think they'll concede on cross-play. Otherwise they'll just keep doing their thing by bolstering PS Plus, back-compat, exclusives, and hopefully PS Now to compete with Game Pass.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Sony also becomes platform agnostic, they're fucked. I know that's thought will upset some of you but it's true. Companies die all the time by not adapting, or adapting too slowly. In the back of your heads I think you know it's true, too.
If streaming triumphs who would die will be Nvidia, AMD, Intel and all the gaming hardware vendors. Smart TVs will be enough.

Apr 16, 2018
You guys are so delusional.

You're acting like the Switch getting gamepass means that some wealth of games will be uncovered and the platform will prosper.

But game pass doesn't have any games that are better than Sony's offerings. Xbox doesn't have any games that are better than Sony's offerings. Offering game pass across as many platforms as possible won't change the fact Xbox simply doesn't have the weight to toss around in the arena with Sony.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah it's not the 'truth'. It's just your wishful thinking.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Not sure about other regions, but in Europe and Japan at least it's not going to take much more than a good price-performance, sleek-looking box that works properly and has superb third party support.

Oct 25, 2017

You're acting like the Switch getting gamepass means that some wealth of games will be uncovered and the platform will prosper.

But game pass doesn't have any games that are better than Sony's offerings. Xbox doesn't have any games that are better than Sony's offerings. Offering game pass across as many platforms as possible won't change the fact Xbox simply doesn't have the weight to toss around in the arena with Sony.

Forza Horizon (as an example) is better than most of the stuff Sony put out last year barring Spider-Man, so I'ma have to disagree on that one.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017

Dude, people can now play Crackdown 3 in a Switch(ok, at 250 ms response time, I give you that)!. Can you do it on your PS4?. Sony is fucked.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I dont think it would have a huge impact unless Nintendo starts putting stuff on gamepass. You would then have a situation where Xbox and Switch share some titles and Sony is without. But I would think in that scenario, Sony would just add gamepass themselves.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Till Microsoft starts making good games I could care less. Focus on that then they can get in bed with Nintendo. Until then Sony has nada to worry about.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The responses on this forum would have you think that Sonya is about to bail out of the videogame industry. Absolutely ridiculous and embarassing.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you honestly think people are frothing at the mouth for this service to play Forza?

I rest my fucking case lmao

Forza is, you know, popular.

I know the people here don't get sports or racing games, but you are posting at a site that is a niche of a niche, bruh.

A niche of a niche that rates Sony's first-party very highly compared to other games that doesn't reflect real life. Speaking of real life...

... what the fuck.

Is this real life?

Yes. You just have to join us there instead of thinking that this website (or the internet at large) and its general views on games represents real life.

My point is this: Sony's first-party games are often very good, occasionally excellent, but not so great that no Microsoft offering can stand up to them. And shit, I have a PS4 but no XBO, so it's not like I'm trying to justify a purchase here. I am just amused at how out-of-step some of y'all are with the popular view of some of these games.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

This is incredible because it wraps up 2012's "Sony is finished" and "Consoles are dying" narratives into one neat package.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Hopefully by diversifying. I hate watching anything Sony related and seeing nothing but big budget over the shoulder cinematic games. Statements from Shawn Layden and the like make me worry they have completely ignored anything else.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I was not referring to all sexual content, only the creepy anime shit we keep seeing.
Your opinion is that it is creepy. Dope. Maybe it is.

My opinion is that if it is not illegal, I would very much like Sony to stay the fuck out of it. That goes for all content, whether violent, sexual, or just disturbing. The only barrier to entry should be whether or not a game performs reasonably well, and doesn't crash. Everything else is overreach IMO. Leave it up to the consumer whether that's the kind of content they would like to consume, and to government whether or not it should be legal.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is what #4ThePlayers was about all along. You let someone into your house for a friendly game of cross-play, and before you know it you're holding hands and streaming together!
Lol.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The only chance they have for survival is finally making Ape Escape 4.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Sony can probably survive by just doing what it's doing for the PS5. The industry will probably look a lot different by the end of the PS5, though. Sony will be forced to adapt eventually. Once Google, Microsoft, and maybe Amazon, Apple, and Verizon have their own streaming services with an actually good library for a reasonable price, PSNow will look silly by comparison.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A niche of a niche that rates Sony's first-party very highly compared to other games that doesn't reflect real life.

Didn't God of War just win overall GOTY against Red Dead Redemption 2?

Didn't Sony's games mostly dominate at the Game Awards last year?

Didn't Spider-Man become the biggest Playstation exclusive ever and adored by millions?

Even a Tetris and a VR game scored higher than most of Xbox's exclusives in 2018.

But apparently Sony's first party just isn't rated that highly in real life?

It's practically the reason they're going into next gen so healthy.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the cloud servers would buy them. You will tell me if Nvidia would develop a RTX 4080 then. From the client side a z80 is enough. Well, not exactly...
The games run on the servers.
Instead of selling the hardware to you, these companies will just sell hardware to the companies running these servers.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
This thread is amazing. People going insane like PlayStation will not be a thing in like a year.

ikr.

Short term memory. Sony is doing extremely well and don't need to follow what other companies are doing. Sony is on top, and MS is last(gaming division). They're trying something different because their exclusives ain't cutting it by themselves. This is not the case for Sony.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Once Google, Microsoft, and maybe Amazon, Apple, and Verizon have their own streaming services with an actually good library for a reasonable price, PSNow will look silly by comparison.

I think it's silly to expect PSNow will simply remain as it is in the face of all that speculative change. The hurdles between Sony and a good - excellent - streaming catalog are a lot lower than for many of the companies you mention. If one can speculate that the pieces will all fall nicely into place for those companies, it's not difficult to speculate that Sony will whip PSNow into shape.

BlankCanvas23

Jan 24, 2018
I think people are reading too much into this whole story. Microsoft essentially opened up their platform so companies like Nintendo could interface with it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one has ever said that gamepass or any service currently on XBox would be offered on Nintendo's platforms. I think for the most part, you'll possibly see some integration of XBOX Live and Nintendo in terms of shared gamertags and gamerscore and achievements. Microsoft isn't going to give away their business to Nintendo and other 3rd parties unless they truly plan on getting out of the hardware business, a la Sega.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think it's silly to expect PSNow will simply remain as it is in the face of all that speculative change. The hurdles between Sony and a good - excellent - streaming catalog are a lot lower than for many of the companies you mention.
Definitely. Sony has a huge backlog of quality PS4 titles that have probably flatlined in sales at this point. Why not put that backlog on PSNow? It can only help Sony.

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Forza is, you know, popular.

I know the people here don't get sports or racing games, but you are posting at a site that is a niche of a niche, bruh.

A niche of a niche that rates Sony's first-party very highly compared to other games that doesn't reflect real life. Speaking of real life...

Yes. You just have to join us there instead of thinking that this website (or the internet at large) and its general views on games represents real life.

My point is this: Sony's first-party games are often very good, occasionally excellent, but not so great that no Microsoft offering can stand up to them. And shit, I have a PS4 but no XBO, so it's not like I'm trying to justify a purchase here. I am just amused at how out-of-step some of y'all are with the popular view of some of these games.
You do realize that both Spider-man and God of War sold more copies than Forza Horizon 4, right? Even in the US, where Xbox actually has a presence.

I wouldn't usually use an argument from popularity, but you seem to be doing that yourself, so...

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to be king. I hope it keeps them on their toes.

The industry got to where we are now because of healthy competition. Almost every platform holder is healthy and that's a very, very good thing. I hope it continues and other companies enter the market.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't God of War just win overall GOTY against Red Dead Redemption 2?

Didn't Sony's games mostly dominate at the Game Awards last year?

Didn't Spider-Man become the biggest Playstation exclusive ever and adored by millions?

Even a Tetris and a VR game scored higher than most of Xbox's exclusives in 2018.

But apparently Sony's first party just isn't rated that highly in real life?

It's practically the reason they're going into next gen so healthy.

Why are you listing a bunch of critical awards and conflating that with what is generally popular? Your argument is unconvicing here because your argument is "Sony impressed critics, so therefore their games are going to be generally more popular than Xbox games that don't have the same critical fanfare."

We know that this isn't true! There are numerous games - on mobile, in EA and 2K's sim sports catalogues, etc. - that don't get critical love from that niche of insiders, but that are well-beloved in a popular sense.

So if you can make this argument without having to point to a small niche of a wide audience, I'm glad to change my mind. This thinking is basically the sort of thinking that I also get trapped in sometimes, which is "the critics/the hardcores really love this or hate this, so that must be the wider assessment of the game." But nah, a simple view of the facts kills this argument.

Getting FH4 on Switch would mean as much as getting - I don't know, pick a 90+ Sony first-party exclusive. So would getting Halo, probably.

EDIT: The one part of your argument that holds up for me is the sales numbers for Spider-Man. That's a better argument, I think, but Microsoft has IPs that have sold extremely well also. I'm not here to say that Sony's first-party isn't actually good. Lots of it is! I'm here to say that the idea that Microsoft doesn't have any IP that would be wanted at around the same level as Sony IP is just untrue.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely. Sony has a huge backlog of quality PS4 titles that have probably flatlined in sales at this point. Why not put that backlog on PSNow? It can only help Sony.

I think they will by the time PS5 launches. Their PS4 catalog will be a big asset, especially in the early years of the next cycle, when PS4/XB1-gen content will still be the bulk of content on the streaming services. The key after that is how they apply PS5 content to streaming. They have many cards to play... I don't expect the PSNow of 2020/2021 will look like the PSNow of today.