• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR is working for Sony until now. It should be try to expand the market with PSVR 2.
Maybe make some AAA titles that work for people with or without VR like Resident Evil 7.
Or try something like Oculus Quest where there isn't need of PS5 to work and it can be a substitute of the Vita.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your last sentence lmao. So that soon to be 100M+ install base will just vanish over night?
tlI5aqy.jpg

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Sony had a good run.

I think just good third party support and awesome exclusives you can't get anywhere else will be a winning formula. Also maybe an enticing PSVR2 library. They may improve their services too. And if that patent for ps1-ps3 BC is real and not magic, that'll be a great selling point.

But yeah Sony will be sitting at home in sweatpants looking longingly out the window as Microsoft and Nintendo ride bikes and do graffiti together. :(

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would Sony care to respond publicly or immediately?

Same reason why we're getting lots of interest/discussion about it here already- because it is (would) be a pretty big thing.

Though obviously ignoring it is absolutely an option as well and well Sony could continue doing so as they have been for the last several months. Would fly in the face of that comment that I referred to though from Laydon I think it was.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
You don't make any sense. Spider-man, God of War and the upcoming Last of Us 2 will have potentially sold millions of copies at $60 - and they deserve to die to the quality of the titles.
Do the math first before saying he doesn't make sense.
10 million x $60 = $600M
60 million x $15 x 2 months = $1800M

There's a reason Netflix can give you not one series that would cost you $30 in the stores, but a thousand series at $12 per month. There's a reason MS is pushing hard for this, and Google and Amazon are eyeing entrance into this red sea market filled with sharks.

Playstation plus makes Sony the same amount of money as God of War each quarter, even if it only costs $15 over those three months, purely on the basis of quantity of subscriptions.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It´s not going to hurt Sonys reputation if a few creeps can´t play their anime fiddlers anymore. Quite the opposite actually.
True, if all versions were the same, but they ain't and that small audience would just move to another ecosystem to buy their non- censored games at. As for gain reputation, I don't see it happening as all the games affected are super niche to the point where I doubt casuals even know about them. Only ones caring about them are otakus, and gaming fanatics. Overall ist is a loss of sells that they are giving away to the competition.

Oct 25, 2017
If anything this gives people less of a reason to purchase Microsoft hardware which would benefit Sony, no? I always saw Sony and Microsoft as competitors with Nintendo doing their own thing complementing those two rather than competing with them.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS are already well ahead of the game with Game Pass, and they plan to let others makes use of their XDK to make use of their XBL features like voice chat, crossplay communication, friend lobbies, their server farm, azure cloud service, etc. They also have xCloud around the corner as well for game streaming. Their goal is to get XBL on everything. They are becoming more and more platform agnostic because software and services are the winners in this era because they'll reach far more people across platforms.

Nintendo and MS seem to have a great relationship going on since the announcement of crossplatform with Minecraft (which uses their XBL stuff and features already) and going by what rumors we have so far, they seem all-aboard with having more of that. And this also allows for Nintendo to cover their own weaknesses here by having a partner with cloud services and the ability to get games the system normally cannot get due to limitations.

The industry is evolving and we have no idea where all it's going to take us.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
They don't really tackle it. The business has goals and they attempt to meet/surpass those goals as always. Strategically they have some things to consider. Do they want PS Now to continue to be an afterthought? Will they do proper improved BC on PS5? Do they think the games they are making now will still be popular in 5/10 or will they go on a different direction. On cross play they need to make a decision once and for all.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Same reason why we're getting lots of interest/discussion about it here already- because it is (would) be a pretty big thing.

Though obviously ignoring it is absolutely an option as well and well Sony could continue doing so as they have been for the last several months. Would fly in the face of that comment that I referred to though from Lauren I think it was.
What benefit would there be to talking about it and what would they even say that'd mean anything? It has literally nothing to do with them and all they'd actually say is something like "we'll continue doing what we are doing, blah, blah we think PlayStation is the best"

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything this gives people less of a reason to purchase Microsoft hardware which would benefit Sony, no? I always saw Sony and Microsoft as competitors with Nintendo doing their own thing complementing those two rather than competing with them.
I foresee MS leaving hardware at some point to be honest. Again, their goal is becoming less hardware dependent and overall agnostic as they move more towards services.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
To create subscriptions? What kind of question is this lol

It's a question because it's a monstrous risk. Sony's first party currently rakes in a LOT of money for them. They'd have to gamble that they could make either as much or more money by putting their titles on PS Now day 1. We don't have any numbers on how many people currently sub to PS Now, but it's probably somewhere in the several million range I think. They'll have to get those numbers up MASSIVELY and consistently to justify putting a 100+ million dollar title on there. Below I'll outline some of the reasons I think Sony is just in a holding pattern now with PS Now, it's a bit of a long read but I think it's a solid overall theory.

Yes it is a chicken and the egg scenario where they won't put 1st party games there day 1 unless there's enough people to justify it, and those people won't subscribe to the service unless the 1st party titles are there to justify being part of the service. But I think that's not the only fact Sony is considering. Right now PS Now is only in 12 countries with 7 in beta, so it's got a LONG way to go to expand. The most reasonable theory on why the expansion globally is so slow right now is because they're waiting on PS5 hardware to install in PS Now servers because more than likely PS5 hardware will be fully backwards compatible with the entire PS console family. As it is right now, they have to install both PS3 and PS4 hardware in all server locations and that's needlessly costly and inefficient. If PS5 hardware can handle everything then it makes sense to wait for that to be available before conducting a large scale global rollout. In the meantime they can use what they learn on PS Now in its current state to improve it down the road and maybe make a bit of money on the subscription service.

The other factor with PS Now is the devices it's on. Originally it was supposed to be on PS consoles, TVs, phones and tablets. That vision got scaled back to just PS4 and PC in its current state. With 5G now rolling out to mobile phones users will be able to experience high speed, low latency gaming on the go - this is what I think they've been waiting for to get the service onto mobiles. Microsoft has also been touting the importance of 5G for xCloud, it really is a key factor in making this whole experience work on the go. So now with the potential to introduce PS Now to Apple and Android phones (Sony's TVs too since they run Android) that takes the initial pool of PS4 and PC gamers increases it significantly.

So now take those 2 factors and think about it for a moment. Right now, at this moment, it makes no sense whatsoever for Sony to put 1st party titles day 1 on PS Now because they can only reach a limited amount of potential gamers in about 19 countries on only PS4 and PC. Now fast forward maybe a couple of years, PS Now is available in a lot more countries and on PS4, PS5, PC, Android, iPhone and TVs (maybe other stuff too like bluray players and other devices). THIS is the time when Sony would potentially want to plop their first party onto the service when they have a far, FAR larger potential audience that can access the service.

So yeah, that's my guess on why things are the way they are now and where they might go in the coming years.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
keep doing what they are doing and release more awesome game of the year contenders. you dont forget the publisher who keeps on releasing the most impactful games.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
People should be really worried about the erosion of competition, not cheering it.

Honestly it would only be a matter of time before Sony joined in and we ended up with a MS/Nintendo/Sony gaming conglomerate that steamrolls gamers and doesn't give a shit what any of us care or need. Game sharing? Dead. Discs? Dead. $60 games? Dead.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont know. Seems every platforms are slowly forming a circle around Sony.

With the rising trend of esports, gaas, battle royale, digital download, Sony's stronghold of single player epic cinematic offline games are getting irrelevant among the new gen players. More and more 3rd party are moving away from such single player experiences, leaving the fans of these experiences to look to Sony for them. But i dont see that sustainable in the long run

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. You're acting as if Zelda and Mario are coming to Xbox
2. Sony just keep on being Sony. Games are king and Sony always have tonnes of games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They already have PS4 games downloadable on psNow. When PS5 comes round they'll have downloadable os5 games on panos. That's enough of a catalog to arguably hit need ps1/2/3 (but it would be nice)

Psone monthly price is expensive but yearly is ok. They need to either reduce the monthly or perhaps bring in a lower price 'download only' tier at gamepass pricing - currently gamepass is cheaper but they don't stream. MS may need to increase the price for streaming as you're needing constant access both to bandwidth and compute power which you don't currently, so MS costs will go up a ton

I think psone is pretty competitive already and with a few tweaks even more so. I have honestly no idea why it constantly gets ignored and game pass fawned over as the future of gaming when the only real difference is MS out their games on day 1. Functionally they're very similar and game pass doesn't even have streaming yet and psone does (yet apparently xCloud is also the future)

Sorry for the rant, just don't get it

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

With the rising trend of esports, gaas, battle royale, digital download, Sony's stronghold of single player epic cinematic offline games are getting irrelevant among the new gen players. More and more 3rd party are moving away from such single player experiences, leaving the fans of these experiences to look to Sony for them. But i dont see that sustainable in the long run
It seems far more sustainable than everyone doing games that exist solely to keep you playing it and nothing else forever. Sony have already pretty much said they plan on doing more multiplayer stuff though, as well as what they are currently doing.

score01

Oct 27, 2017

If this is true, then it is a sad indictment of gaming. Single player experiences are my jam. Don't care about multiplayer/online at all. I can't be the only one.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Too stubborn to allow BC? You're talking about the Sony who had BC on the PS2 and PS3, right? That's the Sony that would not allow it, despite offering a streaming service that also allows downloads currently of PS2 and PS4 titles? lol

I know we won't know until they announce it but I think it's pretty much a lock that we'll get BC on the PS5. The ONLY question is whether there will be PS3 BC, and I'm willing to bet it'll be there too. It's been discussed enough in other threads but it makes sense for them to build PS3 BC into the PS5 if ONLY so they can use PS5 hardware for PS Now servers. That move alone would save them a fuckton of money.

Yeah, it's the same Sony who removed PS2 BC from PS3 mid gen. The same Sony that has completely ignored their rich back catalog of games even though there are fully functional PS2 and PSP emulators available on PS4. They didn't even care to try and make a PSone emulator, they just trotted out a wannabe classic system to overwhelmingly underwhelming response. Their brass has been very outspoken that they are against the idea of offering older games. I will admit Mark Cerny seems interested via the leaks of his copyright filings; but he did the same for PS4, and it goes nowhere. I really get the sense his BC aspirations have no traction in house. Right now, Microsoft is singlehandedly keeping console games preserved and pouring out absolutely incredible efforts of allowing consumers to stay connected to their games. With their goodwill and altruism towards the gaming community, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft was more interested in far out ways of achieving PS BC than sony themselves.

Your last sentence lmao. So that soon to be 100M+ install base will just vanish over night?

No, it won't be overnight, but the demand for sony to somewhat re-earn its userbase with the shift in generations and hardware, and the rumored prospect of launching against the combined resources and creative forces of Microsoft and Nintendo would have me shaking in my boots if I was sony. I mean---look, I know it's not completely official; but what's the general consensus and momentum going to be like if E3 has a historic alliance of Microsoft and Nintendo, and sony doesn't even show?

I'm not saying any of this is inevitable, perhaps nothing has been set in stone behind the curtain; but stranger things have happened.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I reckon they'll do BC with PS4 but worry they'll see anything older as a waste of time ("Who wants to play old games" etc)

No one from Sony has ever said, "Who wants to play old games". Jim Ryans incorrectly referenced quote is:

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Very big difference, he was comparing the visuals of specific PS1 and PS2 titles to the PS3 and PS4 variants. I think we'll be find when it comes to BC on the PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

And yet Sony set 2 sales records for those very same type of titles just last year. GoW became the fastest selling PS exclusive ever and Spider-Man beat it just a few months later.

I think there's more than enough games to go around to cater to all types of different people. There's obviously a large chunk of people who do like what Sony's offering currently.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Team up with Android and Apple to become mobile exclusive. It's the only way I'm afraid.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing? If those rumors are true it sounds like Sony and MS are heading in different directions. Sony continues to be focused on making games that make people want to buy their hardware, while MS seems to want to be able to put Game Pass on everything so that their games are available on it. The move wouldn't really be a threat to what Sony's goal continues to be.

Feb 15, 2019
I really don't see why they should be too worried. Everyone always says that it's primarily ms vs sony with nintendo doing its own thing, so nintendo doing better as a result won't really change that unless suddenly the narrative has changed. I feel like MS will obviously get more numbers and more MAU, but the xbox console as a whole will suffer because less people will be willing to buy an xbox with microsoft seemingly happy to just become more of a third party pub that also happens to have a console.

Not to mention so far, while the relationship between ms and nintendo obviously seems good, it's only nintendo that got stuff for the most part. They're getting live, they got the minecraft stuff, they get everything while they need to give back nothing except some good reports about numbers. Unless we suddenly see a big nintendo game on xbox I really wouldn't look too much into it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
by impactful, i mean that i will always remember these games because i went through an experience playing them.
i will always remember my experience playing god of war, or uncharted, or the last of us.
i will soon forget my experience playing crackdown, and i pretty much forgot my experience with most ubisoft games.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wasn't there some statistics posted a couple weeks ago where Sony was making more than Nintendo and MS combined?

I think they just need to keep doing what they're doing

Edit : and by MS, I mean the Xbox division

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
If this is true, then it is a sad indictment of gaming. Single player experiences are my jam. Don't care about multiplayer/online at all. I can't be the only one.
The sales of games like God of War, Spider-Man and previously Horizon, The Last of Us (if we ignore the very good Factions MP side of it), etc. says we're not the only ones with those preferences.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one from Sony has ever said, "Who wants to play old games". Jim Ryans incorrectly referenced quote is:

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Very big difference, he was comparing the visuals of specific PS1 and PS2 titles to the PS3 and PS4 variants. I think we'll be find when it comes to BC on the PS5.
This is the whole quote. The whole context where he says they've dabbled in it and though it's "much requested, but not actually used much". He just gave you a very clear reason. A financial reason. And he further goes on to use Gran Turismo as an example of "why would anybody play this?" to explain that no one is buying these games even though it's so highly requested.

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
How do people even foresee Game Pass on Switch working?

Unless it's Game Pass + XCloud, I don't see how it'd work.

Switch wouldn't be powerful enough to run the games, and the games would need to be updated in some way with Switch code.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I think Sony should keep on doing what they're doing.
Not everything have to be streamed service games.

I kind of like that they "attack" different niches.. There is room for all.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
How do people even foresee Game Pass on Switch working?

Unless it's Game Pass + XCloud, I don't see how it'd work.

Switch wouldn't be powerful enough to run the games, and the games would need to be updated in some way with Switch code.
if the rumor is true, we are talking about gamepass via streaming + ports of smaller games like Ori.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sony had a good run.

I think just good third party support and awesome exclusives you can't get anywhere else will be a winning formula. Also maybe an enticing PSVR2 library. They may improve their services too. And if that patent for ps1-ps3 BC is real and not magic, that'll be a great selling point.

But yeah Sony will be sitting at home in sweatpants looking longingly out the window as Microsoft and Nintendo ride bikes and do graffiti together. :(

Ps now already works on PC, MAC and android (although stupidly limited to Xperia). They could (and should) expand that to all android and iOS as soon as possible