• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Genuinely curious because I just downloaded it and I've seen people talk about subject specific ones here and there. Like is there an unspoken rule that if you're liked enough someone PMs you the deets? Or do you need to know the right people to ask? I mean it also feels like most of the time if a discord is implied half the discussions between members is off site and it kinda ruins the feeling of a community.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If a specific community has a Discord, it'll usually be linked or mentioned in their OT's OP. Just ask.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Check the OT for each individual game. Some of them will require you to post in the thread before you can see the link in the OP.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
To minimize trolls and such the link is often not public. You can also try searching 'discord' and limit the search to the community thread in question which might give you some tips.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
some communities hide the link in the op, so at minimum you would have to post in an OT to get access to the link

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
someone give me the politics discord hook-up

OP
OP
Rand a. Thor

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Huh, never realzied that a LOT of the OTs have discord links in them, I mean if its a topic I'm interested in I usually just jump in the convo cause the general rules apply to most communties and unlike games there usually isn't any info I don't already lnow about the topic to read em.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been wondering about how this works, too. lol
Genuinely curious because I just downloaded it and I've seen people talk about subject specific ones here and there. Like is there an unspoken rule that if you're liked enough someone PMs you the deets? Or do you need to know the right people to ask? I mean it also feels like most of the time if a discord is implied half the discussions between members is off site and it kinda ruins the feeling of a community.

You just go to the relevant OT, read the OT, and follow the instructions. Pretty much all active communities have their own discord now.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only rule: You can get a Discord invite only if you promise that if you film hours of conversation and post it to Neogaf or Voat, you at least film it in 4K.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how Discord even works.
At a basic level it's just like having a group in whatsapp or messenger. You have channels for different topics like a forum. You add different servers (like say, Destiny discord, Creative Writing Discord, Non-binary discord, etc...) and can freely jump between them.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Sometimes there's links in the OP. Other times there's people you can PM listed in the OP. Other times, they're secret, private, or invite-only.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you ask for the link and others will be in the OP but hidden so need to quote it. It's not some popular club or something lmao, just ask or look for the links.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
If people like you they'll invite you. Ask the Hangouts threads if there's a discord. Start a discord yourself and invite people you like. Life is easy.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
The only two Era discords I joined are the Minecraft and Digimon ones. The links are in the OPs of the community threads (requires you post in the thread to see it). Both discords are more active than their respective community threads.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have no idea how Discord even works.

Think AIM, yahoo messenger, etc

Except now with more modern features and stuff

I grew out of it, prefer posting on forum/thread like sites where at the least is easier to catch up/follow a conversation.

At least in my experience discord chats have been a mess with mixture of all sorts of discussions all in one chat.

I have an account and have a few channels but I am barely active as is since I prefer spending my time on other stuff lol

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
At a basic level it's just like having a group in whatsapp or messenger. You have channels for different topics like a forum. You add different servers (like say, Destiny discord, Creative Writing Discord, Non-binary discord, etc...) and can freely jump between them.
Think AIM, yahoo messenger, etc

Except now with more modern features and stuff

I grew out of it, prefer posting on forum/thread like sites where at the least is easier to catch up/follow a conversation.

At least in my experience discord chats have been a mess with mixture of all sorts of discussions all in one chat.

I have an account and have a few channels but I am barely active as is since I prefer spending my time on other stuff lol
Ah, I see.