• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
The more and more I thought about Midsommar the more I believed I love it more than Ari Aster's previous and equally disturbing Hereditary. I enjoyed Hereditary as a horror movie more than I did Midsommar when I had initially saw it, but I think Midsommar has a lot more going in with it's messages about (unhealthy) relationships.

To summarize, Midsommar follows Dani, a young woman traumatized after the her younger sister commits a murder-suicide against their parents, and her neglectful boyfriend Christian and his circle of friends. Christian has been wanting to break up with Dani for a long time now, but Dani's sister's murder-suicide compels him to stay with her out of guilt. He invites her to come with him and his friends on a trip to a swedish midsummer festival (him going was against her wishes) and when they arrive they are drugged and, not very shockingly, the festival turns out to be a cult trap.

Now, the part I want to discuss is the movie's ending. Over the course of the film, the small circle of friends get picked off by the cult one by one in classic horror movie fashion as Dani and Christian grow more and more distant in their relationship. Dani soon embraces the lifestyle of the cult while Christian gets repeatedly drugged and coerced into impregnating one of the cult members. Dani, having witnessed this, orders Christian to be burned alive and sacrificed to the cult's deity as an act of revenge and ultimately her way of breaking up.

When I initially saw this in theatres, I saw this as a strangely happy ending because Dani finally cut ties with her emotionally distant boyfriend. However, the more I thought about it, I actually felt incredibly guilty for feeling this way, and now I feel that Dani is intended to be the antagonist in this story. While it may feel right to cheer for Dani for finally removing possible the most negative aspect of her life, her emotionally distant and neglectful boyfriend, there's a couple things to keep in mind; for one, Christian did not even want to be in this relationship with Dani and has grown distant from her long before the events of the movie and had planned to break up with her, but stayed with her out of guilt. Second, and probably more disturbing, Dani celebrates her "breaking up" with her boyfriend by having him paralyzed and burned alive after he had just been drugged and raped by the cult.

I saw so many impressions on twitter during the initial release of this movie who found the ending so satisfying for having Christian "getting what he deserved" and I feel like the movie wants us to feel this way because that sort of thought process is disturbing and the self-reflection of realizing that we cheered for the death of a man who had been raped is ultimately one of the most terrifying aspects of the entire movie.

So era, what are your thoughts on Midsommar and it's ending?

Last edited:

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think there was an protagonist in this story IMO. but the only antagonist was the cult/swedish dude

Last edited:

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I saw it around Halloween...and to be honest i do not remember anything about the ending more than thet they ate dinner and she sat in like a throne made of leafs of something...

Oct 29, 2017
Movie is great, the director's cut is even better if you can catch it sometime (I'm not sure if it's widely available yet or still only on Apple services?).

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I know this wasn't really the point of the movie, but I really wanted to see the cult get some sort of comeuppance and was a little bummed that they never got their shit kicked in. I hated those people.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The opening 10 minutes and the last 30 or so minutes were pretty good. It's the rest of it that I thought was a boring slog which took me out of the movie. That being said, I thought the ending was just another play on The Wicker Man's ending. I think the point is that no one really had what could be called a happy ending. No one in that film deserved their fate, but they didn't have enough depth to them (aside from Florence Pugh) for anyone to really care.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is true too but I don't think Dano is a protagonist by any means either. She is still the victim and suffered plenty but she still has her boyfriend murdered out of spiteful revenge
I agree, I'm not well verse in story telling to know if there is a third option (antagonist, protagonist, ???), but the antagonist was def the Swedish dude that brought them there

Shit i had it reversed.

I meant I dont think there was an PROtagonist in the story.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
As a point of clarification, I don't think the sister actually murdered the parents? I was under the assumption it was an accident based on the way she killed herself? Unless I missed something

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I agree, I'm not well verse in story telling to know if there is a third option (antagonist, protagonist, ???), but the protagonist was def the Swedish dude that brought them there

Lol wait what? He was helping to orchestrate their deaths. You can see him smiling like a psycho in the background in multiple death/capture scenes.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
As a point of clarification, I don't think the sister actually murdered the parents? I was under the assumption it was an accident based on the way she killed herself? Unless I missed something
It was a murder-suicide, she sealed off her parent's room's door so they would also suffocate from the car's exhaust fumes

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Dani, Christian and all their friends are unbelievable shitheads. All of them have it coming. It's funny to me to think of the ending as kind of twisted YASS QUEEN parody.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She 100% killed the parents on purpose. Their room was sealed with one hose running into it and the other running straight into her mouth in a different room.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one in the story is an explicit protagonist, really. I think the only character who stands out as an explicit protagonist is Dany - largely due to her suffering and our perspective of her handling of it. The film to me depicts the failings of modern secular society/academia to provide the emotional comfort and community that the cult immediately offers Dany. This is depicted (quite ridiculously) by how the cult expresses grief/joy/pain as a collective rather than as isolated individuals. One could also argue that the cult is doing it for purely selfish reasons but at no point in the film does anyone outside of the cult give Dany the support and comfort she deserves after her devastating tragedy. I think the film has many problems but in my mind it sticks the landing by empowering Dany to finally rid herself of her selfish and indifferent "friends" on her own terms. In that sense, everyone but her is an antagonist.

The spooky suicide note she leaves Dany mentions "everything is black, I'm taking mom and dad with me".

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone took stupid pills

I saw this with my partner and I was thinking the same thing. Pretty much my main thoughts were

1) why is everyone acting so incredibly dumb even before the drugs started showing up
2) this man literally got raped
3) being a bad boyfriend is not justification for burning them alive in a bear suit

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't she also drugged out when she made her decision? Of course, there could be some underlying intent there, but I'm not sure a completely sober Dani would go that far.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
It was a murder-suicide, she sealed off her parent's room's door so they would also suffocate from the car's exhaust fumes
She 100% killed the parents on purpose. Their room was sealed with one hose running into it and the other running straight into her mouth in a different room.

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying, I had thought just the fumes escaped from her suicide and killed the parents by accident

Oct 29, 2017

She very much put hoses underneath the door of their parents' room and taped up the gap between the door and the floor. She took them with her, which was SUPER dark and sad.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was great thematically and fit well within the story. I still wish shit got a bit crazier at the end there but it was a good ending.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is true too but I don't think Dani is a protagonist by any means either. She is still the victim and suffered plenty but she still has her boyfriend murdered out of spiteful revenge

Isn't she drugged out of her mind at that point herself? It seems to me that the cultist purposefully set it up where she makes the decision that she does.

Dec 31, 2017
-Wasn't a good boyfriend.
-The realtionship was a shitty draining one that he was about to end.
-He also wasn't a good friend and stole his friends thesis.
-Its heavily implied he was drugged(more than everyone else) and not in control of his actions.

Drugged raped and burned alive by lunatics.

Much lesser movie than Hereditary. And all the teenage girls that couldn't stop laughing for the final fifteen minutes didn't help.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I saw so many impressions on twitter during the initial release of this movie who found the ending so satisfying for having Christian "getting what he deserved".
Yeah I also saw those tweets and was immediately reminded of the people that cheered for Amy Dune in Gone Girl.
People can be twisted, and it's funny that it takes a movie to make them come out of their hole to show us how they really feel.

Also, I dont know how you can think that the movie wants you to feel that the boyfriend's death is justified, at all. You know he's drugged, you know he's doing it against his will... so, what's the catch?

As for the movie itself, it was meh, I liked Hereditary better.
The 2nd act killed the pacing of the movie for me. Beautiful cinematograpghy and directing though.
Shame the screenplay wasn't up to par.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I recently saw this and I REALLY was feelin it the first half or so, and then I felt like it got kind of drawn out and spun its wheels a bit in that later part of the movie. And yeah it does kind of fall into that "WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE" thing with horror protagonists. But I would definitely say it was a good movie and would recommend it for artsy-horror fans.

One of the many things I liked about it is that I think there's various kind of allegorical or thematic ways you can approach it from that may all be valid. I think one of the ways of looking at it is from a lens of individuality vs community and how a person's relationship with those things can change dramatically in the face of trauma and desperation. Dani is a character in a very vulnerable position; she's lost her entire direct family suddenly and all at once, her boyfriend just seems like he feels too bad for her to break up with her, and the other people, if they can even be called her friends, are all caught up in their own motivations for being there and don't care much about her. She is free, in a sense, but has no community or family. In a way what Dani does in the end is accept madness and violent ritual because she gets a new 'family' in return. Not at all unlike how vulnerable people end up in cults all the time.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not a very good movie due to the insane stupidity of the characters.

Then we have the absurd cult stuff that borders on parody.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I did wonder what would happen to Christian if she didn't choose him. I mean, they weren't going to let him leave or be part of the community.

Like with Parasite though, I don't take the endings literally, the movies are more interested in the metaphors.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And all the teenage girls that couldn't stop laughing for the final fifteen minutes didn't help.
Screenings of Hereditary were the same way. Nudity in film brings out the nervous giggles in American audiences who are accustomed to sexless, nudity-free films.

On the bright side, it sounds like Ari Aster's next project will be a straight up horror-comedy so there's that.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Screenings of Hereditary were the same way. Nudity in film brings out the nervous giggles in American audiences who are accustomed to sexless, nudity-free films.

On the bright side, it sounds like Ari Aster's next project will be a straight up horror-comedy so there's that.
That sequence is either intentionally funny, or one of the most tonally mismatched climaxes (heh) in cinema history. I am firmly in the former camp. He's leaning into the inherent goofiness of the entire premise and giving the audience permission to laugh a bit.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I loved it but I think your supposed to be high and enjoying it, not overthinking it.

Watched hereditary after and loved it to too but I think the creators went in the right direction with midsummer, I didn't buy the ending to the first one, I'm the opposite

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
My thinking was that a lot of the film wasn't meant to be taken literally and that burning the boyfriend represented putting an end to a toxic relationship. I didn't take it as the filmmakers literally advocating murder in such a situation.

I also didn't think that it showed the act as anything honorable, especially since the two live sacrifices from the community were both obviously lied to, having been told they wouldn't experience any pain or fear, yet in the final moments, they do. The sacrifice, in the end, isn't anything to be celebrated.

As others have also pointed out, if we're reading the final act as literal, Dani was also drugged up.

I don't think there's anything to be lauded about any of it, which is what I think makes it even creepier when juxtaposed against such beautiful imagery and music.

It's been a while since I've seen it though, and I'd like to watch it again before being certain in how I'd read it. Those are just my two cents.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The truth is Dani just traded her codependency on her emotionally distant boyfriend for a codependency of an emotional cult who is going to choose her mate for her.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My thinking was that a lot of the film wasn't meant to be taken literally and that burning the boyfriend represented putting an end to a toxic relationship.
What's funny though is that it was the boyfriend who wanted to end it for most of the movie and she was the one who wouldn't let go.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
at first i wasn't sure. i was comparing it to Hereditary too much. but it's grown on me and i love the movie start to finish. definitely wipes the floor with hereditary.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I loved the ending to this movie. Very well done. And yeah the people who don't realize he was raped get a hmmmm from me.