• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
Playing FFX again after many years and I just went through that scene again.

Not playing the game for more than a decade made me forget the context around the infamous laugh and I have to admit that it does sound ridiculous if you only take out the 30 seconds of awkward laughter. I myself made a mockery of it several times.

I just think people forgot how endearing and cute the scene actually is if you take into consideration the conversation Yuna and Tidus have right before the laugh and the fact they realize how ridiculous they sound as they giggle it off.

I think it was a nice scene overall.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny out of context and most probably assume it's just bad voice acting.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the removal of context.
when removed from context it seems like an unintentionally bad laugh instead of an intentionally stilted and awkward laugh
Tidus is a big dumb awkward idiot, a recent transplant from another world that ostensibly doesn't even exist, and he's trying to understand and cheer up a friend who is resolved to essentially sacrifice her own life in order to halt an apocalyptic being and bring about a short temporary peace
he knows it's awkward but he's like fuck it and he's so earnest and goofy about it that it really does cheer up his friend a bit
not like FFX's voice acting and direction is close to perfect but this particular scene has never been treated fairly

tl;dr
ppl posted it without context for the lulz and thus one of the better vg-based reaction memes was born

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It became a meme because of how ridiculous the scene is out of context.

Also people hated Tidus' dub but I always thought it was great especially considering the time it came out.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
People don't get context and then refused to admit that they misread a scene because memes are more important.

Seriously, it's hilarious to see how defensive people get over defending the idea of it being a bad scene when they just got caught being bad at understanding things.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
People who can't understand anything that isn't explicitly spelled out to them didn't understand that the laugh was supposed to sound really stupid on purpose, which is completely obvious to anyone who can read the context

Twenty years later people STILL double down on this and insist it was bad voice acting or bad writing

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
It's taken out of context and happened to go viral.

The camera even pans to the other characters looking at Tidus and Yuna strangely.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's cringe inducing and a bad example of game voice acting.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Even in context, I was like WTF with how fake it sounded. Even Wakka and the others agreed that they were loco in the head.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I have a certain amount of respect for any video based meme pre-youtube. Not exactly sure when this became a thing but I assume it qualifies.

Also I'm confused about the concern around context. Show me a meme that doesn't intentionally remove context for humorous effect. That is almost an essential ingredient to memeology.

Last edited:

Clydefrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii
u3yfmDg.jpg

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is supposed to be cringe. Look at the parties reaction and how the game focuses on it. Even Yuna asks him to stop.

The whole setup is poorly acted, whereby him switching between himself and cringe is indistinguishable, it seems like an extension of himself, its not just me it's a popular sentiment with those that played it. My hate for him increased ten fold after that scene.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also I'm confused about the concern around context. Show me a meme that doesn't intentionally remove context for humorous effect. That is almost an essential ingredient to memeology.
and it serves the meme well.
the effect that the removal of context has on genuine discussion, however...
this meme has been evoked time and time again to imply far more about the game than the ingame moment does.
so when asked how this became a meme, 'removal of context' is simply my answer. not a concern. although when this meme is brought up I usually highlight that fact so that people approach it with that it's just a meme in mind, and not something to treat like it's got real weight as an argument in and of itself

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just for the record y'all can't defend this but also shit on the "love transcends space and time" thing from Interstellar

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It was bad in context too.

I wasn't even reading message boards at the time and it was ridiculously bad.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It is just an awful, awful cringey scene. It was the first time the hobby made me feel embarrassment growing up. The context does not help it.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I like how big some peoples pants are ITT solely because they watched a youtube video. Just gotta make it seem like you know more, or are better than someone else, huh?

Even with the actual context, it is still extremely silly and makes for a good laugh

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Have you heard it? It's really bad. Lol.

First Final Fantasy with voice acting and we had to deal with this.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I got the context, OP. The scene was still awkward and off-putting, and even the rest of cast in-game felt that cringe based on that pan shot.

Made it perfect for dumb memes.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
A lot of people (including me) when we were kids looked at that scene and went "ew this voice acting is garbo" and didn't realize that the specific scene contextualized has reasoning behind why it sounds as fake and hollow as it does.

I mean some people tend to forget Tidus is literally a jock dude bro from another dimension who was cheerfully walking Yuna to a...bad time. So I'm not surprised that the context isn't enough for some people.

I for one still think it's hilarious to make fun of but have grown to appreciate it versus when I was younger and thought it was stupid.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Here's the thing, and it's kind of a difficult sentiment to express:

Sure, the laugh in context is supposed to sound forced and awkward. But we as an audience still have a general sense of how a person making awkward laughter would naturally sound, and this scene fails to convey that. Sure you can argue it makes more sense in context, but even then I'd still argue it's overdone and poorly directed.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The voice acting in FFX is very awkward already, so an intentionally awkward scene comes off as ludicrously, hilariously awkward.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a beautiful and cute scene. People are just purposefully being obtuse about it being bad. The first part is supposed to be awkward and its obvious as hell. After that they both laugh.

The game is so fantastic.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Playing FFX again after many years and I just went through that scene again.

Not playing the game for more than a decade made me forget the context around the infamous laugh and I have to admit that it does sound ridiculous if you only take out the 30 seconds of awkward laughter. I myself made a mockery of it several times.

I just think people forgot how endearing and cute the scene actually is if you take into consideration the conversation Yuna and Tidus have right before the laugh and the fact they realize how ridiculous they sound as they giggle it off.

I think it was a nice scene overall.

It's exaggurated and widely applicable as a response to a number of situations, while at the same time being unique.

Take the gif of the guy blinking:

tenor.gif
GIFs and moments like that take off as memes because they're instantly understood, humourously relatable as a body-language and you don't find many similar moments in media that get across the same specific feeling or impression.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
As said its taken out of context, but in context its still a bad scene. the fake laugh was awful and awkward. I didnt care for ffx when it came out and that scene qas when i realized it wasnt going to get any better for me.