• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Cod ww2 sucks tho. Mess of cliches, bad attempt at making deep character back story, too narrow in scope compared to the classics. The tank mission where you have to point blank rear armor shoot fucking panzer ivs made me history nerd rage
I thought it was pretty good precisely because it was a no fuss cliched linear action barrage, polished almost to a perfection. COD campaigns are supposed to be like this, similar to Marvel's summer blockbusters and such.

IW has varied mission structure, interesting locations, newer weapon types, and a story with more involved interpersonal relationships. What don't you like about it?
It was underwhelming to me in everything: mission structure, locations, weapons and don't get me even started on that nonsense of a story.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
It was fun but too short. It really shone when it was not trying to be yet another COD.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
My main gripes were that it was too short (even by CoD campaign standards) and it was kind of light on the setpieces.

But I still really enjoyed and it played through it several times.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I thought it was a pretty neat little story especially both ends. Anything about the Cold War is interesting to me. I just wish it was less "action movie" around it, and more spy old Medal of Honor infiltration style stuff, which would better fit the "Cold War" thing, not big shootouts. My favorite level was the KGB building. I wasn't expecting that at all, very fun level and like I just said, played into the "Cold War" theme very well.

But I did enjoy the COD WWII campaign the most out of any COD so far. It really felt like they put heart into it especially on sound effects and the CGI videos were incredibly good. Modern D-day sequence and Bastogne were incredible to experience as a fan of Band of Brothers and researcher of WWII. The gameplay was damn fun, all the old guns were there and felt powerful, I played it on hard so health wasn't so plentiful and given to the player every second like normal did and I had to be more strategic. I liked playing by old school health rules again and doing the heroic actions was a nice touch to every level. People really overlooked that game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was a pretty neat little story especially both ends. Anything about the Cold War is interesting to me. I just wish it was less "action movie" around it, and more spy old Medal of Honor infiltration style stuff, which would better fit the "Cold War" thing, not big shootouts. My favorite level was the KGB building. I wasn't expecting that at all, very fun level and like I just said, played into the "Cold War" theme very well.

But I did enjoy the COD WWII campaign the most out of any COD so far. It really felt like they put heart into it especially on sound effects and the CGI videos were incredibly good. Modern D-day sequence and Bastogne were incredible to experience as a fan of Band of Brothers and researcher of WWII. The gameplay was damn fun, all the old guns were there and felt powerful, I played it on hard so health wasn't so plentiful and given to the player every second like normal did and I had to be more strategic. I liked playing by old school health rules again and doing the heroic actions was a nice touch to every level. People really overlooked that game.

I played WW2 for the first time myself a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a helluva good-looking game too.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Cold War's campaign was very good, it may be my favorite since Black Ops 2's campaign. Good setpieces, nice variety in its missions/settings, was respectful to Black Ops 1/2 and CoD as a whole, didn't have any real weak moments (outside of the two side missions that can be skilled); overall just felt like it was made by people that really love CoD. I definitely want to see Raven get another chance at making a campaign, especially if they can do the 80's Cold War setting again

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Warfare is still my favorite campaign out of all the CoDs this gen, and is #2 or #3 depending on what day you ask me overall for CoD. (MW2 is my favorite, with MW3 rounding out the top three. Yes, MW3. Why? No game has ever made me feel rage and then satisfaction like the last stage of MW3 and gave me full control over how it ends. Dropping you into the level with a Juggernaut suit on and a LMG just blasting fools? That's good. But being able to squeeze LT and RT to choke the ever living shit out of the man who caused everything and then fall through a glass celling and watch him hang while you light up a cigar? That's great and worth every last fucking penny. )

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was really fun. Loved the setting and atmosphere. Some truly memorable moments and setpieces. Enjoyed the ending but I'm a sucker for visual manipulation in videogames. Although very very light, I enjoyed the deduction elements/puzzles. I specially enjoyed taking photos and would really appreciate a good detective game set in that time period.
I'm really enjoying the mp too. I think it's my favourite COD since the ps3 era, to be honest

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I though it was solid, but reaally, really short, even for a CoD campaign. The ending just came up on me before I knew it.
Another game with these characters would be great.

Also Black Ops III was the worst CoD campaign since CoD 3, so seeing a decent Black Ops single player again was nice.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I played WW2 for the first time myself a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a helluva good-looking game too.

Yeah it's stunningly good looking. I went straight from Cold War to it and I was shocked how it was on par if not better in some ways playing it on my PS5.

I put off WWII for years because the MP beta put me off, but that campaign is gold. Excellent WWII campaign and can be very heartfelt, not something you see often in a COD game.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Too short, and the only decision that matters is the last one you make. Compared that with Black Ops 2, which had a plot that changed in small and large ways throughout the story based on your actions. Moreover, it's just a clumsily written story with all the USSR Red Scare tropes you could hope to have, with the slightest attempt to make America seem comparatively evil while still making the CIA the good guys in the end.

Naturally, I picked the "bad" ending. Loved every minute of that finale.
Is it actually only 3-4 hours long?
It's three hours, give or take. Only reason I beat it in two sittings was because I got bored halfway through.
You guys really liked Infinite Warfare?
Best CoD campaign in a long time. It's TV movie levels of cheese with surprisingly heartfelt character interactions and shockingly good art direction. ETH3n is the GOAT robot buddy of 2016 (sorry, BT, you don't hold a candle).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Best CoD campaign in a long time. It's TV movie levels of cheese with surprisingly heartfelt character interactions and shockingly good art direction. ETH3n is the GOAT robot buddy of 2016 (sorry, BT, you don't hold a candle).

To me Ethan felt so much more refreshing because it skips over the whole: "Can robots feel!?" shtick and just gave him a charming personality with quirks. You can still tell he's a robot that just talks like a human, but it works.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
My first ending was the bad ending. And it was amazing!

The good ending is really mehhh.. kinda ends out of nowhere.

But I do feel the game is a step down in all other ways! The feel is not as good as MW, nor is the MP

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
To me Ethan felt so much more refreshing because it skips over the whole: "Can robots feel!?" shtick and just gave him a charming personality with quirks. You can still tell he's a robot that just talks like a human, but it works.
It also makes those emotional moments with him all the more meaningful, like when him and Reyes think the latter is about to die after being spaced, so Ethan comforts him in his final moments. And in the last level, his programming prevents him from jeopardizing the lives of his comrades even under Reyes' orders, so you have to use the same hacking device you've used across the campaign to control him (with his consent) in his final moments.
Why's the OP put a spoiler in the last paragraph :(
Don't worry, it's not a spoiler. The game just doesn't do anything interesting with them to justify their inclusion. The focus of the narrative is almost entirely on the player character and their CO, Adler. Everyone else is pretty forgettable, returning faces included.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
All the right pieces are there but they kind of fucked up with the voice actor recastings which made the returning characters feel completely unrecognizable. Hell, even the Vita game, Black Ops: Declassified, had the original voice cast.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Adler is a pretty memorable character (by CoD standards, at least) and the mission where you infiltrate the KGB headquarters was awesome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
All the right pieces are there but they kind of fucked up with the voice actor recastings which made the returning characters feel completely unrecognizable. Hell, even the Vita game, Black Ops: Declassified, had the original voice cast.

Mason I'll give you, but the dude playing Woods I thought was fine. He sounds very similar and far from unrecognisable. For me it was more that he was just sidekick slapstick douche in this, which I put down to the writing more than recasting. Recasting with soundalikes can work (Like Price last year) if the writing is also good, but Woods is largely just there to drop expletives.

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed it. It is the first COD campaign I have finished since Infinite Warfare and has actually made me think about going back and finishing Modern Warfare. Just a little too short, I am not asking for it to be a 10-12 hour thing, but if these games were 7-8 it would be perfect for me.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It is OK - but has all the core combat complaints I have for every COD game. They are just not my style of FPS. I just wish Raven actually worked on their own IPs that are not Call of Duty.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's decent. A bit too short and even though some characters return I feel like there's such little connection to the already established storyline that to me it definitely feels like those characters like Woods, Mason and Hudson were shoehorned in so they could convert a new subfranchise into a Black Ops game. Just something like a mission where you go after Perseus in Angola, only for Woods to be captured would have been nice. I also don't like the bad ending simply because it obviously isn't canon. It also would have been nice if your choices actually impact the story like BO2, but unfortunately it doesn't matter at all. Also a shame they recast Mason and Woods, Infinity Ward did a pretty good job recasting where even tho they get a new actor for Price for example it still feels like Price, yet here Mason just feels like a completely different person and Woods feels like they cast the best Woods impersonator they could find. Hudson was more than fine though.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Was great, wish it was longer. Really enjoyed the puzzles and free-form/multiple options missions.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it Best by watching Hasan Abi play through it.
CoD is just not equipped to tackle Cold War politics and CIA's war crimes, but at least you have the ability to teach Reagan and the US a lesson for planting nukes under Europe to own the commies.