• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Just keep porting Ultimate forward, but change the modes around it. Add in an Adventure mode like Melee's (that is still ridiculous fun even now), a new story mode (I'd prefer something like Subspace Emissary being added in, unlikely though), and just add and add to it. The Smash gameplay is perfect as is.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just re-release it, people have clearly shown that they are okay with buying $60 ports of last gen Nintendo games and Nintendo also realizes this.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
They release it free to play and require each fighter to be unlocked using amiibo's.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Make a deluxe version for the next system and let the Nintendo from 203X figure that out.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
The way I see it you can do one of these four things:

Do Ultimate again but bigger or port Ultimate in GAAS style situation like Fortnite, Destiny 1+2, WOW, or OverWatch to the next Nintendo console

I don't think this approach is sustainable long term. See Pokemon after Gen 5 continually having issues with its large roster (and it's arguably more complicated to remake a fighting game roster every dev cycle than a Pokemon roster). Doing this now would effectively just be kicking the can down the road for some other poor sap to clean up.

Soft reboot (IE MK9 approach)
I'm skeptical Sakurai or whoever replaces him can add enough new characters and content to really justify this approach. Brawl and For 3DS/Wii U added roughly 18 -19 characters at launch. If we assume the original 8 (Mario, Yoshi, DK, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu) and Captain Falcon+Ness+Luigi (no way they get leave the roster people would riot if any of them were cut or made DLC) are in with revamped movesets that gives you 8-9 slots of dev resources. If we are being generous and say that not having a Subspace or 3DS version to worry about increases newcomer production capabilities slightly we can maybe bump this to let's say 16-18 true newcomers. I'll also be generous and say Nintendo doesn't request any synergy with like Arms 2: Electric Boogaloo or Splatoon 4 with revamped Min Min, Inkling, or whatever. That could work but you'll either need to have a meaty single-player and scant newcomer #s or a decent amount of newcomers and a ton of simpler, smaller multiplayer modes. The former could work from a marketing perspective going off Brawl but the latter might be a hard sell when a lot of the casual appeal of Smash is its pick-up and play nature which usually means just having a favorite house ruleset and sticking to it. Adding say a tag battle/assist mode ala MVC or Tekken Tag Tournament might be nice for the competitive folks but will the casuals that make up the majority of sales really see that as valuable? As an example, I feel like people actively make fun of Squad Strike in Ultimate for how niche it is. Especially when we could conceivably have Ultimate + Switch as a discounted bundle option for the thrifty customer by the time this is out.

Traditional Smash Sequel Approach (normal amount of cuts and additions, few revamps, and one or two big new modes)
This is likely the route I see them taking to minimize the roster equivalent of sticker shock and to avoid alienating casual veteran players with moveset revamps. I expect most of the characters that have easy-to-make echos and semi-clones to stay in this scenario to bump up roster #s to minimize cognitive dissonance as much as possible. This is also the safe and boring approach IMO.

"Smash With a Twist" (Smash in 3D ala Power Stone, Smash with other media characters, Smash Warriors, etc.)
I would like this approach the most but I also think it's the least likely. Changing the roster too much and you alienate casual players and at that point your economically better off just making a new crossover IP.

Drblitzk

Dec 9, 2020
They don't, they sell us Ultimate again with all the dlc, spirits, mii fighters and others bells and whistles and spend the next 4-5 years adding rollback netcode.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they do a sequel, not all the characters are coming back. THat'd be a logistical nightmare.

They'll have to do something big to make up for that, but if anyone can figure it out, they can.

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
a new twist on the gameplay. like a totally different fighting/platforming/party style

super smash wrestling 3d

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say that I appreciate what's happening with the series right now.

Will it ever top this? I doubt it very much so.

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can't really get behind idea to just strip down to basics and go with a small roster, because for one, that's going to grossly pale in comparison to the behemoth that we currently have. And two, Smash is a love letter to gaming with all of its representation. The new rebooted Smash would just be building itself back to the glorious heights the current version has achieved, until it became a mountain of a game again. And then once it does... does the series just get reset again?

The other idea people have mentioned is do a different genre, but imo the platform fighting is what makes Smash Bros uniquely Smash Bros. It might as well just be a spinoff instead of an actual successor to the series.

I don't know how third party licensing would work for something as massive as Smash, but I wonder if they'll be able to just port this to their next system and continue adding characters + stages + music, etc. That seems like the easiest solution, and even then it seems like a potential nightmare

The Fate of the Smash Brothers

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
You missed two spots…

latest
latest

They're inevitable for the next Smash game (Ring Fit Trainee especially). But yeah, the others you mentioned make sense.

I can see that! I imagine Octoling (echo or not) or (and?) Marina have decent chances.

Whenever the next game comes I really hope they do more with echoes in general. It's an easy way to add new characters without worrying too much about balance issues.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Better online, bring in a company to assist that can really get it up to snuff. More story single player stuff, story mode that brings everyone together just do subspace emissary 2 with even more cutscenes. Characters will likely not make it to the next game and will allow sakurai to fill in with more diversity hopefully people like Urbosa

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can see that! I imagine Octoling (echo or not) or (and?) Marina have decent chances.

Whenever the next game comes I really hope they do more with echoes in general. It's an easy way to add new characters without worrying too much about balance issues.
Marina would have to get in now (& I hope she does). By the time the next Smash game comes along, she & Pearl would sadly be old news.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They can maybe port it to their next gen and add 1-3 characters and ride it out for a quick cash grab. I think a lot of people would be happy too.

Then in 2 generations do a full restart and change up the base formula and movesets and start all over building a roster ever gen until there is Ultimate 2

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly not sure they will.

I would be okay with them just porting Ultimate over and adding some better offline content. I don't want a series reboot and I especially don't want "Smash Bros, but this time it's Power Stone" like some people keep screaming for. Power Stone is a pale imitation of Smash.

you take that back! Power stone is the GOAT of smash type fighting games.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe do a spin-off.

Like a Super Smash Bros - Mario characters only, or Zelda only, that sort of thing. Do several of these, and then come back with "everyone is here" again.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Did you play Kirby battle royale or Kirby Fighters?

That's why that isn't a good idea.

Different developer, so I have to disagree.
I'm not saying do every franchise as a standalone, but ones where a big and interesting enough roster can be achieved.

It's a way of making a new Smash from the ground up without being too much of a disappointment for having a smaller roster.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
The majority of the initial and lasting appeal of Smash Brothers is the crossover aspect. "a new Smash" being just Mario characters is not Smash.

That's why I said spin-off.

And Smash is whatever Nintendo says it is. People wanted Mario Kart to be Smash on wheels and that didn't happen, because it doesn't have to.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i would take an enhanced port that adds every mode and stage from past games into Ultimate.

they already have the foundation and it only needs more variety to be truly complete since i miss a lot of things that didn't return for Ultimate and that were cut due to budget and time.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Different developer, so I have to disagree.
I'm not saying do every franchise as a standalone, but ones where a big and interesting enough roster can be achieved.

It's a way of making a new Smash from the ground up without being too much of a disappointment for having a smaller roster.

Right, so you want them to tie all these spin offs to one of their most successful developers, wasting them on a bunch of spin offs that only sell peanuts compared to what they could be doing, and also literally nobody else is allowed to work on it to make this kind of idea work on a reasonable timeframe.

I hope why this is a terrible plan is self explanatory.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Right, so you want them to tie all these spin offs to one of their most successful developers, wasting them on a bunch of spin offs that only sell peanuts compared to what they could be doing, and also literally nobody else is allowed to work on it to make this kind of idea work on a reasonable timeframe.

I hope why this is a terrible plan is self explanatory.

I'm sorry but no, you don't seem to understand. It could just only be one spin off.
If the idea is to actually make something new, it'll have to be scaled back anyway in terms of roster.

But if you want them to just slightly update the existing game ad infinitum, whatever, not sure what the point of the thread is then.

This will happen, it's just a question of how they package it (spin off or insanely cut back mainline game).

Not sure what the confusion is here, this is how soft reboots are done. You want new tech and new ideas - fine, but you won't get all of the content.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If its just one IP its not Smash Bros. Its as simple as that, and considering how significant the gameplay changes would have to be to make it appealing it would have very little in common.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
OP asked for how they're going to do another Smash, not how they could do a spin off that defeats the purpose.

This is how.

If OP honestly means a NEW Smash, as in new tech, ideas, etc., then it'll be scaled back.
A spin-off is a way to test that idea with a smaller roster.
Then build on that and make a proper one.

Obviously they could just do a normal Smash but have very few characters - but that just sounds disappointing to me.

Think Gran Turismo Sport, or any reboot basically.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Just re-release it, people have clearly shown that they are okay with buying $60 ports of last gen Nintendo games and Nintendo also realizes this.
There is a big difference between Wii U ports that no one owned the original of, and Switch ports that sell 30 million copies.

Clearly people understand that Wii U games selling crazy numbers at 60 dollars are not people rebuying the game right?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a big difference between Wii U ports that no one owned the original of, and Switch ports that sell 30 million copies.

Clearly people understand that Wii U games selling crazy numbers at 60 dollars are not people rebuying the game right?
But it's people being conditioned to buying old games for $60, they will absolutely do this with Switch games eventually.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
But it's people being conditioned to buying old games for $60, they will absolutely do this with Switch games eventually.
It's people buying games they don't have for 60. It will be a much harder sell when the game breaks 30 million. Switch 2 will also likely be backwards compatible based on the partnership with Nvidia.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
There's no way of knowing this. But it's likely what made Smash Bros Ultimate as successful as it is is the Switch bump, which has been hitting every Nintendo franchise. Nintendo series like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have had their most successful titles with absolutely no third parties. Pokemon has had its most successful title since the days of GSC. Mario had the most successful 3D Mario ever, by a huge magnitude. etc.

I'm not denying the profitability of first-party titles on Nintendo Switch, I just think that dismissing the value of third party characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate is illogical.

The base game only introduced three new third party characters (Simon, Richter, and Ken), so I don't think this is that much of a truism.

But those three characters have an extensive history with Nintendo so there's a lot of consumer overlap with them. Terry, Joker, Sephiroth and Kazuya, on the other hand, are characters from series that have limited affiliation with Nintendo.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
- cut the roster by half while significantly upgrading visuals as well as making each character as unique as possible moveset wise, no more echo fighters.

- a way better online infrastructure from rollback netcode to proper ranked matchmaking as well as better lobbies and a proper spectator mode for said lobbies

- better single player content combining some of the ideas from World of Light with a subspace emissary style bonker story accompanied with great cutscenes (CGI or ingame or even both)

- aside from miis and new characters, also introduce skins for DLC (which could coincide with new Nintendo releases, like for example Samus getting a new skin based on Metroid Dread) which could in return fuel more free updates with new modes.

And if you think this title wouldn't still sell 20 millions you're actually fooling yourself, Smash has a legacy and its own history that goes beyond its crossover identity.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Much less characters, much better SP and coop modes and better online would be my wish.

But I don't see that happening.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I do agree that they've walked themselves into a corner with respect to fan expectations. Software can't keep getting bigger and bigger every time, they're going to hit limits and going to have to cut stuff, and I expect a lot of fans aren't going to be understanding about it.

That said, with respect to sales potential I think they're fine. Probably no matter what they do for the next game they will find commercial success.

Anyway, I hope they come up with some miracle that pleases nearly everyone and discussion doesn't end up really toxic. Here's hoping.