• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reboot.

It's really the only option now unless they expect people to restart their expectations with the same core gameplay/functionality/etc but with just less stuff.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the weakest argument I've ever heard against the inclusion of third party characters. For starters, you can't actually prove that, but more importantly, Nintendo is a business and this response is not business.
That's because it wasn't an argument against them, I just don't want them fuck the business side of it. I'm not making money off of this shit why does that matter to me. I want Smash to celebrate Nintendo not garbage like persona.

Furthermore, you also can't prove that the third parties significantly impacted the sales of the game, so congrats that point works both ways.

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
they copy and paste the code add some new animations and modes and resell it with all dlc included and new characters.. like the same they did from wiiu to switch

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Reboot.

It's really the only option now unless they expect people to restart their expectations with the same core gameplay/functionality/etc but with just less stuff.

Like maybe not a full on reboot but I would like the team to go back into the drawing board in the moveset of some of these characters and overhaul them. Like Ganondorf is the obvious one to point out but I think of other characters like Luigi who at this point really shouldn't be a "Shotoclone" of Mario anymore and should have more of his gameplay revolve around the Luigi Mansion gimmick he's more associated with now.

And since we have Three Generations of Link now, they really should use it as an excuse to fine-tune them more around the General of games they represent.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope for good solo content, World of Light was fine but there was more diversity with event matches.
I almost only play Smash solo so once I'm done with that, I stop playing it, so this time I didn't buy any DLC.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
That's because it wasn't an argument against them, I just don't want them fuck the business side of it. I'm not making money off of this shit why does that matter to me. I want Smash to celebrate Nintendo not garbage like persona.

Furthermore, you also can't prove that the third parties significantly impacted the sales of the game, so congrats that point works both ways.

This is peak gatekeeping and for a children's party game, too.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It's the "third party bullshit" that made Super Smash Bros Ultimate as successful as it is. Newcomers get into Smash Bros via the third party characters and the current install base get introduced to a new gaming series through the third party character.
I don't think that's as true as you think it is. If anything I'm pretty sure Smash Bros is much more known than any of its third party characters aside from maybe Pac-Man.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is peak gatekeeping and for a children's party game, too.
Sakurai already does this to an extent by limiting it only to video game characters anyway, so I really don't care. Either way, I said what I wanted to happen not what I expect to happen which would, sadly for me, be the complete opposite of what I want. Maybe there won't be a new Smash in the traditional sense but just a Nintendo vs the world of gaming where it's some of Nintendo's more popular and recognizable series and then you have a bunch of reps from a bunch of other popular properties or something from various companies.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I can see a reset of Smash Bros happening.
  • Give all characters fresh movesets so they feel more like their more recent games.
  • Cut some characters of the roster or change them with characters from their newer games
  • More recent characters can probably be copied over as they are.
I can see a new hype cycle starting with every character slowly being reintroduced and seeing what they changed to the old cast.

In a way people see Smash being in a difficult situation. But I honestly think that the situation Smash is in is quite good. They have a roster both new and old that they can work upon and alter to bring the same love like the Ultimate Newcomers got.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's the "third party bullshit" that made Super Smash Bros Ultimate as successful as it is. Newcomers get into Smash Bros via the third party characters and the current install base get introduced to a new gaming series through the third party character.

There's no way of knowing this. But it's likely what made Smash Bros Ultimate as successful as it is is the Switch bump, which has been hitting every Nintendo franchise. Nintendo series like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have had their most successful titles with absolutely no third parties. Pokemon has had its most successful title since the days of GSC. Mario had the most successful 3D Mario ever, by a huge magnitude. etc.

Oct 25, 2017
What I want to happen: Reboot the franchise into a 3D Arena Brawler, start roster from scratch, Nintendo's take on Power Stone basically.

What will probably happen: Same old game ported, shinier, the end.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It'll likely be exactly like every other Smash game. They start off with a plan of bringing all the previous content in- characters, stages, etc. They create a priority list for which characters make it in or not including newcomers. They make licensing deals for third parties if the character is high enough on the desired list. And with the budget and time they're given, they add what they can.

I really think Ultimate was just an aligning of the right moment.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The base game only introduced three new third party characters (Simon, Richter, and Ken), so I don't think this is that much of a truism.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even something like zooming in the camera a little bit and having both fixed stamina and traditional damage contributing to ways of KOing someone are example of new mechanics that could add a fresh coat of paint while still being smash.

To be clear I'm not advocating for making a 3D arena fighter here. Someone just recently said they could go the 3rd Strike route and I agree. Mix it up a tad.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
They don't just port it over and add to it. Can update the graphics and add things like single player campaigns and what not as we go.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think that the best way to go forward is to amplify the crossover aspect of the game but to focus exclusively on one aspect of it. Make Smash Ultimate again, but instead of being a crossover of multiple partners just make it Nintendo vs someone else. For example, a roster of half Nintendo characters vs half Sega characters would immediately give it a hook the previous games haven't had so far.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Reading some of the comments here asking the series to go 3D are baffling to me. Do people ask for the same of Street Fighter?

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spinoff called Super Smash Rejects.

It's only characters that have never been in a Smash Bros game.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate myself for this, but I feel like it should go SAAS + Fortnite metaverse. New character every month forever. Hank Hill, Goku, Elon Musk, Waluigi.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest the next smash game is just going to be Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe, just like Mario Kart 8. Maybe even just a straight port so you still have to purchase the DLC.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I hate this tired take, there are so many completely different directions they could go that no one can decide which one they want and there's no reason to believe they can't have multiple versions of the series.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
While I think Ultimate plus more til the end of the time is the best way to continue the franchise, I do wonder if Nintendo is willing to pay for all those third party licences by the time they have to port the game to Switch 2 and beyond.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Imo reboot, back to small roster but with core gameplay changes and new gameplay mode (like a more sophisticated Adventure mode like Melee or Emissary)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm still baffled by people thinking it has to be rebooted. They've already done all the work to get Ultimate existing. Just tweak some characters (like Link already was in Ultimate), cut/add some others, and boom you've got another game that makes almost everyone happy.

You could even just port Ultimate as-is and make the main new addition Subspace 2 + a couple of new Nintendo characters(Twintelle, a new Pokémon, new FE protagonist, etc).

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Either port Ultimate for the rest of all time (maybe adding more & more to it), or dramatically switch-up the gameplay of the series to try something new.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
You could even just port Ultimate as-is and make the main new addition Subspace 2 + a couple of new Nintendo characters(Twintelle, a new Pokémon, new FE protagonist, etc).

This is the way to go. Just like Mobas keep adding to it and updating the graphics and things over the years. Can even add single player campaigns and other stuff as we go. Anything else would be a downgrade.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm still baffled by people thinking it has to be rebooted. They've already done all the work to get Ultimate existing. Just tweak some characters (like Link already was in Ultimate), cut/add some others, and boom you've got another game that makes almost everyone happy.

You missed two spots…

latest
latest

They're inevitable for the next Smash game (Ring Fit Trainee especially). But yeah, the others you mentioned make sense.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Go with a spinoff. Nintendo vs Capcom, Nintendo vs Namco, etc.

Then after sometime, start over with Smash with like a 25-30 roster and build it up again.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Go with a spinoff. Nintendo vs Capcom, Nintendo vs Namco, etc.

Then after sometime, start over with Smash with like a 25-30 roster and build it up again.
That would probably entail over a decade of waiting for a new Smash game, & I doubt Nintendo would want to wait that long.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Same as the other fighting games do

Nothing happened to Tekken 7 after Tag Tournament 2, neither to MvC3 after 2

Yeah the question seems a bit crazy to me. How can a company make another game in a series that's insanely popular? Ugh, they do this literally all the time and we have tons of examples of games that essentially don't change much. That still sell gangbusters.

The idea that Nintendo "needs" to do something drastic simply because of how much is in Ultimate simply isn't based on how the industry works. Do people think they can't add a few stages, a few new moves, and some nicer graphics on switch pro and call it a day?