• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's technically a step BACK, but there's gonna be a light gun for the Polymega (you know, assuming it ever actually comes out) and I own enough Saturn and a few playstation light gun games for that to be exciting to me.

polymega.com

GC01 - Gun Controller

Pre-Order available now. The Polymega® GC01 Gun Controller is here. Utilizing Sinden's revolutionary optic positioning system, playing legacy light gun games on an HDTV is now reality! Our sub-compact light gun is designed to feel comfortable in the hand with a near-perfect center of gravity...

....but I think that's about it?

lightgun/rail shooters are one of my favourite genres, but it seems to largely have died with the Wii, sadly.

I've not yet gotten into the VR space, so maybe that is indeed where it's at.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Yeah VR and more specifically PSVR Aim controller is the closest we've gotten to true light gun gaming since the Move/ PS3 and Wii.

Seriously, why the hell don't they make a Time Crisis for VR? Remake TC1 with Richard Miller saving the Presidents daughter from Mercs in an old timey castle. That'd kick ass.

OP
OP
xir

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah VR and more specifically PSVR Aim controller is the closest we've gotten to true light gun gaming since the Move/ PS3 and Wii.

Seriously, why the hell don't they make a Time Crisis for VR? Remake TC1 with Richard Miller saving the Presidents daughter from Mercs in an old timey castle. That'd kick ass.
Ps3 had a weird gunconnfor hdtvs didn't it? Why not smother

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Would be nice to see the Sinden lightgun technology used for more than just the Polymega and PC.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
came here to shout out the Sinden, as well. mine is (supposedly ) en route for a piece at Ars.....

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah, they pretty much moved to VR or games are integrated with it.

JollyOrnateCottontail-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

The last lightgun game I played was way back on PS3, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Ps3 had a weird gunconnfor hdtvs didn't it? Why not smother

It did have a Guncon 3 with Time Crisis 4, you had to put these light sensors on straps around your tv with little weights attached to it, because everyone had LCD's by then they had to do some wacky shit.
It also had this weird "half Dualshock" side attached to the gun because for Time Crisis 4 PS3 they added some weird "walk around" version which was different to traditional arcade game.

Guncon-3-sensors-and-game-for-Time-Crisis.jpg

Then Move came out and pretty much replaced it. I don't even know if games which came later like Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil Chronicles, House of the Dead 3 and 4, Deadstorm Pirates were even compatible with the Guncon 3 or not. They may be Move only for all I know.

I remember when the pack with the Guncon 3 and Timecrisis 4 came out, was in very limited supply and very expensive. I remember it being around $200 AUD in stores.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
In a Sega ages way it would be interesting if the games were translated to VR.

To cut down on motion sickness, locomotion moments would eject you and you'd blink out of the game into a virtual arcade.
Oh and as you approached a scenario/cover shooting area, the arcade enveloped you like a twilight zone door and had you take over the protagonist and resume the game.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Eddie Esguerra the Light Gun guy I used to see in LA will eventually be maintaining his own light gun arcade or independently financing his own tech and game.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's almost pointless to do a non-VR shooting gallery-type game nowadays. I don't think there will be many new entries in the genre in the future, so you may want to invest in PC hardware and emulation if you want to keep playing this on modern tech, albeit with quite ancient software.

But if you haven't given it a shot yet, you really should try out VR as there are many variations around the concept that are very fresh and exciting. Some of the bigger titles such as Superhot VR or Pistol Whip have major light gun roots in them.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea why Nintendo added an IR sensor to the right joycon if they didn't plan to have a sensor bar accessory or anything. The only thing it's used for is checking your pulse in Ring Fit.

relik

Oct 29, 2017
Probably VR all the way now. I picked up a crt again recently just for light gun games. The added benefit was forgetting just how good PS2 games look on a crt.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I want more. Last year I managed to play Time Crisis 4/Pirates Move game on PS3 and it was awesome. Got to also play the Resident Evil Move games as well as Dead Space Extraction but the goddman PS3's Bluetooth/wifi antenna module died and you can't replace it without replacing the whole motherboard. It was fun while it lasted. T_T

I think the closest experience so far has been Blood and Truth on PSVR and couple of other VR games like Crisis VRigade.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Get PSVR and Blood & Truth and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. These two alone are better than any regular Lightgun game.

And I am saying that as a big lightgun fan who owns most of PS2, Wii and PS3 lightgun games. But taking it into VR adds a lot to the experience.

That's what I am saying for years now, but they just don't care. I would even be fine with simple ports with some added VR immersion :(

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Time Crisis and Point Blank on the PS1 were so good.

Also House of the Dead on Dreamcast.

But the age of light guns is past. They have faded, diminished, and sailed beyond the undying sea, never to be seen again in our lifetime.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I miss lightgun games so much, god damn. VR is not quite the same. It's too isolating and nowhere near as comfortable. Don't get me wrong, VR is amazing in itself, and it is very much worth the discomfort, but it's a different kind of experience with a completely different kind of commitment.

I keep my Wii U and PS3 just for their respective lightgun games (the Wii ones, in the Wii U's case) along with two Zappers, two official PS Move Gun Attachment (the pistols, not the sharpshooter), two Sharpshooters and even a Guncon 3.

For anything older than those, emulation comes to the rescue. I don't yet own a dedicated PC gun, but the wii remotes work adequately well.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Time Crisis 5 did happen, Namco just never ported it. They're all in on that anime craze nowadays and don't care about arcade as much.

House of the Dead 1 and 2 are supposed to be getting remade by the Panzer Dragoon remake devs too, so at least there's that, I guess.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Time Crisis and Point Blank on the PS1 were so good.

Also House of the Dead on Dreamcast.

But the age of light guns is past. They have faded, diminished, and sailed beyond the undying sea, never to be seen again in our lifetime.

They will live on via emulation. The sinden light guns are a big deal. There are still many games that never made it to consoles that will now find a new audience. Im sure the siden lightgun tech is already being licensed for arcade games for places like Dave and Busters. VR does it better, but there will still be a market for quick pick up and play lightgun games.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
They all died with the PS3. :(

I felt like after arcades and the PS1/2 era, they had a second wind on the PS3 with the motion controllers. I have 4 of the sharp shooter move accessories for this reason. I own Mad Dog McCree 1+2, The Last Bounty Hunter, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, Umbrella Chronicles, The Shoot, Time Crisis Razing Storm(Which also includes Time Crisis 4 and Deadstorm Pirates), House of the Dead 3 and 4.. I want to say I have more, but that's off the top of my head. It was a great system for such games.... It's too bad the trend didn't continue into the PS4.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This thread made me order a Sinden lightgun. Never played Virtua Cop and HOTD on my Model 2 emulator as it's just not the same using a mouse. Should ship in February, enough time to look into getting Model 3 emulation up and running.

Jul 1, 2020
I want to get a couple of Sinden Light Guns with the recoil add-on installed and I may soon. I enjoyed quite a few on the Wii and PS3 despite the obvious calibration flaws.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR seems like the ideal way to play old games without CRTs (Sinden looks cool though), and it's definitely the ideal format for new games in the genre imo.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I've mostly been getting my light gun fix with Wii and PS3 Move games (the move has a bit of a lag to it, though).

Been thinking about getting a small CRT for SNES Super Scope Six stuff.

I know there are a couple of light guns in development that are designed to work on modern TVs, but so far they seem pretty limited in terms of which consoles they support.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I still have no idea why Nintendo added an IR sensor to the right joycon if they didn't plan to have a sensor bar accessory or anything. The only thing it's used for is checking your pulse in Ring Fit.

Yeah it's so weird. But maybe that's one of the things they were planning but haven't gotten around to implementing for whatever reason.

It's just waiting for Metroid Prime Trilogy HD's simultaneous release.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a Time Crisis collection on VR, or at least some type of light gun collection.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
I ordered a pair of the Sinden light guns with recoil. Should have them sometime next month if they don't get behind on production. Realized after I ordered that I don't really have a clue what I'm going to use them with.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It did have a Guncon 3 with Time Crisis 4, you had to put these light sensors on straps around your tv with little weights attached to it, because everyone had LCD's by then they had to do some wacky shit.
It also had this weird "half Dualshock" side attached to the gun because for Time Crisis 4 PS3 they added some weird "walk around" version which was different to traditional arcade game.

Guncon-3-sensors-and-game-for-Time-Crisis.jpg

Then Move came out and pretty much replaced it. I don't even know if games which came later like Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil Chronicles, House of the Dead 3 and 4, Deadstorm Pirates were even compatible with the Guncon 3 or not. They may be Move only for all I know.

I remember when the pack with the Guncon 3 and Timecrisis 4 came out, was in very limited supply and very expensive. I remember it being around $200 AUD in stores.
The GunCon3 only works with Time Crisis 4 and Razing Storm, and that's it.
The other ones were Move only, but at least that has the rifle attachment.
Activision also made the Cabela gun for the PS3 for the Big Buck Hunter games, too.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The Sinden light gun goes into a Raspberry Pi where some magic happens to mimic the input needed for the console you're connecting to.

Right now console compatibility for Sinden is a private homebrew affair that we're all waiting on a more packaged system for.
Ah ok. I heard things way back about how they were working on console compatibility. But I thought that meant ~PS3 era. Then posts earlier in this thread mentioned SNES. Sounds like that's not actually the case.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It's used for Labo, which has a VR gun game (though I'm pretty sure the gun aiming is just through gyro, and the IR sensor is for determining the distance to a sticker when 'cocking' the gun). It was fun when I played it for a little bit but the low resolution did make me a bit nauseous. I'd buy a light-gun attachment that actually uses the IR Day 1.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I did some digging since I have the Top Shot Elite gun for the PS3, but haven't used it much.

It needs to be stated publicly SOMEWHERE, regarding the Cabela Top Shot guns, there's 3 platforms.
PS3, Wii and 360. I'm ignoring the Wii as it's just a shell.

There's the Top Shot Classic, Top Shot Elite, Top Shot Fearmaster and Top Shot Sport.
The Classic is the Wii shell. The Elite is the standard one. The Fearmaster is the shotgun that senses your heart rate. The Sport is Kinect-only.
The Elite and Fearmaster work with a sensor bar, exactly like a Wii controller.

I've been able to identify 9 games that allegedly work with the Top Shot Elite, (Not sure about Fearmaster on the earlier titles). One of them apparently says it works with it on the back, but doesn't? I dunno. Guess it's not surprising most of the information on this stuff is from... uhm... less sophisticated sources.

PS3 Top Shot Elite Games:
Cabela's Hunting Expeditions (Some user reviews state otherwise, but could be morons)
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011
Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2012
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013
Cabela's African Adventure
Cabela's Survival: Shadows of Katmai
Cablela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts (VERY hard to find)
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
MIB: Alien Crisis

Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2009 and 2010 were released before the gun existed on the PS3 and 360, so I don't believe it works with those, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. (Someone on eBay is selling the gun with 2010)

So much of this info is REALLY sketchy and hard to verify because Activison just drops all their licensed products constantly. So the Cabela game websites are all vaporized from the internet.
All that's left is one dude that screenshotted the PDF on the Cabela site onto Photobucket.
S3MqnFJ.png

The ONLY other stuff beyond this was the PDP Mars Lightcon. Which by all accounts is REALLY REALLY terrible. That was all both plats, too. (XB1, PS4) Uses a weird camera hub and had 3 games that seem to have made people angry. And I believe just last month they actually took the support site down for it.

Edit: Added MIB: Alien Crisis after checking some things.

Last edited:

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a pair of the Sinden light guns with recoil. Should have them sometime next month if they don't get behind on production. Realized after I ordered that I don't really have a clue what I'm going to use them with.
Same boat here. Contribution ID 4294! Really excited to add them to the pedestal arcade I made. Ordered the holsters as well. (There's a PC inside, the Switch just shares the TV with it)
HVdi6HR.jpeg

Last edited:

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
That looks slick! I've been meaning to toy around with MAME to see what I can figure out before they arrive, but I've just been too swamped with work to give it much time.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting patiently for the Sinden light gun to ship. I had no idea that the Polymega will use the same technology.

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody with a PSVR should check out Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Easily my biggest surprise on the platform, its fantastic.

I'll also Stan for Link's Crossbow training, it's crazy good fun.