• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I was in the other Google thread and...

Spawn Wave put up a video about the Google rumors. I'll update this post with anything interesting.
  • Screenshot of the UI from a dev kit
  • (we knew this already) Two pillars: streaming and a traditional home console, codename Metallurgy
  • Exclusive games using known IPs, funded by Google
  • Designed so games developed for the console will translate easily to streaming service
  • Streaming service will launch before the hardware
  • Currently planning two consoles, one weaker ("Steel") and one stronger ("Titanium")
    • "Steel" could be dropped because of production costs
    • "Titanium" is more powerful than Xbox One X
    • Sleep mode
  • Developers supporting the Google console:
    • Ubisoft
    • SEGA (major revivals)
    • Google's own first-party

I thought Google was only making a streaming console, but according to these rumours they are making a traditional console which sounds like it would compete with Switch/PS4/XONE

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why you are all laughing, Google actually has money.

Unless there is a joke I missed out on.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
A Google console immediately feels like something I wish to actively not-support, but I'm not sure I can eloquently express why exactly.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It will be interesting.

But I bet the console will be abandoned in a few years, streaming is their focus.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
It could be impressive given how much positive reaction Project Stream has gotten.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but having money is not the same thing as needing to waste it. And I don't see how their overall business strategy would benefit from a traditional games console; let alone one positioned to go after the Big Three.

Streaming makes sense for Google. But I'd imagine any traditional box would be discontinued in a year, like many of their other experiments. They are certainly good at trying new things; you have to give them that.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
It will be interesting.

But I bet the console will be abandoned in a few years, streaming is their focus.

Do you guys remember this?

20120828-13191662-onlive-stock-1024-IMG_5243.JPG

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Unless there is a joke I missed out on.
They absolutely suck at building anything of their own. They tend to start projects and abandon them.

Plus another tech giant in the console market is not good for the industry.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A Google console immediately feels like something I wish to actively not-support, but I'm not sure I can eloquently express why exactly.
xbox-one-kinect-meme.jpg

For starters.

You have to be ok with Google advertisement business monetizing you.

They absolutely suck at building anything of their own. They tend to start projects and abandon them.

Plus another tech giant in the console market is not good for the industry.
Their pixel phones are exceptionally stellar...

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm ready for another console Wild West tbh. The 90's were a mess and I want to relive it! I wanna meet that one guy who buys the $900 3D0 equivalent and become his friend to find out it sucks, then when he's like "wanna come over and play 3D0?" I'm like "nah, man. I got stuff to do" and never hang out with him again, but often overhear him talking about Return Fire.

Oct 27, 2017
Google has a story of releasing stuff and forgetting about it a couple of years after. I won't trust a google console or any other product for that matter

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
xbox-one-kinect-meme.jpg

For starters.

You have to be ok with Google advertisement business monetizing you.

Their pixel phones are exceptionally stellar...

Android has done ok, gmail too, maps, etc etc. This nonsense about google being unable to support things long term is wrong. They, like all giant amercian tech cos are creepy as fuck tho.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They may, but Google's attempt to branch outside of their core competence and comfort zone, have, like Apple, been kind of hohum.

At the end of the day, it may just be a glorified streaming or android box that they quietly drop in a few years.
I'm wedded to their ecosystem so I'm ready to jump in whenever. Just not all that optimistic it'll be a fleshed out 'console' in the traditional sense.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Android has done ok, gmail too, maps, etc etc. This nonsense about google being unable to support things long term is wrong. They, like all giant amercian tech cos are creepy as fuck tho.

And they can be kinda assholes and don't allow XCloud and other services on Android, only their service

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Google is perfect for gaming.

They will know everything about gamers and be able to deliver the best and most accurate hints and guides not to mention the best racist and sexist YT recommendations.

Oct 25, 2017
A new giant entering the console space is always interesting but I guess a bit scary too.
Don't think the industry can support "the big 4", imagine one or two consoles would suffer in the process if they find success

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's Android based. Unless they have an incredible new development in those ARM processors. It'll fall squarely into the super niche. Unless they somehow integrate project stream seemlessly or something at a reasonable price.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting times ahead.

While some are so focused on streaming, Google comes and also drop a traditional console?

Lmao.

SEGA on board supporting this would be very interesting.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they going to end-of-life it after 2 years like the other 80% of their products?

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Not even semi prepared. Google making a traditional console without blockbuster games would be a spectacular failure.

Nov 23, 2017
DOA even if the exclusive game line up is Sonic Adventure 3, Watch Dogs 3, Jet Set Radio 3, and Panzer Dragon Saga remake plus a full sequel lol

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A new giant entering the console space is always interesting but I guess a bit scary too.
Don't think the industry can support "the big 4", imagine one or two consoles would suffer in the process if they find success
The gaming industry as a whole already supports the big 5. Mobile gaming as a business is too big too ignore. Because of mobile gaming the traditional industry has shifted more and more to whale hunting models.

Traditional console gaming can easily support a big 4.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I'm all for another competitor in the market. It's been awhile. Last serious entry was Microsoft like 15 years ago.

Will be interesting to see if it can compete. If it doesn't have the other big third parties like 2K/TakeTwo, EA, Bethesda etc it would be tough to choose over PS/Xbox.

If it's releasing before the PS5 and next Xbox, it will be in a tough spot, seeing as it will end up less powerful and might not necessarily have the third party support the others have.

"More powerful than Xbox One X" doesn't mean much when the successors are due within the next 1-2 years.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nobody is taking it seriously until they see it because every time something like this happens it's like... a way to play phone games poorly on your TV.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Google moneyhatted Splinter Cell? I could imagine them moneyhatting Watch_Dogs 3 for the sheer irony of it.