• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I finished Demon's Souls on PS5 yesterday and the next game in my list was Jedi Fallen Order, I just started that game today, got to the first planet and all good, game runs nicely on PS5 (besides the stutters, that occur more often than I'd like), but I got to this sort of miniboss that I want to beat and every time I respawn after it destroys me, it takes like 40+ seconds for the game to load... unlike in Demon's Souls which took like 2-4 seconds.

Man, I didn't realize how necessary cutting down loading times was until now.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Thats how I felt going from Demons to Bloodborne and DS3 right after. Atleast DS3 ran at 60fps on PS5, which i didnt even know was a thing.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I just measured it. It takes a whole fucking minute to respawn! Yeah no, I'll try beating this fucker later, when I'm stronger as I assume that's how it's intended and I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Remember how people used to insist that loading times were a necessary part of the Dark Souls experience? To put the fear of God into each of your runs

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I just measured it. It takes a whole fucking minute to respawn! Yeah no, I'll try beating this fucker later, when I'm stronger as I assume that's how it's intended and I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty.

Series S seems to take about 15 seconds from what I recall. This is on the internal SSD on PS5 right? That seems off.

And if it's Oggdo Bogdo then yeh, come back later.

DaVeed

Banned
Jun 21, 2020
I finished Demon's Souls on PS5 yesterday and the next game in my list was Jedi Fallen Order, I just started that game today, got to the first planet and all good, game runs nicely on PS5 (besides the stutters, that occur more often than I'd like), but I got to this sort of miniboss that I want to beat and every time I respawn after it destroys me, it takes like 40+ seconds for the game to load... unlike in Demon's Souls which took like 2-4 seconds.

Man, I didn't realize how necessary cutting down loading times was until now.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I beat Demons Souls a couple of weeks ago and wanted to try out Fallen Order after the next gen update was released. Got to the mini boss and must've died at least 15 times and that was the first time where the loading times really started to bother me. I noticed that the load times would vary even though I'm respawning in the same area. Some times it would take only 10 seconds whereas other times it was noticeably longer.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just 100% Jedi tonight after doing Demon's Souls myself. Its a stark difference for sure although I never ran into that wall much as I never really died.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Series S seems to take about 15 seconds from what I recall. This is on the internal SSD on PS5 right? That seems off.

And if it's Oggdo Bogdo then yeh, come back later.
It seemed variable, at times it'd take like 20 secs and the one time I measured it it took a full minute. Gonna check the vid you posted above. I only died because I wanted to beat this guy, doesn't seem like I'll be dying a lot going by what I've played so far.

Just beat that guy like a couple of minutes after I asked lol, I keep forgetting to use the slow skill.

Aug 10, 2019
You don't. It's disabled during invasions, but otherwise it works normally including when you're connected online and otherwise open to invasion (which is how it always should have been).
The "easiest" thing to do is to disable the button in multiplayer sessions.

Nioh has that function.
giphy.gif

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed variable, at times it'd take like 20 secs and the one time I measured it took a full minute.
Just best that guy like a couple of minutes after I asked lol, I keep forgetting to use the slow skill.

Well that is odd. Good job though. Killing that thing was one of the last things I did in the game, by which time it was a piece of cake.

Hopefully the loading doesn't ruin your enjoyment. I'm replaying it on Series S after having beaten it on PC a couple weeks ago because I liked it so much.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I beat Demons Souls a couple of weeks ago and wanted to try out Fallen Order after the next gen update was released. Got to the mini boss and must've died at least 15 times and that was the first time where the loading times really started to bother me. I noticed that the load times would vary even though I'm respawning in the same area. Some times it would take only 10 seconds whereas other times it was noticeably longer.
Yeah that was my experience after I started measuring. Sometimes it'd take a minute, other times it'd take 20 seconds even though I'm respawning in the same area.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Same boat here OP. I got to the next section and just stopped playing. The way he moves feels so weird to me
I don't know how that running animation made it to the final game and was never fixed, for real... it's the one thing that will never stop baffling me about this game.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
SSD loading is a game changer , even if PS5 looked the same graphically compared to the PS4 the loading would still make me happy.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

That's wild, I'm playing on XSX right now and it's nowhere near a minute. Longer than 4-5 secs for sure, but I'd guess like 10-15? Haven't timed it. Anyway there's no reason for PS5 to take that long to respawn, maybe it's a bug or a weird back compat behavior or something.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BC aren't programmed to fully take advantage of the PS5 when it comes to load times. They can be better but nothing like Xbox's BC.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That's wild, I'm playing on XSX right now and it's nowhere near a minute. Longer than 4-5 secs for sure, but I'd guess like 10-15? Haven't timed it. Anyway there's no reason for PS5 to take that long to respawn, maybe it's a bug or a weird back compat behavior or something.
Seems to be very variable even if you spawn in the same area. Sometimes it took 20 seconds or something, but the first time I bothered to measure it it was a full minute. Yeah, very weird and I'm playing from the internal SSD. And yeah, I know this game doesn't take full advantage of it, but still...

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
SSD is a huge QoL improvement when it comes to this sort of things. I can't imagine doing things like the time trials in Astro's Playroom if it had to load every time.

I remember having to go into a zen state when I was trying to get Ultimate rankings in all the Taskmaster challenges in Spider-Man. I probably spent more total minutes in loading screens than playing the game during each of those.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Seems to be very variable even if you spawn in the same area. Sometimes it took 20 seconds or something, but the first time I bothered to measure it it was a full minute. Yeah, very weird and I'm playing from the internal SSD. And yeah, I know this game doesn't take full advantage of it, but still...

Glad it's not a minute every time but still... Maybe after last week's update there's still hope for a small patch? :-/ Doesn't sound like this is a general problem for BC games.

vypermajik

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I did not like this game.
Poncho unlocks?! Gtfo.
Stupid loading timesand hitches even on pc (m.2 and 2080TI)
The ending. Not the amazing cameo, the mcguffin and what you do with it.
Great framework but missing a lot imo.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I literally reduced the difficulty in games before just because the loading times were so long. So I know what you mean, even though I haven't experienced such long loading in FO (didn't play on PS5).

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Thats how I felt going from Demons to Bloodborne and DS3 right after. Atleast DS3 ran at 60fps on PS5, which i didnt even know was a thing.
DS3 got unlocked framerate on PS4 Pro which was messy back then but runs nicely on PS5 now. Sadly the Xbox version is still stuck at 30.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
I just beat Jedi right after Demons Souls as well.
You're right that Jedi has long load times even on PS5, although having played a bunch of ps4 games on the 5 I've found Jedi is the only one that didn't really load faster or take a consistent time to load.

So it might be a Jedi thing.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
40+ seconds? Ooof, that's long.
I played through it on Stadia and I think it was just 5-10 seconds to re-load. I don't think I would have beaten the final boss if I had to wait almost a minute every time I died.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Git gud

Jk you're right. Playing through it for the first time too and the load times really suck

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Lol oggdo bogdo
That guy also got me aquainted with the loading screen on Sunday.

I'm playing it on the series S and I swear there's no real consistency behind the variation in load times I've experienced so far.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Takes just 5-6 sec on my PC with a worse SSD and CPU than what PS5 and SX have.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
I beat the game on series x last week and I think it didn't take that long to respawn. Maybe 20 - 25 seconds max? But yeah, pretty inconsistent on loading times

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Remember how people used to insist that loading times were a necessary part of the Dark Souls experience? To put the fear of God into each of your runs
Nah I don't really remember that. I do remember it being said the loading gives you time to compose yourself, reassess the situation / fight leading to your death, and maybe work out a way to tackle the situation though.

But forget all that. I'm loving DS PS5 load times. It's much more fun when you can just jump right back into the level and the action.