• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
So, Borderlands 2 and Presequel on Steam just got an update that was ostensibly for the purpose of adding crossplay between Steam and EGS. However, they also snuck in a massive full-screen add for BL3 that can be accessed from the main menu.

okj2NmVh.jpg

I won't be positing a screenshot, because it's obnoxious as fuck and I'm not helping Randy Pitchford advertise BL3 on Resetera. What I will be talking about is all the ways this update broke the games.

First and foremost, the games now run like shit across the board. Previously, even a potato PC could run these games at 60 frames per second. (though, veterans will tell you that the trying to run them at higher framerates is a non-starter even on top of the line PCs.) Now there's massive lag spikes, crashes, and even blue-screens. Oh, and they also broke all existing mods for the games, because of course they did.

And finally, I should mention that that fancy new crossplay between Steam and EGS came at the cost of crossplay between PC and MAC/Linux. And it also requires a brand new account through Gearbox's Shift service. (A fitting name for a company with a CEO as shifty as Gearbox's). All of this combined is why the games' ratings on Steam have crashed from Overwhelmingly Positive/Very Positive to Mixed. Whoops!

So, TLDR: two of the best Co-op games on PC, which more people than ever would probably be playing in the near future while being shut indoors on account of the COVID-19 pandemic, are now broken as fuck on PC. Bravo, Randy. You really outdid yourself this time.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Now there's massive lag spikes, crashes, and even blue-screens. Oh, and they also broke all existing mods for the game, because of course they did.

GOD DAMMIT I WAS GONNA DL BL2 WITH SOME MODS TODAY ...WHAT ARE ODDS ? ARHGGHHH ...

now i'm actually bummed.

sigh

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that the upgrade broke the game, but they will fix this. They made it in good intention. Or is there anything wrong about crossplay between EGS and Steam? Sucks that Mac/Linux isn't supported anymore though.

I don't see anything wrong with the Borderlands 3 "add" to be honest. And yeah, Borderlands 3 is so much better than 2, you should "shift" if you can ;-)

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Fucking hell.
I can't wait for the Jim Sterling video for this one.

Oct 29, 2017
Patch has been out for a few weeks. Only B3 is on EGS. Update was to move everyone to their own matchmaking service. And it currently sucks ass.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
the new account is needed just for cross play or anything?

the game ran pretty good on my laptop,i'll have to remember bot to bother if i get the itch (or just use the ps+ ps4 version)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that the upgrade broke the game, but they will fix this. They made it in good intention. Or is there anything wrong about crossplay between EGS and Steam? Sucks that Mac/Linux isn't supported anymore though.

I don't see anything wrong with the Borderlands 3 "add" to be honest. And yeah, Borderlands 3 is so much better than 2, you should "shift" if you can ;-)

There's something wrong in breaking two games that were working because one launcher wants to make its way on the market.
All of that to add cross play on one platform that is supposed. Cross play for a single platform. Crazy world.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I just don't get the corporate defending and the ''they'll fix it later!'' mentality that plagues this forum.

Those companies have no clue that you even exist.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just refunded BL3 on Steam. Gearbox gotta do better.

It wasn't for this though, I just don't think I'mma play it tbh

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I was playing the Lilith DLC yesterday and did notice anything weird, ad aside, had no crashes either. Well, guess the button glyph tweak disappeared but that was expected with an update.

And it also requires a brand new account through Gearbox's Shift service. (A fitting name for a company with a CEO as shifty as Gearbox's).
C'mon now, the Shift codes exist since forever.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So i tried bl2 and now it runs like ...well the reason why i refunded part 3. Runs like ass.

The hell did they do here

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Randy and Timmy, a match made in heaven. Not surprised to see them fuck up once again.

Oct 25, 2017
That would be odd, seeing as those games aren't on EGS, even now. Did Gearbox say that?
It was stated on the update notes:
The February 27 Patch for Borderlands 2 includes a matchmaking update that adds support for future crossplay between PC platforms. It also adds a new menu for matchmaking and SHiFT account maintenance.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Borderlands 2 :: Borderlands 2 February 27 Patch Notes

The February 27 Patch for Borderlands 2 includes a matchmaking update that adds support for future crossplay between PC platforms. It also adds a new menu for matchmaking and SHiFT account maintenance.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
There's something wrong in breaking two games that were working because one launcher wants to make its way on the market.
All of that to add cross play on one platform that is supposed. Cross play for a single platform. Crazy world.

I don't want to necessarily defend Gearbox's particular implementation here if they did a crappy job of it and regressed existing game functionality, but if publisher specific accounts are the price that we have to pay for full cross-play and cross-save, then it's a minor annoyance that I'm more than willing to put up with going forward. Say what you will about EGS (and believe me, i'm completely on the hate train regarding their exclusivity tactics) but we SHOULD be advocating for a future state where any arbitrary platform or storefront can seamlessly cross play with others.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to necessarily defend Gearbox's particular implementation here if they did a crappy job of it and regressed existing game functionality, but if publisher specific accounts are the price that we have to pay for full cross-play and cross-save, then it's a minor annoyance that I'm more than willing to put up with going forward. Say what you will about EGS (and believe me, i'm completely on the hate train regarding their exclusivity tactics) but we SHOULD be advocating for a future state where any arbitrary platform or storefront can seamlessly cross play with others.

Thing is, it's not seamlessly. Ideally, we shouldn't even have to worry about crossplay between PCs. Yet, here we are.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Counter-argument: different storefronts should not require "cross play" at all. It's the same game on the same platform.

So what's your alternative there? Unless you're just advocating that everything should on Steam and nothing else, the reality is that the social networks are tied to storefronts, so there will necessarily need to be a middleman there.

Oct 25, 2017
So what's your alternative there? Unless you're just advocating that everything should on Steam and nothing else, the reality is that the social networks are tied to storefronts, so there will necessarily need to be a middleman there.
Plenty of games had and have online multiplayer not tied to storefronts. What do you mean "what's your alternative".

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Plenty of games had and have online multiplayer not tied to storefronts. What do you mean "what's your alternative".

Sure, and those all used either a third party or publisher provided matchmaking/account service, or else just used old school peer-2-peer lobbies. Realistically, I don't see the latter having a resurgence, so the former is what we have to look forward to going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I feel silly now, doing a quick test after downgrading the game, the difference in performance is night and day. Phaselocking enemies was legit dropping the game to single digits before.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
We need something like Gamespy back. But that was paid by developers, and shut down after a while.

Another would be using Games for Windows Live servers... lol.

Steam offers a lot, but obviously tied to Steam.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Randy Pitchford sucks, but he doesn't single-handedly do everything at Gearbox. It's stupid to immediately jump to him when the company does something you dislike.

...and they used a separate own account system, just like Gearbox is doing here.

Oct 25, 2017
...and they used a separate own account system, just like Gearbox is doing here.
Oh yeah, all the accounts I had to play Diablo 2 outside of bnet, Soldat, CS....
Obviously it's not viable for every single game, but to say this is the only way to all games too is also weird to say the least. In the case of Borderlands, there's zero need for me to connect to whatever server if all I want is to play co-op with my cousin every now and then.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, all the accounts I had to play Diablo 2 outside of bnet, Soldat, CS....
Obviously it's not viable for every single game, but to say this is the only way to all games too is also weird to say the least. In the case of Borderlands, there's zero need for me to connect to whatever server if all I want is to play co-op with my cousin every now and then.
...you did have accounts for those games though. D2 had B.net, CS had GameSpy (later Steam with 1.6), etc.

Without some sort of account system there'd be no easy way to link you up with your cousin besides sharing IP addresses.

OP
OP

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Randy Pitchford sucks, but he doesn't single-handedly do everything at Gearbox. It's stupid to immediately jump to him when the company does something you dislike.

Come on, don't be this way. Nobody here legitimately thinks the CEO does everything at a big company. Or do you think people are also serious when they respond to something being fucked up with the latest iphone/imacbook/etc by posting "thank you, Tim Apple."

That being said, Randy Pitchford had the final say on when to release this patch, and Randy is infamous for giving the green light to releasing broken, buggy pieces of shit, and also making awful corporate-level decisions... like telling the developers of the latest patch to axe Mac and Linux crossplay support in favor of EGS, as he almost certainly did.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, don't be this way. Nobody here legitimately thinks the CEO does everything at a big company. Or do you think people are also serious when they respond to something being fucked up with the latest iphone/imacbook/etc by posting "thank you, Tim Apple."

That being said, Randy Pitchford had the final say on when to release this patch, and Randy is infamous for giving the green light to releasing broken, buggy pieces of shit, and also making awful corporate-level decisions... like telling the developers of the latest patch to axe Mac and Linux crossplay support in favor of EGS, as he almost certainly did.
I've never gotten the impression that Randy Pitchford himself was so brilliant and instrumental to Gearbox that every major decision flowed through him. It's quite possible that he had absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

I literally did not but ok.
You literally did if you played online. You would have had to if you wanted to play online with a friend. That's... how online multiplayer works. How do you think you partied up with your cousin? This is basic stuff.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know OP, you don't have to go full on "Bitch eating crackers" to get your point across.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
That sucks. Hope they fix it or at least offer a way to go back to the old build.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You literally did if you played online. You would have had to if you wanted to play online with a friend. That's... how online multiplayer works. How do you think you partied up with your cousin? This is basic stuff.
GameSpy had nothing to do with Counterstrike. You're talking about WON (World Opponent Network).