• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will FF XVI or FF VIIR pt. 2 be on PS4?

• FF XVI will but FF VIIR pt. 2 will not

• FF VIIR pt.2 will but FF XVI will not

• Neither game will appear on PS4

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
It surprises me that some people here think Square Enix thought about the Japanese Final Fantasy fanbase when negotiating with Sony.

Any negotiation between Sony and SE must have been based on the potential of a worldwide performance, japan and home consoles divorced a while ago and Sony is ok with that, they don't seem to care about their PS4 and PS5 hardware numbers there, also Square Enix must have noticed by now that Sony doesn't care and continue not caring about Japan.

to summarize, if you negotiate ANYTHING with Sony, then you should consider Japan a non-factor

If Square cares about Japan, then they are preparing a Switch version of FFVI for the switch pro or whatever as we speak otherwise.

as for cross-gen, I can see it being a year exclusive to PS5 and then coming complete with DLC to PS4/X1/SwitchPro/PC. either way, no chance in hell it stays exclusive for life.

Last edited:

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
If XVI is this year or early in the next it's cross gen for sure and that is not bad. The game is action based and on PS5 it will easily be 60fps.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
It surprises me that some people here think Sony cares about the Japanese Final Fantasy fanbase.

Any negotiation between Sony and SE must have been based on the potential of a worldwide performance, japan and home consoles divorced a while ago and Sony is ok with that, they don't seem to care about their PS4 and PS5 hardware numbers there, also Square Enix must notice Sony doesn't care about Japan.

to summarize, if you negotiate ANYTHING with Sony, then you should consider Japan a non-factor

If Square cares about Japan, then they are preparing a Switch version of FFVI for the switch pro or whatever as we speak otherwise.

as for cross-gen, I can see it being a year exclusive to PS5 and then coming complete with DLC to PS4/X1/SwitchPro/PC. either way, no chance in hell it stays exclusive for life.

FFVI will not light the charts on fire, a remake that would in Japan might be DQ3 Remake. However, new titles are more likely to sell more than remakes.

No one is expecting FFXVI to stay exclusive at all ,but releasing on old gen after a year isn't really a smart idea. The install base would probably be big enough at 2023 ( that's if the game releases 2022 on PS5).

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
If PS5 doesn't start picking up pace in Japan, I'd assume all of these listed games will be on PS4 as well.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Neither will be on PS4

BUT

I fully believe FF16 started as a PS4 game abs wouldn't even be surprised if they did a turn-around like RE: Village (yes that was technically PS4 first but you know what I mean).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's not just Japan, any next gen exclusive in 2021 is going to have trouble making big numbers.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.playstation.com

The best PS5 games - new, pre-order & upcoming | PlayStation

Discover the best games to play on PS5 and VR2, including our newest exclusives and exciting indies, out now or available for pre-order.

FFXVI is under the PS5 console exclusive table here and not on the PS console exclusive one (scroll down, they are separated), so its 100% next gen only, unless if they port it later lol. Same as Athia.
FF7 Remake part 2 will release after FFXVI so it will definitely be next gen only as well.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think either game will be on PS4. But while it'll allow FFXVI to take further advantage of the PS5, it'll likely come at the cost of sales this early on in the generation.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So how is everyone feeling about this now that we know we are not getting more XVI news until this spring with a possible late 2022 or even 2023 date?

I still think both XVI and FF7R Part 2 will be current gen only.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
So how is everyone feeling about this now that we know we are not getting more XVI news until this spring with a possible late 2022 or even 2023 date?

FF7R Part 2 might skip PS4 IF Intergrade on PS5 was actually worth it to Square Enix.

FFXVI? Yeah that's coming to PS4

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

This is where I'm at. Forspoken is PS5 only so XVI should be as well. Remake Part 1 already was pushing the PS4 to the limit and could only do the first two hours of the original game. If they want to let you explore all of Midgar it needs to be on PS5.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I'll still hope for both on PS4, though if both will come out in 2023 and 2024 the chances are rather low at this point, lower than when this thread was opened for sure

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
No way they are releasing cross gen this late in the game, doesn't make sense.

There will be close to 30m ps5's out by the time this comes out

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

They didn't even bother putting the Yuffie DLC on PS4, so VIIR Part 2 skipping PS4 seems like a foregone conclusion. Before that happened, I would've pictured it being cross-gen.

I never expected XVI to be cross-gen.
This is where I'm at. Forspoken is PS5 only so XVI should be as well. Remake Part 1 already was pushing the PS4 to the limit and could only do the first two hours of the original game. If they want to let you explore all of Midgar it needs to be on PS5.
I rather doubt that the plan was to ever include exploring all of Midgar. Featuring more of the city would be a matter of the amount of time and resources they would be willing to devote to such padding more than hardware power.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
They didn't even bother putting the Yuffie DLC on PS4, so VIIR Part 2 skipping PS4 seems like a foregone conclusion. Before that happened, I would've pictured it being cross-gen.

I never expected XVI to be cross-gen.

I rather doubt that the plan was to ever include exploring all of Midgar. Featuring more of the city would be a matter of the amount of time and resources they would be willing to devote to such padding more than hardware power.

I messed up my statement. I meant the planet, not just Midgar.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neither game on PS4. I think we're finally getting out of the transitionary time between consoles. Especially with these games being several years out it only closes that window more and more.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I messed up my statement. I meant the planet, not just Midgar.

I'm still not convinced that they will make FF7R 2 and beyond open world. It will probably be larger more open zones like their previous games. My prediction is that the game's world design will be influenced by Lightning Returns, meaning large seamless areas that have less corridors than FF7R 1 was.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Pretty clear SE have made a break with last gen for their big games, obviously the smaller, lower budget stuff will still come but FF7R getting PS5 only DLC pretty much sealed it and whatever Sony is paying for the exclusivity makes up for any potential loss in sales between now and when it comes to PC/XSX down the line (plus whatever budget they save on PS4/last gen versions of the game) - and honestly i think they like having more room for better visuals and performance and fulfill their vision and just optimizing for a single platform as much as possible

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
whatever it is, Sony will find a way to fuck over anyone who doesn't own a PS5.

this is one of the reasons I don't want to support them with PS+ subs anymore. that revenue is being used to block everyone else from enjoying FF when it should be used to make new games, improve PS+/PSN/PSnow

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the next mainline DQ will be cross gen?

this is one of the reasons I don't want to support them with PS+ subs anymore. that revenue is being used to block everyone else from enjoying FF when it should be used to make new games, improve PS+/PSN/PSnow
lol they are improving PS+/PSN/PSNow you are literally getting Discord integration next year as well as that rumoured Spartacus Program. On top of that they have multiple first party MP games in the works as well as established a steady stream of tournaments that anyone can sign up in and have already said they had a long list of request that people want that they said they want to tackle in a recent PS Blog this year.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

I am confused. Block who? And what does PSPlus have to do with Final fantasy? Or is this about that messy FF Remake situation?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Intermission isn't even on PS4 it's hard to see 7R Part 2 being on it. They seem to have moved on.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
A lot of folks think that it is not coming.

My two cents?.. I think if it was coming, they would have mentioned it at after the reveal in the press release or by now. This message today referenced just the PS5 version. So it will be PS5 only.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It's easy to tell from Yoshida words in previous interviews that XVI has been in development for a loooong time now, so it most likely started as a PS4 game.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it'll either be cross-gen or it'll be a Switch 2 exclusive.
A mainline DQ being a Switch 2 exclusive? That is a bold prediction. I have no clue what platforms it will release in the end but I would just have found it odd to release it on PS4 and Xbox One during 2024 or beyond. I don't think it will release in 2023.