• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
No. I don't even really like any of the main cast. About the kindest criticism I can give to the cast is that I think Ignis is okay. Uh, I suppose the main cast looks good compared to Final Fantasy XV's supporting cast, the latter of which is one of the worst I've seen in any game.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those saying no, can you answer have you played FFXV again after all the patches or was this on release? If just once at release, I want to suggest replaying the game again now that all the patching is done. New dialogue was added, the boy band really feels human in their interactions.

Elaborating at my previous post, at launch, no. After all the patches (final patch came out when final DLC came out), probably the most human-like cast in the franchise.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I love the bromance between the boys but it's somewhat one note. A great road trip but not really delving into the relationships between the boys. There are better and more complex relationships in the main cast elsewhere.

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
For those saying no, can you answer have you played FFXV again after all the patches or was this on release? If just once at release, I want to suggest replaying the game again now that all the patching is done. New dialogue was added, the boy band really feels human in their interactions.

Elaborating at my previous post, at launch, no. After all the patches (final patch came out when final DLC came out), probably the most human-like cast in the franchise.

Yes, and still the amount of nothing happens. Still makes the weak cast of the bro'slacking in the grand scheme of FF's plots.

They can feel human, but just every other FF out there does it better. They don't ever feel like weak tagalongs, like FFXV's bro's made me feel. There were subplots inside of the game's story, that weren't completely optional.

All they got is funny synergy, but that gets stale.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my second fucking beer tonight and FF15 is one of 2 games I have platinumed, the other the lego lotr game.

Can't even think of the main characters name.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
IX, Tactics and X have the best cast. Haven't played VII yet, but XV has no place at the top.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on people but mostly I didn't like the cast. Noctis I did like, but nowhere near my favorite MC. I hated Prompto, dislike Galdio a lot. Ignis was cool and I liked him.
So basically out of 4 total cast, I liked 2 and hated 2. Nowhere near my favorite overall cast in Final Fantasy..

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That would go to VI or IX

And this is coming from someone who has triple dipped, and even 100% XV on all 3 platforms

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
FF6 is the best cast, but I absolutely love the cast of FFXV and the camaraderie they showed. I loved the showing not telling moments with teh dialogue in battles. It really felt like aventuring with bros, and it's in my top 5 FFs because of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
FFXV definitely has one of the best groups of party members in the series, and I say that as someone who was very ready to hate them. I loved all of the banter while exploring various dungeons and that camp scene at the end? Very touching.

Oct 25, 2017
The quality of a cast is more than just their banter.
Their backstories and development in game also matter.
FFXV is easily among the worst of the main series.
It beats FFI, since FFI basically doesn't have a cast. Aranea puts it above FFIII barely.
The rest are miles above it.
As much as I like the banter and synergy of the party, they're barely developed as characters.

Nov 1, 2017
The FFXV cast is only a notch above the FF3 cast, the banter is cute but I didn't feel like there was any depth to it at all.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is he second worst take I've ever seen on this site. First place was also this week. Also Final Fantasy related.

What the hell is going on?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Felt emotion and cared about the FFXIV cast more than I have with the XV cast that's for sure.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close. They couldn't even develop the majority of characters in one game. Even for underdeveloped characters in other games they at least had standout visuals and charming personalities that made them memorable. Ignis is the only one I truly liked a lot from that game. Noctis was okay and the other two were awful, especially Gladio.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
I saw the thread title and thought all hope in humanity was lost. Then a quick look at the thread and hope has been restored.

Well there are a few crazies here and there, as expected.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Personally find them one of the worst.

They're so boring. They've all known each other for years, so there's no significant tension or character development between them for the majority of the game. Worst still because they're basically glorified servants for Noctis they don't really have any significant competing motivations and they all just sort of go with the flow most of the time which robs us of any drama.

Aranea is the game's best character by a mile and she's just incredibly underused.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Easily one of the worst for me.
The bros just feel like hanger-ons with no real motivation or drive of their own.
I never touched the DLC though.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played 10, 12 and 15 to completion and 15 definitely had the dullest, least colorful, least intriguing and least diverse main cast of those 3.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Felt emotion and cared about the FFXIV cast more than I have with the XV cast that's for sure.
Not to mention they did the Ardyn character and sub plot better than FFXV did :P

Yes, and still the amount of nothing happens. Still makes the weak cast of the bro'slacking in the grand scheme of FF's plots.

They can feel human, but just every other FF out there does it better. They don't ever feel like weak tagalongs, like FFXV's bro's made me feel. There were subplots inside of the game's story, that weren't completely optional.

All they got is funny synergy, but that gets stale.
And if we're going to do the "banter equals character" games like Xenoblade and others do it better lol

The idea that DLC will fix it (that makes you buy into the optional quests that people just peace out on in the story makes me laugh too) is also laughable, as it is everytime people try to say "the game is finished now! They fixed it!"

I played the Royal Edition from start to finish and could STILL feel the cut content as I played through the game and was ferried along through events I had no investment in, and no amount of "sad boys at a campsite" or "lol they joke together" changes that.

To reply direct, from a storytelling perspective ignoring personal preferences for a moment being "human" or having "good moments" is a trick. A common trick often used by bad story tellers to trick audiences into thinking more happened than what actually did. What you do (and bad television does this often) is queue up the music, time the edits right, have people give a heartfelt speech, and then voila, instant investment from the normal audience members.

Movies, TV, games, etc (especially Nomura's titles at Square) focus heavily on the "get you in the feels" without the logic or actions or story to back it up. It's why an entire generation of gamers can be invested in the tutorial character (Roxas) of KH2. If you edit well and time the music right people can believe anything is emotional.

When Noctis is crying, or getting teary at the end, what emotional investment do you have as a player that isn't being forced upon you? What story writing elements invoked any sense of investment? Why should we care about Noct's journey when so much of it happened without our input or without us even being involved? When the answers to your emotional investment don't involve actual writing from the plot and are just either insinuations or assumptions it shows the cracks in the writing tenfold.

To pretend like the cast is even "human" is a stretch as there are often leaps of logic, constant questionable decisions made, and bad character developments.

Ignoring characters like Gladio who is so bipolar it hurts sometimes, you have Prompto who is a constant dweeb and waste of oxygen making quips that everyone begrudgingly puts up with and then when his biggest character defining moment happens? It's off screen and hand waved by 2 lines of dialogue. When Ardyn the clearly evil bad man comes into the picture not one of these morons thinks to question it. When Gladio says "Peace out my dudes I gotta go run an errand. I know our kingdom is dead and all but it's important" everyone is like "sure thing bro."

The moments may be nice, but the writing doesn't back them up. It's why FFXV's story is hollow through and through. It's why you can have the most beautiful cinematic a computer can make and money can buy about a character named Luna and no one gives a fraction of a shit that she died because she wasn't even a character.

Emotionless? Just wondering did you sleep at the motels, or camps because there are hidden scenes in there. There's also the dlc and anime episodes.
This is the problem. The fact that DLC and anime episodes are needed to get "invested" in the cast in the first place. Or have to go out of your way to get...character development at all. To act like this is a selling point is terrible.

The motels and camp scenes are some of the few highlights in the game sure, but they're tepid at best and most of the development in your post isn't stated or even really insinuated in the main campaign and you have to trudge through the terribly boring terribly mundane open world and go out of your way to do things in order to "Find" those moments, much like the rest of the game and its DLC/Anime.

I'd say most of your post are all things I didn't get out of the game and I played the Royal Version. The fat thing with Prompto? Only in the anime. Noctis's role? Maybe from the trailers? The scene with him and Luna as kids maybe...? He's upset about his dad dying and stuff sure but like what is he even going to be a king of and why should we care about it? Ignis may be more fleshed out but aside from the blinding (which also hilariously happens off screen and no questions are really asked about it sans a throwaway line) never really becomes more. The trip down the swamp or whatever it was dealing with him being blind was actually really well done I'll give you that though.

Like you talk about Noctis like there are big pieces of the scenery where they talk about him coming into his "role" as king but no one even knows what that means or really why it's important and even by the ending he just kinda gets puppet mastered by a obviously evil bad man. The best parts of Noctis were when he showed slight depth of character when the fishing scenes happened, but even those were few and far between.

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I quite like Prompto and Ignis, Noct is one of my favorite protagonists in the series, but man, does Gladiolus really drag them all down imho.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
I actually liked the main four of FFXV a bit. If you compare them to JRPG casts outside of Final Fantasy, they're solid.

Within FF they're probably bottom half though.

Also, ITT I saw multiple people say Freya was a pointless character. This is no good people.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
FF14's cast blow's FF15's Backstreet Boys Rejects out of the water and into another solar system. Fuck no it doesn't.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I will say it's interesting thanks to Shadowbringers hearing all the love for FFXIV now. Not that the forum hated it before but it's nice to see it.