• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It was the most polished AAA game I've played in years.

We played rather different games if you're not joking. It's not the worst out there, but I've certainly had many AAA games that didn't have that level of visual bugs/issues, and most AAA games don't require me to repeat hours of content because of soft lock bug.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you are probably going to get a update free for the PS4 version in PS5.

But i believe they are going to release a "special edition" with new features like
Photo mode
New battles
60fps.
For PS5.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I'm pretty sure all it's saying is mindshare about the game would get around further in general if pretty pictures were trending everywhere

I misread. Thanks for clarifying.
Still though — is photo mode a big vector for spreading word about a game? Like, do people take and share photos a lot? I assumed they were taking and keeping them for themselves by and large. I imagine there's some promotion the game benefits from when people share, but I would guess it's negligible.

I've never seen a shared photo from a photo mode in any of my socials, and have a lots of friends who game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Game came out, sold a lot and they probably need all hands on deck for the next one. Makes sense to me

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Unless you are one of the people that get swallowed by a progress breaking bug and lose hours of work and/or story progress.

If the game were in fact in a perfect place, sure, but there are bugs, QOL, and polish issues that are very much justified in being addressed. Or at a minimum publicly acknowledged so players can be warned to avoid.

Not trying to dismiss any potential issues you may have had with the game, but I am sure these bugs and issues have to be pretty rare. I say that as someone who has played the game 2-3 times, and watched 4 other people play it as well, with 3 of them finishing it to completion, and none of them ran into any bugs.

Yes...I was a bit obsessed with the game when it released. That being said games used to release back in the day, and never received patches or updates. If the game shipped with some bugs it normally wouldn't ruin the experience all too much.

Its may be sad, but I've grown up with glitchy games. Thats why I usually save with at least 2 different slots in case the game decides to break on me.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It is actually quitte the surprise, because there are definitely things that can be fixed/improved or new features added.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
It's my disappointment of the year imo. So much potential. Lack of updates is truly bizarre. hopefully a PS5 update is in the works

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I'll give them credit for releasing a game intact in 2020 that doesn't require patching.
Thanks for the tip about the PS5 version.

It has a few game breaking bugs in my opinion and lots of functional smaller bugs.

It's at travesty that it still hasn't been patched or updated yet. If there waiting so they can release the updated FVII Remastered Remake version then Square are a disgusting sleazy developer.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly a bit sad we got no post launch support as it's my GoTG, but at the same time I'm okay with it.

However if they do bring out a PS5 version I really hope they add a seventh weapon as that open slot is killing me...also Advent Costumes and I will drop full price SE.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not trying to dismiss any potential issues you may have had with the game, but I am sure these bugs and issues have to be pretty rare. I say that as someone who has played the game 2-3 times, and watched 4 other people play it as well, with 3 of them finishing it to completion, and none of them ran into any bugs.

Yes...I was a bit obsessed with the game when it released. That being said games used to release back in the day, and never received patches or updates. If the game shipped with some bugs it normally wouldn't ruin the experience all too much.

Its may be sad, but I've grown up with glitchy games. Thats why I usually save with at least 2 different slots in case the game decides to break on me.
I mean from this thread alone there are around a half dozen people or more that have spoken about experiencing the bug. And it's a completely repeatable bug, it appears seemingly baked in. If you listen in on the second vent at the Shinra building it will not let you back out and you have to shut the game off and restart at your last save. Which given the sudden sparseness of the auto save and the training facility right before can mean hours of lost progress. And in this thread alone, me and couple of other people had this happen.

Games are patched all the time for far less. The fact that they didn't even do a single patch for this game is pretty inexcusable at this point.

Oct 31, 2017
Unfortunately I have no self control when it comes to mainline FF's outside of MMO's

Me when XV was released: *hours of raging about it every day*
Also me: *bought every DLC*

So for something I absolutely love like VIIR, I'll definitely double dip. Sadly.

But seriously above all else please just fucking fix the slow walking segments and the atrocious loading masks (especially the one in Aerith's hometown) thank you

Also a sexy secret ending would be great thank you

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah weirdest shit ever, it's like they abandon the game after launch lol. Maybe we'll get something next year when the pc version launches

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly FF7R just needs a patch for the texture bugs, a fix for the softlock issue in the vents, and a photo mode. Maybe fewer duplicated NPC models too.

The game was insanely well polished at launch, compared to most other AAA releases.

People talking like the game is some disgusting looking game. It looks phenomenal 70/80% of the time.

It's true that the slums and some doors looks like shit but other than that the visuals are incredible.
Yeah the hyperbole surrounding the texture bugs is too stupid to be taken seriously. The game is a visual stunner, aided by exceptionally good art direction.

I have no problem double dipping for the definitive PS5 release, because this game is worth it.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

I mean you can easily miss the vent bug (I have on all of my playthroughs), but as far as I know *nobody* is missing the texture bugs. You can choose to ignore them, but those issues currently are not missable or rare afaik.

Rods

May 1, 2020
I thought that'd be the case, they don't want to patch the PS4 version and add extra content then release a PS5 version and ask for 70$.
So they keep the PS4 version in the dust, make a new PS5/Xbox Series x/PC version with fixed textures, extra content, maybe even some extra story missions and VR battles and charge full price, to entice players to double dip.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
PS5 update semi-confirmed. Fuck yeah!

The door meme is getting a bit tiring. I mean chapter 8 had puked early-ps1 level textures everywhere you look. Chapter 15 had a 10 kbyte low-res jpeg filling up half the screen all the way. Shouldn't those be the memes instead?

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% sure on this but from my understanding it's a PS5 version, not a free update.

Ha, I'm glad I never bought the PS4 version. Heck I haven't bought a PS4 game all year. With the Next-Gen consoles coming out this year I figured something like this would happen.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I put 90 hours+ into it getting the platinum and aside from the door texture issues, I never had any technical issues in the game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of impressive that they didn't *need* to update the game. I played through it beginning to end and don't remember running into any gamebreakers or feeling like things were unfinished.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The low res textures in FF7R are NOT PS3 textures lol. They would've been fine if they were.

EU0YsaEU0AYJzv0.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-remake-textures.900x.jpg
It isn't just textures IIRC. Some of the geometry is questionable too. Almost like the game was supposed to be played with a fixed camera pushed back to not see things up close

XnW7qLx.jpg

Tv5qzAs.jpg

PMShGaz.jpg

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
There is so many texture and LOD issues its distracting, but sure, I can handle that, maybe they didn't care, or wasn't good enough to be able to fix those issues.
But leaving game breaking bugs in a game in this day and age? There is no excuse for that.
Everybody talking about this game not "needing" an update don't know what they are talking about, its the very definition of a game needing post-release support.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
A PS5 upgrade has been in the works for a while. Not sure when is it happening but should be pretty soon.
God bless

Wanted a reason to replay the game via BC but I'll definitely wait now, ty

Wonder if it's coming out April 10th considering that's when the PC/Xbox version releases or if it's a separate release

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the technical issues are a non-issue outside of places like era. Pretty much everyone I know who's played the game loved it and never even mentioned or brought up the textures and low level of detail problems

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Man, I didn't notice any of the graphical issues when I platinumed 7R in September. Played it for like 90 straight hours and wrung it out for all it was worth. I did notice inconsistencies in character models, which betrayed the game's long and complicated development time, but the textures and geometry never registered to me at all. I can see what people are talking about when they post pictures but it's not something I noticed in game.

I'd be very excited for an even better looking version of 7R, which I would platinum again on PS5. But I hope whatever is done for PS5 also comes with fixes and updates for PS4 players too.

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't just textures IIRC. Some of the geometry is questionable too. Almost like the game was supposed to be played with a fixed camera pushed back to not see things up close

XnW7qLx.jpg

Tv5qzAs.jpg

PMShGaz.jpg

Clearly the team did not have enough time, budget, or both. But I'm more than happy to accept the game, flaws and all. 13 and 15 took way too long to develop, and both (especially 15) were underwhelming. I'm glad Square prioritized getting the basics down (combat, writing, voice acting) and getting the game OUT rather than perfecting every little detail. Hopefully this is the direction they take with FF16 and future FF7 games.

FZed

Dec 30, 2019
Looking at the amount of meme-like comment since release, I am surprised they didn't even patch the door...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Don't know em. Who are they?
Mod verified insider
Honestly FF7R just needs a patch for the texture bugs, a fix for the softlock issue in the vents, and a photo mode. Maybe fewer duplicated NPC models too.

The game was insanely well polished at launch, compared to most other AAA releases.

Yeah the hyperbole surrounding the texture bugs is too stupid to be taken seriously. The game is a visual stunner, aided by exceptionally good art direction.

I have no problem double dipping for the definitive PS5 release, because this game is worth it.
Yeah these issues were minor in the grand scheme. everything else worked great.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
A PS5 upgrade has been in the works for a while. Not sure when is it happening but should be pretty soon.

Let's hope they include those wallpapers pretending to be backgrounds in HQ this time cause the last few chapters were embarrassing:

3184309-final%20fantasy%20vii%20remake_20200418215830_1.png

I still can't believe someone played this before released and thought "ok, this looks good"

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I know it's not great if they are thinking about selling it again on the PS5 but I'm also probably going to buy it

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Let's hope they include those wallpapers pretending to be backgrounds in HQ this time cause the last few chapters were embarrassing:

3184309-final%20fantasy%20vii%20remake_20200418215830_1.png

I still can't believe someone played this before released and thought "ok, this looks good"

I don't think you need to believe it. I think it was a bug that was going to take a long time to fix for the ps4 without breaking performance and they said "fuck it".

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I don't think you need to believe it. I think it was a bug that was going to take a long time to fix for the ps4 without breaking performance and they said "fuck it".

This game was not well optimized for sure. It's mostly corridors and my PRO was sweating to render all this. Even RDR2 made my PRO suffer less.