• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
There is a huge difference between someone surviving a whirling sword hit on the arm and someone surviving 3 shots from an ak47 to the face
He literally wrote "soaks up arrows to his face". Realistic weapon impact and RPG/LOOT elements just don't work together. That doesn't mean that all enemies have to be bullet sponges though.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Loaded up the beta to see what all the fuss was about.

First thing I noticed was how severely underwhelming the visuals were.

Just not cutting it in 2019, especially when games like RDR2 have come out and ran circles around pretty much everything else....this just looks flat and mediocre.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
He literally wrote "soaks up arrows to his face". Realistic weapon impact and RPG/LOOT elements just don't work together. That doesn't mean that all enemies have to be bullet sponges though.

I don't disagree with that. But having the game set in realistic modern times with human enemies can feel more immersion breaking for some than when the setting is high fantasy. And it's not wrong of them to feel that way. As much as there is nothing wrong with having no issue with these things.

Jan 20, 2019
It's easier to find a thematic sense to a monster eating tons of bullets than a human in a t-shirt.

No it isn't, we have no proof that a animal can survive a bullet to the face the same way we know that a human can't survive , there is exceptions of course.

So when you think that a monster doesn't obey the same rules as a tipical animal, neither does the humans in the Division.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No it isn't, we have no proof that a animal can survive a bullet to the face the same way we know that a human can't survive , there is exceptions of course.

So when you think that a monster doesn't obey the same rules as a tipical animal, neither does the humans in the Division.

For the human mind it is obviously easier to buy into the idea of some foreign creature having insane thick skin than a ordinary human.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I saw a lot of people in the thread saying that the free-roam will be useless come endgame but from all the trailers and all the interviews we have seen, the endgame is actually when then free-roam gets REALLY interesting, what with the Black Tusk taking over, the other 3 factions fighting for survival and you basicaly playing tug-of-war with them taking back control points and setting up random events everywhere

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of my biggest complaints about TD1, particularly with regards to endgame. I'm glad Massive has paid close attention to correcting it.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loaded up the beta to see what all the fuss was about.

First thing I noticed was how severely underwhelming the visuals were.

Just not cutting it in 2019, especially when games like RDR2 have come out and ran circles around pretty much everything else....this just looks flat and mediocre.
The graphics might not be as impressive but thankfully the gunplay and controls in this run circles around what RDR2 offers.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I found the exploring much more organic than the first, your eye seems to get naturally drawn to alleyways and open buildings.
They give some great moments of low-key down time which act as a good counterpoint to the intense firefights, especially with the great ambient sound design.
It leaves me confident that this will play well as a single player experience.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a lot of people in the thread saying that the free-roam will be useless come endgame but from all the trailers and all the interviews we have seen, the endgame is actually when then free-roam gets REALLY interesting, what with the Black Tusk taking over, the other 3 factions fighting for survival and you basicaly playing tug-of-war with them taking back control points and setting up random events everywhere
I don't remember it happening in the first game, but it's great seeing enemies and allied groups alike patrolling, en route for supplies, getting into random shootouts, and such. If that's what is happening in early level areas, I'm really intrigued by the dynamic when there's three factions at play.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with that. But having the game set in realistic modern times with human enemies can feel more immersion breaking for some than when the setting is high fantasy. And it's not wrong of them to feel that way. As much as there is nothing wrong with having no issue with these things.
Yup another big reason I can't get into this is bullet spongy modern day human enemies

Oct 27, 2017
Division was fantastic, so this has been basically more of the same with a few tweaks; which is fine, the base game is so good.

But I really, really miss the snowy atmosphere of NYC. Graphically this one looks pretty good for the most part, but it's just not as emotive a place to explore. I never thought I would be so attached to digital snow! Also maybe because I have no attachment to DC. Running around a snowy, ruined Times Square was fabulous, DC not so much. Although I like the Christmas stuff in the sunshine everywhere.

I'll probably buy it though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about the technical state of the game on consoles.

Why? Seems ok to me on PS4 Pro. The only thing I've noticed is some of the textures take a while to load in from the low res version, that might just be Beta issues though? Dunno. Other than that it ran well, looked decent and seemed stable. I thought the first game was technically very good too, so I assume they're just building on that foundation.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Is this playable solo?
Or with a not so great connection ?
PvP kinda bothers me but I would like to start playing one of these shlooters seems like anthem is not it
Maybe it's Division 2

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
There is a huge difference between someone surviving a whirling sword hit on the arm and someone surviving 3 shots from an ak47 to the face

That didn't seem to bother anyone when Fallout 3 launched.

The Division opposed to Destiny is very much RPG first, shooter second. It's very much what would a turn based rpg play like if it was played real time. From the shooting to the movement. Like repositioning yourself from low to high ground gets you a fairly long animation while you're exposed just like it would eat up a turn if it was turn based.

Mar 29, 2018
Sounds great. Will probably still wait until it's cheaper but thanks for the tip OP. Division 1 wasn't terrible for free roam/exploration but it still wasn't far off something like Destiny

Mar 29, 2018
Is this playable solo?
PvP kinda bothers me but I would like to start playing one of these shlooters seems like anthem is not it
Maybe it's Division 2
there basically is no PVP in The Division unless you go out of your way to specific, clearly marked areas.

I played the first game solo and it wasnt bad, although loot shooters aren't for me

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017

I just hope the named bosses are still there in free roam. I used to log on every day just to kill them. Had a great little route. Even for months after my core group of friends stopped playing I would log on every day and kill those guys.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I found myself exploring way to much on my point A to point B journey through the required missions for the beta rewards.

The temptation to explore a building or an alley is just too strong. Finished up with what I needed to do and I want to nothing else but play again but I am forcing myself to hold off until release.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like "a lot of people" don't know that its a big part of the endgame... Free roaming bosses, world tiers, and Black Tusks will make sure that free-roam will always be viable.

I just hope the named bosses are still there in free roam. I used to log on every day just to kill them. Had a great little route. Even for months after my core group of friends stopped playing I would log on every day and kill those guys.
They are.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing this after Anthem is like night and day... wait you mean the enemies actually have AI? They rush you, grenade you out of your cover, actually flank and you can tell the difference between them at a glance? You mean to say the AI actually encourages active gameplay? Who would've thought of that (not Anthem).

As far as the clutter goes, I guess I find it less impressive and more liked a missed opportunity to make it meaningful. The corpses just dotted around are particularly unsettling and feel out of place. They obviously look pristine in a world that goes out of its way to show you its anything but (rats would be all over them). It's at that point where the clutter stops being environmental storytelling and becomes just that, clutter.
Is this playable solo?
Maybe it's Division 2
It is playable solo, and you can ignore PvP, but the game wants you to play co-op at least and it is obviously designed around it. You could enjoy it sure, but personally, I'd question the limits of that enjoyment. I think it would get old sooner than you think, unless what you are looking for is a very basic loot treadmill (and the story, which is not a strong suit imo) and are willing to ignore everything on the sides.

Smokecapone

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Here's hoping the game can do dynamic weather and we can get it all from the nice looking and feeling the rain gives tonitneventually snowing or being foggy. I really would have like dot seen vehicles in this game only usable by the enemy's on missions attacking their caravan by foot or something of that nature. Kinda like a mad max vibe of you will.

I would like the factions from New York to have found out what's going on in DC and make there way there and you goal is to stop them from making more of a mess than what's already been made or it could be another faction altogether. I just want a story mode and endgame that continues with dlc and nice expansions line destiny does!

Love this game and the series so far as a whole can't wait til launch!

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving it but had to delete it so I dont play the same hours over and over once the game releases. Cant wait!

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you really really want to be Ironman, there will be no logical explanation to pick Anthem over TD2.

As a looter shooter and a GaaS title, TD2 is simply a skyscraper above Anthem. Their freaking beta is a more functional and fully featured game than Anthem's launch build with the all the patches.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The graphics might not be as impressive but thankfully the gunplay and controls in this run circles around what RDR2 offers.
Controls, sure. (Though RDR2's controls are not nearly as bad as people make them about to be once settings are adjusted)

But gunplay, absolutely not.

Bullet impacts/sound effects are laughable at best, they have no punch to them. It feels like you're shooting people with an automatic airsoft rifle in this game in comparison.

Last edited:

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I got addicted to doing this in Division 1, I would spend a good chunk of my time just running around off the beaten path checking every nook and cranny.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The thing is there's a difference between balancing the game and making it play "like a shooter". The former is fine, NPCs CAN be too tanky, but the implication in making it like a shooter, the implication in 'muh immersion', is that human enemies need to die quickly regardless of difficulty, status, or gear. That just because you have a gun, any gun, you ought to be able mow down human enemies in a few bullets because it's 'more immersive'.

This latter position is both ridiculous and game breaking.
Yep. People complained about it in Destiny 1 and when they made it easier to kill enemies in Destiny 2 it was awful.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's a small thing, but I like that the UI signals the behaviour of NPCs you encounter.

I stalked some bandits gathering components until they produced a crate and saw a JTF patrol attack them. Managed to grab the contents of the dropped crate while the firefight was happening and walked off to give the components to a friendly checkpoint.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the feeling of danger. I tried to sneak my way to the dark zone and died about 3 times on the way there. You can't really just power through and run so I had to take into consideration enemy sight lines and locations.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Well, the feedback here convinced me to give it a shot - sounds like it rewards random exploration, which is totally my thing. Bought it from Uplay, used a points code for the discount. Excited to get stuck in, this will be the first MP-focused game I've played in a while.

When do I get the free game they promised, though? I'm new to this Uplay stuff.