• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The informations about the endgame is all there. There's a ton of trailers and info if you're interested.
Ive seen it and again I'm not convinced especially since that's where the division 1 failed hard at and when with the changes they did wasn't compelling enough to keep me after coming back.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The informations about the endgame is all there. There's a ton of trailers and info if you're interested.
The info isn't there. They're calling something a "raid," but we don't know what that actually means as far as gameplay is concerned. There is potential of course but we really don't know how any of it will work. I'm extremely cautious after the first game.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a way to get around quickly?

I remember in Division 1 having to run everywhere

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
The borderlands type.
Where a random pile of trash can drop a legendary.
Makes digging through everything worth jt

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has been gone over several times in prior threads, so forgive me for asking, but do we have a word on the bullet-sponginess of enemies? I'd so heavily prefer this move closer to shooter than RPG with enemies that don't take a full clip of ammunition to kill. I'd admit that The Division did the best it could with that setup, and i love the game for what it was, BUT I hope they took the opportunity a new game grants to change things to a slightly more reasonable shooting model.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm sure this has been gone over several times in prior threads, so forgive me for asking, but do we have a word on the bullet-sponginess of enemies? I'd so heavily prefer this move closer to shooter than RPG with enemies that don't take a full clip of ammunition to kill. I'd admit that The Division did the best it could with that setup, and i love the game for what it was, BUT I hope they took the opportunity a new game grants to change things to a slightly more reasonable shooting model.

Yep sponginess has been turned way down. TTK is much faster overall. Enemies with armor you have to shoot off their armor pieces to get to the juicy HP underneath.

You should definitely try the Open Beta to see for yourself!

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

There's an open beta on every platform you can try btw

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I already played the invite-only beta, so I'm not super interested in installing it again. But someone please send me a picture of what Georgetown looks like in this game. Lol.

It's not accessible. I wanted to go laugh at my husband's building, but Virginia Avenue isn't accessible either. Gotta wait until launch day.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017

nah, fuck that garbage. It should literally never play like a straight shooter. People who are very 'concerned' about bullet sponges should go play shooters and stop fucking around trying to ruin an rpg.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
UBI has been good at reducing unnecessary stuff and making gameplay faster and more comfortable lately (in most of their games).

Want to ride faster in Assassins Creed? No need to hammer or press additional buttons, just push your stick
Want to climb and move in a straight line to your target? You can climb everywhere, no stamina bar or other limitations.
Teleportation to a previously discovered area? No problem.
Want to sit back and let your car/horse auto follow the road to a waypoint? Press a button, relax and look at the nice environment.
Want to try out different skills? Sure, it's part of the design

All those (and other) quality of life changes made world exploration and resource gathering less cumbersome and more fun. You also get extra rewards for leaving the proposed route. Rewarding your players for engaging with the game and not making gameplay more annoying in unimportant areas is such an easy to understand, but apparently novel concept in this industry.

They introduced some stuff that I'm rather critical about too. Story telling is going downhill: FC5, Origins and New Dawn are okay at best. Odyssey was better, but still not as exciting as the first assassins creed games. Selling ingame resources also leaves a bitter aftertaste. Their SP games play fine there is no need to buy resources for real money, but Odyssey felt like it was flying very close to the sun.
If they start selling resources in Division 2: I'm out. Skins I can accept.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you haven't reached endgame status in a lootgame, exploration can feel meaningful. Once you no longer need mid-range drops it goes back to being pointless again.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with the loot however is the fact that it can get a bit difficult to spot in the environnement... Once you get near it you have the orange glow which is ok but it should also show up on the radar.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
nah, fuck that garbage. It should literally never play like a straight shooter. People who are very 'concerned' about bullet sponges should go play shooters and stop fucking around trying to ruin an rpg.

How dare they ask for immersion in an rpg!!!!

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017

If everything dies quickly while in shit gear then gear can only be meaningless. No builds, no farming, no theorizing, no "oh shit that's cool", no challenge, no fucking nothing. That 'immersion' of having people die in a few bullets would literally ruin the entire game. If that's what they're looking for they should go play Far Cry or something.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yea most of what you wrote is wrong. There's a lot more rooftops/stores/places to explore compares to div1 - I was playing yesterday and there was a backdoor in a alley way which I said there was no way this is going to open - since I was so used to div1, and then boom it opened and I went inside. How is the world lifeless? There's a crap ton or wildlife that's roaming the streets, gangs of NPCs that are out in the world in quests of their own which you can join in to help them, settlements to visit which are manmade cities basically, etc.

This is also one section out of like 10 that you can explore. You're reaching at things to complain about when you say - there's almost too many things to find. I don't really want to bring up Anthem (as I enjoy it) but aren't you a big Anthem fan, and you're calling the world here lifeless?
i realize this is just a small slice of the world. But i certainly haven't found any way to get on top of buildings or apartments. And i've looked. In Div 1 it seemed like there was a store/apartment/roof u could get into/onto every other block. Not a lot of residential area in the demo. Might be the problem. But that doesn't account for the lack of stores u can go in. The games def lifeless. When ur surrounded by NPCs and the most u hear is a cough. Luckily they try to play music to distract from that. And the desolate streets. U can walk for seemingly 4 mins and not see a soul. It just feels emptier.

i wouldnt say im a big anthem fan. i like it. I also like division and put dozens of hours into the first game. And played this beta nonstop for hours last nite. I like it. I think i like it more than Div1. Mainly because the game feels more arcadey now that i can drop everyone with 2-3 shots. Though another part of me feels like completely removing the bullet spongy-ness makes the RPG element feel less necessary. And maybe muddies up the identity of what Division is.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A loot-based RPG. It's not purely a shooter, it's an loot RPG where you shoot, so gear and levels need to matter rather than all enemies dropping like it's a regular shooter.

That said, the sponginess is much decreased compared to the first game

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, it's impressive that you can simply walk around in free roam and get meaningful upgrades from the chests like you run a mission.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
i realize this is just a small slice of the world. But i certainly haven't found any way to get on top of buildings or apartments. And i've looked. In Div 1 it seemed like there was a store/apartment/roof u could get into/onto every other block. Not a lot of residential area in the demo. Might be the problem. But that doesn't account for the lack of stores u can go in. The games def lifeless. When ur surrounded by NPCs and the most u hear is a cough. Luckily they try to play music to distract from that. And the desolate streets. U can walk for seemingly 4 mins and not see a soul. It just feels emptier.

i wouldnt say im a big anthem fan. i like it. I also like division and put dozens of hours into the first game. And played this beta nonstop for hours last nite. I like it. I think i like it more than Div1. Mainly because the game feels more arcadey now that i can drop everyone with 2-3 shots. Though another part of me feels like completely removing the bullet spongy-ness makes the RPG element feel less necessary. And maybe muddies up the identity of what Division is.
It's not lifeless though, but I don't think I'm going to convince you otherwise. The NPCs do way more then just coughing, especially in the settlements. I joined a group of NPCs taking water back to the settlement yesterday, and they were commenting on how thankful they were to be receiving much needed help; and thanked me again when they made it safely back.

Cross-post from the beta OT from carlsojo:

There is verticality to the game, and moreso compared to the first game. They aren't just going to get rid of that aspect, and they improved on it.

Also the wildlife, detail in the world, and setting adds a lot of life to the game.

- This is the top post on the subreddit right now (past day): https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/awigbf/during_a_firefight_a_stray_dog_came_and_took/
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...TUIpEoocHdzrjfwpMzuROFzfUAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

To call it lifeless is just plain wrong. And you can't 2-3 shot end game enemies, you can right now on the story difficulty which is essentially easy. Stuff like this will change though, it changed from the private to open beta, and will probably change again from now until launch.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've been enjoying but it's a very typical Ubisoft style open world where it feels like there's a template they use for a lot of the areas. You come across loot virtually every 10-15 seconds and after a point it just starts feeling trivial.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, so many aspects of this games design are on a whole other level. This really feels like Ubi taking what they do best and improving on it in every possible way. It's. It just smartly designed, but also full of content

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I've been enjoying but it's a very typical Ubisoft style open world where it feels like there's a template they use for a lot of the areas. You come across loot virtually every 10-15 seconds and after a point it just starts feeling trivial.
Woah I can enter this building too, oh wait the interior is another corridor with basic crafting materials in a box.

Nov 14, 2017
The stuff I've seen of the Dark Zone, where your power is normalised to end-game levels, seems that it's fairly reasonable. Basic enemies go down quickly with the major type enemies taking a bit more. There might be spongy patches on the road to endgame, but when you get there it looks like it should be reasonable.
I mean, no? Every schlooter that has gotten too spongy has been criticised by players, for good reason. It just doesn't feel good to play a game like this when basic enemies take ages to kill when all you're trying to do is farm.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
We must be playing completely different games... There is FAR more vertically in this game than there was the first, they even said so in one of their development videos and you can see it in this beta.

As for the lifeless NPC's and streets ... Yea, I don't know what you're doing, but you're doing it wrong.

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know if you can change the fire mode on guns? I swear I got a smg and it changed from full auto to single shot.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, no? Every schlooter that has gotten too spongy has been criticised by players, for good reason. It just doesn't feel good to play a game like this when basic enemies take ages to kill when all you're trying to do is farm.

The thing is there's a difference between balancing the game and making it play "like a shooter". The former is fine, NPCs CAN be too tanky, but the implication in making it like a shooter, the implication in 'muh immersion', is that human enemies need to die quickly regardless of difficulty, status, or gear. That just because you have a gun, any gun, you ought to be able mow down human enemies in a few bullets because it's 'more immersive'.

This latter position is both ridiculous and game breaking.

Nov 14, 2017
The thing is there's a difference between balancing the game and making it play "like a shooter". The former is fine, NPCs CAN be too tanky, but the implication in making it like a shooter, the implication in 'muh immersion', is that human enemies need to die quickly regardless of difficulty, status, or gear. That just because you have a gun, any gun, you ought to be able mow down human enemies in a few bullets because it's 'more immersive.

This latter position is both ridiculous and game breaking.
Right, but I think the criticism of the original Division is that everything was too spongy, regardless of how powerful you got. The same was true for launch D2. In both cases it seems the dev have moved away from that. I'm not a Division player, so I'm not sure. I know it's true in D2.

I'm guessing we probably agree that there should be progression, such that you start out weak and have to be super careful with your shots, but when you're fully geared and max level you're basically a murder machine and only the pinnacle content should still be hard. Right?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how seamless it all is too. I was playing Anthem and jumped into the Division 2 Open Beta right after and it was insane. You can jump into any activity pretty much immediately through the map, matchmaking menu or from the world by going to its location. I like just traveling to the activities myself because of how much stuff there is to do and find along the way.
What bugs me about Anthem aside from the segregated world separated by load screens and canyons clocking your way (effectively making it more like a wide and tall corridor than open world), is that the map is utter trash ! You can't even put a custom marker and the radar is garbage too !

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely appreciate the seamless world design vs the heavy menu driven stuff that you see in Anthem/Destiny. I was just exploring/doing side stuff, stumbled on a main mission, finished it and exited back into the world all without ever seeing a single load screen.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I have really enjoyed what I have played of the beta so far. Giving us more of what the first game did, but better, is not a bad thing at all. My only gripes so far would be that the shooting doesn't feel as good as I thought it did, or maybe it's just me trying to get used to it after playing a lot of Destiny 2 lately, and the menus seem a bit clunky to me on pc.

I love searching every area for loot because you can actually find decent gear in there along with some cosmetics. It was a lot of fun looking everywhere in the first game trying to find the cell phones, and other collectibles.

This game is night and day from my experience playing the Anthem beta, and it's tempting me to pick it up on day one.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If everything dies quickly while in shit gear then gear can only be meaningless. No builds, no farming, no theorizing, no "oh shit that's cool", no challenge, no fucking nothing. That 'immersion' of having people die in a few bullets would literally ruin the entire game. If that's what they're looking for they should go play Far Cry or something.

An rpg is as much about story and immersion. The division really doesn't feel like an immersive role playing experience. It's a loot shooter. Nothing more and nothing less. And in a game where everything is about loot it's fine, like you said, that shit doesn't make sense. The issue arises when people start trying to sell division as an rpg.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
An rpg is as much about story and immersion. The division really doesn't feel like an immersive role playing experience. It's a loot shooter. Nothing more and nothing less. And in a game where everything is about loot it's fine, like you said, that shit doesn't make sense. The issue arises when people start trying to sell division as an rpg.
Depends on the kind of RPG. Not all RPG subgenres are about story and immersion

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the kind of RPG. Not all RPG subgenres are about story and immersion

True enough but I still think people need to be more specific. It's the same if people just call Anthem an rpg. People are bound to get disappointed by the lack of stat screen etc

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Oh liking the sound of this! Big fan of the frst but didnt want to jump in on the beta...Wanted to experience all nice n fresh at launch.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Great post OP.
I was ready to pass on the Division 2. I played a lot of the first one and was afraid this version would be even more MP driven than the original. Meaning, it wouldn't be a game you would enjoy solo or for exploration... and then, I played the Beta today. I am sold. I had so much fun playing solo. I was not expecting it. Day one.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Immersion in an RPG in terms of "realistic weapon damage" doesn't exist. Basic bandits in Skyrim soak up arrow after arrow with their face and keep on advancing on you. Any kind of stat based RPG does away with the realistic lethality of weapons. There's no reason why a bronze sword would be less effective at cutting through flesh than an iron sword, or a level 1 pistol would do less damage than a level 30 pistol. If you want instant headshot kills go play a shooter like Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
It does a ton right, and it does a ton right that its competitors are doing wrong in that regard. The seamlessness is definitely a great thing.

But with all the freedom that aspect of the game affords you, the gameplay equally taketh away. The shooting itself feels okay, but the gameplay loop as a whole feels scattered, tedious, and janky. Cover-based combat/movement is hard to get right, I'm sure, but they've barely made any improvements after the first game as far as fluidity is concerned. Maybe a soft-cover system like GR: Wildlands would be a better fit. When enemies are running at you from different directions, things need to be snappier than they are. Jumping from a 4 foot object shouldn't trigger a 3 second landing animation while I get peppered with gunfire.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Immersion in an RPG in terms of "realistic weapon damage" doesn't exist. Basic bandits in Skyrim soak up arrow after arrow with their face and keep on advancing on you. Any kind of stat based RPG does away with the realistic lethality of weapons. There's no reason why a bronze sword would be less effective at cutting through flesh than an iron sword, or a level 1 pistol would do less damage than a level 30 pistol. If you want instant headshot kills go play a shooter like Ghost Recon Wildlands.

There is a huge difference between someone surviving a whirling sword hit on the arm and someone surviving 3 shots from an ak47 to the face