• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that if you're designing characters that are not from your culture, you should consult with people from that culture to understand it better. Yaminah isn't really a valid Japanese name. You don't want to end up creating poor cultural caricatures.

Nov 23, 2017
I personally would recommend against choosing anything for the name that is associated with Nazis or the Wehrmacht if your game has early 20th century trappings as part of the style. Its a one two combo to attract the wrong crowd and they take things like that as a dog whistle and I'm gonna guess OP doesn't want that type of fan....(I hope so)

Regardless ,I am also an aspiring/beginner game dev just like you OP so good luck! I'll check in to see t he progress in the future.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I would say that if you're designing characters that are not from your culture, you should consult with people from that culture to understand it better. Yaminah isn't really a valid Japanese name. You don't want to end up creating poor cultural caricatures.
Yaminah is actually an arabic name, since she hails from Saudi!

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I personally would recommend against choosing anything for the name that is associated with Nazis or the Wehrmacht if your game has early 20th century trappings as part of the style. Its a one two combo to attract the wrong crowd and they take things like that as a dog whistle and I'm gonna guess OP doesn't want that type of fan....(I hope so)

Regardless ,I am also an aspiring/beginner game dev just like you OP so good luck! I'll check in to see t he progress in the future.
Are you talking about the word Panzer? If anything, I chose Panzer because everyone knows what that is and it just sounds better to me than just "tank." I don't want to give a bunch of nazi imagery though. Because fuck nazis

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yaminah is actually an arabic name, since she hails from Saudi!
Heh :) That's a destroyed post if I ever saw one, wow ^^
Are you talking about the word Panzer? If anything, I chose Panzer because everyone knows what that is and it just sounds better to me than just "tank." I don't want to give a bunch of nazi imagery though. Because fuck nazis
As a German, "Panzer Punk" is a pretty cool sounding name, personally I wouldn't see any problems with that. This is, again, just my opinion, but I feel if you'd connect "Panzer" with "Wehrmacht" (which i surely don't), you might as well connect "Punk" to leftist anarcho youth, so there's that. I like the name.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Heh :) That's a destroyed post if I ever saw one, wow ^^

As a German, "Panzer Punk" is a pretty cool sounding name, personally I wouldn't see any problems with that. This is, again, just my opinion, but I feel if you'd connect "Panzer" with "Wehrmacht" (which i surely don't), you might as well connect "Punk" to leftist anarcho youth, so there's that. I like the name.
Thank you! Panzer Punk is still tentative though, I've got a few titles in mind, this one is just one of my favorites for now

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
So, I'm actually making this post hoping to get some feedback from y'all in regards to a character design. This is for who I plan to be the main protagonist of the game; Baphomet
buS9mJp.jpg
Here's a visual evolution of Baphomet. The far left being one of his earliest after I decided to make him the protag. It had a "priest" theme to it. The middle was more western/cowboy like. It had a cool air to it, but it really didn't strike me as a "main character" design. The design on the right is his most recent iteration, and I feel like this is closer to how I want him and better fits his personality and the game's overall art direction. But the thing is, I don't even know if it's even a good design. Like, if you were to look at him at a glance, would you be able to figure out what he is about, his personality, etc.?

Here's actually his earliest design that was drafted.
NjbUzMy.png

fLBtmmt.jpg

Now, with these, I feel like his simpler direction worked well and it was way more clear what he is about. The tattered shemagh and turban demonstrate the environment he comes from and gives the sense he is nomadic, the green hue, pouches, and kneepads give a militaristic vibe (which is fitting, because in story he is a mercenary) and the athletic suit shows that he is in shape and strong, and the gloves show that he is a brawler.

But even then, what I'm struggling with is that even as simpler and possibly better this design is, I just don't know if it works as a main character design. Meanwhile this, while probably less clear as to what he is about, just seems more like a fitting protagonist design to me.
So, what's your advice Era? Should I stick with the above design or go back to the more nomadic look? Anything that you would think would help improve his most recent design? Please and thank you.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Just based on looks he strikes me as a rich guy who's into techwear and capes. The final looks just a bit too detailed and "unworn", so to speak, like he just put on a brand new costume. The fifth one is my favorite, has a strong color scheme and a recognizable silhouette while having some rough edges that suggest the clothing is "lived in" and comfortable to him. Almost looks like a motorcycle jacket adapted to the desert, which is a cool image.

Last edited:

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
All I will say to people saying they will donate and support are these 3 words.
Day of Dragons

I have no more pity at all for fools that fall for these things.

Not insinuating he's like that but people need to wake up.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Just based on looks he strikes me as a rich guy who's into techwear and capes. The final looks just a bit too detailed and "unworn", so to speak, like he just put on a brand new costume. The fifth one is my favorite, has a strong color scheme and a recognizable silhouette while having some rough edges that suggest the clothing is "lived in" and comfortable to him. Almost looks like a motorcycle jacket adapted to the desert, which is a cool image.
Thanks for the feedback!

The motorcycle jacket thing is actually something I'm trying to go for with the latest design. I can understand what you mean with it being too clean. In regards to the nomadic look, the strong color scheme is one thing I have issue with it. He's supposed to be the main protag, so I don't think military green and yellow works too well. I could try to apply some of the "lived in" elements to the most recent design. Any other suggestions or critiques come to mind?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
The green and yellow is definitely the best imo. Personally I'm not one for over edge and the white poncho with endless straps seems a bit much for my tastes.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
The green and yellow is definitely the best imo. Personally I'm not one for over edge and the white poncho with endless straps seems a bit much for my tastes.
Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, as I've already stated with another post, the green and yellow just doesnt strike me as "protagonist." From what I've researched, colors that people usually associate with a heroic central character are usually white, black, blue, and/or red. White poncho I could dial back for sure, I just felt like it helped break up the complexity of the design. The straps are one thing, but I could explain what I was going for. They're actually pulled over from the cowboy design, with the extra bits of belt sticking supposed to give an allusion to tassels, to kinda give a sense of a western lifestyle. He's a nomadic mercenary in the US, felt fitting to give him some cowboy allusions.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe a brighter shade of green, or some other color combo? Just because he's the face doesn't mean he has to be Ryu plain. The black and white color scheme actually makes the latest draft look kinda sinister at a glance. That goes double if that's supposed to be black leather.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Maybe a brighter shade of green, or some other color combo? Just because he's the face doesn't mean he has to be Ryu plain. The black and white color scheme actually makes the latest draft look kinda sinister at a glance. That goes double if that's supposed to be black leather.
Some sinister-ness works because of his background. In the story people call him "Baphomet" and "The Devil Himself" because of how absurdly strong he is (I even tried to give him some devil imagery with his hair sticking out of the torn bandana to give a horn allusion.)

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
How far have you come on the non-art stuff?
Nothing that I can really show off just yet. Like I've said in previous posts, it's mostly grey models in a test Arena. I'm mostly trying to figure out and fine tune the games mechanics for right now. I can implement all of the art stuff later

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I agree that the design is good but the colors don't work.

I would personally go for either blue turban and cape/silver clothes, or red turban and cape/black clothes.
Perhaps the colors of the most recent design could work?

I'm just really weary of using black and red as a color scheme because to me that always screams "edgelord"

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Good luck OP. Regardless of whether the game is properly finished or not I'm sure you will learn 1000x more than all the nay-sayers in this thread.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck, good design and good name but yikes dude, you're in for a rough time.

Learn how to make games first. Not tutorials, MAKE something first, a small puzzle game or something. You're in for some MAJOR crashes so its better to focus on small experiences first. Attempting to make your dream game as your first game is a big, very typical, very damaging, mistake.

I dont want to sound negative, but its not like Im new to these things AND I have worked on and shipped a fighting game before. Theyre just about the hardest game to make.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a small game using the same characters would be cool. Kinda like what happened with Bloodstained where we first got Curse of the Moon. Obviously not something of that level but you know what I mean.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Maybe a small game using the same characters would be cool. Kinda like what happened with Bloodstained where we first got Curse of the Moon. Obviously not something of that level but you know what I mean.
I've thought about this, the problem is the only other genre I could think of where these characters fit would be a beat em up, and tbh I know virtually nothing about the genre, design wise, to be able to make a proper one.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Good luck, good design and good name but yikes dude, you're in for a rough time.

Learn how to make games first. Not tutorials, MAKE something first, a small puzzle game or something. You're in for some MAJOR crashes so its better to focus on small experiences first. Attempting to make your dream game as your first game is a big, very typical, very damaging, mistake.

I dont want to sound negative, but its not like Im new to these things AND I have worked on and shipped a fighting game before. Theyre just about the hardest game to make.
I appreciate the advice! I've thought about it quite often, doing a smaller game first, and I think I know what direction to go if I were to work on that instead. As of right now, I will continue to develop Panzer Punk until further notice.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Good luck OP. Regardless of whether the game is properly finished or not I'm sure you will learn 1000x more than all the nay-sayers in this thread.
Thank you for the encouragement! I do understand people's doubts though, although I will still continue with the project; not to prove them wrong, but the learn something new

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I like your Ninja character design. Not sure if it was an intentional artistic choice but she has 8 toes. Since you've drawn the hands beautifully (and with 5 fingers each) I might consider adding a toe each to keep things consistent? Up to you though.

Oh, and good luck on the project.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I like your Ninja character design. Not sure if it was an intentional artistic choice but she has 8 toes. Since you've drawn the hands beautifully (and with 5 fingers each) I might consider adding a toe each to keep things consistent? Up to you though.
Thanks you! I am not the artist for the Yaminah art, that honor goes to Jaya Ply! I simply designed the character.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Theres really somthing im not liking from the latest itineration but I really love this one:
fLBtmmt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.