• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Theres really somthing im not liking from the latest itineration but I really love this one:
fLBtmmt.jpg
Thanks! I'm trying to find a way to improve upon this design and have it fit more for his protagonist role. Currently, the main motif I want to work off of is "Devil." That's why the latest iteration has the hair sticking out like a horn. He's also supposed to be a weapon wielder in the game and I think the newer look has a bit of a swordsman vibe to it.

I would love to hear any suggestions you may have on how to improve the current design or how to reiterate this design.

Last edited:

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Very best of luck. One day I will play your game on Switch/PSN/XBL.
I love fighting games so I will keep a look out for your title.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
BTW, I was reading up on Baphomet and I read that it's thought to be a bastardization of the name Muhammad, as in the prophet.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
BTW, I was reading up on Baphomet and I read that it's thought to be a bastardization of the name Muhammad, as in the prophet.
Oh, wow. I didn't know of this either. I always assumed Baphomet was just an alternate name for devil since he's supposed to have a slight "devil" motif to his design.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Oh, wow. I didn't know of this either. I always assumed Baphomet was just an alternate name for devil since he's supposed to have a slight "devil" motif to his design.
Check out the Ars Goetia for other demonic names if you like. Baal/Bael appears to be the big cheese according to that list.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
The green and yellow design is definitely the stronger one, but you can definitely swap out the colors. I don't have any specific suggestions - it feels like with just a little tweaking you'll have an iconic design.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Baal/Bael could work! Although, do you think sticking with Baphomet would be a bad move?

The word baphomet today has a long history which is so far removed from its etymological origins as a bastardized mistransliteration of the name Mohammed that, in my opinion, I don't think it would be an issue. No one would recognize it as such, and unlike modern (1800s and on) racist and xenophobic terminology it doesn't carry any real sort of toxic connotations. So I think it would be fine.
Baal isn't a bad choice either if the character is Middle Eastern, which I assume based on the sketches you've posted, since Baal was a Near Eastern name meaning "Lord", in the godly sense, and was the common title of the Near Eastern/Caananite thunder god Hadad.

Btw, just to give my own take on the scope of the project, your ambitions and the reality of getting to a finish line, I would set my ultimate sights on getting two, maaaaaybe three, characters with vanilla SF2 levels of moves and mechanics (ie, like 2-3 specials at best) with 1-2 stages, and primarily focus on getting one character moving around, throwing normals and hitting something to all feel really good before moving on with more elaborate ideas (like systems-level mechanics and more than one character). Just that on its own is still a long, complex and challenging process.
Even if your ambitions contain 4, 8, 12, 16 or 20+ chars, and you don't wanna entertain the idea of making sequels. Then treat it like SF2. That 2-3 char base game should be your vanilla SF2: The World Warrior.

Anyway, best of luck.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I'm trying to find a way to improve upon this design and have it fit more for his protagonist role. Currently, the main motif I want to work off of is "Devil." That's why the latest iteration has the hair sticking out like a horn. He's also supposed to be a weapon wielder in the game and I think the newer look has a bit of a swordsman vibe to it.

I would love to hear any suggestions you may have on how to improve the current design or how to reiterate this design.
The thing is, a lot of times less is more. As a concept artist also, I usually prefer simpler more eye catching designs. This one has the perfect blend of cool but without overbearing it. The pose also helps a lot, he seems quite charismatic and i wouldnt mind playing as him as the protagonist of a game.
I alos enjoy a lot the bruce lee type of attire mixed withe the ragged clothes, gives him a somewhat of a cool tribute feeling, while the other cloth details make it also original.
I also have to add, will eb cool to have a concept art of this character and the ninja girl one besides the other, to see how they both feel and if they really look like they come from the same game.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
The word baphomet today has a long history which is so far removed from its etymological origins as a bastardized mistransliteration of the name Mohammed that, in my opinion, I don't think it would be an issue. No one would recognize it as such, and unlike modern (1800s and on) racist and xenophobic terminology it doesn't carry any real sort of toxic connotations. So I think it would be fine.
Baal isn't a bad choice either if the character is Middle Eastern, which I assume based on the sketches you've posted, since Baal was a Near Eastern name meaning "Lord", in the godly sense, and was the common title of the Near Eastern/Caananite thunder god Hadad.

Btw, just to give my own take on the scope of the project, your ambitions and the reality of getting to a finish line, I would set my ultimate sights on getting two, maaaaaybe three, characters with vanilla SF2 levels of moves and mechanics (ie, like 2-3 specials at best) with 1-2 stages, and primarily focus on getting one character moving around, throwing normals and hitting something to all feel really good before moving on with more elaborate ideas (like systems-level mechanics and more than one character). Just that on its own is still a long, complex and challenging process.
Even if your ambitions contain 4, 8, 12, 16 or 20+ chars, and you don't wanna entertain the idea of making sequels. Then treat it like SF2. That 2-3 char base game should be your vanilla SF2: The World Warrior.

Anyway, best of luck.
I agree on starting with something really small scope. Make a very basic, barebones version of the game I have in mind. Once that's done, I could possibly look to other developers for help. I feel like of I can even get one working character and to have it feel like a functioning fighting game, I'll be pretty happy.

Anywho, I also would like to ask for your opinion on Baphomet's design? What works and what doesn't? What can I change? What should I change?

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
The green and yellow design is definitely the stronger one, but you can definitely swap out the colors. I don't have any specific suggestions - it feels like with just a little tweaking you'll have an iconic design.
Thanks! Off the top of your head, what do you have in mind that needs tweaked?

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
The thing is, a lot of times less is more. As a concept artist also, I usually prefer simpler more eye catching designs. This one has the perfect blend of cool but without overbearing it. The pose also helps a lot, he seems quite charismatic and i wouldnt mind playing as him as the protagonist of a game.
I alos enjoy a lot the bruce lee type of attire mixed withe the ragged clothes, gives him a somewhat of a cool tribute feeling, while the other cloth details make it also original.
I also have to add, will eb cool to have a concept art of this character and the ninja girl one besides the other, to see how they both feel and if they really look like they come from the same game.
Definitely, I absolutely agree with "less is more." It also gives character's designs room to work with when it comes to reinterpretations.

Also, to be completely honest, the Bruce Lee allusion was completely unintentional lol. But it fits!

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely, I absolutely agree with "less is more." It also gives character's designs room to work with when it comes to reinterpretations.

Also, to be completely honest, the Bruce Lee allusion was completely unintentional lol. But it fits!

The yellow is striking and the Bruce Lee reference (intentional or not) is perfect. But I'm not much a fan of green and yellow together, personally. Yellow and red can work, though, and if you want color inspiration you can look at basically any promo poster for Kill Bill. White can also work, but if you really want to use green I'd go for a more olive color and a duller, more khaki-like yellow / tan. There's a bunch of directions you could go but I think you're at least close.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck, good design and good name but yikes dude, you're in for a rough time.

Learn how to make games first. Not tutorials, MAKE something first, a small puzzle game or something. You're in for some MAJOR crashes so its better to focus on small experiences first. Attempting to make your dream game as your first game is a big, very typical, very damaging, mistake.

I dont want to sound negative, but its not like Im new to these things AND I have worked on and shipped a fighting game before. Theyre just about the hardest game to make.

Different things work for different people. For some, completing small games unrelated to their true interest might be a helpful exercise, for others, the passion to make what you love is what powers you to learn what you need to know as you go

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Different things work for different people. For some, completing small games unrelated to their true interest might be a helpful exercise, for others, the passion to make what you love is what powers you to learn what you need to know as you go
I definitely understand their sentiment though. I have no previous dev experience and choosing to create a fighting game, one of the most difficult game genres to develop, may seem like a foolish endeavor

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Hey OP. I read through this thread and I'm wishing you nothing but the best of luck. Keep at it and just take your time.

As for Baphomet. The final yellow/green design is far and away the best. The others are too busy for my liking. As others have said. Less is more.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Hey OP. I read through this thread and I'm wishing you nothing but the best of luck. Keep at it and just take your time.

As for Baphomet. The final yellow/green design is far and away the best. The others are too busy for my liking. As others have said. Less is more.
Thank you on both fronts!

I still feel like something is missing from Baphomet's design. At least, something that says "I'm from a future war torn fantasy world." I feel as he is the main character he should reflect the game's setting better than everybody else.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I'm not sure - I think trying different color combinations to see how they feel is the main thing, and to echo another poster, I think changing the pants would help. But ultimately you should go with what your gut tells you.
Thanks for the advice, I still feel as if something needs to be revised with Baphomet's visual design, so I'll see what I can do.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I'm canceling the project.

At this point I feel overwhelmed and honestly don't know if I want to pursue a career as an illustrator or a game developer (Can't do both) and honestly the project itself is kinda directionless.

Even with what I've studied and what I've got done, there's just no way to be able to conceivably do the project I want to do all on my own.

At least the people who correctly predicted I would fail will be happy with this outcome.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019

At this point I feel overwhelmed and honestly don't know if I want to pursue a career as an illustrator or a game developer (Can't do both) and honestly the project itself is kinda directionless.

Even with what I've studied and what I've got done, there's just no way to be able to conceivably do the project I want to do all on my own.

At least the people who correctly predicted I would fail will be happy with this outcome.
developing a game is soulcrushing, sometimes you feel like giving up but having the strength to go on is what makes you stronger. It is however, very surprising that when I open the thread for the first time since you made it, that I am greeted with this post lol.

Take your time just don't give up

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
developing a game is soulcrushing, sometimes you feel like giving up but having the strength to go on is what makes you stronger. It is however, very surprising that when I open the thread for the first time since you made it, that I am greeted with this post lol.

Take your time just don't give up
If I'm going to be completely realistic here, there's no way the project could ever get finished unless it's an extremely scaled back, crappier version of the game I want to make. I'm not someone who can be comfortable with settling for less. I'd rather not make any game then become known for making a shitty game.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
If I'm going to be completely realistic here, there's no way the project could ever get finished unless it's an extremely scaled back, crappier version of the game I want to make. I'm not someone who can be comfortable with settling for less. I'd rather not make any game then become known for making a shitty game.
you seem like a very good artist, and seemingly either accidentally or intentionally inspired by Kinuko from Lab Zero. You have talent, if you want to make this a reality, find a team. Or start another game, smaller. And then go from there

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm making a game too, been going at it for a while in secret.

The title I got so far is "The" in fancy writing.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
you seem like a very good artist, and seemingly either accidentally or intentionally inspired by Kinuko from Lab Zero. You have talent, if you want to make this a reality, find a team. Or start another game, smaller. And then go from there
Like I said, I really don't know if I even want to develop games or be an illustrator. I think I'm better illustrator than developer, so it would probably be wiser to pursue that than to attempt making another game.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That title edit lmao

Good luck OP, I do seriously and sincerely mean it. The intent and effort so far is admirable in itself.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Like I said, I really don't know if I even want to develop games or be an illustrator. I think I'm better illustrator than developer, so it would probably be wiser to pursue that than to attempt making another game.
listen, I am not a life coach but I hate people downplaying themselves like this. Being an illustrator doesn't mean you cant be a developer. Nomura, one of the most famous character designers, started out as an illustrator in Squaresoft until he rose to well, Nomura. Miyamoto wanted to be a mangaka, etc. The only obstacle in your road that I can see, is yourself

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

You can still do it in time! It's just that the fun stuff - the art, the character design, balance, the theme/name - is so rarely the real hard stuff, and, at least for me, I've found that once I start talking too much about the fun stuff, I can never find the time for the hard stuff. But people have done the art>designer many a time, and while it will take serious dedication to crank out a bunch of small projects first as a means to learn even basic programming, I'm sure it can be done.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta star somewhere dude. You think your first game is gonna be a fully fleshed out, balanced fighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.