• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

D'ya take compliments well?

• I tend to like being complimented.

Votes: 46 17.6%
  • Compliments tend to feel fake to me.

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Indfferent towards them, but they're nice.

Votes: 28 10.7%
  • Really depends on who/what.

Votes: 40 15.3%
  • COMPLIMENTS!! WHERE?! HUH, WUT?!

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • No, I just don't take them well in general.

Votes: 79 30.2%

• Total voters

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Personal experience is your truth. Some soak in 'em. Some get 'em in the form of creepy letters. Some see them as hollow, 'specially from strangers or Adoring Fans. And some are indifferent. A lot of the times it depends on who's providing it and how, riight?

But, ya know, 'overall', in general, how has the so-called 'compliment' fitted into your life? ;p

EDIT: New poll choice for straight 'no'.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Honestly I have trouble responding to any of them i don't know what to say and I just get flustered.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
xi8J0Ce.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As a general rule, no. Primarily because the one time I ever believed in someone saying something nice about how I look it wound up getting me sexually assaulted as a prank.

Nowadays I get really uncomfortable when literally anyone compliments me, but especially when they compliment my appearance.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No, to me people are always lying.

And if it's something little like "nice shirt" I just go
- Huum... ahnn... thanks.....

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I get...I dunno. Complements feel bad to me? If that makes sense? Like I need to demure and compliment the other person more than me. Like I don't deserve it.

However I give out compliments like candy, randomly to strangers.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take compliments better the less I know the person. If they don't know me well, like they leave a comment on a fanfic or tell me I'm funny in Discord or something, I'll generally believe them, because they barely know me, so they have no reason to lie.

But when people I know well compliment me, I'm far less likely to believe them. I think they're just being nice to avoid hurting my feelings.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Usually people compliment me on work, which is important because that means I'm not close to being fired. I do take them with humility.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
My therapist once dedicated an entire session to teaching me how to take a compliment, haha. I think he did it because he complimented me for making good progress and I lapsed into that typical "I don't think I am, it's nothing special" behavior.

Apparently many people struggle with it, when a "hey, thanks man" is often already enough.

It's a two-way street. You get to feel good because someone complimented you, the person complimenting you gets to feel good because you acknowledge it.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, also compliment the shit outta people, even the tiniest gesture can make a tiny moment better.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I love compliments. Randos online blech but compliments from friends always make me feel warm and fuzzy.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
my coworker had to train me on how to take compliments.

she said, "hey, nice shirt"
i said, "ok"
"that's not a good response"

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Depends.

If they compliment my phone voice and/or my smile, it's genuine. My shit's fantastic.

Otherwise, it's case by case on whether I trust it or if they're just trying to be nice.

The worst ones are "omg, you've been working out!" when I really haven't and my muscles feel like a limp noodle because I haven't been working out. Doesn't feel good, feels bad actually.

In general I don't like receiving them because they're almost always strangely awkward.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife thinks I'm bad at taking compliments but what the hell does she know she thinks I'm handsome.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
I typically complimented a few times a week, it is generally a nice gesture. It's easy to be gracious too, you just saw awww thank you! And then the next time you see that person you can say hi!

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Changes based on the person. Stranger? I'll be cute about it but it doesn't do much for me. Person I know? Like an "Oh. Oh? Aw thanks." Person I'm close with? "Yeah yeah shuddup" if not a "no u"

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
In both professional and casual situations I don't really know what to say.

I'm a pretty shy person. It's a "Thanks" with a goofy smile I regret.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I don't handle praise or compliments very well, at least not in larger group settings. And it's not because I think people are being disingenous, I just hate having all eyes on me.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
not really a fan

for stuff that is like, a task i am supposed to accomplish i hate getting compliments because i just see it as baseline performance and i dont like being singled out for something that i dont think much of, when other people seem to do a lot more

but then there are also a lot of like weird specific things i get proud or excited about that few compliment me on or find interesting so i think i just have skewed priorities

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
They make me uncomfortable in person and I usually shrug them off, but they do make me feel better.

I have a hard time taking compliments for my work at work considering I'm on Era most of the day and I know I could be doing better lol.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Depends on the context.

I liked reading the positive reviews of my book, but then seeing the few negative ones sent me into a spiral of self-loathing for a good while.
I don't read reviews any more.

In person? I'm an awkward weirdo anyway so I respond in my usual fashion with some stammered joke.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I mostly tend to take them as fake, but when i acknowledge by myself that i did something good or made progress on anything i tend to appreciate them.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Introverted as all hell here, so compliments make me squirm internally but I try my best to accept them graciously....I also have that internal Lisa Simpson filter..."scanning for sarcasm...IT'S CLEAN, go!"

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I take genuine compliments well, because I can tell if the person is actually paying attention to whatever I did to deserve the compliment.

If someone is fishing for good social karma by throwing out a baseless compliment towards me, I will call that sort of thing out because those are the sorts of compliments that make people feel awkward.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
No. I know I don't deserve them so the only two options are a) the person is lying or b) the person is wrong (and/or I tricked them into thinking I'm better than I am.) Neither option makes me think very well of myself. I actively request my friends not compliment me and if I'm around someone who keeps doing it I start to avoid them.

The BEST case scenario with a compliment is that the other person feels good that they "made me feel better". I can say "thanks" and put a smile on my face, but they always make me feel like shit.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just politely say 'thank you'. It's never bothered me.

It really doesn't need much more than that unless you've just accomplished some superhuman feat.

Jun 10, 2018
Um....I Don't really take them well, primarily because I went most of my life without getting them. So I'm mostly lost at how to respond to them, and my go-to response is usually along the lines of "O...k....I guess 🤷🏾‍♂️"

The one that always throws me for a loop is any compliment about my freckles. Just weird to me.

Edit: I should clarify it's only compliments on my physical appearance I don't take well. Compliments regarding anything else I soak up like a smug sumnbitch.

Introverted as all hell here, so compliments make me squirm internally but I try my best to accept them graciously....I also have that internal Lisa Simpson filter..."scanning for sarcasm...IT'S CLEAN, go!"
I think you squirm internally because of something related to shyness or social anxiety. Introversion has very little to do with what you described.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how to receive them in the sense that I don't know how to properly react, other than an embarrassed "T-thank you" : }
7766ca4792af19a8754b96ff98c51eec.jpg

I avoid them for that :v
I wish I could compliment others more though.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I remember my very first day of college... A girl walking past said "Oh my god I love your shirt!" and I replied, "Oh! Thanks man!" Never in my life until that point had I called anyone, Man.... I've come a long way since then.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be bad at accepting them because I thought I didn't deserve them. I still think that but now I'm a bit better at graciously accepting a compliment. Well, I can still be awkward about it but I no longer come across as a haughty dick at least.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
lol no. i dont think much of myself in general so general praise from a human being must be a work and they probably need cash or something.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It's difficult. I'm so not used to receive them so when they do come my insecurities take over and I just kind of take on the idea of "I was just doing my job".

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
No. Just a lot of blushing and 'i could do better'. Especially in regards to weight loss. 'you look so good! You lost so much weight!!' yeah, but I still have a gut. I'm still far away from my goal weight. I still have work to do

I don't like compliments

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Ew no. I take them like punches to the gut, question what their ulterior motive is, and then scuttle away as fast as I can!