• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Movie fans are side-eyeing you right now with your thousands of games you haven't finished.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The impact wlll felt the most by people who only pay attention to the handful of biggest AAA games each year, since those people are ignoring 95% of what comes out already anyway.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
2020 was absolutely garbage in my opinion . One of the weakest years outside of tlou2 ghost and cyberpunk.

It's always going to depend on what you like but looking through there was a lot of different stuff. Yakuza 7, Animal Crossing, Project Diva Switch, Nioh 2, Crusader Kings III, people love Hades, DOOM Eternal, Half Life Alyx, FFVII remake, Sakura Wars localizaton, 13 Sentinels, etc.

Pretty normal year, I think.

May 29, 2018
I'm excited for Hitman this month, Persona 5 Strikers next month I'll pick it up after I finish royal, and March apparently has Mass Effect Remastered and Monster Hunter Rise, Nier in april and Deathloop in May. I'm happy with this schedule cause it gives me time to enjoy the games without feeling pressured to rush them

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a good year to just play through Yakuza 4 through 7 lol

Or at least, until Flight Sim releases on X in the summer.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you've ever experienced a video game drought in the past 5+ years, you need to expand your horizons. Gaming droughts are a thing of the past.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get ready for a lot of big AAA delays to 2022, which is understandable

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
you can't even buy the consoles right now, I've always read that the console manufacturers like Sony, MS make a lot of their real profit on sales of software so maybe they will hold off on big new releases until the consoles are readily available to purchase.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
March looks ridiculous tbh. I think beyond that it might get rough, but I don't really mind.

I'd much rather have games come out when they're fully ready. I had a handful of games tanked by my experience with bugginess in Q4, that's what I'm more worried about now.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I envy people that feel these droughts cause my backlog only increases even as we speak

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yup OP it's about to start. When Covid hit, most games due for 2021 were mostly content-complete (worlds, textures, voices, etc.), only needing to be polished for release. What remained to be done was clear and obvious and didn't require a lot team-based creative iteration, brainstorm, or specialized equipment that couldn't be brought home. This can't be said for games in active production or pre-production, and those will get hit hard.

I know that many games slated for the spring have been pushed back to later in the year. Lower-budget games with smaller teams and no big tech might fare better, but big complex AAA will suffer greatly.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
It already started, it surely impacted the delays of Halo Infinite (not saying it wouldn't have happened but certainly it made things worse), the state of Cyberpunk (again, a mess is a mess, but Covid made it messier) and some more. I think we'll feel it for a couple of years.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I can't find consoles or GPUs, so I think the delays of new games will not be a problem.

Voice over I think they are working. Here in Italy they made covid-protocols to work in a safe ways.

Oct 27, 2017
Lowkey not even mad, I'd love to catch up on the games I started but haven't finished honestly. Could also catch up on shows, movies, etc.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah I think so. Thankfully gamepass has enough to keep me going for quite some time, and if cyberpunk does eventually get to a playable stage then I'll play that too.

Backlogs will be defeated!

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Some of yall must be plowing through games to be thirsty. I have so many recent last gen releases to get through its not even funny. The PS4 droughts I had back in 2013 were pretty terrible though especially rebuying tomb raider to hold me over until infamous ss came out which turned out to be mediocre then to turn around and rebuy TLOU and play through that again with prettier graphics for the 4th time lol. It wasn't a good first year, especially since Battlefield 4 was broken as hell and unplayable for me.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Plenty of new gen ports for the first half of the year thankfully, that's keeping me in the game

That and my huge preexisting backlog

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't know how anybody can look at the absolute bangers coming out in the next six months and think there's a drought. This is the strongest first half of a year for video games in years.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Perfect opportunity for people to play through games that they missed in the PS4/XB1 generation. I know I missed a lot.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
In the first four months of the year, so far, there are six games I want to buy/play.

There will likely be more announced for release by the end of April.

*shrug* I'm not sure I see games slowing down.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The drought will start when I can non longer buy games I'm interested in and didn't play yet. Basically I'm set for this gen and the followings.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll stick a specific example of how 2021 releases in my industry are continuing to be impacted, not because it's 100% relevant to games but because I think it's interesting.

I work in music. One of the artists that I work with was supposed to have an album released this month. January 2021. The original plan was for them to be in the studio (in another country) in May 2020. That obviously got canned, because they weren't able to travel (or be in a room with that many people, realistically) so we put the record back to a tentative Autumn 2021 with a plan to get into the studio whenever it was deemed safe and responsible to do so. Straight away that's a 8-9 month delay.

We finally managed to get in at the end of the Summer 2020 (by massively reducing the amount of people we'd have in the studio and rigorously making sure everyone had quarantined/been sensible) and got all of that done. We gave ourselves x months to get the rest of the recording finished from home studios/remotely and then get it mixed and mastered. In a typical year, when you send a record off to get pressed/manufactured, you'd give three months for that process. That's three months for the pressing plants to press the vinyl. It sounds like a lot (and it is!) but there aren't many plants and there are a lot of records queued up waiting for pressing every week of ever year.

Because COVID has affected the pressing plants (both through shutdowns/restrictions but also because of staff health problems directly related to the pandemic) we're now being told that we need to deliver the finished, mastered record seven months before we need them in hand to send out to our distributors. SEVEN MONTHS. That's now putting in jeopardy our Autumn 2021 release and maybe push the record back to early 2022. All the time during which the artist is unable to tour or play festivals to earn their living, which is where the vast majority of their income would typically come from.

This is madness. But, yeah, knock-on effects. And just highlighting that 'working from home' (or not being able to get into the office) is only a small part of a much larger issue for a lot of projects.

Basically, this is gonna be hindering the process differently for different projects but it'll continue to be hugely disruptive for a long time.

Thanks for sharing this! Wow.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
March is STACKED and I've got a backlog/library of hundreds of games not including a multi year sub to GP Ultimate. Plus indies will keep on churning if nothing else. There could be a drought until 2024 and I'd be fine.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Many titles will be delayed, however there is more than enough titles coming out, especially if one has multiple consoles/PC/etc... Plus, let's face it, it is very unlikely most folks played through all the good to great titles on PS4, Xbox One, PC and Switch over last 4-5 years. Backlogs are huge and prices for older games are cheap.

I am going to be playing a lot of RPGs I never finished, Yakuza, got ME Trilogy coming, etc... There are a ton of games in my backlog, so I am more than comfortable buying couple games this year and call it a day :).

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'll stick a specific example of how 2021 releases in my industry are continuing to be impacted, not because it's 100% relevant to games but because I think it's interesting.

I work in music. One of the artists that I work with was supposed to have an album released this month. January 2021. The original plan was for them to be in the studio (in another country) in May 2020. That obviously got canned, because they weren't able to travel (or be in a room with that many people, realistically) so we put the record back to a tentative Autumn 2021 with a plan to get into the studio whenever it was deemed safe and responsible to do so. Straight away that's a 8-9 month delay.

We finally managed to get in at the end of the Summer 2020 (by massively reducing the amount of people we'd have in the studio and rigorously making sure everyone had quarantined/been sensible) and got all of that done. We gave ourselves x months to get the rest of the recording finished from home studios/remotely and then get it mixed and mastered. In a typical year, when you send a record off to get pressed/manufactured, you'd give three months for that process. That's three months for the pressing plants to press the vinyl. It sounds like a lot (and it is!) but there aren't many plants and there are a lot of records queued up waiting for pressing every week of ever year.

Because COVID has affected the pressing plants (both through shutdowns/restrictions but also because of staff health problems directly related to the pandemic) we're now being told that we need to deliver the finished, mastered record seven months before we need them in hand to send out to our distributors. SEVEN MONTHS. That's now putting in jeopardy our Autumn 2021 release and maybe push the record back to early 2022. All the time during which the artist is unable to tour or play festivals to earn their living, which is where the vast majority of their income would typically come from.

This is madness. But, yeah, knock-on effects. And just highlighting that 'working from home' (or not being able to get into the office) is only a small part of a much larger issue for a lot of projects.

Basically, this is gonna be hindering the process differently for different projects but it'll continue to be hugely disruptive for a long time.
Damn new Drake ain't coming for awhile

OP
OP
justiceiro

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I agree with most of you, but I can't shake the feeling that we will get a "my next gen console/gpu is gathering dust" thread every other week. I mean, no sane person spent $500~$2000 in new gaming equipment to play $10 dollar games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Deleting all of this because I thought I was in another thread.

lol

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be the year of "back log" for me. There's so many games I've got that I want to play through that I've bought on sales/whims, and up until recently been bombarded with new releases that I'm interested in. Now that the slow down is in play, I'll be able to go back and play some series and some games I haven't felt like I had the time for, and maybe even platinum some old favorites (hello Tsushima and Odyssey).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than Hitman 3 next week the next few months sure do look rough for exciting releases IMO.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I agree with most of you, but I can't shake the feeling that we will get a "my next gen console/gpu is gathering dust" thread every other week. I mean, no sane person spent $500~$2000 in new gaming equipment to play $10 dollar games.
Using my $500 PS5 to clear my PS4 backlog. It is nice even $10 games are now running 4K, 60FPS

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
I was due for an upgrade on the pc front (was on a 970) so I'm ok catching up on stuff like control, gears 5, etc. But I'm definitely glad I did not get caught up on the hype of a day 1 console. First time since the PS2 I haven't bought a console on launch day and I'm fine with it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Not sure how much this will impact things, I feel many people and companies had a phase mid 2020 where everyone tried to be super secure, private people too and then because humans are like humans are, everyone got used to it and after some weeks and months everyone opened up more and more and even if many places and countries are at their worst Corona time right now, bad examples, Jimmy Fallon still has shows in front of small live audiences, AEW adds more and more people to their arena every single week and I'm pretty sure other workplaces act kinda the same. The more time passes the more they normalize things, so many probably just continue to work with some changes and some people working from home, but work will continue in some form.