• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does your PS4 have a loud fan?

• Yes, my PS4 is loud.

Votes: 306 29.6%
  • Yes, my PS4 Pro is loud.

Votes: 403 39.0%
  • No, my PS4 is not loud.

Votes: 237 22.9%
  • No, my PS4 Pro is not loud.

Votes: 217 21.0%

• Total voters

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I've dealt with a lot of PS4's as I deal with them second hand as well as owning my own and upgrading to nearly every model over time except revised OG model 1200 and 7000 launch Pro. The only ones I've seen with jet engine fans are OG 1100 models and launch 7000 model Pro's and they were usually trashed by the owner.

Never had ANY problems with matte top 1200 (the revised OG model), Slim, and Pro 2nd model 7100 or latest 7200 model, they've all been absolutely fine. Honestly slims and 7200 Pro's run like a dream, very quiet.

Never had any issues with any I've owned personally too. However the ones that do have jet engines I've seen, wow that is an unacceptable noise when in person.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
I voted no because my is usually quiet, but sometimes it gets really loud for brief periods of time then calms down on its own. So it's a not with a sprinkle of yes.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
No, both my OG PS4 and Pro are only loud on certain game menus, but generally not too noisy otherwise.

I was just about convinced that it's mostly a meme, but I guess I'm just fortunate. Sony obviously is taking quiet cooling seriously with PS5.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Early 2014 base PS4 that wasn't loud but did get hot on later games (and heat up the room I'm in). I generally kept it free of dust though and did a compressed air clean form time to time. I'm one of those people that are really happy about the PS5 dust collectors!

After 2½-ish years, seen as the manufacturer warranty had ran out I decided to open it up and change the thermal paste and never had any problems with heat after that either.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yes and no. Its been getting louder for a while (or maybe I'm just noticing more) but it's still nowhere near jet engine levels.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Have a launch Pro and it goes into overdrive whenever the menus are up in COD, especially Cold War Beta...holy hell!

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
My PS4 Pro (launch model) gets extremely noisy, I can't wait for the PS5 to play my PS4 games on it. Replaced the thermal paste twice.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
Mine is whisper quiet. Even with with the well know CoD menu problem.
Although i have the latest Pro revision. Its 1 year old now.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
My PS4 Pro is loud to the point where you need to raise your speaking voice when talking to someone else in the room. It's as loud as a freaking air mattress pump. Probably louder, actually.

And the disk drive crapped out after 2 years.

And it's creaky as hell.

Just terrible build quality.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think my launch Pro is quite as loud as others seem to be. It's still loud in some games, but it's more the frequency that gets to me. The fan noise is rather high pitched, and it cuts through my headphones.

Oct 27, 2017
My regular ps4 was loud, but after its original hard drive failed I replaced it with an SSD and it's now loads quieter. I'd recommend it for anyone who is keeping theirs around for a little while longer, instead of going with a ps5 at launch.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Only on pause menus, and depends on the game. FF7R is the first game I played and I stopped and went "holy shit that's loud".

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
So loud I have to wear headphones to use it.

I love my PS4, but fuck me both the PS3 and PS4 were/are noisy AF

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
My PS4 is loud sometimes. Currently playing Destroy All Humans Remake and the fans when I'm in menus are possibly the loudest I've ever heard them.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
I have a launch PS4 and it is incredibly loud. So loud I've given up playing on it, just waiting for the PS5 now.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was so damn loud and then I changed the thermal paste about 3/4 of a year ago and the fan hasn't spun up to its high speed once. I actually thought I had broken it and the fan wasn't spinning initially but no. It had been so loud you could hear it from other rooms through multiple closed doors.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Yep my ps747 pro is and always has been obnoxiously loud, i have opened it and dusted it and changed the thermal paste, it did nothing, i am so done with it now that i really don't want to play games on it anymore.

Ghost of tsushima was the last game i played on it, riding around in those stunning landscapes was kinda soured by hearing the whine of a jet engine loud enough to reach me through a pair of fancy noise cancelling headphones.

I will hold off on getting the ps5 until i have seen proper independent measurements of the decibel levels, i know the closed preview events have said it was quiet but the same was said on preview events of the ps4 and the ps4 pro and look how that turned out, people saying "cerny said it will be quiet" means nothing, he designed the ps4 and the pro so his track record on quiet consoles is not very good.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
still using my launch ps4 and it works totally fine, but yeah i noticed this morning it's getting up there. not quite dreamcast-levels but noticeable enough lol. and luckily it's really not anything that bothers me at all

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I barely play my PS4 Pro now due to the noise. PES 2019 is unbearable due to the fan going crazy.

It is even noticeable while idle or using Netflix. And this is the RDR2 model, it was supposed to be quieter.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
🔫Always has been

4i2b1g.jpg