• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
No. I love Diablo and action RPGs but I'm not a big fan of mobile games.

Anyone that likes Diablo type games should be playing Path Of Exile, it's not on mobile but it just released on PS4 and it has been available on PC and Xbox for some time now.

It's super complex, but you can just play the super long campaign (10 chapters) and leave at that with minimal knowledge of game mechanics. I just started on PS4 and I'm having a blast.

I don't think that anyone here is operating under the assumption that we would play a mobile ARPG instead of a PC or console/handheld based one. For me, a mobile game is always going to be something that I do when I just don't have access to my PC, consoles or Switch, and Diablo Immortal could absolutely fill that niche.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually excited for it and was kind of disappointed to see it wasn't present at PAX East. Diablo seems like a perfect fit for mindless phone time wasting.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually excited for it and was kind of disappointed to see it wasn't present at PAX East. Diablo seems like a perfect fit for mindless phone time wasting.
I agree with this. I'm excited for the potential of the game and I'm sure the gameplay will be good...... but the money part of it has me very concerned.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it will be a huge hit. I'll play it for 10 minutes and give up because I am old and can't deal with touch controls for that kind of gameplay.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
lmao
going against the grain and calling it now

this game is going to be good! get your crow ready

The Diablo faithful are too blinded by their notion that PC is the only proper place to play the game to approach Immortal on its own terms, insisting that it's a zero-sum game. Hell, they did the same thing when Diablo III was ported to consoles, and god forbid you should bring up the notion of backporting controller support to the PC.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't struggle to fill most of my keyboard with D3 hotkeys, and that's in addition to using a mouse. I can't imagine playing D:I and not getting frustrated with the controls sooner or later, no matter how perfectly great the game might hypothetically turn out to be.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
For me it'll boil down to the loot mechanics. If they are grind to win, heavily monetized garbage...I'm out. If it's reasonable, I'll probably play for sure.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm looking forward to trying it honestly. Myself and a buddy from work are interested in doing some co-op together if it turns out to be a decent game. Typically I'm not too keen on mobile games, but considering it will likely cost me nothing to install and try out, why wouldn't I? A good ARPG experience on my phone could be huge for me. All going to depend on payment model, and game systems. I'm not entirely convinced Blizzard can make a truly indepth ARPG with the correct balance of systems to make it really work long term. I know this isn't internally developed, but I imagine they're overseeing it.

It's not Diablo 4, but that's fine. We'll get that eventually, and hopefully it's good.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I mean, Elder Scrolls Blades was somewhat exciting back then. Look at it now...

Any hope for a mobile game that doesn't lean heavily on the MTX side of predatory practices doesn't really exist. Any game that does is an exception, not the norm. And if this game wants to be an exception, it has to earn it, and it can't do that until they actually finalize their plans for what they're doing with it and put it in our hands.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

I'm definitely interested in giving it a go. Getting in some Diablo on the go seems interesting.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As a mobile Diablo game, it will make loads of cash. Seems like a perfect Diablo lite game with the actual Diablo name attached and not just one of the numerous Diablo wannabes.

As a solid sequel for diehard Diablo fans that have been waiting since D3 dropped, nope. It's not what they want. At all.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like covering half my screen with my fingers to play a game and being charged excessive amounts of money on MTX. So no.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good lord no. In terms of worst misses in video game history, Diablo Immortal is at or near the top.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
For me no, I'm sure there are tons of people that do spend a shit ton of money on mobile games already that can't wait to spend even more on this. I just don't want to play anything full of microtransactions, and this just feels like it will be. Blizzard just went and ruined another franchise in my eyes that I don't ever want to touch again

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
For me it'll boil down to the loot mechanics. If they are grind to win, heavily monetized garbage...I'm out. If it's reasonable, I'll probably play for sure.

You won't be playing then. Companies don't make mobile games to offer compelling, fun experiences in a portable form factor - they universally do it to extract as many dollars from as many whales as possible.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if there's anything like "unlock an epic rarity item you picked up in 3 hours, or used (premium) gems to unlock it now" then I doubt I'll play this for more than an hour.
Sadly that's exactly the kind of thing I'm expecting (and hoping to be wrong about!).

I just can't think of how they could monetize this and keep me interested.
-Make it a premium app? I'd like that but it would probably sell poorly.
-Ads? Might be OK, just put an unobtrusive ad banner in the character menu and video ads between levels and I could live with that.
-Optional IAP's? Stuff like color changes, costumes, item transmogrification, maybe even functional things like bigger storage capacity I could see being charged for if they are cheap enough (or purchasable in-game without requiring excessive grinding).

I personally don't mind Plants vs. Zombies 2's F2P methods even though it does have a lot of IAP's.
The levels are all beatable without using consumable powers (which are also buy able with in-game earnable money) or premium plants. There are a lot of hard levels probably to incenticize you to spend money, but still all doable free.
And there's some functionality upgrades that are IAP (like an extra plant slot, bigger power slots, etc), but nothing required to beef all the levels or ruin the experience without them.

The game also got a ton of free updates that added a lot of new worlds, more free (and more premium) plants to use, and new functionality like multiplayer and an upgrade system (that didnt manage to break the game thankfully). So I actually felt good about spending a little money in the game instead of feeling FORCED to do it to have a less sucky time.

Path of Exile is F2P and people like that game alot, right?
Maybe Blizzard can just copy that game's F2P mechanics and make a game people will love to play.

Again, I'm expecting the worst from this, but there's still a small possibility that they could manage to pull this off.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to check it out. I used to love those Gameloft knockoff Diablo games, Dungeon Hunter I think it was.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've heard any mention of this game since it was announced. The last I heard wasn't it pretty much just an asset flip from a Chinese mobile game? I'm sure it will make money, and probably be heavily monetized, but I don't see it getting much attention on gaming sites. It will probably have a lot of youtube ads at launch, make a fair amount of money, and then never be talked about again until the next Blizzard conference. But I'm cynical, so maybe I'll be wrong.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
The reveal aside, no. Not hyped for it and i love Diablo.

I drive to work and if I don't have access to my PC or consoles, I don't have time to play games. I don't use my Switch anywhere but home for example.

When I am home I can spend my time playing bigger games or doing something else.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People play the trashiest mobile games, I'm sure it will do fine.

Whether it has any real value to a Diablo fan is a completely different topic.

Oct 25, 2017
No. This is nothing more than a cashgrab for the asian market. Hell, I remember that article Jason wrote about what the hell is happening at Blizzard and one of the employees straight said Diablo Immortal was for China and that's why it truly exists.

This will be trash but people love throwing untold amounts of money at these things so it will make a profit within the week. If utter travesties like The Elder Scrolls Blades can make as much as it did, the quality of Diablo Immortal will mean nothing.

At least Activision is happy.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ guys, It's a fucking Blizzard game. Millions upon millions will play it. Feel sad about being left out though,

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think it's going to be big. bought a bunch of activision stock because of it mostly

personally it's something i have no interest in. if i was big on mobile maybe, i love diablo, but mobile/f2p stuff is an area of gaming i have no interest in with regards to my time

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I will play it until the monetization starts to annoy me, which is usually 1-2weeks. If the mtx is super aggressive it might just last a few minutes.

To anyone poo poo ing it: this will most likely rake in money in Asia, which is probably all ActiBlizz is expecting and enough to make it worth the investment.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'd rather pay $60 for a complete game than deal with bullshit micro transactions, regardless of platform. Even mobile.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ guys, It's a fucking Blizzard game. Millions upon millions will play it. Feel sad about being left out though,
giphy.gif

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 days): inappropriate commentary and inflammatory generalisation

Tell that to Asia. A large portion of this forum reeks of old farts who don't realize their prime is past, and rail pointlessly at a changing world that will only piss them off further. You either keep the attitude and stay mad, or you chill the fuck out and maybe enjoy something that you probably loaded with prejudice to begin with,

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for reminding me that this atrocity exist. The temptation to give it a try will be here, hey labeled as a free game, but will resist, unless what they show when its release is not what they show us.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Tell that to Asia. A large portion of this forum reeks of old farts who don't realize their prime is past, and rail pointlessly at a changing world that will only piss them off further. You either keep the attitude and stay mad, or you chill the fuck out and maybe enjoy something that you probably loaded with prejudice to begin with,

I don't think you understand why people think It's terrible. It's a literal RESKIN of another game that's already came out for mobiles. It's not something new. It's LITERALLY a reskin.