• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you care about the awards?

• Hell yeah I do

Votes: 398 17.6%
  • No why would I?

Votes: 1,857 82.4%

• Total voters

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't care in a genuine sense, but I quite enjoy the reveals and annual dose of cringe and I find it fun to root for my favorites and see what happens, knowing full well the obvious biases in play.

It's gotten better over time too, with the production values improving and the cringe getting, uh, cringier generally each year. My wife and I have made something of an event out of it, in fact, making sure to have plenty of "World Premiere" drinking game beers on hand!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me trailers of unreleased games. Heck release the trailers hours before the event and I'll be good like the Superbowl last year (I didn't even watch the entertainment commercials this year).

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

Reveals are all I really watch for. If there's a good musical performance or something, that's cool.

I could care less about the actual awards.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. I think these games and developers deserve the recognition. All the nominated games are fantastic games and it's nice to see them getting some sort of tangible accolade.

I'm glad the Game Awards is able to provide that.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I'm fine if my favorite game doesn't win, but I care about the awards because it celebrates the hard work of the people who make the games.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I like seeing them accept the awards vs who actually wins them. I like seeing people in the industry get recognized and have a moment that they deserve for working so hard and putting up with so much crap from "fans".

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
The whole point of the awards is to celebrate the medium. It's cool and all to get new game announcements and such, but we should all be celebrating the medium that we love and tune in to see the accomplishments of the games that released throughout the year.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
It's nice to see, and there are games I'm rooting for in each category for sure. But not to the point of, like, being upset if they lose, because it seems like a nice celebration of gaming developers.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Nah, they are something meaningless at the end of the day and people forgot who won and lost a couple of hours later.

If anything the announcements are a big deal, the MK 11 reveal in 2018 was crazy

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Results is genuinely depressing. The awards portion should be better, but why can't we have fun seeing which games and the developers behind them get to be recognized by members of the industry?

Nah, just give me my advertisements!

Says everything about the game industry and its fans when the biggest game award show is a platform for marketing and getting people to get hyped and preorder shit instead of actually recognizing the work of developers. It's insincere and that's why it's always bad.

But I also think it's a reflection on the people watching. I don't think the results would change much if they managed to make the show more sincere. I think it stays insincere because of the audience.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I only care about this thing because I want to hear something PS5 related announced like PS4 enhancements or some shit

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
To be fair Keighley did a great job with the recent and past Game Awards events. I think TGA is the perfect event to end a year of gaming, it gives recognition to the games released that year and the developers behind those games then it provides glimpses of the future through reveals and trailers. For me it is right for what it is.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Sure, its always personaly satisfying when a game i really enjoyed gets some form of recognition. Like when last year Fire Emblem had been snubbed from Game of the Year, it was cool (and kind of unexpected) to see it win the popular voice award. No big deal though.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Not really. Just watching it with some friends and laughing about the (exaggerated on purpose) reactions we made with every award winner.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, though the fighting game section being botched so hard this year sort of made me miffed.

I swear if that thing goes to a DLC compilation...

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
With the Academy Awards and Golden Globes, people usually remember the winners.

I don't even remember who won The Game Awards last year. That's anecdotal evidence, but it at least tells me that I don't care much.

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
50/50. I am here mostly for the trailers, but part of me hopes at least to see FFVII Remake winning the soundtrack award

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes. I'm happy for the people who made something I like getting recognized for it. Same with every other award show across all mediums.

When GOW won it was extremely satisfying to see the studio celebrated for what they achieved.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Why should I care, when they themselves don't really care for most of the awards?
It's and advertisement show, where most people watch because of new trailers and shit.
Also rules get changed every year, just to please certain games. I would love a big ceremony that would
actually celebrate people in the industry, to give them a face. I remember that one time when Roberta and Ken Williams
got an Life time award. That was great, give me more of this

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Some wins are nice to see. Last year was especially great, like Ludvig Forssell getting an award for the Death Stranding OST and From Software finally also getting a well-deserved GOTY.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The Awards are the excuse to have a joint E3 conference with all the big companies of the industry and some Indies. They might as well pat themselves on the back with some awards while they're at it.

Oct 25, 2017
I care in the sense that Animal Crossing or TLOU2 winning GOTY will make people mad and that'll be amusing, but beyond that not really.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because I like seeing my peers recognised for the hard jobs they do. Gamers tend to focus on specific developers and celebrities, forgetting that tens, hundreds, sometimes thousands of people are involved in bringing the games they love to market. It's really nice seeing teams get the recognition they deserve, even if just through a nomination.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the winners but I find the whole production great entertainment. I think Geoff has done a grand job of taking it from where it was to what we have today. I realise some people find it overhyped and a bit cringey but I like it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
In a year like this with Sony hoarding most nominations is less competitive and hence less fun, because people can't cheer for his platform of choice

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if Animal Crossing or TLOU2 wins i will be mildly amused by The Gamers being angry but that's about it.

they should just give out the awards in the preshow.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Nah not really. Sure there like 100 different game of the year awards anyways lol. Just cause the TGAs have a bit more money/production dosent make them more significant than any other award.

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think the people making the game awards care who wins based on how many of them are not even announced on the show itself. I know all award shows are marketing, but these ones don't ever let you forget you're watching a giant commercial. When Edge or Eurogamer do a GOTY feature of some kind, I'm interested, and kind of use it as a guide to pick up anything I might have overlooked, but The Game Awards? Nah.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm only here for the reveals. Don't care about anything else in the slightest. I won't even watch the show, just catch up on the reveals after the fact.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't particularly care who wins which reward. I mainly watch it for the some announcements of new games. The music and visual spectacle as part of the package is also something enjoyable.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty depressing actually that TGA is becoming nothing more than a trailer fest. Says a lot about gamers that we, as a whole, don't really care about celebrating the art form but rather obsess over the next shiny new thing. Even worse, the awards become fuel for arguments and perceived injustices. There's discussion going on that one/other publishers HAVE to show at this event. Like there's pressure to do so. That's bonkers. Like showing trailers at the Oscars.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Typically no, but I'd like Hades to win because it's the first and only roguelite to absolutely convince me that the genre can work. And I wouldn't mind TLOU2 winning either because the game is A+ (a lot better than the first game) and I'd like to see its subreddit in tears.

I probably had a little more fun with Persona 5 Royal and Nioh 2 but those games are a little too Japanese to be nominated for these things. Still, not a bad list of GOTY candidates.