• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you care about the awards?

• Hell yeah I do

Votes: 398 17.6%
  • No why would I?

Votes: 1,857 82.4%

• Total voters

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't really care about any awards ceremonies event the supposedly 'prestigious' ones like the oscars. Like most things in gaming i'm a little embarrassed to even be associated with the game awards.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I personally don't but it's nice that the developers get some recognition I guess. Though, the ones who accept the awards should be the devs that put in all that shitty crunch time instead of the "faces" of the particular game/company who made the game.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I only really care about the announcements. At best, if the game I like most wins GOTY I tend to feel happy for the devs.

The awards are more for the industry itself than it is for us.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's not going to make or break my day, but I do have preferences for which games win each categories. And I really enjoy seeing the excitement of the award winners because it IS very meaningful for them. You work hard on something for 3+ years straight and then tell me that these are just imaginary awards. (What even constitutes a non-imaginary award?)

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I might of watched them a little bit a few years ago? Maybe clips, I don't know. Don't give a shit at all.

It's great for peoples work to be recognized, but gaming is just a dumpster fire of assholes so I don't take it any more seriously than I play to occupy my time.

Which to be fair is the same way I feel about any awards.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Not this year. TLOU2, Tsushima and Hades are all fine with me. I was passionate the year God of War was up against Red Dead 2 though, because I really, really like the God of War reboot.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. As an event it loads itself with ads and sponsorships and celebrities from other mediums and new game reveals, and a bunch of awards have been relegated to off screen or pre show in the past.

It's an awards show that claims it wants to be the gaming Oscars but it's not even the MTV movie awards. They never hype it as a true celebration of the medium they hype it as a mini E3/ concert.

I appreciate the effort Geoff puts in and people enjoy it but if the show itself doesn't respect the awards why should anyone else.
It's light entertainment nothing more.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's an awards show that claims it wants to be the gaming Oscars but it's not even the MTV movie awards. They never hype it as a true celebration of the medium they hype it as a mini E3/ concert.
They do this because they have to.

The Oscars or the Grammys don't need reveals to get people to watch because there is inherent star power with actors, directors and musicians that game directors and performers will never be able to match, given that most of the work is done behind the scenes. And yet despite that all of those other award shows still have musical performances to help get people to watch. And they're on traditional media so they DO actually have ads, just not in the awards show itself lol. And even the Oscars is struggling with viewership iirc.

Like this is fairly straightforward lol.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No not really but I would still watch even if there was no premiers or news about new games. Supporting the industry you love is important and all nominees have hundreds of people affected by the games development so being recognized is important even as just a nominee.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy seeing devs being really excited they won an award, especially indie devs. A lot of indie devs look like they are getting a lot of validation and recognition they might not have seen before.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
I care in the sense that I like to see my favorite games of the year recognized, but I don't care so much that I will be upset if my pick loses

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Man, people are just pre-salting themselves huh.

I'll be happy if that niche game I like gets some recognition, it's a long shot but it would do wonders for 13 Sentinels if it wins best narrative over TLOU2.

Similarly if Persona 5 Royal wins best RPG over FF7R that would make my night.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This year, I know that The Last of Us 2 will win game of the year and at least a couple other awards, and it's all pretty much just the same handful of games nominated for everything this year so it just doesn't feel as exciting.

Pretty much only watching because I have not much better to do and for the hype of the reveals

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I want to see Hades win the big prize, Supergiant deserves it. Not super invested otherwise.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to see FFVIIR winning best score.

I would love to see FFVIIR winning GOTY but the chances are not high.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Announcements and trailers are the only use I have for that event. Don't care who wins or was even nominated.

Mar 19, 2020
You could say this about film, tv and music as well.
That's true, and I say that about those mediums as well. I do think games have even more that separates them though. I can't think of a good movie analog to describe how such different games as Tetris Effect: Connected and The Last of Us II could both contend for GOTY with different people.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Half the games that win in all the years they have been hosting it, I have probably never played and have no desire to.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i care especially if my favorite and non favourite game wins GOTY and i decided to work on the day as TGA airtime is very early morning

i really dun expect any sudden surprises as certain IPs are celebrating their anniversary in 2021 and predicting that my non favourite game will win many awards

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
1) I feel personally attacked

And

2) I hope The Last of Us Part II wins everything and Brie Larson presents them with their trophies.

ALL the internet salt. All of IT.

That would be legendary!

images

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Nah. Haven't paid attention game award news at all. I only found out it was starting tomorrow from the thread titles on Era. Only really planning to watch it for any news and reveals.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't care for awards shows in particular, but I do like when hard work is recognized and celebrated.

I'm not a fan of the "but this is the BEST" sort of competitive mentality, as there are so many talented studios out there, doing some incredible work, and many of them go unsung. I guess, ultimately, I'd love to see the enthusiast crowd of gaming broaden their scope beyond the latest "mega-blockbusters," and shine more light on the lesser known titles that are no less fantastic and worth your time (like The Pathless, or The Last Campfire, for example; two beautiful games that aren't exactly going to blow people away visually; although they are quite visually beautiful; but are quality games that should have a lot more buzz and interest than they do, even on enthusiast game forums.

My opinions on awards shows are that it's more about the celebrity presence and ceremony than it really is about the games. This coming from a guy that actually covered the VGAs a few years back, and it was interesting to see the other journalists blowing a gasket when Kim Kardashian, or Neil Patrick Harris walked by, while I was like, "Holy shit, it's Wil Wright! Can I ask you a few questions?!" and, "Ted Price and Hideo Kojima!" A few of the journalists next to me were even like, "Who was that? Nevermind, it's the American Rejects!" It was a little disheartening, to be honest, and kind of soured me on the whole idea of the VGAs for a bit.

At least, from what little I've seen, Geoff Keighly (not sure if I spelled his name right), seems to genuinely love gaming, so there's that, at least!

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Not so much, pretty much an afterthought for me. While I do really appreciate all the hard work that goes in to this event each year, I really tune in for the announcements.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I care in the sense that it's nice to see developers I like have a moment to shine (Itsuno getting his due, Miyazaki being handed an award by Vin Diesel (lol), etc).

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I was happy to see Devil May Cry 5 win an award.

Other than that, I don't see why it should really matter?
My only interest is in seeing new games and playing new games.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
The voting committee or whatever group that decides the games has proven themselves to be incredibly inept, there were problems for years but xenoblade 2 not even being nominated for best soundtrack was the straw that broke the camel's back. I always mainly viewed TGA as a game reveal event with awards on the side, now I only treat it as E3 2.0.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Voted yes. The awards are pretty fun and interesting, and it's a rare treat to see a speech from a dev of a game you really loved. I like awards shows in general, though I frequently disagree with the nominations.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I'm happy for the developers and actors who deserve it, but no I don't really care about the awards.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not really. Like it's cool that devs get recognized for their hard work like that, but it doesn't mean anything to me, nor is it all that interesting to watch outside of the premieres.

Entertainment award shows started out as private events, they're industry events that usually only really are of interest to those in the industry. Oscars, Emmys, Tonys, Grammys only work because they're entertainment and people love celebrity and the pageantry, but even that is waning a ton. Without the trailers and reveals no one would really care about the TGAs, which is fine that they use them. I'm sure plenty enjoy the publicity and recognition even if most people really aren't invested or there for that aspect.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I do like seeing the results for some of the awards I guess. I mean I really liked it when all the people from God of War went up on stage, because you know Rockstar probably wouldn't have done that (or I guess anybody this year lol 😢).
It's usually the smaller indie-awards when they actually go on stage that I like seeing the winner, I guess.

I think most of all I like the musical performances aside from the "hot new trailers."
Mick Gordon's performance when he played some Quake 2 music and the Red Dead Redemption musical performance stick out. There was another one that I remember thinking was great, but it's not coming to mind right now.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Lmao.

Video game awards have got to be some of the most meaningless awards ever...

Game of the Year gets awarded to like, 30 games by 700 different outlets and every part of the industry treats every single one of them the exact same way, with the exact same weight/prestige....

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Loads of nominated games are exclusives to platforms I don't own, so *shrug*. I don't feel qualified to have any opinion on them, so I tend to ignore their existance.

When some games that I happened to play get a shoutout (like Ori 2, or Raji), that's nice, I guess.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I usually do a watch party and make predictions on who will win, so I kind of care to try and beat them in our competition.

Otherwise, meh, I don't actually care. It's neat to see games I like doing well, but it doesn't matter much.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The only awards show that matters anymore is the academy awards. The rest you watch for performances or what not.