• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because let's face it, your choices are very limited in that game, either Kaiden/Ashley or Liara, whereas in 2, you get much more options (and much better options) for both Male and Female Shepard. It's part of the reason why in my inevitable Mass Effect videos... (might be my next Rise and Fall series) why I'm considering just skipping the romance for the first game.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never liked either of them so I never did. Always been a Jack lover

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always romance liara, partially because she has one of the best romance arcs throughout one, lair of the shadow broker and 3. But i think next time im gonna skip romance in one and go for miranda in 2 and stick with it in 3. I always break her heart
: (

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Ashley was my pick throughout the trilogy the first time I played it. But they did her dirty, especially in 3.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Liara is hot archaeologist and it turns out her species are nearly immortal sex goddesses, so its going to be hard to convince Mass Effect found a better choice.

I can understand those that go for Garrus, though.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that they only had straight options for male Shepard, and their excuses for it were extremely offensive homophobic bullshit, yes, I skipped the "romance" sub-"plots".

That part of BioWare can eat my entire ass.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see you are a man of culture as well

CommonImpressionableAmethystinepython-size_restricted.gif

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure I didn't romance anyone the first time I played it. I set up a tragedy where Shepherd grew attached to Kaiden, but then he sacrificed himself on Virmire for the cause.

Then I boned Garrus. Again and again.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall doing any romance stuff in any of the Mass Effect games (maybe there's some non-optional stuff I'm forgetting). It's just not appealing.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never done it. I don't like Liara and Kaiden always bites it.

I would have chose Ashley if she was available for femshep, but she probably would have gotten dumped anyway for Garrus.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Never liked either of them so I never did. Always been a Jack lover
And I'll hate Bioware forever for not making her romanceable as FemShep, even though Jack states she's into women as well. ME2 is such a clusterfuck in so many areas...

I used to romance Liara in ME1, but then her character was butchered in ME2 and I just stopped caring. I'd give Ash a shot if Bioware hadn't made her available exclusively for MaleShep out of cowardice (I mean, the lines were there, so obviously they feared backlash). Her character grows a lot through the trilogy, and being potentially bi could add some kore depth as well.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Kaden is bae. Too bad he's only available for FemShep.

If they ever remaster the trilogy, I hope they retroactively include same-sex options in the first two games. Since I tend to role-play as an extension of myself, romance is something I can't pursue in the first two ME games. Still did, anyways, but it was a lot less fulfilling.
I prefer the "kill insufferable racist with a nuke" subplot.
Every time.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kaden is bae. Too bad he's only available for FemShep.

If they ever remaster the trilogy, I hope they retroactively include same-sex options in the first two games. Since I tend to role-play as an extension of myself, romance is something I can't pursue in the first two ME games. Still did, anyways, but it was a lot less fulfilling.

Every time.

He becomes romanceable for MShep in ME3 at least.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm usually using FemShep, and Garrus isn't romanceable in the first game... yeah, completely skip it.

Just for have a good laugh, I start a romance with Kaidan and then kill him. No regrets.

Oct 25, 2017
The tragedy of my Shepard is that she started something with Kelly in ME2, but Kelly died before it got serious enough for a trophy to pop. Traynor came along and things were consummated there (i.e. trophy popped). But before Shepard could work out whether it was genuine or if she was just projecting her unresolved feelings for Kelly onto her new PA, she committed genocide twice.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Liara was just fine as a romance option in my opinion. Got with Tali later in the series and stayed with her. But by the end of ME3 I was wishing I had stayed with Liara.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
Liara is probably the most developed character across in whole the series. You can feel she was a favorite inside Bioware. She is worth the romance in ME1 just to round out the story. The other options are a little empty in comparison.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I wish I could just kill off both Ashley and Kaiden because they are both trash. Liara is really the only true, decently well written romance option until 2.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Back when I was in the closet I always picked Kaidan but when 3 came out I greatly regretted that and wished I had romanced Liara. Now I always pick her because I'm a Proud Gay^tm

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that they only had straight options for male Shepard, and their excuses for it were extremely offensive homophobic bullshit, yes, I skipped the "romance" sub-"plots".

That part of BioWare can eat my entire ass.

Years later I'm still kind of stunned they got away with that, even if it was "back then." Their excuse for accusations of hypocrisy (that they allowed a lesbian romance because that's "hot" but avoided gay relationships for MShep for two games), was some horseshit posted to the BioWare forums (that I can no longer find, so I can't remember if it was a BW creative proper or a community manager or whatever) about how asari aren't "actually" women because their species has only one gender, so technically romancing Liara as FShep isn't gay.

Speaking of Liara, it's really funny how Lair of the Shadow Broker is obviously written based on the assumption that the player romanced her in ME1; the only real difference is that a few lines of dialogue and the ending will directly address it if you did, but even if you didn't, the writing acts like you have some deep emotional connection that everyone else respects (your current love interest will even silently leave the room to let you and Liara have a moment together at the end) and they act like lovers having a tiff during the shuttle chase scene. Again, this is even if you completely shut her down all through ME1.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the only ME characters i really wanted a relationship with were Miranda which never happens because she's not a gay option and Vetra in Andromeda which DID happen and was very cool.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I prefer the "kill insufferable racist with a nuke" subplot.
I always pick Kaiden to save.

I'll never understand how people can play a game(let alone a trilogy) multiple times and willingly choose to ignore 10-20% of the content and not try to explore 100% of their options just for curiosity sake.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she's just not into femshep!

Also I'm pretty sure the thing is, she wasn't actually bisexual? She [reluctantly] slept with both members of a hetero couple because she felt like she owed them and they took her in, but she never actually professes women beyond that and seems regretful about her time there.

I always got the sense less that she was bisexual and more that she had been guilt-tripped into sleeping with both members of the couple, who were huge assholes.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Played through enough times to romance every straight option as Male shep.

When I replay ME1 typically I romance both Ash and Liara. Pop Ash's trophy and then sacrifice her rather then dump her.

I'm such an ass

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I did do a playthrough where I saved her just to see what happens, but it was mostly not worth it.

Unless you did something wrong, if you simply talk to her enough and save her she ends up not being a racist anymore. She is a person who's had bad experiences with other races(aliens) which led to a mindset that you can eventually talk her out of. I've met people like that in real life. Sometimes all it takes is a conversation. There are worse characters than that in both sequels (such as Mordin) and people champion them (mainly because they're quirky, funny, or sing). Shit is weird to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Years later I'm still kind of stunned they got away with that, even if it was "back then." Their excuse for accusations of hypocrisy (that they allowed a lesbian romance because that's "hot" but avoided gay relationships for MShep for two games), was some horseshit posted to the BioWare forums (that I can no longer find, so I can't remember if it was a BW creative proper or a community manager or whatever) about how asari aren't "actually" women because their species has only one gender, so technically romancing Liara as FShep isn't gay.
The mass effect team avoided gay male shep for so long. Which was especially ridculous since Jade Empire had a gay option before ME1 and DA:O did afterwards.

Your thoughts on Mordin?
Or Garrus.

Or Tali