• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Following the recent news. Looks like Disney is finally letting go of the outdated method of selling their IP exclusivity to one entity 🥳
Do you think/want a new KOTOR or a Star Wars RPG in general? And who is your dream team/dev?
Would love to hear everyone thoughts :)

Last edited:

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
This is my pie-in-the-sky, won't ever happen for real answer but:

Ryu Ga Gotoku studio. It can even follow the structure of a Yakuza game, let it be set in one pocket of the Coruscant underworld, or something.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
BioWare is busy with DA and ME

Obsidian and InXile are busy with their own stuff

Bethesda is busy with Starfield and TES

CDPR has Cyberpunk and TW

Larian has Baldur's Gate 3

I have no idea lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would be game for a new Star Wars RPG, but I would prefer it not be KOTOR or an attempt to clone KOTOR. Give us a new setting, a new theme, a new tone, and a new combat system, not "weird, clunky D&D mechanics".

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
I know they're busy, but Obsidian doing a canon KOTOR would be incredible, having it on gamepass day one too 😋😋

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Square Enix. Give the reigns to Nomura. You know you want it.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I really really hope so. And I really hope it wouldn't solely focus on lightsaber combat too.

Who knows, maybe Massive's game will be an open world-ish RPG.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Obsidian. Doesn't need to be KOTOR or even take place in that era, it'd just be awesome to get an RPG in the Star Wars universe by Obsidian. I'd be cool with it being first-person only, too, but I think a lot of people here would hate that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost certain now MS will obtain the rights, and hopefully Obsidian give us a spritual successor to KOTOR! Its free for all on LucasFilm it seems.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Every major WRPG studio is currently occupied. Maybe they give Spiders a chance but I doubt it. We will likely have to wait until next gen.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Larian please.

I don't trust anyone else anymore and I'd like the chance to play it so not Obsidian.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think it will happen.

And I think it's going to be from a somewhat indie studio, not sure why.

Garbuckle

Mar 23, 2018
This is my pie-in-the-sky, won't ever happen for real answer but:

Ryu Ga Gotoku studio. It can even follow the structure of a Yakuza game, let it be set in one pocket of the Coruscant underworld, or something.

I would absolutely love this, set in some section of Coruscant that looks suspiciously like Kamurocho.

Oct 31, 2017
BioWare is busy with DA and ME

Obsidian and InXile are busy with their own stuff

Bethesda is busy with Starfield and TES

CDPR has Cyberpunk and TW

Larian has Baldur's Gate 3

I have no idea lol

Outside of a new Fallout there is nothing Obsidian or InXile could work on that would be as big as KOTOR 1 + 2 remake, let alone KOTOR 3. And I'm not even sure Fallout would be bigger than KOTOR to be honest. I guess the same holds true for everything on that list sans TESVI.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Every major WRPG studio is currently occupied. Maybe they give Spiders a chance but I doubt it. We will likely have to wait until next gen.
Whilst you might be right, I don't think people thought Machine Games had the headspace to make an Indiana Jones game, or that Arkane were working on quite as many projects as they seemingly are.

I think it's possible for big studios and big publishers to be working on more than we might anticipate. Microsoft specifically have a ton of studios and I'm not quite sure we've seen all of their announcements as far as the future is concerned.

It's also possible that the whole purpose of this thread is invalid and that Massive's newly announced game is the Star Wars RPG.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a new Fallout there is nothing Obsidian or InXile could work on that would be as big as KOTOR 1 + 2 remake, let alone KOTOR 3. And I'm not even sure Fallout would be bigger than KOTOR to be honest. I guess the same holds true for everything on that list sans TESVI.

Fallout is one of the best selling WRPG franchises and more importantly an IP that they own vs KOTOR an excellent game that while popular with the hardcore crowd never set the world on fire from a sales perspective.

Whilst you might be right, I don't think people thought Machine Games had the headspace to make an Indiana Jones game, or that Arkane were working on quite as many projects as they seemingly are.

I think it's possible for big studios and big publishers to be working on more than we think. Microsoft specifically have a ton of studios and I'm not quite sure we've seen all of their announcements as far as the future is concerned.

Obsidian is working on multiple projects. InExile is working on their dream game. BGS has Starfield and TES VI. I would love for them to do it but I think the timing doesn't work.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Let From Software work on it. Give me that Sekiro-like lightsaber combat. Like in JFO, but actually responsive and fun.

Kidding, of course. FromSoft makes amazing games, but I doubt they would come up with a good Star Wars game.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Obsidian would be awesome, but they seem pretty busy with their own stuff. I honestly hope it's not Larian, I'm already kinda bummed that Baldur's Gate is turn based instead of rtwp and I'd rather not have that for KoTOR too. Bioware is the obvious choice but their recent output doesn't inspire much confidence. Maybe Playground as a dark horse? Fable in 2021/2022 then Star Wars in 2024?

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Rn2hiNa.jpg

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Obsidian would be awesome, but they seem pretty busy with their own stuff. I honestly hope it's not Larian, I'm already kinda bummed that Baldur's Gate is turn based instead of rtwp and I'd rather not have that for KoTOR too. Bioware is the obvious choice but their recent output doesn't inspire much confidence. Maybe Playground as a dark horse? Fable in 2021/2022 then Star Wars in 2024?
RTWP is like the old KOTORs? Because I hope we don't get that.

Oct 31, 2017
Fallout is one of the best selling WRPG franchises and more importantly an IP that they own vs KOTOR an excellent game that while popular with the hardcore crowd never set the world on fire from a sales perspective.

Obsidian is working on multiple projects. InExile is working on their dream game. BGS has Starfield and TES VI. I would love for them to do it but I think the timing doesn't work.

Fallout never did any major numbers until Fallout 3. Fallout and Fallout 2 sales were pretty mediocre IIRC. Star Wars is much more popular today than it was 15 years ago. That Disney hype machine has put in the work. IMO KOTOR 3, assuming it's quality, would outsell Fallout 5 by a good margin. You do have a good point on they owning the FO IP though.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, I'd be all over a new Obsidian Star Wars RPG. It's nice that there seems there might be a slight chance of it happening as well after years with no opportunity at all.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware would be ideal if they're at all capable of the quality they've produced in the past, but that seems unlikely. Whoever it is that ultimately works on it, a new SW RPG (especially if it's a third KOTOR) should come to as many platforms as possible.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Give it to Tri-Ace and make it have a Resonance of Fate style battle system, complete with blaster / lightsaber upgrade system.

Just let someone else write the story.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I'd be all over a new Obsidian Star Wars RPG. It's nice that there seems there might be a slight chance of it happening as well after years with no opportunity at all.
Pretty sure Obsidian already has like 4 projects they're working on so I'm not sure they have the manpower to tackle another. Of course Star Wars is big enough to maybe put other projects on the back burner, but I'd honestly rather see how Avowed and their other games shape up and have KoTOR come from someone who can do it soon er

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like Chimera Squad but any kind of XCOM set in Star Wars would be awesome. Clone Wars? Hero clones + Jedi units

I mentioned Chimera Squad because each member in that game is a unique individual, so clever writing could make each Star Wars squad member be really memorable. I'd rather have that than nameless people (although I did get very attached to my peeps in XCOM).