• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean masocore is the name of the super hard game genre. But the soulslike games are no where near that hard. Just because you can die a lot by being bad at it, doesn't mean it is a masocore. Calling Soulslikes Masocore games really devalues the name.

Did Nioh 2 seriously say that in its PR? That's hilarious.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I do love that every thread that starts with "So, do we agree" is always a deeply controversial opinion, that most people will not agree with.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Sounds like a music genre I would never listen to, but I love these types of games (and I don't think of IWBTG as even sharing the same space).

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard that term before. The idea that people only play hard games as some sort of self punishment is way off base in the first place.

Aug 10, 2019
That sounds like a term that From Softwares competitors want to use to take focus away from Dark Souls and Miyazaki's other games having such a huge effect on the genre.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
The Souls series is not remotely comparable to I Wanna Be The Guy in terms of difficulty or general design.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was this term found on 4chan alongside a

NBCoM44.jpg
???

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. They're third-person action-adventure games. (Or maybe just action games?) I feel like getting so hyper-specific about sub-genres is a silly exercise. I guess "Souls-like" is fine if you really want to go there.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's either Masocore, or I'm going to keep tagging names to the end of Souls like it was stupid the first time people did it.

SoulsBorneKiroRing

EDIT:

Also for people unaware- it's been around.

www.giantbomb.com

Masocore (Concept) - Giant Bomb

Through trial and error gameplay, complex game mechanics and intense difficulty, masocore games are specifically designed to frustrate players over and over again.

tvtropes.org

Platform Hell - TV Tropes

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a plumber jumping into an invisible coin block and falling to his death, repeatedly- forever. Video game protagonists often have bad days. It's not uncommon to have to Double Jump between Floating …

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
can we agree on stopping trying to find new names to stuff thats already stablished

soulslike are not masocore, metroidvanias are not pathfinders, beat'em'ups are not belt scrollers. stop trying to make [insert whatever new bullshit here] happen.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Soulslike is fine (if the game actually is Souslike). Soulsborne was always annoying. Good to see it fading away somewhat.

Masocore will never catch on widely.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's not because you think a game is hard that other people play it for masochistic reasons.

I wanna be the guy and Kaizo Mario type games are really really different from a challenging action rpg.

Is Contra masocore? What about Ghost'n'Goblins? Maybe Sonic in an actual Mega Drive without save states? Imo any Souls game is a lot easier than Sonic without save states.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like (yet another) sub genre of metal... It's souls like. From deserve credit for what they gave us.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has beat all the modern From games several times over, and couldn't last longer than five minutes with I Wanna Be the Guy, they are not the same genre of game. I don't think Souls games should be defined by their difficulty, regardless if you think they are hard or not. What makes them unique and appealing is not the difficulty.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I think the games would have to be significantly more harder for "masocore" to stick, they're really not that bad

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I feel disgusted by that name. It sounds like it is trying too hard to be edgy. I feel like soulsborn is a good name. Because the game plays around with soul system, and how you are reborn after you die

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
I like the sound of it, but that term probably describe better famous *trial & error* games like I Wanna Be The Guy et similia

Meanwhile, I hate "soulsborne" with a passion

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Why are people opposed on principle to genre names that include a specific game? Soulslike works fine.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
Then, tbf, masocore would certainly fit more specifically Nioh games than Souls-like at large

Nioh has way more "if you don't know how to approach this, you're dead" encounters than your average hardcore game

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'll never understand how Dark Souls got a reputation for being THAT hard. Yeah, you have to play more carefully than many other action games, but "masocore" is just ridiculous.

Also, "hard game" is not a genre. I love the game, but the harder challenges in Celeste truly are masochistic, particularly the final DLC level. It's a lot more useful to call it a platformer than to claim it belongs in the same genre as Nioh because they're both difficult.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
exactly, just like roguelike

I'm a bit biased, but I am very pro the term Roguelike. I fucking love the original Rogue. I used to watch my Dad play it while sitting on his lap when I was a toddler.

So the term Roguelike is just the best one we've got. The things that link those games together is that they are all building off of the core mechanics or Rogue.