• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of the name because it vastly oversells the premise. I don't enjoy Soulslike either, because I really don't enjoy how stupid it sounds for any subgenre to have "like" in its name. I prefer Soulsborne, which communicates the same idea without sounding as dumb.
To be fair, "like" is much better than every FPS post 2002 being dubbed in the "Halo Killer" genre lol.
I truly await the first "Souls Killer" game.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The community has already spoken years ago. its Soulslike.
Not all soulslike games are masocore, and not all masocore games are soulslike

You cant really just bundle up soulslike games with insert any super hard game and then call it masocore.

Retozhe

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Get off my lawn with your fancy-shmancy words!
Not for this your grandpa fought Ornstein and Smough till sunrise.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
No, we do not agree... if you want a alternative genre to Soulslike, then just call them action adventure games.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
tenor.gif
Yeah my reaction too.

On the one hand its cringey as all hell, on the other hand, I feel like it fits the overall tone of the games and the discussion around them

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Also the term Masocore has been around forever (80's). and means games with unfair difficulties. which instantly does not apply to souls games.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Developers will call their game whatever they want and leave it at that. Nioh is masocore according to Team Ninja. Dark Souls and the rest of their games are just FromSoftware's action RPGs.

After that, it's up to whether you want to waste time arguing the semantics of it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Soulslike games aren't nearly as hard as you want to make them out to be to call them that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's a stupid marketing term for Nioh. So, no. Let's stop pretending it's a thing.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Also the term Masocore has been around forever (80's). and means games with unfair difficulties. which instantly does not apply to souls games.
Yeah I came in here to say this. The term is already in use and means something totally different. I Want to Be The Guy, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the souls games are not sufficiently difficult and unfair to qualify as masocore

the difficulty and unfairness need to be at least at the level of i wanna be the guy

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can try to promote a new genre name and there's a chance it will catch on if it resonates with people. Valve attempted to make "action RTS" a thing but League had promoted "MOBA" for long enough that it had already stuck. Before that the genre was just "things that are influenced by Dota" and included stuff like Demigod and Guilty Gear 2.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Awful name and like with "pathfinders" it's too late to try to force a new name at this point. The reputation that Dark Souls is a game where you just run into the meat grinder is a probably a big reason why so many people immediately went to the Tombs in Dark Souls 1 and didn't realise they were there too early.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Masocore is a portmanteau of masochism and hardcore. It refers to a particular subset of platformers that require nearly pixel perfect execution, most famously 'i want to be the guy'. Think like what bullet hell is to shmup, masocore is to platformer.

Soulslike refers to games that closely follow the design of FROM software's souls series of games. They are usually third person action games with a checkpoint system, a resource cost associated with dying, a stamina system, a very purposeful set of animations, and some visual language for being able to observe or predict danger before it befalls you. Like 'Roguelike' before it, the term evolved (or devolved depending on who you ask) from referring to games using all similar systems into anything using one or more similar systems.
Yeah, this. Souls games are nothing like kaizo-style platformers.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
A super hard game is a super hard game. We really gonna act like hard games didn't exist before Souls?

Or are you referring to games with enemies that respawn after activating a hub thing? And meticulous level design and shortcuts and Z targeting and rolling? What if all those mechanics were in an "easy" game? Then masocore wouldn't make sense. Please stop

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Masocore implies giving in to submission but these games are all about overcoming the challenge and conquering the game. It doesn't fit.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Team Ninja probably just felt weird calling their game a soulslike, which is weird because they are super upfront with that fact that Nioh is inspired by Dark Souls. I think the community has already cemented soulslike.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Masocore describes games that are basically "memorize absolutely everything about the layout or you will die (like I Wanna Be The Guy like you said)". Souls games and the like are difficult games but require patience over memorization. Soulslike is fine by me, just like how Metroidvania is fine by me.
Nailed it, totally agree.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Sorry, the name Masocore is taken. The period from 2005-2010 was the peak of the genre. Matt Thorson's early work (the Jumper series), Anna Anthropy's Mighty Jill Off, I wanna be the guy, Kaizo Mario, etc. Super Meat Boy is what took it mainstream. The genre still exists, though the name is used less frequently.

Edit: Forgot about VVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh! Plus, Psychosomnium by Cactus. I get so excited every time I think about the mid 2000s in freeware indie games. So many of those creators have gone on to make more polished and popular versions of their early work.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
No, because you don't need to follow the souls formula to be a masocore game. Bullet hell's can be masocore for example.