• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I don't see how this is a problem. People will hold onto their Nintendo games forever and it shows. If we go back to the Gamecube era, let's compare Halo 2 and Super Smash Bros Melee. Both were the top selling games on their respective consoles and sold around 6-7 million copies. Yet I can find Halo 2 for $5 and the cheapest I've ever seen Melee is $40. I know Melee is still played today but for other things like Super Mario Sunshine you see similar prices. The Switch games maintaining value is just what you get when your company has a history of games being valued even years later.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm actually 28 but thanks for the dickish shitpost :) especially since I'm right.

But the local Nintendo cult has clearly been brainwashed into thinking artificially inflating game prices due to a monopoly on their systems = magically good games lmao

I really did not realize Nintendo's fanbase had become the Apple fans of video games, yikes

28 is still young. And I'm a PlayStation fan and I still think Nintendo is right on this one (see my above post as to why). Game developers not being able to sell their games at full price has encouraged them to lean more on microtransactions and loot boxes, actual anti consumer practices, to make money. Nintendo has been resisting that. And they can because they can make a profit off the sale of the game cause their consumers don't expect to get the game cheaper.

When I was 20 something I had some one warn me why insisting mobile games be dirt cheap was a bad thing and would result in games designed to just trick you into spending money (microtransactions). I was insistant he was wrong. Low and behold, he was right. Look at the mobile market now. And you can see the same thing happening now with AAA games. Hell, 60 dollars is dirt cheap for games compared to back then when you consider inflation (and the fact that games have gone up in price).

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
(The real answer: people don't sell back their Nintendo games at nearly the rate all other games get sold used.... the reason all big publisher games drop in price is because of used disc penetration

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If a game drops in price, it's always because:

1) people have stopped buying it in favor of other games and the publisher wants to prop up its sales
2) it didn't sell that well in the first place and retailers want to move inventory

There is no pro-consumer reason why games fall in price.
I agree, I was just saying precedent plays into consumer buying choices, there's a contingent who wants games at launch, and a contingent that will wait because they expect the price drop eventually.That precedent doesn't factor in to buying Nintendo games as much. I don't think either this practice or Nintendo's is anti-consumer.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
(The real answer: people don't sell back their Nintendo games at nearly the rate all other games get sold used.... the reason all big publisher games drop in price is because of used disc penetration
Interesting, do you think that as digital purchasing becomes more common and less physical games are on the market, discounting games relatively shortly after release will become less common?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Super late to the Switch party, basically just picked one up for Smash Bros around Christmas and figured I'd go check out some of the older exclusives I'd missed.

Imagine my surprise when Zelda BOTW and Bayonetta 2 are both still $60 new everywhere I look. What's the deal with that? Where do people look for cheap Switch games? Is this just Nintendo being anti-consumer because they can?

I'm a pretty big consumer advocate and will call out anti-consumer shit whenever I see it, but this is definitely not anti-consumer. You need to learn the definition of anti-consumer.

This is simply capitalism at work, there's still demand for BOTW at full price so why should Nintendo drop the price?

There are Nintendo games that aren't in as much demand and they definitely see a price drop.

Jan 10, 2018
This is just silly.

You really think there is something magically good about Nintendo exclusives that warrant them to stay at $60 that Sony and MS don't have?

Please. The Nintendo cult is approaching Apple levels at this point.

God of War, Spider-Man, and RDR2 all got multiple GOTY noms and near-universal acclaim and are all $30-40 on Amazon right now.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...-console-mario-game-for-330-3-10-3-16.104267/

It's my own fault for not doing the research

Hard to argue on that one

Deleted member 7373

The lowest first party games generally go down to is 40 dollars. Nintendo basically never does deep discounts on their own games.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just because people will keep buying it at full price doesn't mean it's not anti-consumer.
How is demand and supply such a hard concept to grasp? It's been that way since human beings decided to start trading things. They could even have $500 pricetags for a decade, that wouldn't be anti-consumer either, just really dumb.

Nov 11, 2017
I just wish the cheaper Nintendo games dropped in price. $60 for Odyssey and BotW is fine, but stuff like Arms, 1-2, Toad, etc should drop. Particularly annoying for games I already own on Wii U.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the cheaper Nintendo games dropped in price. $60 for Odyssey and BotW is fine, but stuff like Arms, 1-2, Toad, etc should drop. Particularly annoying for games I already own on Wii U.

This is something that should happen or somehow if you purchased those games digitally through Nintendo you get an automatic discount.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The reason why I only have 2 Nintendo exclusives (BOTW and Odyssey) and the funny think is the best game I have played I paid 8$ (Hollow Knight),I would love to play DK:TF or Bayonetta 1/2,but paying over 30$ (more like twice) for 4 years improved ports never gonna happen.
I will only buy must have at 60$,like the next Pokémon.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Some people talk like games are cars or houses, damn they are just toys.

It wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo had better regional pricing like Sony, MS and Steam. $60 on US is absolutely not the same as $60 in Brazil

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Some people talk like games are cars or houses, damn they are just toys.

It wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo had better regional pricing like Sony, MS and Steam. $60 on US is absolutely not the same as $60 in Brazil

A lot of people don't have simple business understanding. They just see something and think it is unfair without understanding how things work.

Nintendo has been this way for as long as I can remember and Sony and Microsoft would gladly do the same thing if either company could.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
They're full-priced 2 years later because people buy them full-priced 2 years later.

A side note, these giant corporations don't need to be defended by us, the consumers.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the good thing about buying main line Nintendo games, they never lose that much value even after the generation cycle is over.

Hell some titles even get low print and you find the value increases

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Doom on Switch will still cost £40 - £50 when Doom Eternal has dropped to £5 - £10 on every other platform.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
A lot of people don't have simple business understanding. They just see something and think it is unfair without understanding how things work.

Nintendo has been this way for as long as I can remember and Sony and Microsoft would gladly do the same thing if either company could.

So I'm glad they can't, but I don't think they would remove regional pricing.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
Because Nintendo doesnt like lowering prices, nor emulation, nor anything consumer friendly

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Usually first party Nintendo games are worth the full price tbh. They maintain their value pretty much for decades. That's why nowadays copies of Melee are still going for $50, especially if the box and disc is in great condition. Nice little investment on the long run if you plan to sell your Nintendo products in the future.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Agreed. I don't understand all these takes calling Nintendo anti consumer.

I can buy one of their games at launch and I'm confident that it will still be the same price a few months later.

Unlike other games, where if I buy at launch and then it drops $20 or $30 in price a few weeks later, I feel ripped off.

Lol you serious!? This is some very interesting reasoning for being happy that Nintendo games almost never go on sale. I assume that Nintedo feels no need to drop their prices because where else are you going to play their games? I don't own a switch but I assume you can buy any of their games used? That sucks for people who want to stick with digital though.

I have an Xbox and I have noticed some very old games still selling for $60 digital. I love buying digital but when I see 2 to 4 year old games selling for $60, it concerns me about the future.

All that being said, the amount of people who say things, like the poster above, to defend Nintendo, is very strange to me. Trying to justify old games being sold at full price is just weird.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super late to the Switch party, basically just picked one up for Smash Bros around Christmas and figured I'd go check out some of the older exclusives I'd missed.

Imagine my surprise when Zelda BOTW and Bayonetta 2 are both still $60 new everywhere I look. What's the deal with that? Where do people look for cheap Switch games? Is this just Nintendo being anti-consumer because they can?

It's pro consumer. You can buy a game day one because you don't have to worry about the price going down a week later.

Anyway there are often sales of Nintendo games on the eShop, but after a few days the price goes back to normal. Physical games have sales every now and then, depends on the retailer.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the question becomes why this is... My guess would be that Nintendo fans perceive Nintendo games less as disposable commodity and more as long term purchases due to their replay values and "evergreen" quality, perceived or otherwise.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
You know, reading through a bunch of the discussion in this thread, and seeing the gripes that Nintendo's games aren't being cut in price when it happens so commonly elsewhere, has me thinking back to a topic that was brought up around here a week or so ago that revived the discussion about excessive game monetization and the old "well games are so much more expensive to make now, so they have to add all the exploitative microtransaction stuff to recoup costs, should the standard cost of games be raised?" take.

I can't help but laugh to myself a little that somehow both of these can be highly-supported takes. On one hand, it's "anti-consumer" apparently for games to not cut their MSRP within a year or two of its release, and on the other hand games should obviously start off selling for $80 or more instead of 60 because publishers will choke to death on their own ambition otherwise. How grand will it be to live in a future where games start selling for $80 standard right out the door (even more than that for their six different collector's editions pre-orders), only for initial sales to tank because most consumers will catch on to the fact that if the game doesn't sell well, the publisher will panic and cut the price down within a couple of months. So what was gained by raising the price in the first place? Most of the large publishers are simultaneously reaching to pull more money out of consumers while diminishing the value of their own base product. Putting both of these takes together paints a pretty cynical future.

Meanwhile Nintendo games continue selling for $60 and will sell well at launch and for a long time after, because there's little to no incentive to wait and most of their first party offerings aren't likely to see games from other companies release in the immediate aftermath that reach the same niche. Nintendo hardware relying largely on Nintendo software is both a blessing and a curse for them in that sense, since they don't get the same level of third party support to prop up the console's library but that also gives their games less to compete with in the ecosystem, allowing them to retain their own value longer.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
The game prices are Switch's biggest drawback to me. It doesn't only apply to Nintendo's titles but also to some third party games:

Rayman Legends 40€ vs 20€
Puyo Puyo Tetris 40€ vs 20€
Bomberman 50€ vs 40€
Those Resident Evil games 30€ vs 20€ I guess?

These are digital game prices on eshop vs. PSN, so I'm not including Steam or even key resellers on PC. Of course there are decent sales on eshop, but they also exist on other platforms, so for example Rayman remains twice as expensive. I refuse to pay that tax - if it were physical games I'd understand it.
That means I don't buy the games on Switch because they are too expensive and I don't buy them on another platform either because I'd definitely prefer a portable version - which then of course means I don't buy them at all.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Interesting, do you think that as digital purchasing becomes more common and less physical games are on the market, discounting games relatively shortly after release will become less common?

I'd say it will be almost certain. People wishing for an all digital future are just wishing for higher and higher expenses with less options.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol you serious!? This is some very interesting reasoning for being happy that Nintendo games almost never go on sale. I assume that Nintedo feels no need to drop their prices because where else are you going to play their games? I don't own a switch but I assume you can buy any of their games used? That sucks for people who want to stick with digital though.

I have an Xbox and I have noticed some very old games still selling for $60 digital. I love buying digital but when I see 2 to 4 year old games selling for $60, it concerns me about the future.

All that being said, the amount of people who say things, like the poster above, to defend Nintendo, is very strange to me. Trying to justify old games being sold at full price is just weird.

Seeing a two year old game sell for $60 concerns you about the future, but seeing a game that was $60 at launch sell for $30 weeks after launch doesn't?

Why do you believe that a game is not worth $60 when it is two years old, but believe it was worth $60 at launch? Is the game any different two years later (these days with patches, it's provably better than the launch version)? If you don't think the game is worth the price, don't buy it.

Most of the games that I buy, I trade in to amazon or Best Buy after I beat them. Why is it crazy that I'm glad Nintendo keeps their prices at $60 so that these games maintain their value when I trade them in?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
5xJ1Oqy.png

And to add actual nuance I'll just requote this excellent post.

how are you 28 and no nothing about Nintendo products ("do their games have a ton of DLC and microtransaction, IDK")...and you make this thread hours AFTER Nintendo announces an aggressive sale for all its Mario titles? Nintendo is also offering roughly $30 in eshop credit on new Switch purchases. Finally, we just passed the holiday season, where all retailers have had deep sales on these games.

So yeah...maybe one of the worst series of posts of all time. And, this magical $40 price point is no more or less anti-consumer than $60...because who said $40 is fair? Why not $30? Hey Celeste costs $20 and is GOTY material so anything more than that is anti-consumer? You can't just pick a random price and say anything about that is anti-consumer, with no context.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it will be almost certain. People wishing for an all digital future are just wishing for higher and higher expenses with less options.
I'm a bit skeptical that price reduction will become less common because the PC market is almost entirely digital now, and things still seem to discount and go on sale very frequently on Steam. Maybe this is pressure to match console prices, but I generally have a "wait for the Steam sale" attitude towards PC games as well.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting on Pokken for what feels like forever. No sale still.

You and me both. I have it on Wii U and I want it on Switch but not $60 enough. I've seen carts on sale but I don't use carts preferring to keep it all on a Micro SD card. I don't think it's ever gone on sale at the eShop.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think so, because digital games don't take up shelf space and have a close to 0 cost of distribution. Steam sales don't happen because Valve is charitable; they happen because when the marginal cost of 'producing' and distributing another unit of a game is a nickel in bandwidth costs, charging a dollar is good business sense. Obviously you can eventually cannibalize sales at higher price points by doing that, and I think that's why Steam has been less aggressive over the years, but the fundamental economics don't change.

Then again, other services aren't as aggressive with their sales in digital distribution, which is particularly confusing because console DD stores are competing with used discs. So perhaps the calculus is something different - but as we go over to complete DD, I would expect console storefronts to start looking more like GoG, at the very least.

(Of course, the business model that actually makes the most sense when the marginal cost of production and distribution is almost zero is charging a subscription fee)

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

I don't think that is the biggest reason. But we will have to wait and see in 2 years after MS released their next gen system with an all digital box if the prices drop slower than PS5.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's shitty isn't it? The only Nintendo first party game I've bought is Zelda and Xenoblade 2, lowering prices like everyone else definitely would make me try some others.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
The game prices are Switch's biggest drawback to me. It doesn't only apply to Nintendo's titles but also to some third party games:

Rayman Legends 40€ vs 20€
Puyo Puyo Tetris 40€ vs 20€
Bomberman 50€ vs 40€
Those Resident Evil games 30€ vs 20€ I guess?

These are digital game prices on eshop vs. PSN, so I'm not including Steam or even key resellers on PC. Of course there are decent sales on eshop, but they also exist on other platforms, so for example Rayman remains twice as expensive. I refuse to pay that tax - if it were physical games I'd understand it.
That means I don't buy the games on Switch because they are too expensive and I don't buy them on another platform either because I'd definitely prefer a portable version - which then of course means I don't buy them at all.

On the subject of third-parties, this at least I understand and can sympathize with. I don't get why Resident Evil 0, 1, and 4 are being marked up when they were previously released for modern platforms for a cheaper price. Unless there's some crazy new addition beyond just gyro aiming, there's not much of a reason for a price difference. Especially since they released Okami at $20 the same as every other platform WITH the benefits of the Wii version.

And also I'm not entirely sure why digital prices aren't reduced across the board. Like, Puyo Puyo Tetris launched on PSN just yesterday for $19.99, but it's STILL $39.99 on Switch. That much I don't understand personally. Maybe Switch owners don't mind that?

But for Nintendo games or other publishers that keep their prices at $60 consistently (like Rockstar and GTA), I don't really care. It's when it's inconsistent when I will raise an eyebrow at.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
While I disagree with the OP, I can see how someone can feel that way.

I imagine people who got into games with iOS back in the day couldn't believe the prices of 3DS and Vita games.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
For the most part they take a long while. It's why BotW and Odyssey are the only two games I have right now. Been wanting to pick up Bayonetta 2 for the longest and it's still $40 or more everywhere I look.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo

If this was the only reason, prices would be rising with increased digital sales, and pc prices would be higher than console.