• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
Okay, name the ones you think can sell for years at $60.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
eh, guess I'll keep scouring for used games or see how much I can selling the Switch, I definitely don't want to reward blatantly anti-consumer practices.
You should get a good deal on selling your games when you do, since those "anti-consumer" policies keep their value so high!

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
If the market is still willing to buy your game at $60 why lower the price, what we can hope for is switch games getting a Nintendo select collection and offering games for 29.99.
Does the "market" have any other choice of they still want to play the game?

Nintendo's pricing philosophy has remained the same for 3 generations, not surprising, but still kind of shitty.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I've been boycotting Nintendo because of this(and other stuff, like their hilarious virtual console prices.)

Of course I still play their games, I just buy them used now.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
People explaining why a brand doesnt drop price and saying isnt a anticonsumer practice fanboys or corporate apologist

They are only stating facts, and not making a thread with console warring in mind.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Not anti-consumer. Just don't buy the console - the main reason why I haven't bought a Switch because of the prices.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if the thread was just "it sucks Nintendo doesn't drop prices" I think 90% of people would be on board (as has been demonstrated in previous threads on the subject).
"Nintendo doesn't drop prices is anti-consumer" on the other hand is, uh.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just silly.

You really think there is something magically good about Nintendo exclusives that warrant them to stay at $60 that Sony and MS don't have?

Please. The Nintendo cult is approaching Apple levels at this point.

God of War, Spider-Man, and RDR2 all got multiple GOTY noms and near-universal acclaim and are all $30-40 on Amazon right now.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
First Party Nintendo games hold at full price for a long time, if they ever drop. It's been that way for a long time.

At some point, Nintendo will introduce whatever they're calling the Player's Choice line for the Switch, and then they'll drop, but that's probably a year or two out at least.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alternatively, you can view it as a positive that Nintendo games hold their price. You can buy a game at launch for full price, play as much of it as you want, and then sell it six months later for 80% of what you paid for it.

Agreed. I don't understand all these takes calling Nintendo anti consumer.

I can buy one of their games at launch and I'm confident that it will still be the same price a few months later.

Unlike other games, where if I buy at launch and then it drops $20 or $30 in price a few weeks later, I feel ripped off.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to buy some games at lower prices, EBay is always an option. I've gotten a few games there at a lower cost.

Alternatively, Amazon does some discounts for certain games. I've got a few preordered that are below their suggested retail price.

If you have Twitter, I suggest you follow Cheapassgamer and/or Wario64 and choose to get notifications whenever they tweet. It's a fantastic way to let you know when games are on sale.

But usually, Nintendo games don't go down in price unless it's a sale or a retailer doing a promotion.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's actually "pro consumer" because you know the value of the product you are buying and you know you wont get boned buying something day 1 and a week later it's 20 bucks like fallout 76. And for people that buy physical and resell their games then their games also retain value and can sell for higher prices. It's better for the consumer and for the publisher.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just silly.

You really think there is something magically good about Nintendo exclusives that warrant them to stay at $60 that Sony and MS don't have?

Please. The Nintendo cult is approaching Apple levels at this point.

God of War, Spider-Man, and RDR2 all got multiple GOTY noms and near-universal acclaim and are all $30-40 on Amazon right now.
I didn't say there's anything "magical" about Mario Tennis Aces that makes it better than God of War and thus likelier to hold its price.
Nintendo's 30 year old business model has trained customers to not expect price drops, so they don't, so they buy the games for full price rather than waiting for a drop, which perpetuates the model.
Sony, Bethesda, Microsoft, etc. do not do this. They have trained their customers to expect price drops.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is well know to rarely devalue their games (several years later with stuff like Nintendo select on few ones), and the customers knowing that usually don't wait before buying them.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It is lol. Well since the N64 I guess.

And I guess there are now posters defending Nintendo's behavior so I guess that probably won't be changing any time soon.

Meh, guess I'll keep scouring for used games or see how much I can selling the Switch, I definitely don't want to reward blatantly anti-consumer practices. Serves me right for not doing my research before picking up the console, I was so confident the pricing of all the games would be in line with the rest of the industry
You don't even seem to know what "anti-consumer" means. Because it's not anti-consumer, at all.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Console warring and antagonizing other users over a series of posts.
Kids dropping the word "anti-consumer" without proper use.

I'm actually 28 but thanks for the dickish shitpost :) especially since I'm right.

But the local Nintendo cult has clearly been brainwashed into thinking artificially inflating game prices due to a monopoly on their systems = magically good games lmao

I really did not realize Nintendo's fanbase had become the Apple fans of video games, yikes

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I see more sales digitally than physical. But that really depends on what store you go to as well. I see Switch games discounted a lot at Walmart but almost never at Target. GameStop, (aside from used) tends to have some sales but it's not usually with big name titles. It's definitely a YMMV scenario. But I do gotta praise the eShop for having some decent sales every so often.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are taking this really personally. Nintendo games holding their value, or Sony games not, has nothing to do with their perceived quality or the lack thereof. It has to do with business model and customer expectations.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think this thread was not made in good faith.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
But the local Nintendo cult has clearly been brainwashed into thinking artificially inflating game prices due to a monopoly on their systems = magically good games lmao

I really did not realize Nintendo's fanbase had become the Apple fans of video games, yikes
And that's how you lost all your seriousness. You sound just like a troll.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually 28 but thanks for the dickish shitpost :) especially since I'm right.

jesus dude get over yourself

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure you made this thread in good faith.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Most people that already have a switch probably already have Zelda. Most people who buy a switch will probably also buy Zelda. A lot of people hang onto their physical Nintendo games. Nintendo has no incentive to lower the price.

Oct 26, 2017
It is lol. Well since the N64 I guess.

And I guess there are now posters defending Nintendo's behavior so I guess that probably won't be changing any time soon.

Meh, guess I'll keep scouring for used games or see how much I can selling the Switch, I definitely don't want to reward blatantly anti-consumer practices. Serves me right for not doing my research before picking up the console, I was so confident the pricing of all the games would be in line with the rest of the industry

Again, how is it anti-consumer? You're twisting the definition and making it sound like because you're not getting what you want (aka cheap games), that it's somehow automatically anti-consumer. That's flat out wrong, and to make matters strange, you're bringing up what Sony and Microsoft are doing as if it means that Nintendo has no choice but to do the exact same. That's you being entitled. Businesses are allowed to make decisions based on what they're looking for. What one company decides to do doesn't mean that another company has to make that same business decision as if it makes sense for them.

Anti-consumerist practices would be something like not having a refund system in place for digital transactions despite the fact that everything we buy in the retail space has refund and consumer protections. Crying about a game being too expensive for you is not at that level.

I'm sure you will just handwave everything I said as a "defense force" without properly addressing the points though.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
especially since I'm right.

lmao WHAT on Earth?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

You sure you're 28? :/

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
a big reason that makes me play eshop games at a reasonable price more than nintendo games. I never paid for something at 60 in a decade.